• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Future of Bloodborne (Fixes/Tweaks/Additions) * Spoiler Warning *

Vitor711

All smart changes.

The various improvements from DkS2 that didn't make it into BB do make me scratch my head. I do hope it isn't a Treyarch/Infintiy Ward rivalry issue where internal studios are too busy competing with each other to be willing to throw aside pride and just crib what works.

The lack of an ability to respawn enemies at the lanterns was criminal. Made farming really tedious which, due to it's occasional necessity (I'd be shocked if the vast majority of players didn't run out of vials at least once when repeating a particularly tough boss), was sort of a sore spot for me.

Info on loading screens would also be appreciated and I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the clipping annoying as hell. Especially when there's so much less weapon/armour variety. I feel like that should give them more time to just make sure that enough attention is paid to things like this.

I agree with the OP: There are many good things that DS 2 brought to the series but have been totally overlooked because of its flaws. Some of these flaws are usually exaggerated by some hyperbolic claims: "thing has made the game totally unplayable!!, F-you B Team!!!"

I think BB would've benefited by implementing some DS2 features.

red731

Pretty nice wish writeup, Fireflu.

Have you sent a link to this thread to Mr. Miyazaki and FROM twitters?
Would be pretty awesome to have your ideas come into game.

Good points and well written but 99% of that will not come to this game.

Most of it reads like suggestions for future games in the series anyway.

The game is great and only needs a couple issues polished and some DLC before we will start looking toward a sequel that expands on this one.

Ferr986

I don't really agree with early lamp porting. This should be only available when you're just too far, like in Dark Souls.

Also, I'm usually against respect but it's true that a shit ton of weapons are locked on the late part of the game, so it may be good having it here, but only once per character.

The rest of the stuff, yeah I agree.

KORNdoggy

i agree with most of that. but i don't want to make the HUB world redundant by allowing you to do everything at a lantern. one of the many reasons i like demon's souls over dark souls is becasue of the hubworld. and i like that they brought that element back for bloodborne. they esentially combined the interconectivity of dark souls with the easily navigated safe HUB of demon's souls.

Alo0oy

Banned
Great thread, but some suggestions here would contradict some lore stuff in the game (like Visceral attacks, the "claw" visceral attacks are very very important to the lore).

EDIT:

Good post OP!

I agree with all of the technical issues that should be sorted out. There is also an elevator that can break and prevent you from finishing an optional boss, and a bug that ruins the AI of bosses when you use the suspend/resume function on PS4. These should be addressed.

As for gameplay enhancements, I expect many people to post here saying that blood vials should function like estus. I notice that you didn't say that but want warping / leveling from bonfires. While I don't think this would break the game or anything, I feel like it's fine how it is now, long loading aside. I kinda like that you get one "attempt" per load from Hunter's Dream. It's the Demon's Souls way of doing things. Not allowing warping makes the shortcuts seem more meaningful. Some of the later shortcuts warp back to earlier lamps in the level. They give you reason to explore with plenty of locked doors, side areas, and NPC quests. I also believe not being able to rest at a lamp to respawn enemies is in place to discourage heavy farming. You have to use the Bold Hunter's Mark to farm most efficiently (without dying on purpose) to avoid two load screens but even then it doesn't replenish your vials. If you want another fresh shot, you have to go to the Dream. It kinda makes sense. I can't deny that DS is more convenient.

I think a lot of these design decisions (no warping, consumable health and "mana" in the form of QS) is a result of the game not being as loot-focused as before.

A respec option would be invaluable because too many of weapons/tools are locked into the late game. I want to make another rbuild to use the Chikage but I have to beat like half of the game before I can even use it, and there's not really anything to do with a Skill/bloodtinge build before then. The Souls games didn't have that problem.

Blood Vials are also important to the lore, they're actually the most important item in the game in terms of the lore.

Schadows

Neo Member
I would add some small changes to the UI in specific menues :

- When trying to levell-up with the doll, provide a way to consume blood echo items (don't remember the name) we have in the inventory.
Each time, I talk to the doll just to see how many blood echoes I lack, then exit her menu, enter inventory, search the blood item and use it, then re-enter her menu, etc.
It is not a huge task, but it is tedious

- The same can be said about weapon / outfit shop where you cannot compare it with you currently matching equipped piece of cloth.
Ideally, it would be even better to see all the match piece of cloth you possess (not only the one currently equipped) to compare with the one you might purchase (if it's not better than you "usual" outfit, it might still be better than you anti-fire/poison outfit you don't have currently equipped).

Also, it was suggested that touching the lamps would respawn the ennemies, so I will add that touching the lamp should do exactly the same as going into the hunter's dream, which mean, restocking blood vials and silver bullets you have in stock (it's done automatically when respawing at the lamp or when going to the hunter's dream).

Let me compare equipment/weapons in my inventory to currently equipped stuff the same way I can with elemental gems. This is RPG 101, really.

My only UI nag with the game.

Fireflu

Some great suggestions, I agree with the UI stuff in particular.

There is probably a fair compromise that can be made with the lamps, to avoid making the HUB redundant. I also completely understand peoples stance on early warping as it can remove the incentive for exploration. Dark Souls struck a harmonious balance with this, granting the player the ability to warp after they had already discovered the majority of the game world.

Pretty nice wish writeup, Fireflu.

Have you sent a link to this thread to Mr. Miyazaki and FROM twitters?
Would be pretty awesome to have your ideas come into game.

I'll definitely do this, there's no guarantee they will read it all (or any of it!) but its worth a shot! Thanks for the nice words :).

Great OP. FROM should hire you as a game designer

Aww shucks, wouldn't that be the dream! One day...

Top Bottom