• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Battlefield Mobile images have appeared online via the Google Play Store. The first tests begin Autumn 2021

CamHostage

Whoa, weird, this BF3'ish Mobile game is a real thing?

Back in 2013, EA was trying to get a real Battlefield game on phones; they listed a mobile team initiative called Frostbite Go that would be bringing Frostbite titles to mobile, and then in 2014 they showed a version of PvZ Garden Warfare and some screenshots of BF4 using the Metal API on Apple's A7 hardware (so iPhone 5S-era hardware.)

Unfortunately (depending on your view of EA Games, I guess...), Frostbite Go and the rest of the Frostbite mobile initiative never seemed to go anywhere. In addition to no iOS/Android games using Frostbite, that abandonment of Frostbite mobile technology may also have been a contributor to there being no Frostbite games for PS Vita in its day, and also a glaring absence of Frostbite Switch games... until very recently.

(Popcap and QLOC brought Plants Vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville to Switch in March, and you can read some details about that port from NintendoLife and GamesBeat... no interview goes into how this Frostbite project on Switch might bring more Frostbite games to the platform, but I assume there will be more for Switch, particularly if EA also has plans for mobile again.)

spTKfMo.jpg

(BF 4 mobile test, 2014 project)

So, weird that a Battlefield Mobile or a mobile Frostbite game has taken this long to actually reach the market, but okay. I'll be curious to see how it carries over to phones, as Call of Duty already had the right formula for twitch gameplay and chip-away rank building to fit the quick-hit F2P mobile market. It seems like BF Mobile is classic maps remixed with full land/sea/air combat, I'm curious what else BF Mobile does to conform to the mobile market?

(*I could swear there was also a Battlefield mobile video around this 2013/2014 time... for some reason I can't find it, partly because the new BF Mobile news makes search hard right now. Anybody know that clip? Also, wasn't there also a BF phone game that went out on beta but was canceled or something like that?)

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Wilson's comments on Battlefield Mobile during the earnings call were recorded in a transcript published by Seeking Alpha. EA executives were asked about mobile – or the lack of mobile in previous discussions during the call – and were told that the work on Battlefield Mobile is ongoing with more info offered on the next beta.

"Mobile is still developing, the metrics are showing up really strong," Wilson said. "I think, right now we're looking at going into the next closed beta at the end of this month, and as is the case of mobile, we need to choose and test in the environment."

Top Bottom