• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The fallacy of exclusives

RedVIper

Banned
The top 20 selling games of 2019 only had one PS exclusive in it (Right near the bottom).

The notion that exclusives are the most important thing of a console is just something fanboys tout. The general public don't really give a shit.

People have explained in this thread very well why exclusives matter.

The only reason I own a ps4 is because of bloodborne.

Exclusives don't exist to sell themselves, they exist to sell consoles.

Again I’m not saying it was responsible for PS4 sales for the month.

There’s literally dozens of factors.

What I said that if it’s your opinion that an individual game pushed game sales that month, how can you ignore the most popular game out at the time?

Don’t you think people saw the fortnite hype and went out to buy a console?

It's pretty rich to claim i'm ignoring Fortnite when you're downplaying the impact of Sony's fastest selling exclusive of all time (before spiderman came).

Again, you're so damn obvious. You know GOW was the leading cause. You just don't want to admit it.

DaMonsta

It's pretty rich to claim i'm ignoring Fortnite when you're downplaying the impact of Sony's fastest selling exclusive of all time (before spiderman came).

Again, you're so damn obvious. You know GOW was the leading cause. You just don't want to admit it.
I’m only saying there’s lots of factors.

You are the one claiming there’s one factor.

Fortnite is and has been more popular than GOW since it’s release. April 2018 was kinda the peak hype of the most popular game of the gen on any system.

If I was to claim an individual game sold consoles during that time it would be fortnite.

And being the “fastest selling exclusive” does not mean it sold consoles. Just as fortnite being “the most popular game” doesn’t make it responsible for console sales that month.

It was a culmination of a lot of things.

DaMonsta

Can you explain how a free to play game like fortnite would drive console sales when you can play it on everything?
It’s popular on PS4 right?

Why wouldn’t the most popular game of the gen drive hardware sales?

How can you claim games sell consoles but ignore the most popular/played games on consoles?

I’m only saying there’s lots of factors.

You are the one claiming there’s one factor.

Fortnite is and has been more popular than GOW since it’s release. April 2018 was kinda the peak hype of the most popular game of the gen on any system.

If I was to claim an individual game sold consoles during that time it would be fortnite.

And being the “fastest selling exclusive” does not mean it sold consoles. Just as fortnite being “the most popular game” doesn’t make it responsible for console sales that month.

It was a culmination of a lot of things.

LMAO

You're damn right there was a culmination. It was the hype for GOW release.

Jesus christ this is common sense. When the sales of a product suddenly spike, there is primary catalyst at the centre of it. Common sense will tell you it wasn't fortnite, because we have the data of the previous months to back that.

DaMonsta

LMAO

You're damn right there was a culmination. It was the hype for GOW release.

Jesus christ this is common sense. When the sales of a product suddenly spike, there is primary catalyst at the centre of it. Common sense will tell you it wasn't fortnite, because we have the data of the previous months to back that.
Again. Your opinion is separate from facts.

We already established your opinion and I disagree.

What now?

Again. Your opinion is separate from facts.

We already established your opinion and I disagree.

What now?

You can't disagree with hard data.

Well, except when you're indenial.

The only thing left for you to do is look at the previous months data and go through the 5 stages of grief

Last edited:

DaMonsta

People will not buy a console for a free 2 play game that’s available on almost every device for free.
Why wouldn’t they.

You see said game being advertised, loved and played by millions. You go out and buy hardware to play it.

It’s literally a pop culture phenomenon, but you don’t think people went out to get hardware to play?

I don’t understand how you guys can claim individual games push console sales, but also claim the most popular game is not driving sales.

Shit don’t make sense to me.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

You can't disagree with data.

Well, except when you're indenial.

The only thing left for you to do is look at the previous months and go through the 5 stages of grief
For the last time.

The only thing the data says is that GOW sold a lot and PS4 sold a lot.

Your opinion is that GOW was responsible for the PS4 sales.

I disagree with your opinion.

Only one in denial here is you. Your opinion is not fact.

DESTROYA

Why wouldn’t they.

You see said game being advertised, loved and played by millions.

It’s literally a pop culture phenomenon, but you don’t think people went out to get hardware to play?

I don’t understand how you guys can claim individual games push console sales, but also claim the most popular game is not driving sales.

Shit don’t make sense to me.
No, they played on a laptop they already had, a phone they already had and everything else they already had that can play the game.
I don’t know anyone that bought a single piece of hardware specifically just to play fortnite

For the last time.

The only thing the data says is that GOW sold a lot and PS4 sold a lot.

Your opinion is that GOW was responsible for the PS4 sales.

I disagree with your opinion.

Only one in denial here is you. Your opinion is not fact.

Go look at the NPDs in the beginning of 2018. Where was fortnite's influence on hardware sales?

Hint, it's hardly there. Fortnite was boosting accessory sales.

Last edited:

Isa

Do those charts, or even most if any actually count used game sales? Because I know several very casual gamers that pick up consoles not at launch but later on when bigger hits release and word of mouth spreads, and eventually they get an exclusive or two that interests them throughout their time owning the machine. I'm not saying that people don't buy systems just for popular titles, but there are many factors at play.

I do believe it affects the buying decisions of the more core gaming audience looking for a compelling amount of reasons to pick something up. Hell one reason the Switch and PS4 have done so well is their myriad of options including their quality exclusive libraries. Hell, its one of the reasons I've recently come back to main PS4, 5 and Switch as of now. My time with those systems has been excellent, and I know that very high quality exclusives will be in the pipeline, along with strong Japanese support which for me is paramount. I'd convinced 5 friends to get Xboxes when I picked up an X, and many more including pc main guys to get PS4's to try out the exclusives which they don't regret. Core gamer influence can be a huge factor and positive word of mouth is quite valuable.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I guess which console is the most successful is marketing.
The vast majority of gamers are casual. And casual gamers will gravitate towards what they like and what there friends use.
But what influences casuals is which brand have the most positive information being communicated about them, which the media and forum posters get the ball rolling.
One factor which also helps is fanboyism, sony and ms have entire armies fans ready and able to fight the good fight, sony will have an advantage here because there army is bigger, however the quality of the product will be the main factor for success.

DaMonsta

Go look at the NPDs in the beginning of 2018. Where was fortnite's influence on hardware sales?

Hint, it's hardly there. Fortnite was boosting accessory sales.
Fortnite made $300 million as a FTP game in April 2018. More than double what is sold in the months leading to then. I don’t know exactly what spiked PS4 sales that month, but I do know It was by far the most popular game on PS4 at the time.

Last edited:

Klayzer

So....the point of this thread is your average person don't care about exclusives? sure, they also don't care about games like Sekiro and other Souls games, so should FROM stop making those games?

Again I dont care about what your average person plays, they mostly play Mindcraft, Fortnite or just watch stream of other people playing them. Exclusives what made me choose PS4 and Switch over Xbox, so yes it matter to me and most people who enjoy gaming.
Monsta is just trolling users now. Comparing NPD to VGCharts is absolutely asinine. Always curious why a certain faction have nightmares about exclusives moving consoles. Somebody much smarter than I, needs to do case study on why so many choose denial over proven facts.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Monsta is just trolling users now. Comparing NPD to VGCharts is absolutely asinine. Always curious why a certain faction have nightmares about exclusives moving consoles. Somebody much smarter than I, needs to do case study on why so many choose denial over proven facts.

What I like is that one day they are discussing why exclusives do not matter and the next about all the studios MS bought or assembled... to do what though? Multiplatform games ;)?!

iorek21

Maybe my opinion is biased due to me being limited to a specific context, but most of the casual players I know have at least some knowledge about exclusives, and that’s what ends up determining their choice of console.

For example, almost every casual player I know is at least aware of the existence of Uncharted, GoW and Spiderman, therefore this is one of the reasons for them to buy a PS4.
Some of them may not buy those games immediately, but will end up playing it eventually.

In a market where most multis are almost equal on consoles, the deciding factor ends up being its exclusives.

That’s the reason why iPhones are so popular, it has the exact same functionalities of an Android smartphone, but its exclusive features (iOS, design etc.) are the deciding factor.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
So... numbers show that - except for Nintendo - exclusives and games don't matter much in console sales, considering that in PS4 and Xbox one the leaders are GTA V (a game released in 2013), CoD: Black ops 3 and the yearly Fifa (in case of PS4). I.e. "exclusives matters" is just a fallacy.

Exclusives sell consoles. Not games.
If platform holder wanted to sell games they would do it on all platforms.

theclaw135

Banned
Windows PC is hardly a third party platform if these titles are Xbox and Windows exclusives.

Desperation. Windows is glacially sliding into irrelevance. Plug a modern smartphone into a monitor and KB/M, it'll handle 99% of tasks that 99% of people buy a desktop for.

richyque

Neo Member
Phil has conditioned xbox players that exclusives are bad for the industry and every game should be played on everything to hide the fact that xbox has literally no exclusives. For me the main reason for getting a ps4 over xbox one was mlb the show, david cage games, lbp 3 and the vast variety of playstation exclusives, days gone was my game of the year last year.

46959a99779022aa4544419be7c847bcaf480850.gif

Gamernyc78

Banned
A fallacious argument and not very cogent. I will buy a system for a game like Bloodborne but will still buy COD while another will buy a system for say "Spiderman" but also buy COD. Two ppl bought a system primarily for one or two games but both bought the mp game COD.

I never buy a system for multiplats but do buy multiplats because I have the system. Sony has too many gd games that diff ppl buy. Many multimillion unit sellers and tht speaks volumes about the importance of exclusives.

ethomaz

Banned
wow if fortnite drives console sales, why dont Epic made their own console? they could kick both sony and microsoft ass if this is the case lol
They create a Store platform to confront Steam just with Fortnite.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Mainstream gamers do not care about specs and probably not too much info exclusives either. But if the exclusive is really good or interesting then they will go with that console for sure and for every gamer it may be for different reason. For some it is because of GT for others GOW or Spiderman or TLOU or HZD etc ... Exclusives are important for companies to have a hardcore fanbase. Once you have that you know they are not going to switch to other platform. Ideally they want their fanbase to grow and their friends too are likely to join them and would get the same console.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Claiming a fallacy in the title, then using very limited sample data (top ten lists) to base the claims. sigh.
Like someone said on page 1, the maths is factually incorrect.
Anecdotally the vast majority of my favorite games this gen have been exclusives.

Foxbat

Banned
Exclusives matter. They're going to matter even more with the upcoming gen. That's the simple truth.

In here of course... Not really in the real world.

The simple reason is due to MS hardware once again being superior to Sonys. The first few years of last gen, this place was chock full of thread after thread after thread of df comparison of games. Back then the Xbox faithful were talking about exclusives, and how important racing games were because the PS4 didn't have a GT game yet.

Then as if it had happened over night... Poof! All comparison videos were irrelevant, df was being paid by MS, and what really mattered was exclusives. Nothing else.

That's here of course. In the real world, as the data shows. Exclusives don't matter much. Where and what your friends play on is what matters the most. Both MS and Sony are acutely aware of this, hence their recent stance on cross platform play. Xbox was trying to make it so that it didn't matter what your friends played on, while Sony wanted to make it more relevant then ever.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

No, they played on a laptop they already had, a phone they already had and everything else they already had that can play the game.
I don’t know anyone that bought a single piece of hardware specifically just to play fortnite
Doesn’t matter who you know.

There were even Fortnite PS4 bundles. Clearly some people were buying hardware to play fortnite.

ethomaz

Banned
I’m not sure what are you trying to say.

Fortnite was one of the main drives for console sales in 2018 holidays.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

Trolling?

If NPD only gives numbered rankings based on sales in America, how can you use it for worldwide sales numbers?

Estimations?

Isn’t that what VGchartz does?

Maybe you can get a smart person to teach you guys the difference between opinion and fact.

Dane

People have explained in this thread very well why exclusives matter.

The only reason I own a ps4 is because of bloodborne.

Exclusives don't exist to sell themselves, they exist to sell consoles.

They exist for both, why would I spend millions of dollars for a loss? Also, they are free from the 20-25% royalties cut per copy sold.

RedVIper

Banned
They exist for both

Selling copies it's not why they exist, if it was they be multiplat because they would certainly sell a lot more there.

why would I spend millions of dollars for a loss?

For the same reason they sell consoles at a loss, so they can get you in the eco system and profit of you later. Now, most big budget exclusives aren't making losses, but even if they did it wouldn't matter. The idea is too get people to buy the console so that when they do buy multiplats they buy it on your console instead of the competition.

Birdo

Banned
Exclusives do well on Switch because the rest of the Switch library is available on Mobile Phones or consoles that released decades ago.

Last edited:

Dane

Selling copies it's not why they exist, if it was they be multiplat because they would certainly sell a lot more there.

For the same reason they sell consoles at a loss, so they can get you in the eco system and profit of you later. Now, most big budget exclusives aren't making losses, but even if they did it wouldn't matter. The idea is too get people to buy the console so that when they do buy multiplats they buy it on your console instead of the competition.

I've said, for both, not one.

They sell consoles at loss, but the exclusives are expected to make money and help sales, that's one of the reasons why Nintendo even at the worst moments still makes profit. Considering that exclusives on PS and Xbox will only have such 1:2 ratio when they are launch to close to launch titles, a sales failure will also mean a failure in bringing new consoles sales.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I've said, for both, not one.

And I said that I disagree.

They sell consoles at loss, but the exclusives are expected to make money and help sales

Either you don't understand the argument, or you're being stubborn.

The reason they exist isn't to have big sales, it's to help sell consoles.

You can't say that they exist to help sell consoles and sell a lot, when doing the former goes directly against the latter.

They certainly prefer if they make money(Cause duh), but that's not why they make exclusives.

ZywyPL

Banned
A fallacious argument and not very cogent. I will buy a system for a game like Bloodborne but will still buy COD while another will buy a system for say "Spiderman" but also buy COD. Two ppl bought a system primarily for one or two games but both bought the mp game COD.

I never buy a system for multiplats but do buy multiplats because I have the system. Sony has too many gd games that diff ppl buy. Many multimillion unit sellers and tht speaks volumes about the importance of exclusives.

But that works both ways - some people buy consoles for the next GTA, Witcher, Fifa, CoD etc. and occasionally get the exclusives since they already own a PS4/XB1.

But I agree about that GoW comment - by the time GoW shipped PS4 had close to 80MLN units sold already, with 91MLN sold at the end of 2018, so if GoW pushed anything is just a mere 1MLN PS4 per month...

Basically every Sony's major exclusive was released when PS4 was already strongly established on the market, starting with UC4 that launched when PS4 already had about the same amount of units sold as XB1 has today, HZD launched with 55MLN units already in the wild, GTS with close to 70MLN, and so on, so the question is if the PS4 sold so well because of the exclusives that didn't show up until halfway of the generation, or the exclusives sold so well because PS4 did so good without them...

Top Bottom