• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Compact Disc (CD) was introduced 38-years ago...

YCoCg

Any good album I buy on CD, usually from Amazon and get the free MP3 download with it.
Unless you are using a lossless format the difference in quality through a real sound system is staggering.

The compression on even the best MP3's gives them a sound only slightly above a stereo cassette. Play a CD through a good system (Boss headphones or a good stereo system), then do the same with an MP3, then a cassette. I too bought and made many MP3s in the 2000's and I didn't go back to CD for nostalgia. However, with digital...I do use WAV or FLAC. FLAC is the top. Right side is WAV pulled from a CD -- left is the compression of any given MP3.
aCoeFYB.jpg
Not to mention AMAZON is the fucking WORST for MP3's since they use the same setting for EVERYTHING and force a lowpass value of 19.5Khz, meaning MP3's from Amazon aint even proper 44.1Khz, they're 39Khz in a 44.1Khz band. At least iTunes, Spotify, etc, don't impose a lowpass so you get the genuine full 44.1Khz.

V4skunk

Banned
I used to record the cd's on to tape for my Sony Walkman up until the early 2000's, until mp3 started to come out.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I used to record the cd's on to tape for my Sony Walkman up until the early 2000's, until mp3 started to come out.
I did that in the early 2000's, too. That's only because my first car only had a cassette player. I have to have music always and if CD isn't available...I settle with the interior alternatives.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How great were CDs would love to play some on a proper stereo system
I've never been a big sound guy. As long as it sounds good I don't think I can or tell the difference.

Boy was I wrong.

Never mind CDs, when I got my new car (no CD player) and played my MP3 downloads, I couldn't believe how much better it sounded when you got like 8 speakers or whatever. I could hear so many more instruments, left, right etc..... when my old car it was all mashed together. I listen to music only in my car and my laptop. I haven't had a dedicated stereo in 20 years aside from this 10 year old portable speaker thing I can hook up an MP3 player or tablet. And my old stereo (in my parents basement) was just two speakers.

My new car's sound system is by far the best out of them all. lol

Last edited:

EctoPrime

Crazy to think If the compact disc was slightly larger and offered double the storage the Video CD could of taken off like dvd with no annoying disc flipping.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Crazy to think If the compact disc was slightly larger and offered double the storage the Video CD could of taken off like dvd with no annoying disc flipping.
Yes, and I think it would have helped if it had also been handled by better engineers. Pioneer wanted to monopoly LD and that made Sony back-off from the disc-video market in the 80's. Sony's BetaMax and VHS 4-head VCRs sold better. Every time I see a double-sided DVD I think of Laser Disc. The only difference is the encoding on the b-side of a DVD wasn't a continuation.

teezzy

Banned
KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, Radiohead, Slipknot, TOOL, Smashing Pumpkins ... ahhhh I miss my CD collection. Back when I was actually cool.

Remember anti-skip protection on Walkmans? You could listen while riding your bike and do bunnyhops without a care in the world

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Remember when people in the 90s thought the logical progression of disc technology was that they would get smaller?

tumblr_ou7oc4NtUK1w4t58uo1_500.gifv

Kinda mind-blowing. Of course, they were half-way right considering we live in a world where micro-SD cards exist.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Remember when people in the 90s thought the logical progression of disc technology was that they would get smaller?

tumblr_ou7oc4NtUK1w4t58uo1_500.gifv

Kinda mind-blowing. Of course, they were half-way right considering we live in a world where micro-SD cards exist.
In the circular disc form it did happen to a certain degree. Certain answering machines ran on a mini disc, GameCube had mini discs, and even the UMD (for the PSP) was using a form of this technology.

YCoCg

In the circular disc form it did happen to a certain degree. Certain answering machines ran on a mini disc, GameCube had mini discs, and even the UMD (for the PSP) was using a form of this technology.
It's just funny in a sense that we've circled back round into essentially cartridges again for our storage medium, the rise of flash media and the ever expanding size through the early 200's to now is just crazy, of course content has adjusted for that too, if you said to people just 10 years ago that 2TB in a games console wouldn't be enough they'd just be outright shocked and call you a liar.

Tesseract

Banned
don't think i ever owned a single cd, maybe wu tang or eminem, a beethoven collection ...

around middle school i got a computer and irc hopped and nabbed whatever i could off rebounding ratios

Top Bottom