• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Comic Book Start Up Guide (The Big Thread of Comic Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Hi guys, great thread. New to comics. I am wondering if there are any titles that deal with romance and fun? I don't have much interest in superheroes but I know that most comic books are about these. I am more interested in books that are about humans and how they relate to each other without fighting and superpowers. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi guys, great thread. New to comics. I am wondering if there are any titles that deal with romance and fun? I don't have much interest in superheroes but I know that most comic books are about these. I am more interested in books that are about humans and how they relate to each other without fighting and superpowers. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mad_Love_cover.jpg

I don't reallly like superheroes and they are about to fight on the cover.

tron-gifs-3420-19598-hd-wallpapers.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Not sure who recommended the 1998 Marvel Knights Daredevil series but it's fantastic! Up to Bendis's run now and he's killing it. Crazy art too.

Check out Sex Criminals and Alex + Ada

IrishNinja

what an awesome OP, thanks for that! i should have my galaxy S 10.5 in tomorrow, and a 128 GB micro SD the day after, can't wait

1) what's the best cbr viewer on android? i use & love CDisplay on windows, was hoping for basically that

2) is Dark Horse digital really booty buttcheeks? that sucks, they have an awesome catalog

3) while we're at it, what's a good/cheap cover for said tablet? id just dig a simple one that covers it when its in my bag, doesnt need to be more than that

any takers?

Mumei

Been reading a lootttt of comic books recently, just got Marvel Unlimited free for a month using that Star wars promo; fantastic service, been using it on my iPad/iPhone. Reading Ulitmate Spider-Man which is superb so far. Thanos Quest was also fucking amazinnggggg, pls adapt that for Avengers 3 Pt 1/2, Russo bros!

Also been using Comixology which is pretty good. Bought Marvels (which was incredible, it could be made into a really good TV show/film imo) and Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1 (which was fucking hilarious, lol) Need to get some more of them.

Is All-Star Superman really worth the £13.99 on Comixology? I've heard it's a must-read comic, even if you're not really a fan of the character (which I'm not)

It is, but it was Superman: Secret Identity that made me a fan. It's only four issues, so no saying you don't have time!

Zombine

Banned
any takers?

Just get Comixology because it's the universal standard at this point. The Dark Horse app really is that bad. Amazing books, shit app for a shit company. They're not special snowflakes and need to stop acting like one. At this point I don't think Comixology gives a shit.

Fusebox

Banned
You can load CBRs into Comixology?

any takers?

1. Perfect Viewer: I was concerned about leaving iOS as there's no ComicZeal app for Android but Perfect Viewer is a monster, it has some awesome auto scaling options too.

2. Dunno sorry, but Dark Horse make awesome comics to be sure. Good manga too, I love Domu: A Child's Dream.

3. I got the official 'Simple' cover and it's good enough. Light and thin, turns screen on/off when you open/close it and protects the glass.

IrishNinja

thanks for these!

Just get Comixology because it's the universal standard at this point. The Dark Horse app really is that bad. Amazing books, shit app for a shit company. They're not special snowflakes and need to stop acting like one. At this point I don't think Comixology gives a shit.

damn, DH has one of my favorite catalogs in comics, too...i take it they're holding out on comixology?

and yeah, same question - can you load CBR's into that?

You can load CBRs into Comixology?

1. Perfect Viewer: I was concerned about leaving iOS as there's no ComicZeal app for Android but Perfect Viewer is a monster, it has some awesome auto scaling options too.

2. Dunno sorry, but Dark Horse make awesome comics to be sure. Good manga too, I love Domu: A Child's Dream.

3. I got the official 'Simple' cover and it's good enough. Light and thin, turns screen on/off when you open/close it and protects the glass.

cheers, and yeah Domu was awesome!

Zombine

Banned
I just want to point out that this thread will never advocate loading of pirated .pdf or other pirated files. For those looking for comics without Comixology DRM, www.humblebundle.com offers legal bundles by IDW, Dark Horse, Image, and more on a regular basis for which said readers would be appropriate.

ReAxion

You can also buy DRM-free directly from Image's website, but if you buy them from Comixology, there's an option to back them up DRM-free in pdf and cdz. It's win-win.

Card Boy

Banned
Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy. Is this and Thor set in the same Universe? I only ask because the Collector is in it and he showed up in the credits scene in Thor 2.

Also whats the story behind this IP? Wikipedia is confusing me. Is there more than one Guardians Team? It's basically a Avengers/Defenders/Justice League group yeah? Also i get the impression Star-Lord is meant to be more badass in the comics.

IrishNinja

...so for android, i ended up going with Komik, since that's the one i'm familiar with...but for whatever reason, it's only in color when scrolling; static, it displays black & white. this doesn't seem to be a free vs pay issue on the surface, some google stuff makes it seem like a bug? anyone know about this?

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy. Is this and Thor set in the same Universe? I only ask because the Collector is in it and he showed up in the credits scene in Thor 2.

Also whats the story behind this IP? Wikipedia is confusing me. Is there more than one Guardians Team? It's basically a Avengers/Defenders/Justice League group yeah? Also i get the impression Star-Lord is meant to be more badass in the comics.
Yes, GoTG and Thor are set in the same universe. The Infinity Stones are very important to Thor and his race, and Thanos (the guy in the badass space chair, lol) eventually will get bored and take them himself.

Have no idea regarding your 2nd question, sorry :p

Squire

Banned
X-Men pros: Is All-New X-Factor worth reading? I read the first issue a week ago and thought it was dope, but I see the series was cut short. Is the finale good enough for it to be worth my time still? I have MU, so I wouldn't be paying for it.

A comic book question I can answer! (Only cause I saw it last night while reading GotG 08-13) but yeah there's a separate GotG team 1,000 years in the future: Yandu, Charlie-27, Vance Astro, and Martinex.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A comic book question I can answer! (Only cause I saw it last night while reading GotG 08-13) but yeah there's a separate GotG team 1,000 years in the future: Yandu, Charlie-27, Vance Astro, and Martinex.
There is also a Guardians team, that were the forerunner of the current team:

comics-guardians-of-galaxy-2.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Having a great time reading Green Lantern, great characters, fast paced, huge scope for the story.

I like how it has been slowly building towards the war with Sinestro Corps, with the yellow rings looking for possible wielders throughout all these issues, it all came to a head when a yellow ring recruited Amon Sur right in front of Hal and John. Also the yellow ring trying to recruit Batman was hilarious and awesome.

I really want a movie Green Lantern done right, this character has one of the most interesting and most in-depth mythos of any superhero, the space setting gives it such a massive scope it really feels like the characters are part of something greater and huge a feeling that you obviously don't get with stuff like Batman since he is pretty much contained to Gotham. Would love to see all other corps in live-action, I don't know if WB/DC will be successful enough that we'll get a GL movie that erases the stain of Ryan Reynolds movie but oh god I hope so. I'm looking forward more to this than the eventual JL movie, 2020 just seems so far away.

Guardians of the Galaxy is part of the Avengers collective movie universe, yes. One of GOTG's minor characters previously appeared in The Avengers' mid-credits scene.

There are two main Guardians of the Galaxy teams. The one in the movie debuted in 2008 and operates in the present day. There's another that debuted in 1970s and operates in the distant future (roughly 3000 AD).

Rooster12

I miss the original team....they had a better run than the new "cooler" team.

Chuckl3s

Two Questions…

1. Is there a list of comics they are giving away tomorrow? Usually I find a list here but couldn't find it.

Found it: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1039291

2. What is the best trade to read to get a background for the Suicide Squad. Haven't read a batman in a while but want to get a knowledge of what the movie will sort of be about.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am really excited about Free Comic Book Day. I'm diving into my free month of Marvel Unlimited to see if there's anything I'm interested in "getting into".

TheWraith

I just want to point out that this thread will never advocate loading of pirated .pdf or other pirated files. For those looking for comics without Comixology DRM, www.humblebundle.com offers legal bundles by IDW, Dark Horse, Image, and more on a regular basis for which said readers would be appropriate.

But what if you're like me and and want to read comics I already own on the go on my tablet? That wouldn't make it illegal strictly speaking.

On the topic of Perfect Viewer,I like it but the swipe to next page always feels sluggish it seems, can this be amended somehow?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

Love and Rockets.

tim1138

Two Questions…

1. Is there a list of comics they are giving away tomorrow? Usually I find a list here but couldn't find it.

Found it: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1039291

2. What is the best trade to read to get a background for the Suicide Squad. Haven't read a batman in a while but want to get a knowledge of what the movie will sort of be about.

Unfortunately the definitive Suicide Squad run only had one trade (Trial by Fire), and it's way out of print. The whole series is available digitally in comixology though - https://www.comixology.com/Suicide-...GV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L3Nlcmllc1NsaWRlcg

Ah sounds interesting. Do I want the collection or just the Flashpoint World of Batman?

I say World of Batman + watch the movie.

I watched movie first then read the comic, I enjoyed the movie more but it might be because I had watched it first. The World of Batman comic is a stand alone story, you're not missing much if you skip the main flashpoint comic and watch the movie.

Actually watch the movie first before buying the comic to see if you enjoy that incarnation of Batman. Based on what you said I have a feeling you will, but in the worst case scenario I think you'll find something you enjoy about the movie.

Won't be at my LCS until like 3-4 today, hope they still have some free comics left.

So im about to dive in to the current run for avengers, i started with avengers vs xmen, im now on the first trade of uncanny avengers. Should I get the remaining uncanny avengers before I start axis and move into Hickmans avengers / new avengers? What have I missed?

Read Octopus Pie, its on the internet and free. One of my favorite comics ever.

Also you might like Ghost World and David Boring by Daniel Clowes. Wet Moon by Sophie Campbell, Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol and Lumberjanes by ppl whos names I dont know. All great slice of life comedy/ dramas with likable characters.

Also "The Fade Out" is super cool if a blackout spurned murder mystery set in 1940's Hollywood sounds appealing to you. Its not exactly what id call "fun" though.

In closing, read Octopus Pie. My signed copy of volume 2 is amongst my most prized posessions. :'0

So im about to dive in to the current run for avengers, i started with avengers vs xmen, im now on the first trade of uncanny avengers. Should I get the remaining uncanny avengers before I start axis and move into Hickmans avengers / new avengers? What have I missed?
Uncanny Avengers has nothing to do with Avengers/New Avengers so you can read whichever one you want first.

You can skip Axis, it's not a very important event honestly. If you're interested just look up a list of lasting changes and save yourself some money.

Hey Comics GAF, it's me again, last month I said thank you for all recommendations, and now I need some help again. I came to the conclusion I like black and white comics more than colored ones. But I ran out of ideas what to read next. Maybe I just write what I read and what I think about it.

Bone - great adventure, absolutely love it. Imported stupid stupid rat tails from the US also, only for the black and white.

Pogo- great but difficult to understand sometimes (English is not my first language) same problem I had with six gun gorilla, if they don't write the word in full and I can't figure out what it is...stupid me

Calvin and Hobbes - love it and I have to laugh a lot ^_^ just bought the complete two weeks ago, don't want to rush it, just read few pages in bed every night.

King city - great to look at with lot of funny details, bit childish sometimes (poop jokes etc)

Sharaz De - great art

If somebody would have any suggestions, I would be very thankful.

Oh and because usually, the question- with or without superheros, is asked. Without would be better, but honestly, never read a comic with one. Ok, maybe Tony from Chew is considered a superhero than yes ^_~

Caode

Unfortunately the definitive Suicide Squad run only had one trade (Trial by Fire), and it's way out of print.

Just spotted it for pre-order on bookdepository while ordering some New 52 Suicide Squad, listed for re-release this October.

FnordChan

It's seven years out of date at this point, but there's an old NeoGAF comics recommendation thread that is chock full of short blurbs of recommendations from the comics community at the time. It's a good place to find plenty of suggestions for all time classics and favorites from about a decade back. Folks looking for recs should check it out!

Meanwhile, speaking of recommendations:

I was very happy to see that Kurt Busiek's amazing late 90s/early 00s runs on Avengers and Iron Man recently received the omnibus teratment. I think these are great, accessible runs for folks who are into the Marvel films and would like a big pile of Avenging to enjoy.

I'm also happy to see that Matt Fraction's celebrated run on Hawkeye is also getting the an omnibus. Those comics are super fun. Also, while we're talking super fun Marvel, Ms. Marvel is totally all the way fun.

Folks who dug the Daredevil series should go read a huge chunk of the Frank Miller run, or at the very least The Man Without Fear and Born Again.

Everybody likes Saga. Everybody also likes Sex Criminals but it's more embarrassing to read on the bus. Trees is the best thing Warren Ellis has done in ages. Copperhead is that Firefly comic you wanted, probably moreso than the actual Firefly comics. Empowered is one of the best superhero comics currently being published; it goes from light satire and zany hijinx early on to epic and amazing, but still with plenty of laughs.

Darwyn Cooke's Parker adaptations are amazing, beautiful translations of vintage crime novels. Brubaker's The Fade Out is a new comic that feels like a vintage crime novel. Brubaker's Velvet is what would happen if James Bond was killed and former agent Miss Moneypenny went rogue to avenge him; this is as awesome as it sounds.

Finally, kudos to Alexis Press for bringing more of the stunning series The Obscure Cities into print in English with their beautiful release of The Leaning Girl last year. They've got more releases in the pipeline and I am utterly delighted.

FnordChan

Neol

Hi ComicGAF!

Interested in delving into comics after reading Saga which is absolutely fantastic. With all the buzz with the movies I'm interested in reading into an Avengers storyline. A friend of mine told me to start with The Ultimates 1 & 2 by Millar and then going into Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers line. Would like to ask if this sounds good for me?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So The New 52. Where to start? Been out of the loop for a while and this continuity is massive.
Everything got rebooted minus Green Lantern and Batman you should be OK.

As for where to start:
Aquaman
Batman
The Flash
Wonder Woman

Are great, start with any of those. GL is amazing but I feel you need to read pre New 52 Geoff Johns run to actually fully enjoy it.

PsychBat!

Banned
Hi ComicGAF!

Interested in delving into comics after reading Saga which is absolutely fantastic. With all the buzz with the movies I'm interested in reading into an Avengers storyline. A friend of mine told me to start with The Ultimates 1 & 2 by Millar and then going into Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers line. Would like to ask if this sounds good for me?

Hmmmmm

Those are fine choices but first, what kind of things do you like in comic books? What do you look for? The answers would help gauge what kind books I can recommend before recommending Hickman's stuff.

So The New 52. Where to start? Been out of the loop for a while and this continuity is massive.
You can pretty much start with any number 1 and be good. None of the New 52 series are probably more than 6-8 trades in, and while that sounds like a lot, it really isn't. You can catch up pretty fast, since that's about 5-6 issues a pop. As mentioned previously, Green Lantern and Batman were technically rebooted, but not really. All of their continuity has remained rather untouched.

I'd personally recommend Justice League Dark. Especially if you're into the occult/supernatural/magical type heroes.
Hey Comics GAF, it's me again, last month I said thank you for all recommendations, and now I need some help again. I came to the conclusion I like black and white comics more than colored ones. But I ran out of ideas what to read next. Maybe I just write what I read and what I think about it.

Bone - great adventure, absolutely love it. Imported stupid stupid rat tails from the US also, only for the black and white.

Pogo- great but difficult to understand sometimes (English is not my first language) same problem I had with six gun gorilla, if they don't write the word in full and I can't figure out what it is...stupid me

Calvin and Hobbes - love it and I have to laugh a lot ^_^ just bought the complete two weeks ago, don't want to rush it, just read few pages in bed every night.

King city - great to look at with lot of funny details, bit childish sometimes (poop jokes etc)

Sharaz De - great art

If somebody would have any suggestions, I would be very thankful.

Oh and because usually, the question- with or without superheros, is asked. Without would be better, but honestly, never read a comic with one. Ok, maybe Tony from Chew is considered a superhero than yes ^_~
I'd recommend Lil' Gotham, but you said without superheroes

Neol

Hmmmmm

Those are fine choices but first, what kind of things do you like in comic books? What do you look for? The answers would help gauge what kind books I can recommend before recommending Hickman's stuff.

Honestly at this moment I'm really open to anything as long as its engaging and enjoyable to read. Probably gonna try out Marvel Unlimited to get more into the whole universe and maybe follow Spider-Gwen since I like the premise and it being fairly new as well.

Other than that, I'm thinking of getting into the Fables series as I do like the whole setting but that will be on a more longrun type of deal. However I did read Neil Gaiman's Sandman a long time ago and was fascinated by it so anything similar in tone would be greatly appreciated as well.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hi ComicGAF!

Ultimates shouldnt be a problem, good stuff, from time to time a little bit extreme, but you should able to understand everything.

Not so sure in this regard when it comes to Hickmann Avengers. Havent read it by myself, but it always sounds like this stuff requieres a little bit insight into multiple Marvel Universes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom