• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Comic Book Start Up Guide (The Big Thread of Comic Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Made some updates to the OP. Comic recommendations will soon reflect All New All Different Marvel & DC Rebirth.

Aizo

Banned
I should write up my comprehensive comic recommendations some time. I pretty much only read Image stuff and a couple things from Boom.

My favorite ongoing things right now are probably these:

1. Giant Days
2. Deadly Class
3. Southern Bastards
4. Descender
5. Birthright.

I'd recommend all of them, and I think one of the five could be enjoyed by most people.

I'm up on Saga and Low still, but the last couple issues haven't given me the same feeling as the older ones. I also think Injection and East of West are quite good, but I have only read a volume of each.

The Wicked + The Divine is something I have read three volumes of, but I'm not sure how I feel still.

Zackat

alright I got some questions.

Should I just be reading the newer stuff that comes out? The older stuff is cool (what of it that I have read) but god DAMN there's a lot of stuff in Marvel Unlimited. I have been reading the newer stuff that has started to pop up there. What types of things should I be reading in Marvel Unlimited?

Like Civil War 1 for instance. I tried to start reading that and there were a bunch of superheroes I had never heard of, or if I did I didn't know enough of their motivations. I decided to go to a website that showed me there was all this pre-lude to civil war stuff that I can read. That's pretty sweet.

Should I stick to events or no? Anything in particular that absolutely can't be missed while I wait for newer things?

hamchan

Read the new stuff if you want to be with the current conversation and you have the money. Stick with MU for the best value for money with a 6 month delay on new comics. I picked the latter since new comics are extremely expensive compared to other forms of entertainment imp.

As to what to read... that's up to you! It's so huge you can pick most anything from Marvel's history.

I would personally get into one character first and then expand out from there rather than just going from big event to event where there will be a ton of random heroes you don't know.

I tell most people to start from Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis since that's how I got into Marvel. It's not in the main universe but it's fantastic for nearly everyone to start.

Also the discover tab in the app is useful. Can start exploring there too.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Should I just be reading the newer stuff that comes out? The older stuff is cool (what of it that I have read) but god DAMN there's a lot of stuff in Marvel Unlimited. I have been reading the newer stuff that has started to pop up there. What types of things should I be reading in Marvel Unlimited?

Like Civil War 1 for instance. I tried to start reading that and there were a bunch of superheroes I had never heard of, or if I did I didn't know enough of their motivations. I decided to go to a website that showed me there was all this pre-lude to civil war stuff that I can read. That's pretty sweet.

Should I stick to events or no? Anything in particular that absolutely can't be missed while I wait for newer things?

Events are typically comics at the worst or most annoying. You have a shit ton of awkward tie-ins, you have books halting their storylines for "status quo changing" twists that are reset quickly after. I mean there are good stories, but don't "stick to events."

As far as Civil War goes, there are decent Civil War tie-ins that make up for the shittiness of the actual Civil War story. Frontline, for example.

There are tons of runs on characters that are must-read material though. Brubaker's Captain America run, Fraction's Hawkeye, Bendis/Waid's Daredevil runs, Alias, Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and so on.

Or just stick with the new stuff and you'll be fine.

Zackat

Events are typically comics at the worst or most annoying. You have a shit ton of awkward tie-ins, you have books halting their storylines for "status quo changing" twists that are reset quickly after. I mean there are good stories, but don't "stick to events."

As far as Civil War goes, there are decent Civil War tie-ins that make up for the shittiness of the actual Civil War story. Frontline, for example.

There are tons of runs on characters that are must-read material though. Brubaker's Captain America run, Fraction's Hawkeye, Bendis/Waid's Daredevil runs, Alias, Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and so on.

Or just stick with the new stuff and you'll be fine.

yep that's kind of what I thought regarding events. they seem so awkward and kind of shoehorned. It seems like they realllllly want you to read them though with the marvel unlimited thing lol. I'll just stick to reading the new stuff because it is pretty interesting.

I'll check out the things you mentioned as well. Thanks!

Karu

Got a tablet the other week and loaded Comixology. After using Marvel Unlimited for a month and beging pretty bored by it, I thought I was done with Comics. But here I am.

I bought Vol. 1 of
Sex Criminals (3/5)
Saga (Currently reading)
100 Bullets (Unread)
Revival (1/5)
Berserk Max (Currently reading)
Paper Girls (2/5)
East oft West (Unread)

Sex Criminals was mostly great. Especially in terms oft pace, it was really good.

Was a bit disappointed that there doesnt Seen to be mich Material in the contemporary vor historic genre digitally. Okay... Kinda expected, but still. Anyway, would be cool if you could give me recommendations, ha.

WhatIm looking for:
Coming of Age
Slice of life
Contemporary Drama
Historical (wwII, Cold war etc. With focus on civilians)

If there are standalone standouts of traditional superhero Brooks, feel free to mention them also. Dont feel to restricted by what I am looking for.

Would be awesome if I got some answer. Beging New to a storefront and an entire medium, it can be a bit overwhelming, heh. Thanks anyway!

What Im looking for:
Coming of Age
Slice of life
Contemporary Drama

If there are standalone standouts of traditional superhero Brooks, feel free to mention them also. Dont feel to restricted by what I am looking for.

Would be awesome if I got some answer. Beging New to a storefront and an entire medium, it can be a bit overwhelming, heh. Thanks anyway!
We Can Never Go Home combines coming-of-age with superpowers

Stray Bullets and Criminal are fantastic contemporary crime thriller/drama

Historical, I know of Black Road, Rebels, and Torso

Karu

We Can Never Go Home combines coming-of-age with superpowers

Stray Bullets and Criminal are fantastic contemporary crime thriller/drama

Historical, I know of Black Road, Rebels, and Torso
Oh snap, wanted to post this in the monthly Comic-thread. Was browsing here right before. But anyway, thanks a lot, will definitely look up your suggestions. =) Might repost in the other thread soon.

Aizo

Banned
Got a tablet the other week and loaded Comixology. After using Marvel Unlimited for a month and beging pretty bored by it, I thought I was done with Comics. But here I am.

I bought Vol. 1 of
Sex Criminals (3/5)
Saga (Currently reading)
100 Bullets (Unread)
Revival (1/5)
Berserk Max (Currently reading)
Paper Girls (2/5)
East oft West (Unread)

Sex Criminals was mostly great. Especially in terms oft pace, it was really good.

Was a bit disappointed that there doesnt Seen to be mich Material in the contemporary vor historic genre digitally. Okay... Kinda expected, but still. Anyway, would be cool if you could give me recommendations, ha.

WhatIm looking for:
Coming of Age
Slice of life
Contemporary Drama

Slice of life/coming of age: Absolutely recommend Giant Days. One of the best SoL comics I've read from the West (I actually wouldn't mind getting some recommendations, because all the other good SoL stuff I know is Japanese). Another great slice of life comic is Essex County--quite sad, though.

Contemporary drama... How about a comic about crime in the South in the USA with American Football as a major plot point? Check out Southern Bastards.

As for stuff that may not fit in with what you're looking for, I'll just mention my very favorite comics right now:
Giant Days (slice of college life in England)
Black Monday Murders (Wall Street crime drama mixed with some sort of mysterious black magic)
Deadly Class (high school for assassins during the Reagen era in America)
Manifest Destiny (historical fiction/fantasy about the "real" journey of Lewis and Clark in which the encounter horrible monsters in the uncharted Louisiana Territory)
Pretty Deadly (old Western mixed with fantasy and the grim reaper)
Snotgirl (a vain modern fashion blogger and a strange mystery)
Sunstone (a sentimental love story about a budding bdsm lesbian couple)
Birthright (just an incredibly solid Western fantasy story with amazing art)

I didn't want to spend a ton of time typing this up on my phone, so I implore you to please check these out to see if any of them are of interest to you. My descriptions do not do them justice.

Karu

After More_Badass' post I bought Vol. 1 of Black Road, We can never go Home and Stray Bullets (and Darth Vader and Superman American Alien, because why not? :D), but thank you so much! Will definitely check them out and bookmark your post for later purchases!

After More_Badass' post I bought Vol. 1 of Black Road, We can never go Home and Stray Bullets (and Darth Vader and Superman American Alien, because why not? :D), but thank you so much! Will definitely check them out and bookmark your post for later purchases!
Hope you enjoy Stray Bullets. It blew me away earlier this year
Damn, Stray Bullets #1 is so good. I'm in for the long haul
Stray Bullets keeps getting better and better. Of all the comics I've read, only Wytches made me feel unsettled or invoked a haunting tone...until Stray Bullets #2 and #4. Very well-crafted tightly-wound tension, payoff, and imagery

And someone else who discovered the series this year
Stray Bullets is no joke. Read that first story and I was at the edge of my seat. If the whole series plays around with pulp and Tarantino-esque characters and storylines I'm in 100%.

I love how fast the book reads too. It'll help me get through it at a decent rate.

Edit: This is one of the best books I've ever read.

Weevilone

Hey all, I'm curious if there is any preferred place to sell trade paperbacks. I was into comics for my young life, then again in college. I got back into it as an adult by picking up a bunch of trades over a few years, but ultimately migrated to digital.

Now I'm sitting here with a cabinet full of these things, some likely never read (in that format). I would like to find a new home for them, am EBay averse, and I need to value and sell them on without investing a lot of time. Actually as I look through, some are the Marvel Masterworks hardbacks, in some sort of deluxe or limited edition variant.

A few are the black and white Marvel Essential collections, which I'd gladly donate if someone wants to pay shipping.

Dalek

Hey all, I'm curious if there is any preferred place to sell trade paperbacks. I was into comics for my young life, then again in college. I got back into it as an adult by picking up a bunch of trades over a few years, but ultimately migrated to digital.

Now I'm sitting here with a cabinet full of these things, some likely never read (in that format). I would like to find a new home for them, am EBay averse, and I need to value and sell them on without investing a lot of time. Actually as I look through, some are the Marvel Masterworks hardbacks, in some sort of deluxe or limited edition variant.

A few are the black and white Marvel Essential collections, which I'd gladly donate if someone wants to pay shipping.

Half Price Books is where I've sold some.

Bloodember

Post them in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. I might be interested in some, matters what you got.

Zombine

Banned
Working on some general upkeep and will be completely revamping the recommendations to fall in line with what is currently happening in comics (which is a lot! Tons of nice stuff to read and some new imprints)

I'm an awful slacker but I hope to finally redeem myself.

I randomly picked up Blackest Night from a local book store. I believe this is what you call a collected edition.

Is this the main story? And all the other titles on its wikipedia page just optional reading?

Zombine

Banned
I randomly picked up Blackest Night from a local book store. I believe this is what you call a collected edition.

Is this the main story? And all the other titles on its wikipedia page just optional reading?

No that's an arc from Geoff John's Green Lantern from years ago. It's 3 omnibus worth of material, but it begins with Green Lantern vol. 1: Rebirth.

Green Lantern: Rebirth https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401227554/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And someone else who discovered the series this year

Geez. Did I really read that this year? It felt like so long ago now. Book really is perfect.

Karu

Hope you enjoy Stray Bullets. It blew me away earlier this year
Read the first two stories.

My god. Oh my god. Wow. That's some dark stuff right there. Can't wait for the rest. Though, I think it lends itself to being consumed one by one rather than in a binge.

Zombine

Banned
Read the first two stories.

My god. Oh my god. Wow. That's some dark stuff right there. Can't wait for the rest. Though, I think it lends itself to being consumed one by one rather than in a binge.

I couldn't help myself. I think I wrapped the book in just a few sittings.

Just watched Batman vs Superman and loved the scene from the future. My friend told me that its similar to the story in Injustice Gods Among Us - can anyone vouch for its quality? Maybe I'll get complete volume 1 from Amazon.

KingV

To catch up on old stuff, just pick a point and start reading. Some shit will be a bit confusing at first, and you can wiki it, but after 5 or 6 issues you will basically know everything you need to know.

As for back issues, Civil War is not a bad place to start. It's not all good, and much of what immediately follows is not all good either, but I would definitely recommend reading Secret Invasion, because it leads into... Dark Reign, one of my personal favorite marvel storylines. Basically everything was temporarily taken over by the bad guys. I thought it was a fun time in marvel.

Other older books I'd recommend are:
- Thunderbolts. Just start at the beginning
- Ultimate Universe stuff. It got worse over time, but started very strong.Ultimate Spider-Man was good pretty much until the end. I also largely liked Ultimate Xmen.
- exiles: there's quite a few different volumes, but they're all mostly pretty good
- Amazing Spider-Man leading into Amazing Spider-Man 700, which leads to superior Spider-Man.

Menaged

I guess it's okay to bump a thread like this...

Anyway, for a while now I've had an itch to start reading comics. I always enjoyed super heroes in various forms of media, but I've never read a comic book in my life.

I figured Marvel Unlimited might be a good place to start (I think it's available worldwide). I went to a comic book store, and a lot of stuff seemed a bit pricey for me, especially since I had no idea what to get.

So I'm actually looking for some advice. If you think Marvel Unlimited is a good place to start, what should I look for once I subscribe?

Thanks!

Ultima_5

I guess it's okay to bump a thread like this...

Anyway, for a while now I've had an itch to start reading comics. I always enjoyed super heroes in various forms of media, but I've never read a comic book in my life.

I figured Marvel Unlimited might be a good place to start (I think it's available worldwide). I went to a comic book store, and a lot of stuff seemed a bit pricey for me, especially since I had no idea what to get.

So I'm actually looking for some advice. If you think Marvel Unlimited is a good place to start, what should I look for once I subscribe?

Thanks!

you can probably find a few list of good marvel runs to read through in this thread. any hero in particular?

Menaged

Marvel Unlimited is great - and I think you can find a free month promo code someplace.

once you start, maybe check out Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis

Cool, thanks.
If I'll have some free time over the weekend I think I'll start.
I'm only a bit worried by my shit laptop's screen, but alas.

Menaged

Marvel Unlimited is great - and I think you can find a free month promo code someplace.

once you start, maybe check out Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis

Signed up for $9.99 since all promo codes expired.
Wanted to make sure - are you referring to the 2000-2009 series? I'm asking since I see another Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis and two other guys.

Wanted to make sure - are you referring to the 2000-2009 series? I'm asking since I see another Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis and two other guys.

If memory serves me right, there are three different Ultimate Spider-Man series.

The first is the original from 2000, starring Peter Parker:

latest

Then it transitions to Miles Morales after a decade or so:

latest

Then there was a slight line refresh and they ended it with another Miles run:

latest

They're all pretty solid (well the last run is a bit iffy) but definitely start with the first and move your way forward. It's the series that made me love comics.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

start at the 2000 series. it is basically a streamlined, straight forward, excellent re-telling of a large swath of Spidey's history.

51lcHtcGv3L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

IrishNinja

damn, just realized IST had that brubaker DD omnibus for less than i paid with amazon prime...gotta check back when vol 2 is up, not seeing a link right now!

Weevilone

I went into a LCS the other day for the first time. It's a great place and I had been driving by b/c I'm all digital.

Visited and exchanged stories about old comics, new comics, etc was great. Really love the shop and wish reading physical comics didn't result in so much stuff to store.

NMFried

I went into a LCS the other day for the first time. It's a great place and I had been driving by b/c I'm all digital.

Visited and exchanged stories about old comics, new comics, etc was great. Really love the shop and wish reading physical comics didn't result in so much stuff to store.

Yeah that's been my biggest thing. I've transitioned to digital-only in the last year or so, but I'll buy key issues or events physical.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
A necessary bump because Jonathan Hickman's legendary Fantastic Four run is on sale at comixology. Buy everything, read it. It was the first FF series I've read and it immediately became one of my favorite Marvel runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom