• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Coalition UE5 demo at GDC

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'd like to see The Coalition spread their wings a bit. I know all too well what we'll get with Gears. Let's see something new, maybe in an entirely different genre.

CamHostage

It's the first time we see UE5 demo from AAA studio aside from Epic itself. And that studio have made one of the best looking UE game before. What we will see in the demo would be pretty close to the game what we will actually play in the future.

But we should keep hype to a minimum? Really?

Actually, it's the first time we've seen UE5 demo from any professional studio aside from Epic itself, right?

We've seen lots of independent designers messing around with the Early Access version of the development suite using UE Marketplace assets, but no working company has shown their work using the new systems to create a consumer-targeted product for a console platform (unless Hellblade 2 really did have anything of UE5 in its initial or most recent reveals, which...?) That's an important milestone in understanding the technology and how it will really be applied to games we'll own. (Unfortunately, the Alpha Point demo probably still won't be completely that if it's just a cutscene as GDC demos often are, but it'll still be cool to watch and I'm crossing my fingers that they built it for interactivity rather than just a graphic demo.)

The Coalition could also be a pilot partner with a more complete version of the engine (and probably more time using any version of it than the EA version released to the public in May.) I don't see how we'll get "better Lumen" or "more Nanite" than we've seen so far (these two tools are made for kind of it-just-works implementation, so it's either a good scene or a bad scene but Nanite and Lumen will do what they do,) but we may see them used in unique ways or get an idea of how they work best when in the hands of skilled, experienced technicians.

So yes, it'll be a tech demo, don't tune in if you don't care about tech demos, just keep playing the games you're already playing. But for those interested in seeing the application of cool tech and a glimpse of what's on the horizon, this should be a great event to check out. (We're already well due for some UE5 demos and announcements, and I'm hoping it's just one of many demos at this GDC showing what the next iteration of Unity, CryEngine, Frostbite, Source, and other engines and middlewares have coming with the next-gen platforms now out and eager to be pushed hard.)

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm gona bust a fat ol nut if they show gears 6
Black Widow Avengers GIF

Gears has always broke new ground when it came to Unreal Engine in the original trilogy, so I'm excited for this entry despite not played Gears 4 or 5.

Hope it blows the socks outta me.

Robert Redford Yes GIF

CamHostage

Gears has always broke new ground when it came to Unreal Engine in the original trilogy, so I'm excited for this entry despite not played Gears 4 or 5.

Weirdly, there never was one specific showcase game of UE4. (Well, actually, there was one showcase game, by Epic even, but it was called "Fortnite", and most people didn't get how that was a showcase; it's also a lead prototype release now for UE5 and other UE components like Chaos Physics.) The Gears franchise did really continue to show the technology at its best, but I'm with some of the other posters that it'd be sweet to see The Coalition do something original or different. (That said, this Alpha Point demo might be a good case of doing something with the familiar Gears world for a one-off demo while the full future Coaltion project is still locking down its concept or is still under wraps. If it's not Gears but it's also not the new IP, then I'm not sure what the point is other than showing, "Hey, isn't this cool what we can do with UE5?"... which is a pretty good point, still.)

Gears was never gears since 2.
I enjoyed Gears 3 enough to finish. There's just no comparison to Gears 2 though. Gears 2 makes part 1 feel like a tech demo. You literally fight inside a giant worm that swallows cities and kill it by cutting the pulmonary artery of its heart. Fucking crazy. That's the dial being turned up to 11. That's what Gears is all about. Hard to top that and keep an interesting dynamic range in the gameplay after 2. Never played the others after part 3. I think the franchise needs a reboot. Not quite sure which direction. Maybe lean more into horror?

Three

Let me rephrase it. Have we seen any AAA studio working with Lumen?

That's like saying that all UE4 games are the same. Can you really say Octopath and Arkham look similar? Games using the same engine can be really different. Not all teams have the same resources or experience working on it. I'm sure you'd be waiting for this reveal if it was ND using UE5
No it's not, as I said I hope it's more than an UE5 demo with gears assets. And I am waiting for it. Me saying "I can't wait" is a show of excitement for it meaning it can't get here soon enough.

I was referring to seeing lumen. We've seen lumen. In a realistic setting. I'm asking what are you expecting to see in terms of tech? What can they do differently in terms of lighting with lumen? Some refraction through glass or something? I want to know what your expectations are for what they do with the engine outside of an UE5 demo with gears assets.

CamHostage

UE5 can really light up some nice rocks, that's for sure.

I'm hoping that floating obelisk breaks open and does something cool, because we've seen a lot of barren landscapes and lightpools like this already and I'm ready to see UE5 do something new (especially with a team like Coalition doing the demo.) But even if it's a rudimentary mockup, it'll be cool to have a major studio show some work in the new Unreal (so far we've only seen independents do projects in the Early Access version, and one studio trailer supposedly using it) and to have them break down 3rd party analysis of what to expect from the technology in actual game use.

Looking forward to the 20th and particularly seeing what comes out of Alpha Point, the Evolving Animation speech, and UE in 2021.

Last edited:

oldergamer

This looks cool, need to see the full tech demo. MS has many studios that are using unreal 5 which should create some stunning looking games.

some of the posts in this thread are pure salt though. seriously

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This looks cool, need to see the full tech demo. MS has many studios that are using unreal 5 which should create some stunning looking games.

some of the posts in this thread are pure salt though. seriously

People are not impressed because the UE5 engine can be used by everyone atm, and i have already seen better looking (non desert) looking environments from people at home playing around with the engine. This screenshots just screams “look we can play with the basic marketplace UE5 assets, like everyone else”.

I hope the demo shows more then just what you already can find on youtube from non professional creators.

Last edited:
People are not impressed because the UE5 engine can be used by everyone atm, and i have already seen better looking (non desert) looking environments from people at home playing around with the engine. This screenshots just screams “look we can play with the basic marketplace UE5 assets, like everyone else”.

I hope the demo shows more then just what you already can find on youtube from non professional creators.
I'm sure it will. The youtube UE videos tend to be pretty basic in terms of scope. When Coalition shows it you know its a hundred million dollar game in the making on the engine vs someones portfolio project. It's why it sparks more excitement.

There’s nothing special about it. Gears of War 4 was not a visual benchmark by any stretch of the imagination, while Gears of War 5 did look better. Was it more impressive at that point in time than say… Arkham? It wasn’t.

Where’s the special? It’s just fanboys trying to take ownership.
Arkham looked amazing, I'm not a huge fan of Gears, but it did look great in parts. Arkham Knight looked stellar.

oldergamer

That's a whole lot of excuses i didn't see when the unreal 5 demo was thought to run only on PS5. We've yet to see anything from a game development studio using unreal 5. So despite what you think, I'm interested in seeing what they can do. Gears 5 was one of the best unreal engine built games out there.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
That's a whole lot of excuses i didn't see when the unreal 5 demo was thought to run only on PS5. We've yet to see anything from a game development studio using unreal 5. So despite what you think, I'm interested in seeing what they can do. Gears 5 was one of the best unreal engine built games out there.

Maybe because it was the first time we saw that engine in action smart pants.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Well, yes, but let's not get so mad yet... It's a screenshot, on a flier, for a developer conference, for a presentation nobody will have seen until next week.

This image is not necessarily indicative of what the whole Alpha Point demo will be (hopefully? if it's just a Nanite room with a floating raytraced diamond and some Lumen light pouring through and nothing more, I'll be baffled,) and Alpha Point itself probably will not be indicative of what The Coalition is actually making for its first UE5 game. I am a little nervous that they're promoting it with a rock cave because this is now the third professional UE5 demo built to show off how nice the engine does rocks, but there's bound to be more to it. The demo will be more about the talk anyway (it is GDC, after all, and unfortunately these events are not glossed up to be cool for us gamer kids as the point is to reach coders,) but hopefully the actual project file they bring in does some cool stuff for us fans too like the two Epic UE5 demos did previously.

When that demo will be shown?

July 20.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

I guarantee this demo is vastly more optimized than whatever "UE5 marketplace" demos youve seen.

The point of a tech demo like this is to get towards an actually working title figure out workflows and new techiques (something the coalition always do, their branches of UE have features that future version of UE end up getting.)
So as they said theyve been messing aaround with the engine trying to get the most out of it with the least amount of overhead especially on Series S/X.
Running UE5 with Megascans on a RTX 3090 no issue......get the same demo to work on Series S/X now true talent starts to show.

Last edited:
Top Bottom