• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol |OT| Galaxy of Terror

tommib

what mode is best to play on PS5?
Fidelity with full effects or Performance with 60hz?

Interested in everyone’s opinions.
Fidelity because the trade off is too big. The visuals are the best thing about Callisto and help tremendously with immersion. It’s a slow heavy game. 30 fps is a-ok.

Finished it up last night, game was fun. My biggest complaint by far is that it cribbed TOO much from Dead Space, but didn't do any of it better.
It's a stunner though, hope they fix the pc version. It looks pretty freakin amazing on ps5, I can only imagine what it looks like on a loaded out pc.

Umbral

i understand that. as far as the suit being a problem? seems to me that most new game+ carry-over lists have always taken into account story-related things like keys & puzzle pieces, & simply left them off. easy enough to just throw the suit into this category, i'd think...
I don’t know what goes into these sorts of modes. I was also thinking there are some mandatory weapons given to you by the story, so maybe that’s part of it too. It would look weird to get the gun in a cutscene but you already have it.

I don’t care about that, but maybe that’s the thinking.

my first run was 60fps and now im doin fidelity, and boy i feel like im playing it on pc with ultra everything this time around, some scenes look entirely different thanks to the shadows, higher resolution and ray tracing

30fps doesnt feel choppy at all, very doable here

GymWolf

If they fixed it, perf mode.

It is still 4kinda and you only miss some rtx reflections, some shadows and some AO.

I guess in an horror games those are pretty important, but the combat feels better at 60.

Hugare

Fidelity, all the way.

Also recomended by John from Digital Foundry

As tommib tommib mentioned, the tradeoff is worth it this time.

Some scenes are massively different with RT. And the motion blur is so good in this game, that 30 FPS still looks quite fluid

tommib

Fidelity, all the way.

Also recomended by John from Digital Foundry

As tommib tommib mentioned, the tradeoff is worth it this time.

Some scenes are massively different with RT. And the motion blur is so good in this game, that 30 FPS still looks quite fluid
It’s probably the first RT game that impresses me with its RT technology. It’s a major difference in mood and atmosphere. I mean:
4phrLrb.jpg
jw9nQhi.jpg
5qkKZjU.jpg
Sh4xfef.jpg

x8LtxFp.jpg

zeouM1a.jpg

l4kwFAI.jpg

Last edited:

Neff

Do you explore? i know people says that the game is a straight line but it's not really true, you have some optional area.

There will be times where you can make a choice of two or three directions to take (I even remember four mystery paths to explore at one point), but optional detours are short and will usually shortcut back to the main path. It's always worth exploring though because you're bound to run into something good.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hmmm not missing the RT effects? I thought 30fps was one of the best I’ve used?
No. Go watch a comparison video and outside of a few moments where you can see reflections it's barely worth half the frame rate. Simply not worth that tradeoff for a few neat reflection moments and shadows that are largely the same.

Not the best comparison due to the difference in gameplay, but it gets the point across I think.

Last edited:

J3nga

Well just finished the game. So first of all:
Fuck it

Second of all:
Why so many were complaining about the last boss fight? It's not great in terms of boss fight but it's ultra easy on a maximum difficulty level, whooped his sorry ass on my 2nd try. Really not getting why getting mad from skill-up alikes.
The game improved on me as I progressed since later on I barely had to use melee as I had so much bullets also ended up having 4k spare credits pistol and shotgun maxed out. I thought stealth sections OP as phuck but also unnecessarily stretched out. I would say it's a good game and could recommend to any sci-fi fans. No map, no question marks, no go here go there and this do that, in the world where every other game is an open-world or semi-open world that's not a bad thing, right?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Why would anyone want to terraform or live on callisto that place looks fucked

cc30_Callisto.jpg
It's completely covered with impact craters, but it's actually one of the best options for humans to colonize in our solar system.

The last boss is a motherfucker. Those fucking walking grenades. Anyway, where’s my New Game+? Game’s severely lacking on replay modes.
Feb 7th is when NG+ arrives. It needs it now though.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The last boss is a motherfucker. Those fucking walking grenades. Anyway, where’s my New Game+? Game’s severely lacking on replay modes.

3VOtnLA.jpg

That this launched without NG+ is a bummer. Just beat that last boss and would love to go back through it immediately with all my power ups and to use and level up the other guns. I never even used the assault rifle, for instance. Would've been fun

tommib

That this launched without NG+ is a bummer. Just beat that last boss and would love to go back through it immediately with all my power ups and to use and level up the other guns. I never even used the assault rifle, for instance. Would've been fun
I hear you. I missed a few logs for the Platinum but will wait until new game +. I could easily replay this immediately with a new game +. Already finished it on maximum security.

TonyK

No. Go watch a comparison video and outside of a few moments where you can see reflections it's barely worth half the frame rate. Simply not worth that tradeoff for a few neat reflection moments and shadows that are largely the same.

Not the best comparison due to the difference in gameplay, but it gets the point across I think.

Not in my opinion. When I switched to performance it looked totally PS4 to me. Not because reflections (I give a fuck about RT reflections when SSR doea a good job with no severe impact in framerate), but because lighting/shadows. I played all game in 30fps mode because that. Sometimes I switched again to performance mode to compare, because I would have preferred to play at 60fps, but it became so past gen that I immediately switched to quality.

Maybe if I do a second playthrough for NewGame+ in the future I will try performace. But for a first playthrough I prefer next gen visuals.

Not in my opinion. When I switched to performance it looked totally PS4 to me. Not because reflections (I give a fuck about RT reflections when SSR doea a good job with no severe impact in framerate), but because lighting/shadows. I played all game in 30fps mode because that. Sometimes I switched again to performance mode to compare, because I would have preferred to play at 60fps, but it became so past gen that I immediately switched to quality.

Maybe if I do a second playthrough for NewGame+ in the future I will try performace. But for a first playthrough I prefer next gen visuals.
Yea its a huge difference. I did 60fps first run and now fidelity and the difference at times is huge in terms of atmosphere and additional effects & lighting

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally beat the game on hardest difficulty, I enjoyed its despite its flaws but it has major flaws that needs to be fix on sequel (if there is going to be one).

I actually liked the combat, there is not many survival horror games with melee focus combat so enjoyed that part.

But the level design I didn’t liked, I was already getting annoyed the amount of sliding and squeezing through cracks in God of War but this game takes it whole new level, other devs please don’t do this.

Also just like God of War 2018 this game loves to throw at same boss at you, those two headed monsters are not hard but it kind tedious fight with but keep throwing at you and was getting sick of it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I hope this game sells like gangbusters so we can get a sequel regardless of critics.
So far this game is a solid 8.0/10 for me and
It has a good foundation for a new series.
And in a sequel I'd like them to add.

- More weapons both Projectile & Melee weapons
- More Enemy types, I know it's kinda hard when all the enemies are/were human.
- Resident Evil like level structure, locked doors which you can return back to to unlock another area so you can spend more time exploring the area instead of just pushing forward.
- More secret areas
- A Map
- A Dodge Button Option
Left to dodge left & Right to dodge right is clearly too hard for some people 🙄

Umbral

Yea its a huge difference. I did 60fps first run and now fidelity and the difference at times is huge in terms of atmosphere and additional effects & lighting
I’m just not seeing it. The shadows are better in some ways, but not world-splitting. The reflections are nice, but I’m can deal with SSR and don’t want to sacrifice half the frames. Can you point to specific scenes or sections? I just played half the game on the 30fps mode to see and it was not worth it in my eyes.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
PC version got patched again. The initial patch did a lot so I'm curious as to what this will do. I'm at the habitat so I'm guessing I'm about halfway through?

I’m just not seeing it. The shadows are better in some ways, but not world-splitting. The reflections are nice, but I’m can deal with SSR and don’t want to sacrifice half the frames. Can you point to specific scenes or sections? I just played half the game on the 30fps mode to see and it was not worth it in my eyes.
ive read many people report the same thoughts when switching between the two modes, the perf mode just feels flat which probably has to do with the shadows and lighting. i had the exact same feeling with ratchet and clank when switching from fidelity to performance, when switching to fidelity the game just looks more cgi, like a film while perf felt more "gamey", with all the extra effects missing

the best thing about all this stuff is that we have options this time around, im doing a run on each mode and everyone's happy. i do wish we get pro versions of these consoles so i can run all these games at 60fps in fidelity mode, thats the dream

Hugare

I believe that there are examples on the Digital Foundry analysis (it's long and I'm working right now, otherwise I would point where during the video you can check)

Hugare

Here's a review that perfectly matches my experience with the game

One of the few positive reviews out there.

And you can see from the gameplay that he recorded that he knew how to play the game, using different options and etc.

R6Rider

Gold Member
That end credit song is so damn good. Fits the game perfectly and also gives off a Bond song style. Added it to my normal rotation.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Finished the game. It for sure strats very strong and there's something to like about it, but in the end and ultimately it's very disappointing. Zero story (what is there is nothing more but a teaser of a teaser for paywalled story DLC - if it'll even be released), almost zero and proper world building, interesting, well-writen and relatable characters, almost non-existent memorable gameplay situations like in even the first Dead Space (not to mention Dead Space 2) with Zero-G stuff, absolutely terrible, terrible and repetitive boss fights with 1 hit kills boss which you'll be fighting 4 times and abysmal design of each encounter including the final boss.

1431461333_2142387084.jpeg

Last edited:

SCB3

This game is starting to lose my interest and hard, I played for maybe an hour more on the Chapter "Lost" and man its tedious sometimes, the enemies are far too easy and braindead for it to be much of a challenge, it looks great and the atmosphere is done well but this is a very mediocre game, I'll finish it and I have finally got a new weapon at least today

K' Dash

This game is starting to lose my interest and hard, I played for maybe an hour more on the Chapter "Lost" and man its tedious sometimes, the enemies are far too easy and braindead for it to be much of a challenge, it looks great and the atmosphere is done well but this is a very mediocre game, I'll finish it and I have finally got a new weapon at least today

You should teach all those clowns reviewing the game how to do combat right.

fatmarco

I love how that one fight with the two head boss (second fight, in the colony) the checkpoint gives you less than a second to do anything. Also awesome how heavy attacks do nothing to hurt him but light attacks trigger a devastating damage move which I only figured out late into that second fight. It just seems like a boss designed to burn through your ammo.

There's just a lot of this game that feels like it lacked play testing. Bad or idiotic checkpoints, a poor introduction into the combat system, no clear explanations on some of the systems (as in how much an upgrade improves whatever it is, namely things like GRP recharging etc.) bizarre difficulty spikes and extremely poor signalling of the main path versus the side paths.

Like I know John from Digital Foundry praised how the game doesn't guide you, allows you to explore, and how well they tell you which places you can go etc., which would be all well and good if they made clear which path was the main path and which was the side paths, but they don't.

I literally thought I was taking a side path, ended up it was the main path, so I turned around to track back to the area I hadn't explored, and then a fucking pile of boxes had appeared out of nowhere blocking me returning to that area. I had to reload multiple saves back to retry it. That's garbage game design.

ungalo

I've been sitting in front of two doors for 10 minutes not knowing which path is optional. Sometimes backtracking and changing my mind three times lol.

Played several hours definitely understand critics but it's still pretty fun so far. This game is lucky it's coming out now and not in 6 months (although it probably should have released in 6 months).

Last edited:
Finished the game. It for sure strats very strong and there's something to like about it, but in the end and ultimately it's very disappointing. Zero story (what is there is nothing more but a teaser of a teaser for paywalled story DLC - if it'll even be released), almost zero and proper world building, interesting, well-writen and relatable characters, almost non-existent memorable gameplay situations like in even the first Dead Space (not to mention Dead Space 2) with Zero-G stuff, absolutely terrible, terrible and repetitive boss fights with 1 hit kills boss which you'll be fighting 4 times and abysmal design of each encounter including the final boss.

1431461333_2142387084.jpeg
As a Russian I really appreciate this. This is one of the most famous and best comedic actors from Russia who I grew up on. What an amazing meme lol.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Magnus seems to like it, agreed it's got too many squeeze through gaps though 😂

I just finished it. The story was so generic and unimaginative. The antagonist was trash. The ending was garbage. I believe anyone in this thread could write a better story.

Some of the encounters are awful. The repeating boss is just stupid.
It's as if new dev made a game inspired by dead space.

The GRP ability is something you use to avoid combat. Just yeet enemies on spike walls, fans, ledges they can't climb back on. As long as you have batteries you don't need to fight.

cripterion

I just finished it. The story was so generic and unimaginative. The antagonist was trash. The ending was garbage. I believe anyone in this thread could write a better story.

Some of the encounters are awful. The repeating boss is just stupid.
It's as if new dev made a game inspired by dead space.

The GRP ability is something you use to avoid combat. Just yeet enemies on spike walls, fans, ledges they can't climb back on. As long as you have batteries you don't need to fight.

I watched a YouTube playthrough, and can echo all of the above.

Aside from the graphics and ambience it's just a crap game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m nearing the final parts of the game. I’m half way through the final mission. I could sum up what I’m about to say: Some things are good, but some things also stink. The combat feels like dancing because it’s always performing the same rhythm. There’s something there that I like and there’s something there that just irritates me. The combat feels so…out of my hands, like I can’t actually control what happens unless I stick to a rhythm.

I look back at the journey I took with Isaac Clarke and this is like the Prison Break episode of Dead Space.

If you told me I couldn’t finish this game I’d probably be ok with it. The story isn’t there either. I’m not taking any lore to heart when I finish this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom