• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

Was saving this for a "funnier" time, but it seems appropriate now:

fm4Gf0j.jpg

I'm just saying, enjoy the latest post from that lovable rascal J10 cuz in 24 hours time he'll be black bagged from life. Not gonna quote it of course, enjoy my time here too much

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We lost Retro_? I can't find any traces, maybe that's the idea. Goddammit Retro_!

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Only by saying his name backwards can we keep him alive in memory.

_orteR

RIP Retro you were one of my fav posters. :(

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
So I dropped into the Ferguson thread today. Had a lot of catching up to do but damn, I applaud everyone who's been in there. It was actually not as debilitating as I expected because of you guys.

Bless MLK Jr. How very offensive that his legacy is being used to undermine and belittle the people he fought for. I'm so sorry. I can't think of a greater way to disrespect a man. How awful that he's being used in such a manner.

Jado

Banned
A regular member of this community was deleted right off the forum, which we all seem to agree is very unusual and shocking. I'm not asking this to start arguments -- in fact the opposite -- but instead of making endless passive-aggressive jokes about "they got Retro," why not ask EviLore to come here and chat with us directly? Maybe explain what happened. You're all making snide remarks and taking little snipes at EL, but can't be bothered to confront and handle things like adults when one of your own gets wiped out. We can all be civil about this. It's not a big, scary deal, guys.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
^^fuck around and this place will be nba gaf and well have to form a community on a separate (but equal) forum somewhere else

^^fuck around and this place will be nba gaf and well have to form a community on a separate (but equal) forum somewhere else

HaloGAF's saltiest had to do this too

I'm banned from their chatroom but not the forum so by that logic I'm actually the most positive, upstanding member of the neogaf halo community

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
A regular member of this community was deleted right off the forum, which we all seem to agree is very unusual and shocking. I'm not asking this to start arguments -- in fact the opposite -- but instead of making endless passive-aggressive jokes about "they got Retro," why not ask EviLore to come here and chat with us directly? Maybe explain what happened. You're all making snide remarks and taking little snipes at EL, but can't be bothered to confront and handle things like adults when one of your own gets wiped out. We can all be civil about this. It's not a big, scary deal, guys.

I don't think there's anything really to talk about tbh

It really sucks we lost another member in here but you know we always gotta make jokes. See: Storm Chamber

Jado

Banned
I don't think there's anything really to talk about tbh

It really sucks we lost another member in here but you know we always gotta make jokes. See: Storm Chamber

Fair enough assessment. Thanks for the non-joke response. Sometimes it's a bit much (the joking), like a serious moment can't be had or it's too rare in between all the fluff.

RP912

Banned
*tip toes in BCT*

I'm trying to not be in one of them black bags like on some V for Vendetta shit.

Whats goi.....*jayzface.gif*

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Fair enough assessment. Thanks for the non-joke response.

I think the jokes are a way of almost coping? If EviLore came in here I don't know what I would say personally. It's everyone else I worry about.

We could use some more serious discussion but this is an issue a lot of us aren't familiar with and even fairly new to. I don't like the idea of people getting in trouble for something they aren't ready for.

J10

Banned

It's nice to want things, but we've been over this previously. If he wants to snipe from a perch, asking him to have a conversation and explain himself won't amount to shit - if he wanted to talk to us he'd already be doing that. The joke was soft and he could have simply jabbed back. He's done this before, he'll do it again, and there ain't shit anybody can do about it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I understand the sentiment for wanting mature discourse but you could not be more wrong about this situation.

First off, no, everyone is not "making snide remarks and taking little snipes at EL". A few people are but most posters are just joking about the ban because it's really all there is to do besides say "that is a shame". Moderation is not up for discussion or debate on this forum as stated in the TOS and as has been reiterated time and time again whenever a prolific member is permanently banned and people start trying to stir the pot demanding answers. Instead of getting the community sanctioned or shut down we are joking and most are taking it in stride without resulting to personal insults. I don't see a problem with this. Asking for an explanation is a waste of time.

We've been here long enough to know what's done is done. Getting Lore to come have a chat in the community thread is more likely to cause more casualties than it is to clear the air/get Retro back.

If Retro got a 12 month then maybe we could argue to reduce his ban but my dude got launched into the sun, don't see how or why that'd be reversed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If that's even what it was. Unfortunately for people trying to understand (and this isn't a shot against the mod team, this is just a byproduct of how this sort of thing goes) the propensity for horrific posts to be completely deleted (I'm fine with the horrific shitty stuff being nuked, for real) sometimes masks what happened, so people draw the wrong conclusions.

If someone did get banned for that little joke, it's in everyones' best interest to know that yes, that was it - so that doesn't happen again and we know there's a line not to cross right there. But like Jackben says it's really not up for debate - that's just how these things play out. People can only assume.

Besada keep me safe please

Thing is, how do you comment on something like this without winding up like the guy in this photo?

366220_orig.jpeg

It's a tricky issue.

Jado

Banned
I understand the sentiment for wanting mature discourse but you could not be more wrong about this situation.

First off, no, everyone is not "making snide remarks and taking little snipes at EL". A few people are but most posters are just joking about the ban because it's really all there is to do besides say "that is a shame". Moderation is not up for discussion or debate on this forum as stated in the TOS and as has been reiterated time and time again whenever a prolific member is permanently banned and people start trying to stir the pot demanding answers. Instead of getting the community sanctioned or shut down we are joking and most are taking it in stride without resulting to personal insults. I don't see a problem with this. Asking for an explanation is a waste of time.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said everyone. More like an undercurrent in the thread I felt through the recent few pages. I'm aware of the TOS rules regarding moderation. I wasn't trying to encourage that people get in trouble or question undoing a finalized decision. Just regular talk, which I guess is what you're doing now - so much appreciated.

If that's even what it was. Unfortunately for people trying to understand (and this isn't a shot against the mod team, this is just a byproduct of how this sort of thing goes) the propensity for horrific posts to be completely deleted (I'm fine with the horrific shitty stuff being nuked, for real) sometimes masks what happened, so people draw the wrong conclusions.

If someone did get banned for that little joke, it's in everyones' best interest to know that yes, that was it - so that doesn't happen again and we know there's a line not to cross right there. But like Jackben says it's really not up for debate - that's just how these things play out. People can only assume.

Besada keep me safe please

This is pretty much what I and, I think, most of us are interested to know.

edit: I received some clarification on the side that shed some light and answered my concerns this morning.

besada

Banned
As usual, if you want to ask questions about moderation, the appropriate place to do so is via PM to a moderator. We generally don't discuss moderation in threads because A) it derails the thread, B) sometimes it's no one's business, and C) we aren't generally interested in having an argument about moderation.

Fair enough assessment. Thanks for the non-joke response. Sometimes it's a bit much (the joking), like a serious moment can't be had or it's too rare in between all the fluff.

It's so weird going from HaloGAF where when someone gets banned people are like "what happened" and then and then a member of the new old guard (aka someone who's been there for more than 3 months, RIP actual old halogaf) steps in and is like "shut up dude we're not 'sposed to talk about it i'll tell you behind gaf moderation's back on twitter" and then here in BCT we have people hung by their entrail and their corpse paraded through the city for like 5 pages.

Kreed

And what are you expecting to gain from a conversation like that in this thread? This is Evilore's forum. If he chooses to ban/delete someone, it's his choice. Many of us have been around this forum for years, and we know the drill by now (while I've never seen someone deleted, I have seen plenty of people banned for insulting the man in charge/without breaking a easily identifiable rule in the TOS). Not to mention requesting conversations about bans we think are unfair from the man in charge rarely play out well (the NBA thread fiasco wasn't that long ago). If you really want to know the answer, send a PM, but otherwise "his house, his rules".

Also no one is "scared", many posters are just having fun like we always do in this thread. While it is sad to see someone not able to participate in the forum anymore, it's just a forum. Despite some people in certain pockets of the internet behaving like a GAF ban is the equivalent of someone killing their mother, Retro_ isn't on his death bed/there's no need to be up in arms.

Retro_, you were always my dude. Do I have you on twitter? I swear I do. If not, add me. I'm not even sure what happened but getting Judy Winslow'd off of NeoGAF is a fate I wish on no man.

RIP.

Trey

It's so weird going from HaloGAF where when someone gets banned people are like "what happened" and then and then a member of the new old guard (aka someone who's been there for more than 3 months, RIP actual old halogaf) steps in and is like "shut up dude we're not 'sposed to talk about it i'll tell you behind gaf moderation's back on twitter" and then here in BCT we have people hung by their entrail and their corpse paraded through the city for like 5 pages.

BCT makes way better jokes, that's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom