• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Game No One Played in 2023: Immortals of Aveum

Seems super generic to me. Although the Mage FPS aspect is tempting. I really liked Lichdom Battlemage up until a certain boss fight which was riddled with bugs and freezes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I paid full price at launch and don’t regret it one bit.

Now BG3, Avatar and Alan Wake 2?

Paid full and regret all three 🤣

lucious lyon wtf GIF

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Thread actually caused me to reinstall and push forward. Got over halfway through yesterday and should wrap up today. Haven’t decided on the plat yet since it’ll involve at least a partial NG+ run and I don’t have it in me at the moment to do some major backtracking collectathon akin to the Jedi games.

HOWEVER

I’m having a blast. The story really kicks into high gear around the midpoint and a lot of the Metroidisms get dropped for a much more linear action packed affair. Going into this game initially with zero expectations is what’s made it so enjoyable. Because no one played it aside from Drizzle, I have absolutely no idea what to expect level wise, story wise, boss wise etc. I love that shit. It’s been a hell of a trip.

tylrdiablos

I played the demo a few weeks back... It was stuttering and dropping frames on my 3080ti. (I realise the demo code has probably never been updated like the main branch.)
I plan to buy the game soonish, just need to clear a few more titles out of my backlog.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Played it and enjoyed it on PS5. Game screamed keyboard and mouse control though. I did not like using a controller for this game.

Dazraell

They recently added this to PS Plus and I started playing it. Finished a few levels and I like it so far. Story feels like something out of Marvel movie and characters are very unmemorable, but general presentation, gameplay and lorebuilding are really nice. The game also has a very good pace between action and opportunities to stray from the main path and looking for optional collectibles and upgrades, etc

Just finished this game a few days ago, and I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't think I'd walk away liking the game!

I ended up liking
the butch woman in the end more than the main protagonist, who was turning into an insufferable dudebro that fucks everything up. He redeems himself by the end, but my impression of him was spoiled by then.

The combat is nice and flashy, but it does get repetitive. Traversal is fun and varied.

Overall, 7-8/10. I recommend it.

Immortals-of-Aveum-Key-Art.jpg

This game fell victim to several things, which caused people to overlook it and mock it. But it's one of the best games of 2023 and actually something ORIGINAL and not a sequel or licensed game.

People skipped it because:
  • It's EA.
  • It was released at a bad time between big hyped releases.
  • UE5 performance as spotty at launch - it's better now.
  • The marketing really failed to show what it really was.
That last one was a death blow for it, because if people knew this was basically a next-generation Metroid Prime they'd jump on it. But the marketing just made it look like a fantasy FPS while not highlighting the Metroid elements of the exploration and gameplay.

But that's what it is. Take a fantasy FPS setting like Heretic/Hexen, but build out the levels with Metroid style progression and backtracking once abilities are unlocked and that's what Immortals is.

The patch they did after launch also helped the resolution scaling, and it seriously looks really impressive now.

It should be hitting EA Play soon, so when it does download it.
I love that comparison of Hexen, because the whole time I was playing, I was thinking, "If Jak would shut up for one second, this game would be like Hexen!"

Top Bottom