• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Artful Escape - Release Date Trailer

Vasto

A teenage guitar prodigy sets out on a psychedelic, multidimensional journey to inspire his stage persona and confront the legacy of a dead folk legend. Starring voice performances by Michael Johnston, Caroline Kinley, Lena Headey, Jason Schwartzman, Mark Strong, and Carl Weathers.

The Artful Escape is coming to Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One on September 9.

THE ARTFUL ESCAPE | Gameplay Walkthrough​

Creative Director Johnny Galvatron talks through what you'll experience in THE ARTFUL ESCAPE.

Kuranghi

Crap, is this not launching simultaneously on Steam and Game Pass/WS? On Steam it just says "2021" as the release date.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Reviewed by Tristan Ogilvie on PC. Also available on Xbox.

"The Artful Escape is a truly joyful musical journey through outer space in which the performances of its cast and the quality of its soundtrack are every bit as stellar as the eye-popping celestial realms it crisscrosses through. It's not for those who're after a traditional platforming game challenge, and if listening to indulgent '80s-style guitar solos doesn't appeal to you then Francis' nonstop noodling may well get on your nerves. But if you're up for an infectious mix of goofy good humour and brazen guitar worship, then there hasn't been a musical adventure as excellent as The Artful Escape since Bill met Ted."

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Awesome art and music, but what is the gameplay?

I see some kind of musical riff-off against bosses, but for the rest of the game it seems like you run through a level left to right doing random riffs for fun, some platforming jumps, and that it?

Loving this so far, it’s got a great atmosphere. It’s starts a little slow but really ramps up after that.

Best way I could describe it , is it’s a mixture of Oxenfree, fast platforming, the future scene in Bill & Ted, Jefferson Airplane if they were brought back today and a acid trip with David Bowie & Jimmy Hendrix.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the launch trailer for The Artful Escape, available now on Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, and Steam.

A teenage guitar prodigy sets out on a psychedelic, multidimensional journey to inspire his stage persona and confront the legacy of a dead folk legend. Starring voice performances by Michael Johnston, Caroline Kinley, Lena Headey, Jason Schwartzman, Mark Strong, and Carl Weathers.

Kagey K

Banned
I 1000 pointed this today.

Its not challenging at all, and the story was kind of meh, but the visuals and art were a trip.

It’s worth a playthrough if you just want to relax and cruise through some crazy ass shit.

The first 20 mins/half hour are a bit slow, but I had a good time with it all in all.

Billbofet

I played about an hour of this and it is mesmerizing once you get past the first 20 minutes. As posted above, there's very little challenge, but WOW what an experience so far.
One of the most creative games graphically I have seen in years. Really something you don't see anymore and worth the 3 or 4 hours to go through.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It has really "feel good" feeling to it and the story, especially for someone who always wanted to do music, spoke to me very personally.

Got true shit today 1000G.

I recommend this to anyone, because it has that sort of uplifting atmosphere, like Flower and that sort of games. Go get it....or should I say download it?

Billbofet

What a beautiful game in meaning and visuals.

Not a big fan of what the story is but whatever, the rest is great.
Totally agree. The story was pretty basic and ....one-note, but man oh man the visuals are jaw-dropping.
I think the game is the perfect length too. I finished it right as it was starting to wear out its welcome.

Sausy1987

playing ghost of tsushima , tales of arise , deathloop & life is strange true colors and i said i would boot up this for 20mins just to try it . i was still playing it two hours later ! not normally my kind of game but love it . how long it take ye finish it?

Kagey K

Banned
playing ghost of tsushima , tales of arise , deathloop & life is strange true colors and i said i would boot up this for 20mins just to try it . i was still playing it two hours later ! not normally my kind of game but love it . how long it take ye finish it?
I beat it by playing it off and on throughout one day.

Average playtime is in the 3-4 hour range though from all anecdotes I've seen.

reksveks

Think it's like 4/5 max

Top Bottom