• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria Sells 30M

Holammer

With the upcoming 'Journey's End' content update, one of many fat mega updates that made Terraria famous and retained its fans, it just hit 30M sold copies across multiple formats since its May 2011 release.

Interestingly Re-logic published sales figures and a basic breakdown. Nothing weird about that, it's good publicity in itself, especially when you sell a lot.
  • 14 Million sold on PC
  • 7.6 Million sold on Consoles
  • 8.7 Million sold on Mobile devices
Since they announced sales figures last May, we know the game sold 2M copies on PC alone in a year, so the game still brings home the bacon even after nine years on the market. While it's often sold at discount prices, that's nothing to sneeze at. Most devs would kill a man to have a title with such legs.

Holammer

Is the big content update that's supposed to be Terraria's last big hurrah still coming?

From the Steam update:
"We wanted to take a moment out of our final push to complete the eagerly-anticipated Journey's End update and celebrate a little something with our loyal and awesome community."

So yes, game turns 9 years old in May so maybe they're waiting for that?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I never actually got around to playing Terraria, but it always sounded interesting. What's the best platform to play it on, given that it's on fucking everything now? Don't care about price or portability or mods.

Last edited:
I never actually got around to playing Terraria, but it always sounded interesting. What's the best platform to play it on, given that it's on fucking everything now? Don't care about price or portability or mods.

I would say PC because mouse precision is just super useful when your building your fort. Plus it makes aiming ranged weapons a lot easier and ranged combat is pretty big part of the late game.

Grinchy

Banned
I would say PC because mouse precision is just super useful when your building your fort. Plus it makes aiming ranged weapons a lot easier and ranged combat is pretty big part of the late game.
I started on PC, went to Vita, then PS4. The console controls really took some getting used to, and yeah, you lose a ton of precision and it makes things harder.

Still got the platinum trophy (it's the worst trophy grind I ever did and will ever do again). It took me like 5 years of coming back to it here and there.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Noticing a trend.

-Build a game full of discovery, procedural systems interacting with each other to simulate a world, and player expression
-Get it noticed, on social media (usually by YouTubers) with people sharing all the things they've found, done, or have had happen to them
-Mega-massive profits

No hate towards Minecraft, Terraria, and Subnautica (maybe I could throw in BotW and Animal Crossing?), all amazing executions of the design, but this type of game does seem exceedingly popular.

So no marketing, circus barkers or constant previews sells more than 90% of AAA console garbage, not surprised. This has been the norm for about a decade.

Should I get this for my Vita? Can someone who is a big fan of the title just brain dump a summary of it? I can only say that I had no interest in MineCraft and I quickly gave up on Dwarf Fortress.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So no marketing, circus barkers or constant previews sells more than 90% of AAA console garbage, not surprised. This has been the norm for about a decade.
Games with good gameplay and replayability will do that.

Unfortunately for most AAA games, many are stuffed to the gills with production values but are one and done. Most SP narratives, SP action games, and canned RPGs have zero replay value.

On the plus side, whether it's AAA or not, most shooters and sports and many open world games have high replay value.

When games like Terraria can be this successful as a.... single A game(?), or unratable indie game(?) it should perk up big third party publishing companies. But I think they are stuck with so many employees and overhead they feel it's safer to make AAA games then waste time trying to score big with a Terraria kind of game.

RedVIper

Banned
Noticing a trend.

-Build a game full of discovery, procedural systems interacting with each other to simulate a world, and player expression
-Get it noticed, on social media (usually by YouTubers) with people sharing all the things they've found, done, or have had happen to them
-Mega-massive profits

No hate towards Minecraft, Terraria, and Subnautica (maybe I could throw in BotW and Animal Crossing?), all amazing executions of the design, but this type of game does seem exceedingly popular.

I don't see how Subnautica fits in with these two?

RedVIper

Banned
Granted, I’ve only started watching Pewds play it, but it seems very much cut from that same cloth. I’ve seen crafting, making vehicles, etc.

Subnautica has a fixed world, with a fixed story. The last of us has crafting, I wouldn't bundle it with minecraft.

The new update is out!!!!!! LET'S FUCKING GOOOOO.

PeskyMisguidedCentipede-size_restricted.gif

edit: I'll never forget on the bombcast goty talks Jeff was always like "I'm not giving up Terraria" until the bombcrew piled on and bullied him into caving when once again he was right.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
With the upcoming 'Journey's End' content update, one of many fat mega updates that made Terraria famous and retained its fans, it just hit 30M sold copies across multiple formats since its May 2011 release.

Interestingly Re-logic published sales figures and a basic breakdown. Nothing weird about that, it's good publicity in itself, especially when you sell a lot.
  • 14 Million sold on PC
  • 7.6 Million sold on Consoles
  • 8.7 Million sold on Mobile devices
Since they announced sales figures last May, we know the game sold 2M copies on PC alone in a year, so the game still brings home the bacon even after nine years on the market. While it's often sold at discount prices, that's nothing to sneeze at. Most devs would kill a man to have a title with such legs.

Whilst those figures are undoubtedly impressive, I can't help but feel 7.6million on consoles is low. With a combination of 170~ million PS4s & Xboxs thats a hell of a lot of people missing out on what is one of the greatest games.

Holammer

The new update is out!!!!!! LET'S FUCKING GOOOOO.

PeskyMisguidedCentipede-size_restricted.gif

Already put in 8h or so, made a new character & generated a dewy fresh world to explore.

Whilst those figures are undoubtedly impressive, I can't help but feel 7.6million on consoles is low. With a combination of 170~ million PS4s & Xboxs thats a hell of a lot of people missing out on what is one of the greatest games.

Console gamers are busy with their EA sports titles and COD, I guess?

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

Silvawuff

Great game, totally deserved. It's so much fun, you can pick a spot, dig down, and have a good time with all the interesting stuff you'll come across. You don't have to build much besides a basic house if you just like the exploration aspect. I never got involved in the "end game" very much, but it's a good time regardless of how you play it. Once I was in a week-long power out and ended up playing the mobile version a bunch, it really saved the day.

Top Bottom