• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terminator Resistance - Announcement Trailer (PS4, Xbox One & Steam)

Stuart360

Yeah i dont think it looks bad at all, especially when its coming from the devs of 'Rambo The Videogame' lol.
It looks like a solid 6 or 7/10 game to me.
A bit worried that the game is out in 2 days but there still isnt a price on the Steam page, it makes me think that maybe everything about the game was rushed to meet the Terminator Dark Fate release.

molasar

Banned
Unless you are a hardcore fan of the franchise, the game is nothing special. They could pull it off in PS3/360 era as well IMO. However, yes, it has a nice 3D model of T-800 (missing moving eyeballs) but they are like cannon fodder when you get a weapon that can damage them. Not to mention simple AI. Also, Aliens: Colonial Marines with all its flaws is a better game in comparison.

TRES_HC_DES_PG_05_.jpg
TRES_HC_DES_PG_31_.jpg

Last edited:

Doczu

Also, Aliens: Colonial Marines with all its flaws is a better game in comparison.
Be serious now, ok? Is it REALY worse than Colonial Marines, cause that game.was a buggy, full of lies piece of software garbage that barely ran and was a laundring scheme to fund Borderlands development.
Is Terminator realy below that?

molasar

Banned
Be serious now, ok? Is it REALY worse than Colonial Marines, cause that game.was a buggy, full of lies piece of software garbage that barely ran and was a laundring scheme to fund Borderlands development.
Is Terminator realy below that?
Yes, IMO.

Gerdav

Didn’t even know this game was a thing until seeing and reading this thread now, I just went on the Xbox and PS4 stores £49.99:messenger_open_mouth:, I was not expecting this to be full price,, was expecting £24.99ish kind of like Ghostbusters remastered was, anyway it’s on my wish list on both consoles, when or if this hits £20-25 max I will probably bite.

Ivory Blood

I gotta say, considering the budget limitations and developers track record, this game is GOOD. Yes, it doesn't have the best animations, voice acting and AI is somewhat braindead, but holy hell, does it bring you the feel of Terminator's future war - you can actually see the passion that went into making it. What this game DOES have are somewhat open hub worlds, crafting that's not annoying or mandated, cliched but cool characters, guns straight from Terminator 2, and even some Alien: Isolation vibes with
Terminators hunting you, when you don't have any plasma weapons.

I definitely recommend this game to the fans of the franchise. This is what we should have gotten as a possible Terminator 2 follow-up instead of terrible movies.

Edit: Just finished it. The music is out of this fucking world. And my words about this being better than the films after 2 stand true - this is the real ending to the Terminator franchise.

Last edited:

Cravis

I want to try this. Definitely feels like the developers poured their hearts into it but were held back by the budget.

Terrible idea to release it when all the big holiday games are coming. Yeah I know they wanted the released to coincide with the new Terminator film. If they had known that film was going to drop and make about as big a splash as a turd in the toilet at the box office they could have waited and released it in a less crowded market.

I bought it on a whim. It's very average but not bad per say. The shooting mechanics feel pretty good, the NPCs look ridiculous though. It would make a great $20/$25 game. If your interested, pick it up on sale.

Larsowitz

Played the first two hrs or so yesterday, Atmosphere and gunplay is really good. Quite surprised how well made this game is.

molasar

Banned
It‘s much better than most reviews say.

It‘s not a AAA game, but that‘s fine with me.
So is it better gameplaywise in comparison to Syndicate (2012)? Or if it is stripped-down of Terminator themes (like T-800s, HK-tanks, HK-aerials and music) and replaced by generic ones, is the game still good?
I am a huge fan of the first two Terminator films, and I crave for a good game based on them. However I am not blinded enough to get an average one which makes low AI cannon fodder from T-800. It is the same with games based on Predator 1-2 and Aliens films.

My bottom line is still unchanged: only for not demanding gamers or hard-core fans. It is better to rewatch the films if you are not one of them.

Larsowitz

So is it better gameplaywise in comparison to Syndicate (2012)? Or if it is stripped-down of Terminator themes (like T-800s, HK-tanks, HK-aerials and music) and replaced by generic ones, is the game still good?
I am a huge fan of the first two Terminator films, and I crave for a good game based on them. However I am not blinded enough to get an average one which makes low AI cannon fodder from T-800. It is the same with games based on Predator 1-2 and Aliens films.

My bottom line is still unchanged: only for not demanding gamers or hard-core fans. It is better to rewatch the films if you are not one of them.

Did only play the first hour or so of Syndicate so I can’t really comment on that.

Imo it plays like one of these really good AA games released during the x360/ps3 and ps2/xbox era. Yes there are some flaws, but it also does many things right and atmosphere is definitely one of them.

There is lot’s of slow paced exploration (especially at the beginning), but I really liked that.

Why don’t you try the PC/steam version and see if you like it?

molasar

Banned
Did only play the first hour or so of Syndicate so I can’t really comment on that.

Imo it plays like one of these really good AA games released during the x360/ps3 and ps2/xbox era. Yes there are some flaws, but it also does many things right and atmosphere is definitely one of them.

There is lot’s of slow paced exploration (especially at the beginning), but I really liked that.

Why don’t you try the PC/steam version and see if you like it?
I have seen enough of gameplay video clips and played FPS games to make me mind already about it. Not to mention I have some ideas for a game based on the franchise which can treat it right.
Regarding Syndicate I remember its bad reviews by critics and gamers even though it is really a good game gameplaywise.

It could be this factor that the atmosphere of the future war is done right which blinds fans of the franchise. And it can be seen in the most reviews on Terminator: Resistance Steam page.

If the game was released as a budget game then I would be more positive about it.

Cravis

Just got notification that the console release has been pushed pack yet again. This time to January 7th. Well that just sucks.

stranno

The game has its flaws: Its stupidly easy even on Extreme mode, the AI of the Terminators is pretty dumb (like in the first movie tbh) and the choices have almost no effect in the story, except in the final video.

But it is a fun Borderlands clone.

The intelligence service of the resistance dont even notice that you are having sex with Jennifer, in a house without walls, 10 meters from a group of soldiers and 40 meters from the entrance of the shelter :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_ok:

7OyBxKd.jpg

6JdUnRx.jpg

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Bought this yesterday and I was ready to refund it to Steam within 15mins. to my surprise, I've kept the game and even played for about 2hrs. The combat is simple, but the RPG elements and the atmosphere can't be ignored. I also love their photoreal color scheme. They nailed it. Looks very similar to Killzone 2 and The Order 1866. I just wish they would have had a high res texture pack to go along with the game. It really feels like it was made for consoles. Maxing out the settings gives the same limitations (judder) as Jedi Fallen Order, so I have to lock to 4k/30FPS to get seamless gameplay.

Surprised to be liking this game though.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Played more today.. I am very impressed!

Man, if this game had high res textures, it would look incredible! I am in love with the overall art direction and the atmospherics. The post FX are insane but I'm not surprised as the UE biggest strength is the post processing shaders. They are VERY good. You get very addicted seeing the explosions happen and the sparks fly everywhere. The story is also pretty damn interesting. It's leading me to play more. I wish the game was more open world like Fallout.

Last edited:

Larsowitz

Played more today.. I am very impressed!

Man, if this game had high res textures, it would look incredible! I am in love with the overall art direction and the atmospherics. The post FX are insane but I'm not surprised as the UE biggest strength is the post processing shaders. They are VERY good. You get very addicted seeing the explosions happen and the sparks fly everywhere. The story is also pretty damn interesting. It's leading me to play more. I wish the game was more open world like Fallout.

Did you try the tweaks from the steam guide? It looks like this helps to improve sharpness/LOD issues etc.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Did you try the tweaks from the steam guide? It looks like this helps to improve sharpness/LOD issues etc.

Yes, I did! I adopted all of them except the post processing tweaking. To me, that destroys the entire look of the game and shows more of the low texture resolution problem. The tweaks I applied does better streaming, mip map level bias, etc.. but these tweaks will NOT make the low res textures look better. They are simply just too low res. I need the chromatic aberration (contrary to popular opinion) and the post processing blur filter on. It's now a perfect balance which really shows the look they was going for with the game.

Again, if I could go in and make the flashlight cast shadows and double the resolution of the textures and normal maps, this game would look beautiful!

RainblowDash

Gold Member
I impulse bought this on Steam, hope it’s decent.

The last game I bought was Generation Zero, similar concept. Excellent atmosphere but a little underwhelming.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I impulse bought this on Steam, hope it’s decent.

The last game I bought was Generation Zero, similar concept. Excellent atmosphere but a little underwhelming.

I'm liking this game more and more. I thought when people said the machines were dumb and super easy that I would hate it. I pretty much suck at reflexes and strategy so I'm getting more of a workout than I anticipated. It's really really hard to sneak up on a T-800 and knife kill him. It's very rewarding and very challenging. I can't speak enough of the atmosphere though. They really nailed the photoreal look and volumetric lighting in the scene. It's very filmic. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Top Bottom