• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent starts US studio to make AAA games for next-gen consoles

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Tencent Games is opening a new studio in Orange County, which is working on a AAA console game for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

The new developer falls under Tencent's existing Lightspeed & Quantum subsidiary, which was founded in 2008 as one of the four studios within the Chinese publisher.

LightSpeed LA will be based in Orange County, and led by Rockstar veteran Steve Martin, who held leadership roles on Grand Theft Auto 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2, among others.

Martin will be both the studio head and executive producer of development. In a statement released today, he pledged to create "a crunch-free and inclusive culture" for its growing team.

"We're ushering a new era of game culture by combining world-class development with a stress-free work environment," Martin said. "From day one, our teams will be focused on building the highest caliber games while promoting integrity, proactivity, collaboration, and creativity."

LightSpeed LA has already recruited a team with experience at companies including Rockstar Games, Respawn Entertainment, 2K Games, and Insomniac.

The first project will be a AAA open world game for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

Is this where the xbox live fellow is going?

Love Tencent, it’s like double of me cause I am Wumao... which means 5 Chairman Maos in Chinese.
Now i finally understand that song:

Mao mao mao, wumao, mao-mao mao mao. Has everybody heard, about the word, that the bird, bird, bird, bird, bird is the word.

It's chinese propoganda!

Ar¢tos

It's clever.
Make the story and design in the US, use Chinese sweatshop studios to make all the assets, assemble everything in US with a small team = American game, free from China related criticism.

iorek21

ce6.jpg

Top Bottom