• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent is focusing more on owning majority of shares in companies to control them, and less on fully acquiring them

chromhound

Hell GIF by Steve Harvey TV

What were some good gaming IPO in Europe this year? looks like old Ubisoft tanked into cheap seats with Tencent buy.
might be a good time to invest in Europe.

Ansphn

Tencent and Microsoft has unlimited money. But right now, Tencent does not make a console nor do they have their own PC launcher so their games will go to every console. Microsoft is the most dangerous if you want to play games because they just buy studios and lock them up forcing them to not release anymore games.

Been trying to sell my Xbox but nobody wants it at a fair price. People offering shitty ass pricing like 40-50$..I know the console has no games but I spent full price on it. I rather let it collect dust than sell it for that cheap.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

They own an undisclosed percentage from platinum games ? No wonder why Sony or MS didn’t buy them. They couldn’t . It seems majority is being owned by them shessh

Fredrik

What are the concerns regarding a Tencent ownership? How could it negatively affect gaming as we know it?

Chukhopops

What are the concerns regarding a Tencent ownership? How could it negatively affect gaming as we know it?
Well Tencent investments are motivated by their return, so you should expect a focus on things with higher profitability like mobile gaming, aggressive monetization, live services etc… but that’s already happening anyway and that will be the same with any investment funds money.

You can look at Riot games for an example of changes following full acquisition.

Content wise I don’t think much will change except you won’t see this any time soon in a Tencent-owned studio:
t6xNbYM.jpg

Those Tencent walls of gaming are closing in on you... won't be much room left to breathe soon.
I'm a PC gamer who avoid most AAA titles. The games I'm interested right now are games like Terra Invicta and Pathfinder:WOTR. I think I'll survive without Tencent.

But honestly, even if a game was of interest to me, once tencent, and their CCP dictated "sensibilities" controls the development, I'll already know the contents will have been stripped of anything that can remotely interpreted to offend the CCP regime, which mean it can have little intellectual or entertainment value.

For example, here is the seven don't mentions in an official CCP internal documents

https://i.redd.it/gjovwra7fgc41.jpg

Last edited:

Fredrik

1. Your money is directly feeding the Chinese Communist party, their platform, and the atrocities they commit.
2. They will eventually start imposing their CCP-dictated cultural and content norms and limiting content that does not meet those norms.

Well Tencent investments are motivated by their return, so you should expect a focus on things with higher profitability like mobile gaming, aggressive monetization, live services etc… but that’s already happening anyway and that will be the same with any investment funds money.

You can look at Riot games for an example of changes following full acquisition.

Content wise I don’t think much will change except you won’t see this any time soon in a Tencent-owned studio:
t6xNbYM.jpg
Thanks, sounds like concerns over Huawei money flow combined with Gamepass sustainability, plus politics censorship. Lovely discussions ahead lol
Is there some concerns over privacy as well? Included spyware?

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
hopefully they acquire the remaining big publishers out there , at least games will still stay multiplatform.
Same to Saudi as well.

Ah yes, multiplatform on Abdulstation and W(innie)box

Thanks, sounds like concerns over Huawei money flow combined with Gamepass sustainability, plus politics censorship. Lovely discussions ahead lol
Is there some concerns over privacy as well? Included spyware?

Whatever privacy protection such a company would claim to offer would be ignored by them the moment the CCP asks them for data, they will offer up every bit of data they have on their customers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
2. They will eventually start imposing their CCP-dictated cultural and content norms and limiting content that does not meet those norms.
Watches Rings of Power, She-Hulk, etc… mmh ok… no cultural propaganda there…
It feels that it is because it is another country and it is a country whose economy could still surpass the U.S. one or get close enough not to be comfortable. It is not like we have the private sector doing much of the same activist propaganda for their own interests ( https://www.blackrock.com/ch/individual/en/themes/sustainable-investing ).
How many remakes, reboots, etc… are “adapted for modern audiences sensibilities”?

Whatever privacy protection such a company would claim to offer would be ignored by them the moment the CCP asks them for data, they will offer up every bit of data they have on their customers.
As opposed to project prism of not so distant memory… As opposed to why not Apple E2E encrypts your iCloud backups not even as an option so that they can get the privacy as human right propaganda point and give your data as soon as the government asks?

Not putting them at the same level, especially in every category, but there is a level of sanctimony here sometimes going off the charts…

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Tencent, Alphabet, Blackrock, Unilever, etc and, unfortunately, the list doesn't go on and on lol.

Our world is owned by a few.

RISE UP!

Watches Rings of Power, She-Hulk, etc… mmh ok… no cultural propaganda there…
It feels that it is because it is another country and it is a country whose economy could still surpass the U.S. one or get close enough not to be comfortable. It is not like we have the private sector doing much of the same activist propaganda for their own interests ( https://www.blackrock.com/ch/individual/en/themes/sustainable-investing ).
How many remakes, reboots, etc… are “adapted for modern audiences sensibilities”?

As opposed to project prism of not so distant memory… As opposed to why not Apple E2E encrypts your iCloud backups not even as an option so that they can get the privacy as human right propaganda point and give your data as soon as the government asks?

Not putting them at the same level, especially in every category, but there is a level of sanctimony here sometimes going off the charts…
You're comparing the bite of an insect to that of a Great White Shark. It's not about levels of sanctimony, it's really about the CCP's levels of depravity and cruelty.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
As long as they can buy low and raise the bottom line even further. Chinese. Don't. Care. About. Ethics.

Last edited:

Stooky

1. Your money is directly feeding the Chinese Communist party, their platform, and the atrocities they commit.
stop making shit up lol. Most of the games made now use a lot of outsourcing in china. you think all that money is funneled to the communist party? 90% of the products in your house came form china and this where you start complaining lol go read a book lol. -edited

Last edited:

Leviathicus

Neo Member
stop making shit up lol. Some movies are funded by chinese companies. A Chinese company owns Dreamworks. Most of the games made now use a lot of outsourcing in china. you think all that money is funneled to the communist party? 90% of the products in your house came form china and this where you start complaining lol go read a book lol.

Isn't Dreamworks owned by an american company called Comcast?

Top Bottom