• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8: Speculation, Discussion and wishlist

Griffon

Interesting if true

Well, to be honest, UE4 was a pretty bad fit for T7.
Their custom T6 and TTT engine was doing very good during the PS3 gen, and the T7 engine felt like a regression on many fronts.

The only positive change that UE4 brought was the PC port, but I believe they have the know-how to manage their own.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Make Paul a good character again and not stupid as fuck like how Japanese people think Americans behave.

Time for new animations, Move sets have looked the same since Tekken 3 ffs.

No more 2D characters and crap DLC like Leroy Negan Noctis and that Thai kickboxer when they already have Bruce...

I don't mind juggling combos and launchers etc but jesus christ do we really need bound screw etc

Make throws useful, way to easy to push away, and make kings chain throws harder to escape.

Make smaller characters faster and more evasive but have less powerful moves and bigger slower and harder kinda like Jack2 in tekken 2 kinda shit.

Make the arenas and ost great again, T7 arenas and music were shit and not remotely memorable.

Edit - Holy fuck no more silly joke characters like Lucky Chloe, and improve the online play massively.

Last edited:

SSfox

Their custom T6 and TTT engine was doing very good during the PS3 gen, and the T7 engine felt like a regression on many fronts.

The only positive change that UE4 brought was the PC port, but I believe they have the know-how to manage their own.
The game ended overall great imo, tho in some aspects Tekken 6 was much better, like for example no footprint in snow, less hair physics and deeper customization.

Tiamat2san

Optimisation on Xbox consoles this time.(if a pro version of the next-gen consoles are released)
7 is still 720p on Xbox.

An ending per character like in the old games.
No multi level stages.
More single player content.
Rollback net code for online matches.

SSfox

Just saw that Bandai leak with Tekken 8, probably fake but make me wonder when we'll get Tekken 8 announcement.

I think Evo can be a possibility, or maybe Gameawards? Or maybe a Sony event planned for this year. Those are probably the biggest and best place to announce the game during this year.

God lord please let's have a costumization mode ala Tekken 6 and not like 7 and TTT2

And please more classic costumes from previous Tekken, they really dropped the ball in that departement for Tekken 7

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Why was UE4 a bad fit for Tekken 7?

On Topic
Expect it to be UE5.
Highly detailed backgrounds.
Better cloth physics.
Yoshimitsus wildest costume yet.
Electric shit.

//DEVIL//

No need for flashy lights with every hits. Make the punches and kicks have more heavy weight in them like you can feel they are getting hit. Not just paper punches ..

No PS4 and Xbox one version..let these consoles die already they are done and they are begging to be put back in the closet to rest for life

Last edited:
Please be not crossgen and no dlc bullshit to compmete the fighter roster
Unfortunately, I’m guaranteeing it will be filled to the core with plenty of expensive DLC since fighting games are essentially glorified live service games sadly. Even though I feel it’s release date is probably very far away to be honest, it will probably end up being crossgen which would really suck imo.

Last edited:
Kazuya flashback from Tekken 1 to nowdays means that will be a slugfest of all games released, in other words, a Tekken Tag-like game, not Tekken 8.

SSfox

I present you Eddy Gordo one of the baddest fighting game character in history

FaFPZEmXEAcMRbn

Then:

I forgot how much they turned him into a clown in T7
0fWdjMV.png

I too have a prediction.

BASE:
Kazuya, Jin, Nina, Anna, Yoshimitsu,
King, Law, Paul, Jack, Kuma,
Bruce, Lei, Baek, Eddy, Bryan,
Xiaoyu, Steve, Asuka, Feng, Raven,
Dragunov, JC, Leroy, Lidia, Mokujin
Newcomer 1, Newcomer 2, Newcomer 3

DLC1:
Heihachi, Hwoarang, Lili, Zafina, Devil Jin, Guest 1

DLC2:
Lars, Armor King, Kunimitsu, Miguel, Lee, Guest 2

RETCONNED:
LC, Eliza, Josie, Katarina, Claudio,
Shaheen, Rule 63 Raven, Akuma, Alisa, Bob

* I know Baek and Bruce being in the base roster is wishful thinking. However, I have a feeling that the roster cuts will be aggresive and many mainstays will be sold as DLC.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t want anymore more 2D characters in Tekken 8. I do like all the characters in Tekken 7, but fighting against the 2D characters was not fun and totally changed the gameplay mechanics and not in a good way imo.

GenericUser

My wishlist:

- more cool, unique character customizations (not that goofy stuff though)
- faster loading times (make it super quick please!)
- frame data being in the game from day one
- generally enhanced online capabilities (better netcode, punishment for pluggers etc.)
- "observer mode" where you can watch other people play in real time (like in VF5)
- Don't make the DLC OP again. In fact, give new characters away for free and instead adept a battle pass system like fortnite/cod. I'm pretty sure tekken maniacs would buy the shit out of fancy customisation items.

Bring back Feng day 1, I play feng.
(and please don't nerf him, thanks harada)

EDMIX

I don't want much really.

Story mode of course as I feel Tekken probably has the best story in all fighting games. Kids getting thrown off cliffs and shit lol

Destroyable environments should remain

DLC must be OP, that is the way /s

P.Jack

I wish they’d release more than one DLC character at a time, like three at once. It would be more expansion like and maybe then they wouldn’t feel the need to make them OP. And they should be playable in offline versus with tournament mode enabled even if you haven’t bought them, ’cause DLC can be a real hassle for all the TOs out there.

TrashHeadEgg

Neo Member
I sincerely hope that Heihachi stays dead. They pulled that shit once before with Tekken 5, and while that intro movie is dope as hell, it literally didn't matter because he just slept it off and got better.

SSfox

I was playing Tekken 5 and BRO i miss so much some customization

tekken_5__hwoarang_costumization_by_lonerpx_dcrf0kp-pre.jpg

The bottom left 2 hairstyle, specially the super bottom one, SO FUCKING DOPE. Now i understand why i don't play Bob in T7 as much as i used to in T5, they basically removed him all the aesthetic things i loved on him. I used to use this hair with full black Kimomo, the Heihachi gold statur, and other parts i switch between the path and bottle ect, must have around 500 hours at least with just Hwoarang in T5, the REAL Tekken spirit and asthetics.

Instead in Tekken 7 they gave everyone a fucking wing angels and showers, what a big downgrade it has been for Tekken post 6 when it comes to customization
SA2OKPy.png

Last edited:
I was playing Tekken 5 and BRO i miss so much some customization

tekken_5__hwoarang_costumization_by_lonerpx_dcrf0kp-pre.jpg

The bottom left 2 hairstyle, specially the super bottom ones, SO FUCKING DOP. Now i understand why i don't play Bob in T7 as much as i used to in T5, they basically removed him all the aesthetic things i loved on him. I used to use this hair with full black Kimomo, the Heihachi gold statur, and other parts i switch between the path and bottle ect, must have around 500 hours at least with just Hwoarang in T5, the REAL Tekken spirit and asthetics.

Instead in Tekken 7 they gave everyone a fucking wing angels and showers, and a big downgrade it has been for Tekken post 6 when it comes to customization
SA2OKPy.png
Yes, I really miss the customization of the older Tekken games especially Tekken 6. I really hope Tekken 8 introduces customization on par or preferably better than the older games.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

For me it's simple... look at what SF6 is offering.

Now, the literal model of what SF6 is likely too much to hope for, I'm sure -- the vastness of what they're doing looks crazy and I'd be surprised if Tekken could match that scope and scale. But in general, regardless of scale, when you really boil it down Capcom seems to be doing something which is pretty straightforward, and causing me to be excited to jump into that game despite not really playing SF since the early days of 4.

- Single player mode, with depth
- Decent options for character customization
- Variety of game modes (perhaps even legacy games included)

I don't need a complete customize your character mode in an MMO-like environment, which is what SF6 seems to be aiming for... but at least a decent story mode with engaging elements for the most recognizable faces, and a good (not boilerplate) visual customization. the deeper in terms of colors/items and ability to make your characters really stand out as unique, the better.

In terms of visuals and gameplay, the experience of playing in a T8 match, I don't expect this at all but I'd like a more focused experience with fewer juggle chains. I don't like the way the gameplay has progressed -- the best of Tekken for me is 3, Tag, 4, and 5, those are the last I really played a TON of -- and I get that juggles is Tekken's thing and has been for a long time, even somewhat in those games, but it feels like it's gone crazy over last couple entries.

Visually, I'd like progressive damage over the course of the round, and maybe even whole match, damage to character models and specific outfits.

And I'd loooove to be able to jump in and play T3/TT online vs friends, or if not that an optional/selectable TEKKEN 8 TAG game mode, which I could play against friends... but doubt any of that will be happening.

If the TAG feature is available, I'd also really like all of Wang, Xiaoyu, King, & Armor King ALL in at launch! And even though he's "dead" I'd like Heihachi back at some point, even as DLC.

Last edited:

dezzy8

I find any fighting game really boring nowadays.

For Tekken to grab me again, I'd want to see a complete reboot of the series and a complete reboot of the fighting genre.

I'm not sure how this would look in practice, but I always imagined a full 3D, 4 v 4 fighter, with an over the shoulder 3rd person view, complete with fully destructible/interactive environments (like the Battlefield series) and a long, epic campaign.

Something like that would get be back into fighting games.
I’m glad you don’t make games. That would suck. And flop.

light2x

This game reminds me of Tekken 3 which was the best looking game at the time. No one had seen graphics like that on any other system.

Personally I would like to see better lobbies for online play and more story content. SF6 is doing everything right so it wouldn't hurt to take a page from that.

Excoman

Banned
Just conclude the fucking Mishima family soap opera that was ongoing since 1994.

After that instead of Tekken 9, just name it Tekken, and start all over with characters young(er) again.

If any series should get a hard reboot, it's Tekken.

SSfox

Seems like the roster is already decided?

Hopefully it's gonna be a good looking and balanced roster that prioritize the best and most iconic characters (even tho this is subjectif to one to another)

anthony2690

Banned
All I need is a good training mode.

Excellent rollback online + crossplay to be happy.

They can scrap fluff like the silly costume editor rubbish.

Rheon

Seems like the roster is already decided?

Hopefully it's gonna be a good looking and balanced roster that prioritize the best and most iconic characters (even tho this is subjectif to one to another)

That makes sense, and is also a good sign that the game is far enough ahead in development.

Top Bottom