• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taro Yoko (Drakengard, Nier Director) - Game Development + Philosophies of Violence

Yasumi

Banned
With the release of Drakengard 3, Square-Enix posted a video interview with the director of the game, Taro Yoko. He brought up some very intriguing ideas on the commonality of violence in both games and society as a whole. What do you guys think?

Drakengard 3 -- Philosophies of Violence

I have a feeling this is going to be subtitled, so I'd like to talk about some things that I've never discussed with our Western audience before.

For starters, I've always felt that the possibilities of expression in games were expansive. As the hardware improves, it allows for more functions and a greater range of expressions. At least that's what I thought would happen. But there's actually quite a bit of limitation. I've felt for a long time that there wasn't a whole lot of expression or presentation that was "acceptable." For a game that retails for 7800 Yen - I honestly have no idea what that'd be in US dollars, but let's say $60. So say you came up with an idea to create a $60 game that ends in three minutes. But that's just not going to happen. I don't know how to phrase it, but it's like there's this invisible wall that you can't breach. Those three minutes could be the most beautiful three minutes ever made, but there are societal expectations or demands that prohibit you from making such a game. That's the reality.

One of these restrictions or invisible walls is the demand to create games in which we kill things. That's the objective for a vast majority of games out on the market. If we're not killing, we're gaining an advantage over someone. What do we do in sports games? You defeat your opponent and strive to become the champs. There are so many examples of similar games and, actually, it appears that consumers prefer this mechanic. Moreover, as a person who makes games, I myself have always enjoyed standing above others, and I would wonder why that is. It was about 10 years ago when we were working on the original Drakengard that I thought about the meaning of "killing." I was looking at a lot of games back then, and I saw messages like "You've defeated 100 enemies!" or "Eradicated 100 enemy soldiers!" in an almost gloating manner. But when I thought about it in an extremely calm state of mind, it hit me that gloating about killing a hundred people is strange. I mean, you're a serial killer if you killed a hundred people. It just struck me as insane. That's why I decided to have the army of the protagonist in Drakengard be one where everyone's insane, to create this twisted organization where everyone's wrong and unjust. I wanted to weave a tale about these twisted people. And when we worked on Nier... We created this game called Nier, and after the world experienced the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the war in Iraq, we were being bombarded with updates on terrorist organizations and activities, even in Japan. That's when my opinion changed. The vibe I was getting from society was: you don't have to be insane to kill someone. You just have to think you're right. So that's why I made Nier a game revolving around the concept of "being able to kill others if you think you're right," or "everyone believes that they're in the right."

So these were games that made me think about what it means to kill, but that's really just how I personally felt. I don't think it really affects the players. The discussion about what type of game a title is really falls to the players who've gone out and actually played the game. I truly believe that games are a medium that allows the player to find their own answers to these questions. The thoughts and beliefs of the game creators are separate and often quite vague. Which brings us to the third installment... I still don't have any answers after making the first two, and I had no idea what to do. And since I can't divulge any information about the story or game world, I'll just say that I decided to do a complete about-face and depict an answer from left field, if you will. That was my goal, but I couldn't find any answers for myself. You could say that the third game left me with unanswered questions, at least internally.

So Drakengard 3 has been released in Japan, but I think that these types of killing games will continue to permeate the industry... Deprivation due to terrorism and inequalities still exist. We still see a multitude of competition, be it corporate competition or getting a better grade than a friend in school. The world in which we try to stand above everybody else has remained the same during the last 10 years I've made games. This whole time, I have been thinking about these games in which we kill. And looking at the world, the gaming industry, and my own work after making the third installment in the Drakengard series, I have to say that there has been no revolution or great change. I perceive that as a failure. At least for me, it's a personal failure. But... I say "But," because I remain convinced of the tremendous potential in games. And with the assumption that this interview will be subtitled, there is something I want to get across to people in game development worldwide.

I think the hidden barriers are many and various, visually and functionally, but I also think we are close to breaking through them. Especially regarding the limitations in having to kill in our games, perhaps the solutions to breaking through such limitations may not be found in a place like Japan where it is relatively peaceful, but in countries that are more directly impacted by terrorism and war. What I would really like to see is for game developers to not take these limitations as a given, to bring some real change to the world. Anyway, I usually don't like interviews, but as long as I'm doing this, I thought I would take this opportunity to say something of some substance.

K.Sabot

Very good and entertaining interview.

Excited to see what concepts I can divulge from Drakengard 3. When it gets here.

Holykael1

Banned
It was very interesting to get some info on the man himself.
He raises some interesting points. The fact that games are made for profit first and foremost creates these invisible barriers he talks about.
At the same time it forces creators to push the boundaries to try and overcome the limits of those barriers and then there are also passion projects where full creative freedom exists as we have seen with the latest indie booms.

I think a lot of what he says here is why I like the games he makes so much. What video games can do and make you feel has always been interesting to me and Yoko Taro is one of the few developers out there really willing to explore it.

DVCY201

Some very poignant points brought up. I hope he's able to find employment, and keep working on what he likes/wants to do. I'd love to see future games from him (although hopefully with a slightly better budget).

Zhao_Yun

We created this game called Nier, and after the world experienced the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the war in Iraq, we were being bombarded with updates on terrorist organizations and activities, even in Japan. That's when my opinion changed. The vibe I was getting from society was: you don't have to be insane to kill someone. You just have to think you're right. So that's why I made Nier a game revolving around the concept of "being able to kill others if you think you're right," or "everyone believes that they're in the right."

Very interesting point and I think Nier sucessfully got that message across to the players.
Dat second playthrough!

Holykael1

Banned
I can't believe not many people explored the idea of moral ambiguity with video games(in the way it was done in Nier anyway).. It's such a perfect fit as a narrative device for the gaming medium(since it involves direct control from the audience ofc)..

Nier was a masterpiece and it pulled it off beautifully.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
That barely counts as an interview, really. It's mostly a monologue from a hand puppet.

But I think it's my favorite video game related interview ever.

I pretty much threw Drakengard 3 straight onto the backlog when I got it, but in retrospect that was probably a bad idea.

Korigama

Interesting interview with an equally interesting method for conducting it. I considered Nier one of the best surprises of the seventh generation, and have been looking forward to Drakengard 3 for some time now.

I can't believe not many people explored the idea of moral ambiguity with video games(in the way it was done in Nier anyway).. It's such a perfect fit as a narrative device for the gaming medium(since it involves direct control from the audience ofc)..

Nier was a masterpiece and it pulled it off beautifully.

Seriously. The game also does so much with the idea of sacrifice. The game really emphasizes the consequences of your actions--both good and bad.

I think the reason why Nier resonated with so many people is because he used that possibility to express to great effect.

I appreciate that layer of depth he adds to his games.

Top Bottom