• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Yeah, same question - should i bother with Hexen Island and Alisha DLC? Because i'm already tired of this game. There is same reskin bosses/enemies? And how long is they?

Hexen Island isn't really worth it. The Alisha DLC isn't great, but it does elaborate on the ending if you want that.

Ascheroth

Well, so I've finished the game a few days ago.
The ending was definitely underwhelming, imo. I think the game peaked at the
Tiamat
fight. The whole presentation of that battle was amazing, especially the music and the interwoven cutscenes. Can't describe what I felt when the soundtrack changed, soooooo gooood.

On the whole I'm kinda torn. There are some aspects of the game that are incredibly fun, but there is probably an equal amount of stuff that is equally annoying.

It looks great, the combat system is really fun, I liked all the characters and the story was mostly decent and had some great moments here and there.

On the other hand, some bosses were really annoying, the AI is dumb as a brick most of the time and I couldn't care less about the equipment-skill system.

Especially the skill system. At first I fight it would be pretty cool, had lots of possibilities for customization, etc. I remember farming equipment at the beginning until everyone had the first or second column full and got a major boost.
Sounds cool in theory, but this also meant that I got absolutely nothing better for a veeery long time.
At some point I just said fuck it and just stopped (mostly) caring about the whole system and fusioning and everyting and just used whatever I had on hand that looked liked an upgrade at the first glance.
I think I defeated the final boss on moderate without a single fusioned equipment piece because I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

I think my biggest problem with the skill system is that you don't really have much control at all until very late in the game with the Normins, Drop Rate Boost, Luring, Weapon Ordering etc, but at this point I already didn't care anymore and used neither of them for the most part.
Doesn't help that the game apparently has a ton of little hidden mechanics around that system that are poorly explained ingame.

Well yeah, on the whole I think it was an alright game, but I don't have much interest in playing the Alicia DLC or post-game content. Thank god I got free Symphonia with it (never played it, so I'm looking forward to it).

I still haven't bought the game, so the question is, unlocking the framerate to 60 fps needs a more powerful PC than the normal requirements? I think I'm good with a 970GTX, the question is about the CPU, I still have an i5-2500@3,30Ghz

Miff

Lttp but i started this game yesterday. A bit lost on how the skill sheet works. Is there a guide to it somewhere

You may have figured out that each piece of equipment will put a number of squares on your skill sheet, activating different stat-boosts depending on where they fall. It gets a little more complicated as additional bonuses are given if squares appear in certain configurations (i.e. next to each other or stacked on top of each other).

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. As you progress you'll be cross-referencing equipment stats against the skill sheet, and it eventually becomes clearer. I found it hard to take in at the start, especially whilst trying to understand the intricacies of the battle system and the item fusing rules.

I still haven't bought the game, so the question is, unlocking the framerate to 60 fps needs a more powerful PC than the normal requirements? I think I'm good with a 970GTX, the question is about the CPU, I still have an i5-2500@3,30Ghz

I have a GTX970 but a much older CPU (Q6600 @ 2.4ghz). It works fine everywhere for me except my machine really struggles in towns. The mod has a hotkey that allows you to snap back down to 30fps tho. So it should work well for you where it matters (in combat etc.) but I can't comment on performance in towns.

You may have figured out that each piece of equipment will put a number of squares on your skill sheet, activating different stat-boosts depending on where they fall. It gets a little more complicated as additional bonuses are given if squares appear in certain configurations (i.e. next to each other or stacked on top of each other).

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. As you progress you'll be cross-referencing equipment stats against the skill sheet, and it eventually becomes clearer. I found it hard to take in at the start, especially whilst trying to understand the intricacies of the battle system and the item fusing rules.

So just to satisfy my curiosity, here's a few questions:

1. Why are some icons lit up while others are dark?
2. I got an E-Union, but nothing that looks like the shape of an E. What is that?
3. They all have a little number next to them. I thought that meant how many there are of the same thing in a row, but I've got a number 3 with just 2 things in a row. So what is that?
4. Why is one of them flashing?

Is my ps4 version busted or does the game disable screen shots the entire time? I can't even screen shot during combat\open world\ or skits =\

Cornbread78

Soulstar

So just to satisfy my curiosity, here's a few questions:

1. Why are some icons lit up while others are dark?
2. I got an E-Union, but nothing that looks like the shape of an E. What is that?
3. They all have a little number next to them. I thought that meant how many there are of the same thing in a row, but I've got a number 3 with just 2 things in a row. So what is that?
4. Why is one of them flashing?

Let's see if I can get all of these...

1. The lit up icons are the skills your character currently have equipped. The Dark icons are skills that you have discovered but not equipped on that particular character currently.

2. E-Union is when two or more skills are equipped in a row but they must be right next to each other. You get a bonus skill when you have an E-Union.

3. The number is how many of that particular skill that character has equipped. You can stack the same skill and it will give you a bonus skill. I believe the skill improves the more yo stack.

4. The flashing circle means you are stacking a skill. The flashing horizontal line is an E-Union and the flashing vertical line is the G-Union.

Bonus. G-Union is when you equip all five skills in a column. This also gives you a bonus skill.

This is kind of a bare bones explanation and I probably got something wrong so if anyone want's to elaborate or correct me be my guest.

Man. I was excited to finally play a new Tales game when Zestria hit PC. (Don't tend to bother getting Sony consoles) and I have to say. I am definitely not a fan of Zestria one bit.

The characters are incredibly boring. Rose, Sorey, Lailah, Mikleo... they just all seem to have their "Generic-nothing redeemable and horribly boring animoo character" sliders to the max.

The battle system is incredibly weak. (Literally been able to beat anything just by spamming dodge and attack in any direction or armatizing and doing the same)

Lack of freedom with the party is absolutely dreadful. I *loathe* Sorey and Rose. The Seraphs are the only (slight) redeemable characters and I can't have all 4, because of a (not fun) feature that is only handy during boss battles? Reeeeeeally?

Ugh. I'm not trying to ruin anyone elses fun. I'm just so bummed out. The last Tales game I've played and liked was Abyss and I'm still sticking by my opinion that it's the best one to date that I've played. (Keep in mind, no Xillia/2, Graces, or Hearts)

I was looking forward to Graces when I thought it was still on its way here for the Wii, but obviously Nintendo hasn't gotten any Tales games in the US in forever, so I've been quite abandoned by what used to be my favorite JRPG series.

Can someone please tell me Xillia/2 and Graces f are a lot better than Zestria? I'm dying to play a decent Tales game again. =(

Edit: And no, I don't like Vesperia either. None of the characters "click" and the battle-system doesn't feel right for some reason.

squall211

Man. I was excited to finally play a new Tales game when Zestria hit PC. (Don't tend to bother getting Sony consoles) and I have to say. I am definitely not a fan of Zestria one bit.

The characters are incredibly boring. Rose, Sorey, Lailah, Mikleo... they just all seem to have their "Generic-nothing redeemable and horribly boring animoo character" sliders to the max.

The battle system is incredibly weak. (Literally been able to beat anything just by spamming dodge and attack in any direction or armatizing and doing the same)

Lack of freedom with the party is absolutely dreadful. I *loathe* Sorey and Rose. The Seraphs are the only (slight) redeemable characters and I can't have all 4, because of a (not fun) feature that is only handy during boss battles? Reeeeeeally?

Ugh. I'm not trying to ruin anyone elses fun. I'm just so bummed out. The last Tales game I've played and liked was Abyss and I'm still sticking by my opinion that it's the best one to date that I've played. (Keep in mind, no Xillia/2, Graces, or Hearts)

I was looking forward to Graces when I thought it was still on its way here for the Wii, but obviously Nintendo hasn't gotten any Tales games in the US in forever, so I've been quite abandoned by what used to be my favorite JRPG series.

Can someone please tell me Xillia/2 and Graces f are a lot better than Zestria? I'm dying to play a decent Tales game again. =(

Edit: And no, I don't like Vesperia either. None of the characters "click" and the battle-system doesn't feel right for some reason.

Wow. I thought this cast was one of the better JRPG casts to come along in a while.

Let's see if I can get all of these...

1. The lit up icons are the skills your character currently have equipped. The Dark icons are skills that you have discovered but not equipped on that particular character currently.

2. E-Union is when two or more skills are equipped in a row but they must be right next to each other. You get a bonus skill when you have an E-Union.

3. The number is how many of that particular skill that character has equipped. You can stack the same skill and it will give you a bonus skill. I believe the skill improves the more yo stack.

4. The flashing circle means you are stacking a skill. The flashing horizontal line is an E-Union and the flashing vertical line is the G-Union.

Bonus. G-Union is when you equip all five skills in a column. This also gives you a bonus skill.

This is kind of a bare bones explanation and I probably got something wrong so if anyone want's to elaborate or correct me be my guest.

So about bonus skills, are the bonus skills just random or is there some way to know what bonus skill you'll get by making a certain E / G / whatever union.

Wow. I thought this cast was one of the better JRPG casts to come along in a while.

JRPG maybe. I don't play too many JRPGs released recently. I don't like "Turn based" anymore so it kinda limits my choices.. JRPGs like Xenoblade Chronicles, Abyss, FF6, FFX and Crono Trigger are what I hold "Character" standards to. I suppose.

Tales games (Symphonia and Abyss specifically) are something I hold to high regard, and hope every sequential one improves on the last. (Like how I felt Abyss was a great bound above Symphonia)

For "Tales" games, this cast just feels poor to me, along with the story. Vesperia felt very similar, and I know people LOVE Vesperia.

Fisico

JRPG maybe. I don't play too many JRPGs released recently. I don't like "Turn based" anymore so it kinda limits my choices.. JRPGs like Xenoblade Chronicles, Abyss, FF6, FFX and Crono Trigger are what I hold "Character" standards to. I suppose.

Tales games (Symphonia and Abyss specifically) are something I hold to high regard, and hope every sequential one improves on the last. (Like how I felt Abyss was a great bound above Symphonia)

For "Tales" games, this cast just feels poor to me, along with the story. Vesperia felt very similar, and I know people LOVE Vesperia.

After reading your posts it sounds like to me that your opinion is mostly driven by nostalgia and that the series isn't heading where you want it to, it's fine but it's kinda hard to tell you what you would be able to like or not but my guess would be that the series just isn't for you anymore.

Buuuut if you liked Abyss maybe Xillia 2 could be your thing, it's the darkest episode by far and the battle system is pretty good, its biggest flaw is that you kinda have to go through Xillia 1 first then Xillia 2 itself use a lots of assets from the first Xillia.

So well it's up to you, mind if I ask you in which difficulty you were playing in battle for Zestiria ?

Firestorm

Hm if you don't like Vesperia I don't know if there's much left in the series for you. I thought Lailah and Rose were both pretty strong characters -- Lailah in particular had an amazing localization and I enjoyed her a lot but I'm just all about awful puns. Everyone I know playing the game that is done with anime tropes also loved Lailah.

The skill system felt awful but I really liked their use of the Seraphs + Humans in battle. Lots of cool on the fly changes that let you use the entire party instead of just a few.

ezodagrom

tumblr_n3r0a49fGG1sthzylo1_250.gif

Finally unlocked Intense, and now for some reason refilling the Blast Gauge fills slowly. I wonder if it is because I switched my gear for Sorey or if it is something else, in any case, Ive now had to be a bit more cautious :( Intense doesn't even feel that much harder than hard and normal IMO. Still I run from anytime I get caught with 4+ enemies that can cast artes since those are just annoying to play against in such battles.

I cant believe Im still getting beat by those random map hellions even when I lower to normal :( yet can beat boss fights on hard and intense :( I get to like a sliver of health left and then everyone is defeated.

Bladenic

Finally unlocked Intense, and now for some reason refilling the Blast Gauge fills slowly. I wonder if it is because I switched my gear for Sorey or if it is something else, in any case, Ive now had to be a bit more cautious :( Intense doesn't even feel that much harder than hard and normal IMO. Still I run from anytime I get caught with 4+ enemies that can cast artes since those are just annoying to play against in such battles.

I cant believe Im still getting beat by those random map hellions even when I lower to normal :( yet can beat boss fights on hard and intense :( I get to like a sliver of health left and then everyone is defeated.

Fairly sure higher difficulties make BG go up slower.

I like it, for it makes me pay more attention to items that give advantages to BG and also I use the blast to get the +50.

Otherwise, yeah sometimes youre just staring at the gauge as it is very slowly and noticeably taking its time to refill.

Almost done with the game on chaos.. this is even easier than normal mode wtf. The gear system just makes it too easy combined with chaos mode's better loot.

Bladelaw

If I liked Hearts R will I enjoy Zestiria? Planning on taking advantage of Best Buy's Buy 2 get 1 deal and was thinking this would be a good pickup for an effective ~$40.

Sorry another stupid technical question, are "weird" resolutions like 1360x768 supported? Usually I find that japanese developed games lack this particular resolution (that's currently mine unfortunately)

Okay shrine of fire has best theme in the whole game thus far. And wow battles there get so explosive at times.

Intense does feel intense since it keeps randomly spawning enemies in battle for some reason. Cheap.

Cornbread78

Okay shrine of fire has best theme in the whole game thus far. And wow battles there get so explosive at times.

Intense does feel intense since it keeps randomly spawning enemies in battle for some reason. Cheap.

Wind and water shrine music is better, so look forward to those.

--------------''!-----------

That part with Dezel was actually really done well and added a lot of depth to Rose's story.

BasicMath

I usually fill up my BG either by defending for 1.5 secs or evading attacks. I just tested those two (focusing more on BG gain through evasion) and it looks the same on Normal as it is on Chaos. Gear skills help out a lot so I think you may have swapped something there that increases BG recovery rates.

I think random hellions end up being tougher than bosses because of their quantity. There's a reason why one of the features of tougher difficulties is to add in more enemies to battles. Crowd control is actually very important when your other party members can't evade unless you specifically tell them to JUST defend. And even then it's bad.

Almost done with the game on chaos.. this is even easier than normal mode wtf. The gear system just makes it too easy combined with chaos mode's better loot.
I'm right before the final boss. Pretty sure I can
take down the first form but I fear I won't be ready for the damage requirements on the second form. Building up Lailah and Sorey with 20x 10% Fire Damage increase and that 20% chance of 8x Fire Damage ability isn't gonna help me there.
I don't want to farm gear. I really don't. Someone tell me it's not as bad as I think it is.

Bladenic

I usually fill up my BG either by defending for 1.5 secs or evading attacks. I just tested those two (focusing more on BG gain through evasion) and it looks the same on Normal as it is on Chaos. Gear skills help out a lot so I think you may have swapped something there that increases BG recovery rates.

I think random hellions end up being tougher than bosses because of their quantity. There's a reason why one of the features of tougher difficulties is to add in more enemies to battles. Crowd control is actually very important when your other party members can't evade unless you specifically tell them to JUST defend. And even then it's bad.

I'm right before the final boss. Pretty sure I can
take down the first form but I fear I won't be ready for the damage requirements on the second form. Building up Lailah and Sorey with 20x 10% Fire Damage increase and that 20% chance of 8x Fire Damage ability isn't gonna help me there.
I don't want to farm gear. I really don't. Someone tell me it's not as bad as I think it is.

I lost like 3-4 times, jut on Hard. I started reviving Rose (and the other seraph if applicable) when he charges to compensate.

I've been trying to get into this game for the past week and I can't play for more than an hour at a time because the beginning is soooooooo boring. Like wow, tease me that we have to explore the world, then keep me trapped in this crappy town for 5 hours. I've played Vesperia, Abyss, Graces f, Hearts and Xillia, and this one is so dull compared to all of those. Does the pacing pick up soon? I just "went to dinner" with the local government guys.

Vamphuntr

I've been trying to get into this game for the past week and I can't play for more than an hour at a time because the beginning is soooooooo boring. Like wow, tease me that we have to explore the world, then keep me trapped in this crappy town for 5 hours. I've played Vesperia, Abyss, Graces f, Hearts and Xillia, and this one is so dull compared to all of those. Does the pacing pick up soon? I just "went to dinner" with the local government guys.

The pacing gets better once you get all the seraphims as a bunch of fields and side quests open up.

The meadow and G.ruins has been my favorite places to farm gald and grade thus far in early game. Plus some items Im liking its a fast way to pass time waiting for orders to come in. Anyway, Ive been knocking out sidequests, playing on intense, boss fights on moderate (boss hellions on normal or simple) their resistances kill me (partys only around lvl 30) and I still struggle with casters, theres no way to keep five castors from casting, which on hard or even intense spells doom in <20seconds.

Top Bottom