• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suppose that SEGA were to release a brand new console, how powerful could it be and what would be its killer app and features?

I was watching some gameplay for House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn, an arcade game released by SEGA for their "ALLS" arcade cabinet a couple years ago, and understandably there were some comments by users hoping to see the game release for the PlayStation 4, PC etc. That said, I am a little curious about arcade cabinet technology and how much it differs from modern game consoles. I'm assuming they are more expensive and therefore have more powerful GPUs and faster CPUs at the time of their launch but maybe I'm wrong.

And suppose SEGA were to release a brand new console (not a Dreamcast 2 since so much time has passed), how powerful could it be and what features should it offer? Would a brand new SEGA console necessarily compete with Sony and Microsoft or do its own thing like Nintendo? Would Virtua Fighter 6 be considered a killer app?

Last edited:

Oddspeak

Despite Dreamcast being a pioneer with some features, I don't know what kind of new features a hypothetical new console could offer that other consoles don't that wouldn't risk being gimmicky. Some type of portability function might be necessary for it to stand a chance, especially in Sega's home country.

As for killer apps, Sega has a few. Yakuza is getting more popular with each game, then there's the entire SMT franchise (remember: Sega owns Atlus). Virtua Fighter 6 would be great, it's not necessarily a household name, but there's a lot of die-hards that would buy a console for it and constantly pump out content to get others to play. It could also be the game to turn into a graphical powerhouse and be used to wow people. A surprise Jet Set Radio game would be a pretty big bomb to drop, as it also has its own following that recently tried to campaign for a sequel.

BlackTron

It's depressing thinking about this, knowing it's impossible. All it would take to get me day one would be a Sonic game worthy of being a launch title, but I don't think even getting that ready is within their ability.

PhaseJump

Banned
Modern arcade platforms are usually old Intel PCs running Linux or Windows embedded.

Sega should probably just partner with Xbox to get their new arcade games on modified Series S boards. Use Azure.

sncvsrtoip

I think it's impossible now, too late. Also sega disappointing as a game developer (I like Yakuza and Judgment but they are not aaa titles that could rivial with best studios games) and why they kill virtua fighter series ? Other old fightning series still alive and are quite popular.

Last edited:
Powerstone collection, Virtua Fighter collection, HotD collection, Daytona collection, Sonic collection, Virtua Cop collection, Sega Rally collection, Fighting Vipers, all variations in 4K.

Last edited:
I think it's impossible now, too late. Also sega disappointing as a game developer (I like Yakuza and Judgment but they are not aaa titles that could rivial with best studios games) and why they kill virtua fighter series ? Other old fightning series still alive and are quite popular.
Yeah, I'm surprised SEGA hasn't brought back Virtua Fighter yet. Maybe they will do so on the PS5 and Series X but it's been at least 8 to 10 years since Final Showdown.

lachesis

All Atlus games, including Megami Tensei series, Persona series to go exclusive.
Skies of Arcadia expanded total remake + sequels
Panzer Dragoon Saga expanded total remake + sequels.

Sintoid

The only little hope for a new Sega Hardware I think it's not on pushing on specs but on quality of features. Great environment for online gaming, perfect stick or pad for arcade games... Such a platform with a couple of good launch titles (VF6, Daytona...) would have my complete interest

They couldn't and shouldn't compete with Sony and MS in the hypothetical scenario of releasing new home console hardware. Compelling IP they have plenty, and quality wise they're not too bad right now as well. I'd see them focussing on arcade like experiences to differentiate themselves from competitors, and maybe doubling down on the hardcore physical-only, maybe collector crowd. Advertise your box as having no DLC, MTX or day-one patches. Choose cartidge-like format instead of discs, make the physical versions of games highly collectable. No need for cutting edge graphics, 1080/60 is enough. Just be different than the competition, but in a good way.

Kokoloko85

Sega catalgue of all there old games. Arcade, Master System, Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast games. Upgdate resoulution: widescreen etc.

Being able to Play online Couch coop and vs with all those old games

New games
Jet Set Radio 3
Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
Shen Mue 4
Shining Force 4
Virtua Fighter 6
Sonic / Shinobi, Streets of Rage
Phantasy Star offline

Last edited:
Despite Dreamcast being a pioneer with some features, I don't know what kind of new features a hypothetical new console could offer that other consoles don't that wouldn't risk being gimmicky. Some type of portability function might be necessary for it to stand a chance, especially in Sega's home country.

As for killer apps, Sega has a few. Yakuza is getting more popular with each game, then there's the entire SMT franchise (remember: Sega owns Atlus). Virtua Fighter 6 would be great, it's not necessarily a household name, but there's a lot of die-hards that would buy a console for it and constantly pump out content to get others to play. It could also be the game to turn into a graphical powerhouse and be used to wow people. A surprise Jet Set Radio game would be a pretty big bomb to drop, as it also has its own following that recently tried to campaign for a sequel.
Portability a la' the Nintendo Switch would be an interesting direction.

They couldn't and shouldn't compete with Sony and MS in the hypothetical scenario of releasing new home console hardware. Compelling IP they have plenty, and quality wise they're not too bad right now as well. I'd see them focussing on arcade like experiences to differentiate themselves from competitors, and maybe doubling down on the hardcore physical-only, maybe collector crowd. Advertise your box as having no DLC, MTX or day-one patches. Choose cartridge-like format instead of discs, make the physical versions of games highly collectable. No need for cutting edge graphics, 1080/60 is enough. Just be different than the competition, but in a good way.
Cartridges or game cards would also be interesting as it's something Nintendo has continued using from the DS to the 3DS and Switch. It's probably cheaper and the storage capacity is only ever going to continue increasing. And I agree, I would be fine with 1080p at 60fps, especially if every game was running at such a smooth framerate. This would be ideal for arcade-like games.

jigglet

Banned
It doesn't matter how powerful it would be, cause fans would secret-sauce it to high noon. It would have the potential to be better than 7x rtx3090's. And if you don't agree it's cause you're a fucking xbox / ps fanboy and can't see the truth.

TLZ

Banned
Work with Nvidia on the 3070 to negotiate a good price and have 20tf of Super Sega Power!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Arcade hardware these days is just off-the-shelf PC, usually very modest specs.

A Sega console would be just like every other console, a PC-derived APU with some custom parts here and there.
Sad but true. Hardware is all pretty homogenized now. The days of consoles with unique archietcures and different strengths and weaknesses are long gone.

I love Sega but all I want from them is to go back to taking chances and churning out weird risky new IPs with reckless abandon.

What's with the obsession with Sega consoles? SEGA got into the console business because in the 80s they had a wide variety of arcade games that they could port to homes with consoles without much effort and without Nintendo or Atari taking a cut, same thing with the 90's, the Genesis was a fluke that owed it success to the clever marketing of Sega's American branch, something the Japanese geezers didn't get.

Bottom line is SEGA post 2000 isn't SEGA pre 2000, there’s no point in making hardware when you can become a giant with 1 game.

Last edited:
What's with the obsession with Sega consoles? SEGA got into the console business because in the 80s they had a wide variety of arcade games that they could port to homes with consoles without much effort and without Nintendo or Atari taking a cut, same thing with the 90's, the Genesis was a fluke that owed it success to the clever marketing of Sega's American branch, something the Japanese geezers didn't get.

Bottom line is SEGA post 2000 isn't SEGA pre 2000, there’s no point in making hardware when you can become a giant with 1 game.
What's with people coming into the thread and attempting to shut down the discussion because they don't like talking about SEGA consoles? It's like you ignored the first part of my initial post where I mentioned a new SEGA arcade game and the arcade cabinet it was running on. I am not obsessed with seeing a new SEGA console. It is just a hypothetical question and trying to understand a little more about arcade cabinet technology.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sega Saturn 2/Dreamcast 2 would be rad. 6 face button dual analog controller, the usual online functionality, a virtual console with their complete first party console catalogue up to the 2000s available (they could also add their xbox/ps2 games to that), etc. That alone would be an instant buy.

They should also bring back genres like lightgun shooters and arcade racers with old and new games and peripherals for them and continue efforts like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Phantasy Star, Sakura Wars, Dragon Force and Shining Force to have a complete diverse first party lineup to rival big N.

Wouldn't mind if it was a hybrid portable like Switch but I think the 6 face buttons would be hard to fit on that, unless one side had a longer "frame", maybe add a touchpad over them in that area for mouse control games and/or maybe have 3 sets of shoulder buttons in portable form instead, Idk.
OiNv8E3.png

The logo could be a refined Sega Saturn logo with the S flipped so it's 2. They'd continue all the serious/immersing/longform RPG/sandbox/open world/adventure games and arcade stuff with all kinds of peripherals like fishing rods, lightguns, wheels, dual sticks, flight sticks, mice, all the goods.

They'd have to partner SNK, Capcom, Namco and all the other companies that brought great stuff to their past platforms to add them to the virtual console too, as well as provide a timed (or fully, if it's a dead IP SEGA would bankroll its return) exclusive sequel for some of them to seal the deal.

Last edited:
The only way that Sega could pull off an amazing console would be a partnership with Nvidia. If Nvidia was just looking to give the finger to AMD, Sony and Microsoft they could sell them RTX cards near cost.

Griffon

For a home console, I don't think it would work.

But if Sega were to make a portable VR headset, I would love it.

Last edited:

dalekjay

Sega would ship by surprise without announcing, and hit the market tomorrow at 599 price and more or 30% weaker than the other two consoles without ray tracing, then it would release a add-on raytracer hardware and as it comes with out a disk a add on disk player as well
They also would release up to 5 games that would be really be in the heart of people so the fans can annoy us next generation with port begging

Virtua Fighter will never be a killer app. The series has always been less flashy and more complicated than Tekken. It has no competitive scene worth speaking of and hasn't seen a new numbered entry in 10 years, so a lot of younger players have probably never played or even heard of it. If, on top of that, you made a new entry exclusive to a new console, you'd basically be limiting your audience to a handful of nostalgic boomers.

PhaseJump

Banned
Virtua Fighter will never be a killer app. The series has always been less flashy and more complicated than Tekken. It has no competitive scene worth speaking of and hasn't seen a new numbered entry in 10 years, so a lot of younger players have probably never played or even heard of it. If, on top of that, you made a new entry exclusive to a new console, you'd basically be limiting your audience to a handful of nostalgic boomers.

You lost the whole argument with "nostalgic boomers."

pullcounter

I don't know if they could compete with MS and Sony on the home console front, might be better off coming up with some sort of handheld that takes everything good about the switch/Wii U and improve on the graphics and other stuff, assuming there aren't a shitload of copyright issues

Orta

Banned
Mark my words, the Dreamcast 2 when it arrives will be more powerful than God's erection with a graphical performance on par with an nVidia 5080ti sli setup. Its killer app launch title will be Sega Megadrive Classic Collection mastered in 32k. It will cost no more than $200 and consist of an eventual software library that puts its rivals to eternal shame such is its quality.

And then Sega will pull a Sega and it'll be dead within 18 months. They'll probably launch a vr headset that takes reality to new levels whereby if you die in a game you die in real life with the headset releasing 1000v of electricity directly into your brains as punishment for your on screen failure.

It would be EPIC.

Last edited:
I'm just going by track record here...so:

It would be marginally more powerful than the mid-gen refreshes from Sony and Microsoft.
Their Killer App would be a Sonic game not available anywhere else, and not demanded anywhere, period.

They would launch this system right before the PS5 with no marketing or fanfare, so noone would even know about it except the diehard sega fanboys.

Seriously though, SEGA should focus on its software.
They have a lot to offer on that front.

We, as in the western market, just got into Yakuza, we still love Sonic, as long as it's not made by Sonic Team (Sonic Mania 2, when?), and I'd throw my Euros at it if Phantasy Star Online 2 were available on anything that I could play it on.

I went through the hassle of getting my fucking GameCube online back in the day, but I'm not buying an Xbox or an even more expensive PC tp play that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Considering Sega owns Atlus that would mean Japan would jump ship. They have more exclusive IPs than Sony.

Last edited by a moderator:

cireza

It would be the Dreamcast again, the same as the old one, and its killer games would be all the games that were meant to release on the console, and new ones following the long tradition of awesome SEGA games, such as Burning Rangers 2 or Shining Force IV.

Last edited:
I was watching some gameplay for House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn, an arcade game released by SEGA for their "ALLS" arcade cabinet a couple years ago, and understandably there were some comments by users hoping to see the game release for the PlayStation 4, PC etc. That said, I am a little curious about arcade cabinet technology and how much it differs from modern game consoles. I'm assuming they are more expensive and therefore have more powerful GPUs and faster CPUs at the time of their launch but maybe I'm wrong.

And suppose SEGA were to release a brand new console (not a Dreamcast 2 since so much time has passed), how powerful could it be and what features should it offer? Would a brand new SEGA console necessarily compete with Sony and Microsoft or do its own thing like Nintendo? Would Virtua Fighter 6 be considered a killer app?
The OP is getting it all wrong.
It doesn't matter how powerful a Sega console is, what matters is how good are the damn games.

Now, if SEGA decided to make all their own studios exclusively make games for their console, i can see them carving out a niche much like how Switch did. And it would certainly take a slice of the pie away from Xbox, who would have even less space for itself. However i don't see it being sustainable unless Xbox console exit quickly and leave more space for SEGA to breath.

There is really no room for SEGA unless somebody quits. And it wouldn't be Sony.

Top Bottom