• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Stardust Portable (PSP classic for PS4/PS5) is now further enhanced with support for the right analog stick

Agent X

Super Stardust Portable, a classic PSP game that was released on PS4 and PS5 a few months ago, has just added support for the right analog stick as an in-game control.

The original version of the game on PSP was adapted from Super Stardust HD on PS3, which was a twin-stick shooter that placed movement controls on the left analog stick, and firing controls on the right analog stick. The PSP only had a single analog control on the left side, so while the game retained its analog movement, the firing controls were modified to utilize the face buttons instead.

When Super Stardust Portable was brought to PS4 and PS5, it featured some enhancements such as graphical upscaling and trophies, but the controls remained the same. That is, until today, when a patch enabled the right analog stick to be utilized for firing. (You can also continue to use the face buttons for firing, just as in the original PSP release.)

I've noticed that the right stick actually mimics the functions of the face buttons, so you don't get true analog firing like other games in the Super Stardust series on PS3, PS4, and PS Vita. Despite this, I feel it's a worthwhile addition to the game. The added use of the right analog stick is handy and convenient. Players who are accustomed to twin-stick controls for the Super Stardust series and other similar games can quickly jump into this game and get comfortable with a familiar control scheme.

CamHostage

Huh, didn't know that it got brought back for consoles on PSN.

Super Stardust Portable might be my personal fave of the series (it's for sure the version I played the most) even though it's short and limited in features. Second-stick control could help even if it's not true analog, but I never had a problem with the button-based aiming (especially as an addict of Smash TV SNES back in the day.) Also, SSD Portable had a feathering system where your shot spray would wiggle a bit when you tapped the buttons, and I don't see how that would make sense with a stick. Fun series though, and it's a shame that none of these console makers are producing these small-scale downloadable games too often anymore.

Agent X

I have never played the portable version, but Super Stardust HD and Super Stardust Ultra are masterpieces, some of the best games ever made.

I agree with this.. They're outstanding games that proudly carry the torch of quick-fix arcade-style action, and are highly playable to this day.

Housemarque also produced Super Stardust Delta for the PS Vita, which was also extremely well done, and included some cool exclusive mini-games that utilized some of the system's notable features.

Huh, didn't know that it got brought back for consoles on PSN.

Yes, Sony brought it back several months ago, when they decided to start re-releasing downloadable PS1 and PSP games on PS4/PS5.

Even better yet, Sony honors cross-buy for this game if you previously purchased it for PSP. This means if you own the PSP version, well, congratulations, you're eligible to download it to your PS4 or PS5 for the low, low price of free!

Super Stardust Portable might be my personal fave of the series (it's for sure the version I played the most) even though it's short and limited in features. Second-stick control could help even if it's not true analog, but I never had a problem with the button-based aiming (especially as an addict of Smash TV SNES back in the day.) Also, SSD Portable had a feathering system where your shot spray would wiggle a bit when you tapped the buttons, and I don't see how that would make sense with a stick.

I was also able to quickly adapt to the button-based controls, due to my experience with several home versions of Robotron: 2084, Smash TV, and other games of that type.

The feathering system is still present here. If you're using the right analog stick to fire, then a few taps in the same direction will give you the same "wiggle" effect.

Fun series though, and it's a shame that none of these console makers are producing these small-scale downloadable games too often anymore.

I agree. I enjoyed so many of the small downloadable games from that era. Sadly, they greatly scaled back on this concept around 2016 or 2017. I suppose the console makers feel that there are enough small independent developers out there that could satisfy that niche, but I still believe there's a place for some quality first-party downloadables. I'd love to see Housemarque and some of the other smaller first-party studios tackle such projects. They would make great appetizers to fill out the release schedule in between the big-budget blockbusters.

Top Bottom