• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate version 4.0.0 update, DLC character Hero from the Dragon Quest series launch today

Mista

Banned

The version 4.0.0 update for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and “Challenger Pack 2” add-on, which includes Hero from the Dragon Quest series as a playable character and can be purchased individually or with the “Fighters Pass,” will launch later today, Nintendo announced.

Here are the latest details, via Nintendo:
In a new video, Nintendo not only showcased the Hero in action, but also unveiled the Yggdrasil’s Altar stage and several orchestrated music tracks from classic Dragon Quest games coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. All of this new content will be available to players who own the Fighters Pass or purchase Challenger Pack 2 separately.

“With the introduction of fan-favorite characters like Hero from the Dragon Questseries to the game’s expanding roster, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate continues to assemble the largest cast of iconic video game characters ever,” said Nick Chavez, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “We love being able to engage Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fans through a steady release of exciting downloadable content, and look forward to continuing to expand on players’ game experiences on Nintendo Switch beyond launch.”

Hero enters the arena equipped with a sword and shield, and wielding familiar Dragon Quest spells like “Frizz,” “Zap” and “Woosh.” The character comes with additional alternate character designs that represent the main characters from several games in the Dragon Quest series. He can take the form of the protagonists from Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition, the latest Dragon Quest title coming to Nintendo Switch on Sept. 27; Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation; Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen; and Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. This is the first time ever that all four heroes from these Dragon Quest games are fighting together.

Players who own the Fighters Pass or purchase Challenger Pack 2 separately will also have access to a new stage, Yggdrasil’s Altar, which features the great mythical tree from many Dragon Quest games. The stage is full of moving platforms, which fly through different locales that Dragon Quest fans might recognize, and even features some familiar (slimy) faces in the background. Orchestrated music tracks from classic Dragon Quest titles will also be coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimatealongside Hero and the Yggdrasil’s Altar stage.

Along with the release of Hero later today, a free software update to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will also be available, which adds an in-game online tourney mode, a “Very Easy” setting in the single-player Adventure mode and the ability to predict the winner in Spectate mode, among other features.

By purchasing the Fighters Pass, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate players will get access to five Challenger Packs as they release. Each pack includes a new playable fighter, a new stage and music tracks. Joker from Persona 5 is available now, with Hero joining today and iconic characters Banjo & Kazooie coming this fall. Two additional characters, who have not yet been revealed, are also part of the robust Fighters Pass.
Gematsu

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I like how different he can be with all his spells. The random 4 appearing is a nice touch, though I’m sure once you get somebody recovering from off stage people will just run into the corner and spam the spell list until they get what will be the meta ultimate 4 spells.

4.0 is a joke though other then character and stage. We have waited since the last disappointing update for something better and got even less.

iconmaster

Banned

• In an effort to prevent a languorous waiting game, powerful Final Smash moves will now be tied to a time-limited meter that appears below your character's name.
  • A new, 'Very Easy' Adventure Mode difficulty is being added to help players who are having problems (or those that simply want a more relaxing Smash experience).
  • A new Spectate Mode feature will enable you to predict the outcome of bouts. Choosing correctly will win you points which you can then exchange for an item. Handy! There's nothing to lose if you choose poorly, so this seems like a win-win.
  • A new Online Tourney mode is being added. You enter by simply selecting the option from the menu (obviously, this requires a Nintendo Switch Online subscription) and you'll enter a huge bracket-based brawl. Rules are preset but they'll change periodically. Special Event Tourneys will be hosted 'from time to time', too.
  • In the video editing mode, you can now insert screenshots into your videos and play videos consecutively.
Spectator mode sounds neat, especially with the betting. And special-event tourneys seems smart, kind of like a Splatfest for Smash.

Shaqazooloo

Just gotta say The Hero looks broken, he has so much RNG and I think he'll get banned eventually. Looks like he could rival Brawl Meta Knight in terms of how boken he is.

Just early impressions before he is released, i'll be happy to be wrong...

iconmaster

Banned
Sorry Mista Mista . I've reported myself.

Watching the video, it's great how excited Sakurai gets about these third-party inclusions. He loves the games he's getting to represent in Smash.

Shaqazooloo

My post from the other thread:

Just gotta say The Hero looks broken, he has so much RNG and I think he'll get banned eventually. Looks like he could rival Brawl Meta Knight in terms of how boken he is.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

DAMN NICE haha broko for life

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
so he is here to stay ?
nice !
can't wait to try him
i love dragon quest

Shaqazooloo

Because of the random critical? Mr. Game and Watch has that, and it hasn't resulted in a ban.
He can also crit and do massive damage, literally recovery from anywhere without risk of being hit, put characters to sleep, put on a reflector that stays on him for a significant amount of time, he has a move that can take up the entire stage, his projectiles are really good and he has massive range and status effects that he can inflict.

On top all this he encourages people to counter with himself due to fact that he has a counter for a move that renders him impervious to any attacks

I don't know, he seems really broken and toxic, again I'd like to be wrong.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Hero was handled way better than Joker. Hopefully, the last 2 characters get the same treatment. Stage kind of sucks though.

iconmaster

Banned
He can also crit and do massive damage, literally recovery from anywhere without risk of being hit, put characters to sleep, put on a reflector that stays on him for a significant amount of time, he has a move that can take up the entire stage, his projectiles are really good and he has massive range and status effects that he can inflict.

On top all this he encourages people to counter with himself due to fact that he has a counter for a move that renders him impervious.

I don't know, he seems really broken and toxic, again I'd like to be wrong.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. There's a lot of incredible stuff in there. It'll come down to how much MP the character reasonably has to work with in a round. For example, if you can get a Hero player to use up his MP and then go for the KO, will his recovery be completely useless?

The MP meter provides an easy way for Nintendo to nerf him, too -- just slow the MP recovery.

Edit: If that's really Sakurai playing, watch him pull off an off-stage spike at 12:33.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I guess I should go ahead and buy that fighter's pass. I haven't played Smash for awhile. But I'm feeling that itch again. :pie_thinking:

Codes 208

I was hoping for a more official release date for banjo but whatever, i can wait.

Unfortunately i dont care for DQ hero because smash is already littered with sword fighters. (Though his spells system may make him more versatile ala shulk/robin)

Last edited:
Top Bottom