• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Seducer no longer releasing on PS4, possibly due to pressure from Vice Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game was slated for release yesterday on both Steam and PS4. It released on Steam without issue but the PS4 release was mysteriously absent, until Vice Motherboard went on a victory parade while further admonishing Valve for not responding to their "requests for comment".
Someone on Reddit laid out the full sequence of events better than I could ever do, so I'm going to link and quote it here.
On Feb 28, 2018 Motherboard published this article by Samantha Cole, entitled

Putting This PUA Game On PlayStation and Steam Normalizes Stalker Behavior

Which contained gems such as this:
Steam and PlayStation are set to launch a game that encourages preying on women as, well, a game.​
In Super Seducer, you play as Richard La Ruina, "renowned seduction guru" and influential figure in the “pick-up artist” community. Pick-up artist, or PUA, culture promises men luck in love—or at least in getting laid—if they only prescribe to a set of behaviors and scripted moves that treat women (yes, it’s incredibly heteronormative) as predictable, manipulatable objects for men to acquire.​
The purpose of the game, the Steam description states, is to test out pick-up tactics on virtual women: “Here’s the bottom line: if you make the right choices in the game, you’ll make the right choices in your life.” It directly intends to train men to behave in the ways this game rewards: Objectifying, harassing, coercing, and ignoring nonverbal cues from women.​
This game is set to release on Steam on March 6, with a PlayStation release on the same day, according to La Ruina. PlayStation did not respond to a request for comment.
“When we give mainstream access to sexism, we allow it to proliferate and grow,” Emily May, co-founder and executive director of an anti-harassment nonprofit, Hollaback!, told me in an email. “We need to hide this game under a rock and starve it—and the whole PUA culture—of light and oxygen until it dies. PUA culture is what society tells men to be, and it starves men of options and different ways of being in the world.”​
and this
The most concerning aspect of any of these scenarios—and what makes this game’s availability on mainstream gaming marketplaces like Steam and PlayStation—is that they’re not that outlandish for women who are the targets of this behavior. Many, many women experience any or all of these situations on a daily basis, where a man approaches them and there’s no way out but to placate him or continue an unwanted interaction.​
PUA culture thrives on platforms like Reddit and 4chan, where they’re able to trade strategies for stalking and harrassing women under the guise of being good guys. But making a game based on these behaviors available to the mainstream is another level of normalizing rape culture.​
“Gender-based violence is on a spectrum—and it starts with games like this,” May said. “These games create a culture where violence against women is OK, and in turn, it becomes more OK, and the world becomes less safe for everyone.”​
Valve and Sony did not respond to a request for comment.
Note the highlighted lines. This appears to be a clear attempt by an activist journalist and left-wing activists Hollaback! to paint an alarmist Narrative, framing the game as being immoral and of causing societal harm, followed by an attempt to apply pressure to its sales platforms ahead of negative publicity.

Now today, I see this followup on Motherboard, also by Samantha Cole:

https://archive.fo/RzmcU

PlayStation Won’t Publish ‘Super Seducer’ Pick-Up Artist Game After All

Super Seducer, a choose your own adventure game that teaches men how to harass women using pick-up artist tactics, was set to be released on PlayStation 4 today.​
However, PlayStation has confirmed to Motherboard that the platform will not sell the game in its store after all.​
“My comment is that I have no comment on this,” Richard La Ruina, the game’s creator and "renowned seduction guru" told me in an email.​
So yeah, looks like Sony caved.

Edit:

It should also be noted that the game has been rated 16+ by PEGI and hasn't to my knowledge been banned by any governmental groups due to concerns over its content.

http://www.pegi.info/en/index/globa...forms=&countries=&submit=Search#searchresults

Edit 2:

Motherboard tweeted this out along with a gif of Homer Simpson playing the trombone, which says it all about how much they give a damn.

https://archive.fo/eeBi3

Motherboard managing editor, Emanuel Maiberg

https://archive.fo/FdjNs

Something tells me this game is not going to actually be published on the PlayStation Store​
Steam might ban it eventually if people get mad enough but they won't talk about it because that's how they roll​
wow I can see the future:​
the game is obviously live on Steam because Valve doesn't care. Lets check in with the community discussion​
Edit 3:

Maiberg himsef tried a similar thing earlier in February too. Didn't work - so they amped up the rhetoric?

New 'Pick-Up Artist' Video Game Teaches Men How to Be Creeps

https://archive.fo/kHtFD

Criticism of PUA philosophy became a subject of national discussion in 2014, when a 22-year-old man named Elliot Rodger shot six people to death near the University of California, Santa Barbara. Rodger was a frequent poster to PUAHate, a site for men who bought into the PUA worldview, realized it was a scam, but still viewed women as objects that they were owed.​
"He was speaking the lingo of the 'pick-up artist' (PUA) community that feminists have been raising alarms about for many years now, arguing that it’s a breeding ground for misogynist resentment and may even be encouraging violence against women," Amanda Marcotte wrote for The American Prospect at the time.​
"When desperate men who shell out cash thinking it will buy them Game fail, they lash out online," Petula Dvorak wrote for The Washington Post at the time. "Not at the men who try to sell them Game, but at the women who didn’t buy the act."​
You didn't outright say that this game might cause another mass shooting, but I know exactly what you were doing there, Emanuel - and you know exactly what you were doing there.

Another request for comment from the sales platforms

I've reached out to Steam and Sony and will update this post if I hear back. La Ruina told me in an email that Super Seducer will release on the PlayStation 4 on March 6 as well, but I couldn't find an active page for it on the PlayStation store.​

I'll leave you all to extrapolate what you will from this sequence of events. Personally, I don't give a shit about this game, but this paints a scary and disappointing future for gaming - all it takes is a few emails from a 'gaming' website to censor or outright prevent a game release ON LAUNCH DAY.

Last edited:

Dunki

This game is really harmless and it has funny shit in it. The guy even tells people not to be assholes over and over again. Only acting after given consent etc. The hate chardade on the guy and this game is feminist ridiculous IMO. I had 3-4 hours fun and if you have 10 euro go for it its great to laugh.

Also it never normalizes Stalking behaviour. There is one option in there to stalk a women but it is also a wrong one and he tells you clearly afterwards that you should never follow a women/girl and that stalking is disgusting and criminal.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is a disappointing turn of events. Was hoping to have some drunken fun with friends, but now that will be put on hold. Guess this is what happens when you cave to pressure from a site known for less than stellar journalistic standards.

Last edited:

Petrae

Funny how censorship doesn’t come from the government, but gaming press instead. Good thing they know what’s best for us. I mean, we’re barely intelligent enough to breathe on our own, let alone make an educated game-buying decision.

Thanks, Vice, for saving us from ourselves.

Dunki

One more thing. Many women have streamed this game already on twitch and it is always a blast and they have really fun playing this as well.

NickFire

How many more of these kind of stories are needed before its the people claiming there is no left wing agenda pushing / attempts to censor games by the media, who need to provide proof of their claims?

DryvBy

How is this game different that the pigeon dating and hunk daddy simulator? Because it involves women? I saw women streaming this and having fun with it which is all I've seen about the game until now.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How is this game different that the pigeon dating and hunk daddy simulator? Because it involves women? I saw women streaming this and having fun with it which is all I've seen about the game until now.

Depends on who you talk to. For those who are looking to be offended, it promotes creepy stalkers and harassment of women - because anyone who plays the game is inherently dumb and can't think for themselves. For those who think it is dumb, they will either think it is just dumb and unfunny or hilariously over the top idiotic.

Dunki

Depends on who you talk to. For those who are looking to be offended, it promotes creepy stalkers and harassment of women - because anyone who plays the game is inherently dumb and can't think for themselves. For those who think it is dumb, they will either think it is just dumb and unfunny or hilariously over the top idiotic.
It never promotes Stalking not once. It even said that it is disgusting and you should never do it.

Dubloon7

Banned
seriously no loss. i wouldn't waste my time and money on it, and even it were PS+ IGC it would not be added to my list.

daibaron

Banned
Some people can't manage to get laid and also don't let others get laid. Even if it is getting laid in a videogame.

If it was the same game but with homossexual characters only, it would be praised to the heavens!

Blam

Wow nice one Vice you're now gonna harass people to get your way. 100% Good Ethics.

There goes me ever recommending you guys again, and telling my friends not to bother even checking your site.

Last edited:

Petrae

seriously no loss. i wouldn't waste my time and money on it, and even it were PS+ IGC it would not be added to my list.

As for other people who might have had interest in it, or even morbid curiosity? The decision has already been made for them, without their own input.

It’s fine to ignore a game that’s been released because you don’t like it. It’s another to never allow people to make their own choices because someone else apparently knows what’s best for them.

People are worried about what Trump might do with violent video games, but they haven’t a care in the world that the press which covers those games has the power to push companies into not selling them at all. How do we know what the next target may be? Maybe it’s just too violent for one outlet, and they go on a crusade like this one to keep it from being sold.

Blam

If the people at Vice seriously expect people to use the tactics in a game like super seducer in real life. This is the worst of their problems. ffs this is exactly like CNN saying that shooting games are going to cause people to turn into serial killers.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
From the videos I saw the game seemed pretty harmless. Some of the options were absurd, but then they always ended up being the ones the guy recommended not doing.

NickFire

Seems short sighted to only look at the loss as being a single game. What about other devs who may pull the plug or stifle their artistic visions to avoid spending money on development, because they fear they will never see a proper release when the mobs get riled up?

RVIDXR

I never knew about this game until 20 mins ago. I would have played this for like a day to laugh my ass off but I see the choice was made for me. I'm tired of being tired of any media thinking that they can make decisions for people. Middle fingers up to Vice and their bs.

gioGAF

How is this not censorship? The game is harmless, let the market speak for itself. I don't need the "higher-ups" at Sony to make the decision for me, I don't need some random radical group to make the decision for me. How is what is happening here even considered okay in our society? smh

WaterAstro

Holy shit, is this the work of an SJW? They actually got a game cancelled.

This is really getting too far because Super Seducer is fantastic. I just played it when it came out, and it's just funny shit along with some actual useful tips. Most of the advice is actually teaching men how to be gentlemen while the stalker options are negative.

NickFire

How is this not censorship? The game is harmless, let the market speak for itself. I don't need the "higher-ups" at Sony to make the decision for me, I don't need some random radical group to make the decision for me. How is what is happening here even considered okay in our society? smh
Possibly in before someone claims only the government can censor someone, as if the government was not just one of many ways a collection of people can stifle free speech.

TrainedRage

Banned
So we are fine with Rainbow 6 censoring people, but a publisher decides not to put the game on a platform and its a shitstorm. I don't get the disconnect.

A.Romero

Well, I think a lot of people saw this coming.

The most stupid part is that they get offended by something idiotic as PUA but they wouldn't say anything about so many ethically dubious topics that video games cover. Not that I agree that any game at all should be censored but if anything was to be censored, I'd definitely chose something else like GTA or some Spec Ops or whatever.

Don't you think that some publications criticized the movie Hitch when it came out? I'm pretty sure they did. The difference is that distributors didn't give a fuck because they knew there was a market. Problem with games is that publishers are so afraid of social media backlash that they make the dumbest decisions just to be safe.

I hope the game industry wakes up and starts having some balls. Games have grown a lot as a medium in the last 5 decades, it's a legitimate industry. Shit like this it look fragile and infantile.

I had 0 interest in this game before and now I will pick it up on Steam just to support the developer. I'm thinking about writing an E-Mail to Sony too (not like they'll give a shit).

WaterAstro

Well, I think a lot of people saw this coming.

The most stupid part is that they get offended by something idiotic as PUA but they wouldn't say anything about so many ethically dubious topics that video games cover. Not that I agree that any game at all should be censored but if anything was to be censored, I'd definitely chose something else like GTA or some Spec Ops or whatever.

Don't you think that some publications criticized the movie Hitch when it came out? I'm pretty sure they did. The difference is that distributors didn't give a fuck because they knew there was a market. Problem with games is that publishers are so afraid of social media backlash that they make the dumbest decisions just to be safe.

I hope the game industry wakes up and starts having some balls. Games have grown a lot as a medium in the last 5 decades, it's a legitimate industry. Shit like this it look fragile and infantile.

I had 0 interest in this game before and now I will pick it up on Steam just to support the developer. I'm thinking about writing an E-Mail to Sony too (not like they'll give a shit).
I think it had some balls, but it's going to be regressing because of the SJW culture. I can't wait to see GTA6 being pulled off the shelf because of a similarly paparazzi mission that will be deemed as stalking. They should just pull GTA5 off the shelves right now and get it over with. Flip this industry upside down so actual consumers will protest against this shit.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony it just thinking about the children. Gotta defend them.

Always funny to see someone using a platform denouncing something because it’s not available on their platform.

DryvBy

December 9, 1993, a bunch of old people called politicians gathered together to criticize a game they never played. They said the game had you rape and murder women. The game? Night Trap.

March 6, 2018, a bunch of middle aged people called game journalists gathered on the internet to criticize a game they never played. They said the game had you harass women. The game? Super Seducer.

makaveli60

check yourself
What's the problem with what the poster said? Daibaron is absolutely right.

I can't believe what is going on in the world... But on the other hand I know it, but it's not the place to talk about such things, so whatever...

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
So we are fine with Rainbow 6 censoring people, but a publisher decides not to put the game on a platform and its a shitstorm. I don't get the disconnect.
I assume you're referring to the ban on slurs and the like in Seige? Honestly, R6 isn't a platform for free speech and Ubi are allowed to police it however they like whether people like that or not. Add to that the fact that players should be allowed to play a game online and not be called a f***t or a n****r and the case for Ubi's policing is pretty strong.

However here we have a gaming site seemingly pressuring a company to not release a game on their platform. This censorship could actually lead to lost revenue for the guys who made this game and it's pretty much for nothing. You could say that no one has a right to have their feelings protected in R6 but that isn't quite true considering that there are people who paid for the game and don't want to hear crap like that and clearly UBI doesn't what that going on either. Not playing the game just because of that element, one which can actually be controlled, would suck. Here we have the feelings of people who have no interest in a game, literally stopping people who wanted to buy this. Whilst for those that didn't, knowing full well what the full product is about, could have had the clear choice to just not put their cash down for it.

To put it simply:

R6 is like a baker refusing to serve customers who enter his shop stark bollock naked.

Super Seducer's censorship is like a guy down the road who hates cakes calling the bakers landlord to get him kicked out due to hatred of cakes.

Last edited:

nightfly

Of course, everyone on the other forum are jumping for joy about i. Sad, I have been playing it and it's really funny and hardly a "stalking sim".

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/5/17062064/super-seducer-game-me-too

In a typical scene from the game Super Seducer, the player — presumably a straight man cruising for sex — encounters two women sitting on a blue velvet couch, catching up over a glass of wine. Your goal is to find the best way to infiltrate their conversation. If you try to leave them alone to enjoy their evening, the game chastises you until you successfully breach their bubble. When one of the women, a blonde with perfectly curled hair and a sapphire dress, informs you that she has a boyfriend, you aren’t deterred. You can’t be, since the entire point of the game is to seduce every woman you meet, regardless of her comfort level. You press forward.
Ughh...Just amazes me how absurd people get over the dumbest things.

Dunki

Of course, everyone on the other forum are jumping for joy about i. Sad, I have been playing it and it's really funny and hardly a "stalking sim".

I love how they argue with "ask yourself what women think about the game " If i had a account I would link them two like 50 stream vods on twitch of women fucking enjoying this game xd

Paracelsus

Why is a women reviewing a game that's targeted strictly for men? Wut...

Because straight male pandering abolition was always implicit part of the crusade, even though they claimed no. Their complaint is basically "men shouldn't have a fantasy simulator where you input the right answer and get to bang digital chicks". Japan has made a living off such a thing for decades, both sfw and nsfw. Some things can be done out of respect for women, others as a "Fuck You" to males. In regards of videogame censorship and sexism, it's often the latter disguised as the former.

TrainedRage

Banned
I assume you're referring to the ban on slurs and the like in Seige? Honestly, R6 isn't a platform for free speech and Ubi are allowed to police it however they like whether people like that or not. Add to that the fact that players should be allowed to play a game online and not be called a f***t or a n****r and the case for Ubi's policing is pretty strong.

However here we have a gaming site seemingly pressuring a company to not release a game on their platform. This censorship could actually lead to lost revenue for the guys who made this game and it's pretty much for nothing. You could say that no one has a right to have their feelings protected in R6 but that isn't quite true considering that there are people who paid for the game and don't want to hear crap like that and clearly UBI doesn't what that going on either. Not playing the game just because of that element, one which can actually be controlled, would suck. Here we have the feelings of people who have no interest in a game, literally stopping people who wanted to buy this. Whilst for those that didn't, knowing full well what the full product is about, could have had the clear choice to just not put their cash down for it.

To put it simply:

R6 is like a baker refusing to serve customers who enter his shop stark bollock naked.

Super Seducer's censorship is like a guy down the road who hates cakes calling the bakers landlord to get him kicked out due to hatred of cakes.
Lol good point. I just find it weird that it's so similar but is getting a totally different reaction. To me they both revolve around outcry/censorship of games and gamers.

Dunki

Also on this scene. They openly talking about finding a date for her shy friend. How they read into women want to be left alone is fucking ridiculous. It is like they only watched a picture of the scene instead of playing it^^

KevinKeene

Banned
I love how they argue with "ask yourself what women think about the game " If i had a account I would link them two like 50 stream vods on twitch of women fucking enjoying this game xd

It doesn't matter what women think about this game. What matter is that its audience has fun and that it sells. Nothing else matters.

A.Romero

I'd respect Sony if they decided by themselves not to have the game on their platform (they should be able to decide what's aligned to their vision) but it is really disappointing to me that they broke under pressure.

I think there are two options to push back:

1) Buy/Don't buy a game
2) Play the same game and complain on social media

I rather vote with my wallet. I don't see a point in engaging with people that seriously believe that this is a stalker simulator or something like that. I'm glad GAF is not entirely biased to those ideals now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom