• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Party [OT] Afterparty with no friends

Andyliini

Super-Mario-Party-Gamescom-2018-640x360.jpg

Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release date: October 5th 2018
Developer: Nd Cube
Publisher: Nintendo
Price: 59.90 €/$
Supported controllers: Single Joy-Con only.

YDIUHEN.png

The original 4-player Mario Party series board game mode that fans love is back, and your friends and family are invited to the party! Freely walk the board: choose where to move, which Dice Block to roll, and how to win the most Stars in skill-based minigames. Wait till you see the 2 vs 2 mode with grid-based maps, the creative uses of the console, and the series’ first online minigame mode!

Test your skills in sets of five minigames with the new mode, Mariothon, and see how you stack up against players across the globe in Online Mariothon. Whether you’re pedaling tricycles, flipping meat, or who knows what else, you’ll use Joy-Con controllers in clever ways across 80 new minigames; some are all-out free-for-alls, others are 2 vs 2, or even 1 vs 3! Toad’s Rec Room lets you pair up two Nintendo Switch systems, which you’ll lay side-by-side on a flat surface like a real tabletop game. That way you can play a mini baseball game, battle tanks in custom arenas, or even see who can match the most bananas by repositioning the systems however you see fit!

N9KUYwQ.png

Mario
qXYtdyn.png

Luigi
a97rp4d.png

Peach
cLKoa0e.png

Daisy
BMRBBHR.png

Rosalina
L8Q5nXv.png

Wario
BJysadE.png

Waluigi
D6KjzxX.png

Donkey Kong
iDHIci6.png

Diddy Kong
7WpyCR4.png

Yoshi
jY3N6JT.png

Bowser
ivF1Y4G.png

Goomba
UxRPJFw.png

Shy Guy
h75YLpt.png

Koopa Troopa
hZO0dhv.png

Monty Mole
PqK5OE9.png

Bowser jr.
5T5VTO1.png

Boo
lJ8fwl2.png

Hammer Bro.
UfBSLQv.png

Dry Bones
B82XUds.png

Pom Pom
kS9ihgv.png

LszAZ6D.png

Party Mode
This is the standard Mario Party gameplay, which you can play alone or with your friends. The point is to walk around the map, get coins to purchase stars and play minigames. Every player for themselves!

Partner Party
This mode returns from Mario Party: Star Rush. In here you play in teams of two, and compete against the other team. Instead of moving along a set path, you can move freely around the map trying to hit the crucial spots on the playfield. As you roll the die, your numbers will be added up, and you can both move that manu spaces.

Toad's Rec Room
In this mode, you can combine two different Switch-systems to create a multi-screen environment for minigames. Does not work while Switch is docked, obviously.

River Survival
Four players paddle on a boat on the river and try to reach the finish line before time runs out. On your way there are obstacles that hinder your way and also balloons. Hitting those balloons result in a minigame where you can earn more time to finish the game.

Sound Stage
Here you can play rhythm based minigames.

Challenge Road
Single-player mode where you play minigames and try to beat challenges.

Online Mario-thon
In this mode, you can play 5 selected minigames in a row. This is the only mode that can be played online.

Minigame Mode
Play minigames individually.

NEzmEpx.png

Metacritic: 78
OpenCritic: 79

Nintendo World Report - 8,5 / 10
Mario Party has seen its fair share of good and bad over the years, but Super Mario Party swings the pendulum back in the right direction. The return of the classic style is a welcome one, and the plethora of different minigames hit the mark more often than not. It would have been nice to see another board or two, but the assortment of other fully-fledged modes helps to mitigate that feeling.

Nintendo Life - 8 / 10
Recent Mario Party games have previously had a somewhat sterile feel to them, but with Super Mario Party that simply isn’t the case. This isn’t a cash-grab with Mario's face on the front; this is a well-constructed and beautifully realised Mario Party game which takes the series right back to its roots, but without being a straightforward rehash. There are a few interesting ideas that feel a little bit underdeveloped, but on the whole Super Mario Party is a true return to form.

IGN - 7,3 / 10
Super Mario Party delivers the couch multiplayer experience the series is famous for with an awesome new layer of strategy, 80 mostly-great minigames, and the quirky tech of the Switch controllers to keep things feeling fresh. The downside is that with the Switch’s controllers come some annoyances that make getting people settled onto your couch a bit more of a hassle than previous parties, and the best games are prone to annoying random upsets. But it’s far better paced than recent games and Super Mario Party reset my expectations of the series with its graphics and gameplay creativity.

Ul6nbi6.png

Official Game Trailer

Shadows Trailer

Launch Trailer

kunonabi

Kind of sad that Toad's rec room is so limited it's the only part of the game that really interests me.

Treeforce

Neo Member
Cant edit my previous message. Quote went wrong, here goes again :)

I still have my scar from the original. It's a reminder to never touch this trash again.

Seems like you never played with Friends. Also what does original even mean? There have been over 10 entries.

Neverwas

Did the definition of the word "Original" change at some point? 10 entries, 20 entries, 100 entries... doesn't change what "original" means. Jesus christ, dude.

Do you want me to get my highschool friends I haven't spoken to in 20 years to post, just to verify?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Did the definition of the word "Original" change at some point? 10 entries, 20 entries, 100 entries... doesn't change what "original" means. Jesus christ, dude.

Do you want me to get my highschool friends I haven't spoken to in 20 years to post, just to verify?
Whoa chill dude.

so it turns out online is shit.

eh?
I have to believe that Nintendo knows everyone wants the ability to play Mario Party online by now its not the 90's anymore, I think this is one of their 'stances' to keep party games as local party games. Still going to pickup my pre order tomorrow and I'll invite people over as lets be honest with ourselves, its more rewarding to look someone in the eye right before you screw them over.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have to believe that Nintendo knows everyone wants the ability to play Mario Party online by now its not the 90's anymore, I think this is one of their 'stances' to keep party games as local party games. Still going to pickup my pre order tomorrow and I'll invite people over as lets be honest with ourselves, its more rewarding to look someone in the eye right before you screw them over.
i just downed 20 for a year,
and this just proves that i only want it because i am a very important business man that does business stuff. And during my business escapades.
i want to play diablo 3 rifts that's it

DonF

Weird that the online is so limited, nintendo really is on another league when it comes to online.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It's too bad you can't play the full board game online. Yes it wouldn't be as good as playing locally with people but come on Nintendo at least offer the option. Is this game not $60?

You could allow time limits between turns and send notifications like how some mobile games work and the game could take place over days.

How many boards are there? I was thinking of picking this one up, since my wife loves Mario Party, but nice to know how many boards it'll have.

betrayal

Banned
It's 2018 and this is the 3rd or 4th Mario Party title that i will not buy because it still has no online mode for the standard modes.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Really, really dumb that it doesn't have Pro Controller support. Did every last minigame really have to involve waggle? Couldn't you just have a sub-set that don't? I have the joycons that came with the console and a pro controller, so if I wanted to play with 3 people I have to go out and drop £70 on a new set of joycons that will never get used outside of this? Nah.

Really, really dumb that it doesn't have Pro Controller support. Did every last minigame really have to involve waggle? Couldn't you just have a sub-set that don't? I have the joycons that came with the console and a pro controller, so if I wanted to play with 3 people I have to go out and drop £70 on a new set of joycons that will never get used outside of this? Nah.
So the game can't be played on the TV with Pro controllers at all? Glad I avoided it.

Codes 208

Just got done watching some gameplay videos from tubers like pbg. This game looks like itll be fun for friend and family get togethers. The motion controls look more precise than the wii mini games and im glad they ditched the stupid car mechanic and no boards exclusive to amiibos. I may dip when on sale or just use my best buy membership later on.
Also what does original even mean? There have been over 10 entries.
what does this even mean? Original clearly means the first as its the original game. If I said I havent played Halo since the original, that clearly means Im referring to Halo CE

Petrae

Yup. This would’ve been an insta-buy with Pro Controller support. Without it? I won’t ever play it, let alone buy it. I can’t stand using the JoyCon controllers. It’s Pro or nothing.

RScrewed

I'm not buying it on the sheer principle that I'm sick of Nintendo advertisements showing me people having fun with the game while playing the game.

Seriously, their reactions are not genuine and super cringy.

....other than that, yeah I'll take a look.

Wow joycon only and garbage online even now that they charge for it? I was super excited to actually play mario party again too... Its fine I didnt have anyone to play with anyway lol

Thurible

How many boards are there? I was thinking of picking this one up, since my wife loves Mario Party, but nice to know how many boards it'll have.
I heard that there are 4. This is what the wiki has to say

"Super Mario Party contains four boards used in Mario Party and Partner Party mode, sharing the same locations but with a path-based or grid-based layout, respectively. This is also the first Mario Party game since Mario Party 6 not to contain any form of boss battles.
Mario Party
Partner Party
So there are four normal boards and four other boards for "partner party". DLC could potentially expand the board list, but I'm not sure if that is in the works.

Kagey K

Banned
My gf and I used to love Mario party with friends and would make nights out of it. We even had a New Years where it was just 4 of us playing all night. I haven’t bought it since 8 cuz we all hated the car.

Now we have MP nights with our 2 kids on 2-6 on N64 and GC. They are excited for this but I’m not excited to fork out for a second set of joycons.

For the experienced, how are the mini games and how random is the board?

Last edited:

Michele

you.
Not to be ignorant, but what's up with the title? It turns some peoples off. Just 'Super Mario Party' is fine...

Actually, could you tell me about this 'Afterparty with no friends'? Is Mario Party breaking friendship a meme thing?

BlackTron

My friend bought it over last night. Pleasantly surprised, a competent, back-to-basics Mario Party. The new river survival mode is a faster-paced co-op alternative to the main board game, which can still kinda drag as it always has since the original. But not so bad that I couldn't sit through two boards. The minigames make very good use of the joy con features in a way that doesn't feel forced, just contemporary. This will be the first MP game I pick up since 1 on the n64.

I got to spend a generous amount of time playing over our Canadian Thanksgiving this past weekend and I am pretty happy to confirm that Mario Party has made steps in the right direction to return to form.

I realize at the best of times, some recent Mario Party games have dragged on too long for some people, especially based on who you're playing with and if you've ever attempted to play solo and that whole shared cart thing moving around the board. I can say I never really got that feeling from this game, even playing against the cpu there were just some moments of douchebaggery taken on their turns that made me think I could see so and so doing that. There are some great items (some more useful than others) and environmental changes presented through the special event spaces on the board that have the ability to change the flow of the game... literally.

For the most part my fiance and I played, we unlocked the additional board, we played the heavily team work geared River Rafting and we each took our turns playing the 5-game online mini game battles. The boards themselves were alot of fun, Megafruit Paradise and the unlockable board were our favs, I'm a little disappointed not to see more boards included but keep your fingers crossed for some new boards in the form of paid dlc.

Going into this game the thing most people were on the fence about was the joy-cons only control scheme, although the menu can be abit of a pain in the ass at first to navigate at (only cause who uses joy-cons by themselves to play anything vs the comfort of pro controller) Once you get past that part, it feels completely natural for the 80 mini games you'll encounter.

The mini games aren't all waggle, some are waggle-esque but not full blown waggle that I've experienced. I played one mini-game where you're feeling the vibration of characters through the joy-con and then blindly guessing the character that caused the vibration through the joy-cons behind a closed curtain, the joy-cons feel perfect for this type of thing and its created some pretty refreshed feeling mini games.

The online multiplayer portion of the game, which is a collection of 5 mini games against others online is more fun than I thought it'd be. The progression and rankings are setup like a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe style where you progress through different tournaments, each with its own set of 5 mini games and as you get better by placing 1st, 2nd or 3rd you get a better letter ranking which moves you along to the next tournament. This actually got pretty addicting as I played through a few rounds online and worked my way to the next tournament.

The River Rafting portion of the game which is heavily based on team co-op play is a nice change of pace from traditional Mario Party gameplay finds you navigating down a multi-path river, where colliding with red balloons allows your rafting party to play mini-games for a chance to earn more time to get all the way to the bottom of the river. The quicker you complete the mini game the more time you'll receive with an S ranking being the best time achievable.

Overall with everything Super Mario Party offers, feels familiar but yet fresh, this should be a great party game for when you have friends over and is worth picking up at some point for your Switch.

iconmaster

Banned
Hey, late to the party here (heheh).

Picked this up to play with the family having barely played a Mario Party before. I played some earlier installment (maybe on Wii) and found it painfully boring.

But this one I’m enjoying immensely. Board strategy seems to actually matter, the presentation is top-notch and the Joy-con tailored mini games are really inventive. We’ve played through all four boards using 10- and 15-turn options (not both for every board yet, mind), and the kids tried a bit of the rhythm mode as well.

I see this being our go-to family entertainment for quite some time. I’ll happy throw money at any DLC Nintendo wants to offer.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Board strategy seems to actually matter

Really? I though there was so much randomness that you could never be "good" at this game. It's fun, but it's hard to be competitive. I won my first game after being in last place the first 95% of the game.

iconmaster

Banned
Really? I though there was so much randomness that you could never be "good" at this game. It's fun, but it's hard to be competitive. I won my first game after being in last place the first 95% of the game.

I know that’s the series’ reputation; but in my limited experience the players who end up first or second are those who actually played the best, and my nine-year-old (who is no gaming slouch!) struggles a bit to stay in contention.

Codes 208

Randomness will always be a major factor, but atleast this one is back to its roots, i despised the car in 9 and 10.

But the character dice blocks actually do add a form of strategy, especially when you manage to make allies. Plus of course items. I watched some gameplay of pb&jeff playing and two of them used poison mushrooms on projared, (they stack btw, so the -2 spaces became -4) which forced him to stay on his spot, which was also an activation spot, forcing him to get moved to the other side of the board.

He/she who has the most allies wins, gotta love collecting 2-3 allies for their extra dice rolls and custom dice depending on the situation.

Cutty Flam

Banned
bender bender Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo Andyliini Andyliini up for a game next week?

Here are some of the bonus stars to consider pursuing during your turns each game

Minigame Star: Given to players who have won the most minigames
Rich Star: Given to players who have the most coins throughout the game
Eventful Star: Given to players who have landed on the most Event Spaces
Item Star: Given to players who have used the most items
Ally Star: Given to players who have the most allies
Buddy Star: Given to a player who has a particular, random ally
Sightseer Star: Given to players who have traveled the most spaces
Slowpoke Star: Given to players who have traveled the least spaces
Unlucky Star: Given to players who have landed on the most Red Spaces and Bad Luck Spaces
Stompy Star: Given to players who have stomped on other players the most (Partner Party only)
Doormat Star: Given to players who have been stomped on the most (Partner Party only)

Shaqazooloo

bender bender Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo Andyliini Andyliini up for a game next week?

Here are some of the bonus stars to consider pursuing during your turns each game

Minigame Star: Given to players who have won the most minigames
Rich Star: Given to players who have the most coins throughout the game
Eventful Star: Given to players who have landed on the most Event Spaces
Item Star: Given to players who have used the most items
Ally Star: Given to players who have the most allies
Buddy Star: Given to a player who has a particular, random ally
Sightseer Star: Given to players who have traveled the most spaces
Slowpoke Star: Given to players who have traveled the least spaces
Unlucky Star: Given to players who have landed on the most Red Spaces and Bad Luck Spaces
Stompy Star: Given to players who have stomped on other players the most (Partner Party only)
Doormat Star: Given to players who have been stomped on the most (Partner Party only)
Im down but im usually only available on the weekends,

Cutty Flam

Banned
Im down but im usually only available on the weekends,
That works. Hopefully we get a full party. Ideally it should always be fours with any Mario Party game IMO, b/c no matter what the computer AI never seems to get the job done. It was always an "aww fuck!!" moment every time you matched up with the CPU during a 2v2 minigame while your friend gets the other friend to play with lol

Cutty Flam

Banned
Played an interesting match earlier. 30 turn / Kamek's Tantalizing Tower. Here are some of my thoughts on how the game went and I'll talk strategies to consider when playing this board

First off, the game was played with a dude on my friend's list, his friend, and we had Wario as CPU on Normal. The order was my friend (DK), CPU (Wario), Me (Luigi), and my friend's friend (Bowser)

The first 15-20 turns or so we were kinda having an unspoken-truce thing going on. Nobody really tried to use the Coinado (steal 5 to 10 coins from a rival) but instead we all tried to do our own thing and build up some momentum. Simply get some stars under our belts, get some allies on deck (they play an enormous role in winning most of the time) and just feel out the map. But then I went after Bowser and this started a vicious cycle of revenge between him and I lol. My friend (DK) was staying out of it for as long as he could but eventually I attacked him to bring him down a notch as he was quietly becoming a contender. Then it was all out competition and war from like turn 22-30 at least

The best strategy, looking back with this particular board, is that you want to be able to play the remaining last portion of turns with plenty of coins. Winning minigames and maximizing coins is so crucial to winning on this map. I came in second because I did not have enough coins at the end. Bowser had 16 stars, as did I, but he had more coins in the end so victory was his. The end portion of the game becomes the wild West with those Coinado items. It's inevitable. Players are very likely going to pay 5 coins to get the Coinado most turns and it's going to end up being enough to take a player (at least one player) down a peg and ruin said player's chances at a trip to the star. But if you have plenty of coins to spare going into the latter portion of the game, it's possible you avoid losing out on a star or two that you could have gotten otherwise. Coins are paramount on this board, you must do whatever you can to have a nice little stash of coins before the endgame to maximize your chances of getting a star or two or three (last three turns you can get three) every time you reach the end where the stars are sold

-Winning minigames on this map and coming in 1st or 2nd most times is so crucial. Even more as the game goes on and the competition gets tighter
-Coins are a huge decider
-Really analyzing the board and each turn to maximize your coin collecting and bonus star pursuing strategy is a huge component to winning on this map as welll
-It may or may not be a good idea to pay off Thwomp a huge fee in the beginning if there is a smart player using Bowser who can win a lot of minigames. Since Bowser has a great chance to move 8,9,10 spaces this shortcut might be something you would want to raise the fee on. Something to think about
-Coinados late in the game and Poison Mushrooms can hamper a player greatly and cost your opponents a star or two in the long run. Sabotaging in this game is very interesting. Everybody has a loaded gun at some point, and then begin the mind games...who do you attack, and when?
-Using Lakitu to steal a star (cost is 30 coins) is not wise unless it's situational and can land you a huge advantage. Those 30 coins can get you two stars for the same price and coins are tougher to hold onto when the final turns are approaching
-Custom Dice Blocks play a huge factor. It's best to make every single one count, you cannot afford to use these so freely if you want to win, but instead must have a plan for them. There is a lot to think about depending on what your best tactics and strategy will be depending on the players and the game's outlook and which bonus stars you are aiming for
--Do not underestimate the Poison Mushroom on this map. It might be best to have a Dash Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, and Custom Dice Block on hand at all times if it were possible. Two Dash Mushrooms might not be as good as having a Poison Mushroom to slow your opponent's chances
-Blue spaces and potential Hidden Blocks are an overlooked option. Blue spaces give coins, which are so key for this map. Add to that, the potential to get Hidden Block which gives coins or a star? It's a win-win situation even if you only get coins from it and miss out on the star. Those coins will eventually prove to be a tremendous cushion at some point

I noticed that some games there are two bonus stars at the end, and some times there are three bonus stars. Not sure how that is decided but the bonus stars we had (three this time) were the Rich Star (won that), the Ally Star (Bowser and I won that), and the Slowpoke Star (Wario won this one). Bowser took 1st because he had more coins, I took second because I lacked coins, DK was third because he failed to get any bonus stars ultimately, and Wario was dead last because he was the CPU set on Normal

Pretty fun game overall despite how I thought in the beginning. Kamek's Tantalizing Tower really begins to shine towards the later turns. And while 30 Turns is a very long match, if you have two or three other competitive players playing with you then it becomes a great experience worth the time put in by the end of it. I just wish players decided to look at the analytics at the very end of the game. If Nintendo allowed each player to view them after the game that would be best. But only the host has the option to view them if he/she so chooses at the very end

Shaqazooloo

Played an interesting match earlier. 30 turn / Kamek's Tantalizing Tower. Here are some of my thoughts on how the game went and I'll talk strategies to consider when playing this board

First off, the game was played with a dude on my friend's list, his friend, and we had Wario as CPU on Normal. The order was my friend (DK), CPU (Wario), Me (Luigi), and my friend's friend (Bowser)

The first 15-20 turns or so we were kinda having an unspoken-truce thing going on. Nobody really tried to use the Coinado (steal 5 to 10 coins from a rival) but instead we all tried to do our own thing and build up some momentum. Simply get some stars under our belts, get some allies on deck (they play an enormous role in winning most of the time) and just feel out the map. But then I went after Bowser and this started a vicious cycle of revenge between him and I lol. My friend (DK) was staying out of it for as long as he could but eventually I attacked him to bring him down a notch as he was quietly becoming a contender. Then it was all out competition and war from like turn 22-30 at least

The best strategy, looking back with this particular board, is that you want to be able to play the remaining last portion of turns with plenty of coins. Winning minigames and maximizing coins is so crucial to winning on this map. I came in second because I did not have enough coins at the end. Bowser had 16 stars, as did I, but he had more coins in the end so victory was his. The end portion of the game becomes the wild West with those Coinado items. It's inevitable. Players are very likely going to pay 5 coins to get the Coinado most turns and it's going to end up being enough to take a player (at least one player) down a peg and ruin said player's chances at a trip to the star. But if you have plenty of coins to spare going into the latter portion of the game, it's possible you avoid losing out on a star or two that you could have gotten otherwise. Coins are paramount on this board, you must do whatever you can to have a nice little stash of coins before the endgame to maximize your chances of getting a star or two or three (last three turns you can get three) every time you reach the end where the stars are sold

-Winning minigames on this map and coming in 1st or 2nd most times is so crucial. Even more as the game goes on and the competition gets tighter
-Coins are a huge decider
-Really analyzing the board and each turn to maximize your coin collecting and bonus star pursuing strategy is a huge component to winning on this map as welll
-It may or may not be a good idea to pay off Thwomp a huge fee in the beginning if there is a smart player using Bowser who can win a lot of minigames. Since Bowser has a great chance to move 8,9,10 spaces this shortcut might be something you would want to raise the fee on. Something to think about
-Coinados late in the game and Poison Mushrooms can hamper a player greatly and cost your opponents a star or two in the long run. Sabotaging in this game is very interesting. Everybody has a loaded gun at some point, and then begin the mind games...who do you attack, and when?
-Using Lakitu to steal a star (cost is 30 coins) is not wise unless it's situational and can land you a huge advantage. Those 30 coins can get you two stars for the same price and coins are tougher to hold onto when the final turns are approaching
-Custom Dice Blocks play a huge factor. It's best to make every single one count, you cannot afford to use these so freely if you want to win, but instead must have a plan for them. There is a lot to think about depending on what your best tactics and strategy will be depending on the players and the game's outlook and which bonus stars you are aiming for
--Do not underestimate the Poison Mushroom on this map. It might be best to have a Dash Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, and Custom Dice Block on hand at all times if it were possible. Two Dash Mushrooms might not be as good as having a Poison Mushroom to slow your opponent's chances
-Blue spaces and potential Hidden Blocks are an overlooked option. Blue spaces give coins, which are so key for this map. Add to that, the potential to get Hidden Block which gives coins or a star? It's a win-win situation even if you only get coins from it and miss out on the star. Those coins will eventually prove to be a tremendous cushion at some point

I noticed that some games there are two bonus stars at the end, and some times there are three bonus stars. Not sure how that is decided but the bonus stars we had (three this time) were the Rich Star (won that), the Ally Star (Bowser and I won that), and the Slowpoke Star (Wario won this one). Bowser took 1st because he had more coins, I took second because I lacked coins, DK was third because he failed to get any bonus stars ultimately, and Wario was dead last because he was the CPU set on Normal

Pretty fun game overall despite how I thought in the beginning. Kamek's Tantalizing Tower really begins to shine towards the later turns. And while 30 Turns is a very long match, if you have two or three other competitive players playing with you then it becomes a great experience worth the time put in by the end of it. I just wish players decided to look at the analytics at the very end of the game. If Nintendo allowed each player to view them after the game that would be best. But only the host has the option to view them if he/she so chooses at the very end
Two bonus stars for 10 or 15 turns, 3 stars for 20 turns

Cutty Flam

Banned
Two bonus stars for 10 or 15 turns, 3 stars for 20 turns
And it changes how many turns you can do as well huh? I noticed on one board 20 Turns was the maximum. But today, I was surprised to see 30 turns for Kamek’s Tantalizing Tower. Did Nintendo raise the number of turns in the recent update or was it always board specific like that w/ Kamek being able to go up to 30 Turns?

Shaqazooloo

And it changes how many turns you can do as well huh? I noticed on one board 20 Turns was the maximum. But today, I was surprised to see 30 turns for Kamek’s Tantalizing Tower. Did Nintendo raise the number of turns in the recent update or was it always board specific like that w/ Kamek being able to go up to 30 Turns?
Huh, so just looked it up. Apparently it's board specific for Kamek's Tantalizing Tower and been in the game since the beginning. I actually really surprised I didn't notice that.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Kamek's Tantalizing Tower. 20 Turns. Myself and three other random players to make a full 4/4 played online

What transpired would become the luckiest game I ever played, to date, in any Mario Party game haha

Started off behind kinda early; while two other players had 6 stars, I only had two. But then came the unthinkable: Hidden Blocks. Received (8) total. And in the game, there was 17-18 of them for us. Another guy received (6) total lol. I've never seen anything like this before and I've played hundreds and hundreds of games of Mario Party. Essentially, we nearly averaged a hidden among one of our four each turn for the twenty turns in all...In the end, took first and somehow Bowser of all characters ended up last. The guy playing as Bowser is excellent too, played with him before but this was no typical game on Kamek's Tantalizing Tower; a lot of crazy turns took place. What a fun game

Super Mario Party is quickly becoming addicting

Cutty Flam

Banned
Here is the trick to winning on King Bob-omb's Powderkeg Mine

Head left as fast as you can and buy a Golden Warp Pipe. Use at opportune time. Head over there again and repeat. That board is all about getting the Golden Warp Pipe often and anticipating the star during other stretches. Allies on this map as well as high number rolls are a part of a winning strategy on this map as well. If you have the items you need, the allies too, and are smart about using the right dice block each turn to keep probability in your favor then chances to come away with a victory is good. Going up towards the top right side of the board seems to be a less-than-ideal choice even if the star is over there. Why? It's because you can spend a few turns up there away from the ally spaces, away from the good items. Those two things are too valuable and that upper portion of the map should be avoided imo to increase chances of winning. It's always situational of course, but I see the top portion of the map on King Bob-omb's Powderkeg Mine as a disadvantageous area to enter unless you have a couple of Golden Dash Mushrooms

That's my one tip for this map that will likely help. There is less opportunity up there. The sides of the map and the middle are where you should remain most of the game. Let the suckers chase the long path and waste valuable turns in the less opportunistic portion of the board. It almost seems like a trick to me, to even think of going up there...only the Lakitu at the end of that area gives somewhat of a reason to be risking getting isolated over there. Just my two cents

Shaqazooloo

Looking back its a little weird that they had made these maps have their spaces so spaced out. I mean I get why they went with fewer spaces but with the gaps that are in-between these spaces I get the impression that their were more spaces they just decided to cut back at some point, especially on the Kamek map. It's one of the things in the game that make me think that the maps were more designed for the free movement based game.

It still worked out pretty well imo, just a little weird to look at now tbh.

Top Bottom