• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
You really had to be there for GTA IV. It was the biggest launch of any game to that point. It just hasn't aged well.
I distinctly remember the moment after 10h or so putting the controller down and wondering whether I was having fun or not. I never played that game ever again.
giphy.gif

SM3DW is the best 3D Mario game ever made and we're never going to get another one like it.

I'm not actually that salty.
Maybe we'll get Mario 3D Land 2 on 3DS or something. Would love that.

lol... So the "Nintendo bias" is a true fact? The salt is intense here.

I've made it pretty damn clear this isn't exclusive to Nintendo.

Then again, I've also made it clear that my initial comment was not in any way intended as derision.

Mario games are easily some of the best ever made. Whatever bias some critics might bring to their reviews, it's well-earned.

Hell, I'd be lying if I didn't admit I have similar biases about Mario, Zelda, GTA, etc.

Metroid and Mario are two very different franchises in terms of their popularity and even their nostalgia factor, and I say that as a HUGE Metroid fan.

But hey, if you honestly believe that EDITORIALS - based mostly on subjective opinion - can't be influenced by personal bias, especially in regards to beloved franchises, then nothing I write will convince you otherwise.

As for me, I'm looking forward to Odyssey, regardless of how many 10's it garners.
So... The "Nintendo bias" only applies to some specific franchises?... Especially the ones that receive a lot of 10s from the press around the world and the general public...Ok.... lololol. Can't wait to see you again when Prime 4 reviews comes out.

Lusankya

Btw. there is a bigger photo of the EDGE article (not sure if I am allowed to post it) and there they state:

"Peach, for her part, is no helpless damsel either."

Sounds interesting.

They also praise Bowser for his competence this time. :D

Btw. there is a bigger photo of the EDGE article (not sure if I am allowed to post it) and there they state:

Sounds interesting.

I'm not expecting something grand like playable Peach, but it does give me hope that the plot actually varies a bit.

"haw haw but its mario" Yes I know, but I would still appreciate it.

RagnarokX

giphy.gif

SM3DW is the best 3D Mario game ever made and we're never going to get another one like it.

I'm not actually that salty.

On the plus side, if 3D Land keeps up its sales for a few more years it's close to passing Galaxy in lifetime sales.

3D Land has sold 11.27 million copies worldwide as of March 2017, sold 540,000 copies last year.
Galaxy has sold 12.75 million copies, sold 60,000 copies last year.

So... The "Nintendo bias" only applies to some specific franchises?... Especially the ones that receive a lot of 10s from the press around the world and the general public...Ok.... lololol. Can't wait to see you again when Prime 4 reviews comes out.

Well, BOTW is my current game of the year and I think it's deserving of those high scores but I also think Zelda is a franchise that enjoys a certain presumption of quality before people ever play a minute of the game. (And I'm one of those people.)

And again. I own a Switch, I'm excited as hell about Odyssey, so the fact that you are being this adversarial over an innocuous comment that applies to plenty of franchises beyond Nintendo is a bit odd.

Jigorath

Banned
A 6/10 for Samus Returns sounds about right. It's incredibly ugly, and the game's structure is pretty dull. Samus controls really well though.

Sounds interesting.

Playable Peach and Bowser confirmed? Play through the game with each character, get 300 moons each playthrough, 900 moons total.

Nah that actually sounds kinda lame

Well, BOTW is my current game of the year and I think it's deserving of those high scores but I also think Zelda is a franchise that enjoys a certain presumption of quality before people ever play a minute of the game. (And I'm one of those people.)

And again. I own a Switch, I'm excited as hell about Odyssey, so the fact that you are being this adversarial over an innocuous comment that applies to plenty of franchises beyond Nintendo is a bit odd.

Doesn't that presumption of quality tend to hold those games to higher standards rather than skew reviews upwards (which I know you're not necessarily claiming is happening)? I just don't see the logic in that area. If anything, a game in a franchise as beloved as Zelda or Mario will be derided like Skyward Sword or Mario 3D World was when it doesn't deliver exactly what the fans expect. Reviewers seem to be good at reviewing these games outside of those expectations and franchise baggage, so I don't think this effect really happens.

I'm not expecting something grand like playable Peach, but it does give me hope that the plot actually varies a bit.

"haw haw but its mario" Yes I know, but I would still appreciate it.
After 3D World avoided the “Peach is kidnapped!” plot and made her an active player character, I’m going to be extremely disappointed if they don’t throw some kind of twist into this game’s plot to justify the forced wedding nonsense.

I love video games! I post on an enthusiast gaming forum because of how much I love video games!

:video game gets a 10/10:

now I'm sad and angry
Those ones don’t count!

stoplikingwhatidontlike.jpg

igoonlineandcomplainaboutgamesiveneverplayed.jpg

Andrea23

they sympathize with poplar and loved franchises of nintendo, the games you listed are ignored by most nintendo fans

BOTW is one of the greatest games i have ever played and possibly in my top 5 of all time, it got a score of 97 in MC while The witcher 3 got 92 ? wtf ? Witcher 3 is obviously the better game, not just in my opinion, but in general, Witcher 3 is the best game released in the last decade, most people agree to that, so why did it get 92 while BOTW got 97 ??

smash 4 got 92MC, the same score as The witcher 3 and Bloodborne and there is barely any difference from Brawl, mario kart 8 got 88MC even though it's the same thing as MK7 but with better graphics, 3D World got 93 and it's not even 3D, all those games don't deserve those reviews, i bet if sunset overdrive was a Nintendo exclusive it would have gotten a 90MC

Nintendo games get high scores with simple effort (except for Zelda)

Maybe because Zelda has a better gameplay, a more robust and evolved logic of gamedesign and, overall, is a step forward in the open world genre?

In short, maybe it's a better videoGAME?

I guess...

EPD Tokyo proving once again not to doubt them. Congrats!

Sounds interesting.

Oh, interesting!

DMONKUMA

Sounds interesting.

Yeah I imagine with that tiara that she can control stuff too. Same for bowser.

Playable Peach and Bowser confirmed? Play through the game with each character, get 300 moons each playthrough, 900 moons total.

Nah that actually sounds kinda lame

Doesn't that presumption of quality tend to hold those games to higher standards rather than skew reviews upwards (which I know you're not necessarily claiming is happening)? I just don't see the logic in that area. If anything, a game in a franchise as beloved as Zelda or Mario will be derided like Skyward Sword or Mario 3D World was when it doesn't deliver exactly what the fans expect. Reviewers seem to be good at reviewing these games outside of those expectations and franchise baggage, so I don't think this effect really happens.

I think it can actually work both ways.

Also, not everyone will allow that bias to color their review but I do think these biases affect reviews more than some people think.

I know they affect me.

ffdgh

Sounds interesting.

I shouldn't be hopeful...I won't be hopeful...

they sympathize with poplar and loved franchises of nintendo, the games you listed are ignored by most nintendo fans

BOTW is one of the greatest games i have ever played and possibly in my top 5 of all time, it got a score of 97 in MC while The witcher 3 got 92 ? wtf ? Witcher 3 is obviously the better game, not just in my opinion, but in general, Witcher 3 is the best game released in the last decade, most people agree to that, so why did it get 92 while BOTW got 97 ??

smash 4 got 92MC, the same score as The witcher 3 and Bloodborne and there is barely any difference from Brawl, mario kart 8 got 88MC even though it's the same thing as MK7 but with better graphics, 3D World got 93 and it's not even 3D, all those games don't deserve those reviews, i bet if sunset overdrive was a Nintendo exclusive it would have gotten a 90MC

Nintendo games get high scores with simple effort (except for Zelda)

Witcher 3 is obviously the better game? How do you come to that conclusion? Other than your own opinion.

Smash 4 and MK8 are nothing like the previous installments, I wasn't even a huge MK fan before MK8.

You're a bit nervous because some motherfucker got a magazine earlier than usual and you think EDGE is purposefully doing that to show the world yes Mario did get a 10 pls read from us, the first perfect review?

Time to calm down mate.
I mean, that is what's happening in this thread, isn't it? It may not be EDGE's intent, but the leak has caused this byproduct.

I'd also like to note that it's my personal, subjective opinion, which doesn't negate or invalidate anyone else's interpretation of the review. For one thing, I've stated repeatedly that hope I'm wrong.

A thread about a single score from a single publication (no text!) for this game has twice as many pages already as the Mordor OT.

GAF is going to fucking melt when Odyssey comes out.

FinalAres

gta iv being a 10 is still an insult to basic human decency.
I disagree. Its got its problems in retrospect, but for the time it was released the scope of the game was massive, and the story really good. That vision of liberty city is still the tops. Go back and play it!

My only real problem was the lack of variety in missions, but it was the first game to feel like a living breathing world (to me)

I think it can actually work both ways.

Also, not everyone will allow that bias to color their review but I do think these biases affect reviews more than some people think.

I know they affect me.

I can't really place the logic to this argument but it's definitely an interesting discussion to be had for sure. For example, if a reviewer's favorite game is Ocarina of Time and they play Breath of the Wild going in knowing the franchise is known for its high quality, would that reviewer be unable to be disappointed by the changes between their favorite game and this new game? That to me seems like a more reasonable bias effect than the opposite, where they know the series is known for quality so for some reason they already start with a high score in mind.

Regardless, I think we can both agree that the claims of this being an industry wide Nintendo bias thing that resulted in 69 perfect 10s and a 98 metacritic score for BotW are nonsense, right?

http://nintendoeverything.com/super...-review-in-edge-awarded-with-a-perfect-score/

So that's two 10/10 games on a console that is less than 9m old, according to Edge.

Edit: This is the 20th game they have awarded a perfect score.

to be fair wiiu also had two 10 games and that didnt help
You should go back and read what I initially posted.

It was actually complimentary because franchises like Mario that probably enjoy a bit of bias have most certainly earned it.

mario galaxy or mario 3d land didnt get 10 though

Mareg

Whelp !
I didn't plan on buying a switch anytime soon. Guess I probably won't be able to hold out much longer. Hnnng !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom