• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stung By 83 Different Insects, Biologist Rates His Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
My experience scale:

1. Hawaiian centipede- assumed local exaggeration. Was so wrong.

1a. Unidentified jellyfish in Indonesia.

2. Unidentified bite/sting in Mexico Yucatan region.

3. Fire ants

4. Bee

5. Hornet

6. Yellow jacket

7. Regular wasp

100. Anthill in Thailand where hundreds of tiny ants swarmed my foot and it was actually kind of pleasant. Like pins and needles.

If he's anything like me he becomes a bigger bitch with every encounter.
stinkles did you actively go lookin for such a fucking big centipede?

images

?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ahh, curiosity. I love bugs for the most part but you are a braver person than I. But, whatever doesn't kill ya gives you experience + perspective, so good on you for that at least lol.

All I learned was that I am stupid, the locals aren't exaggerating and that I wasted two days of vacation in excruciating pain. Oh and that centipedes do not require much provocation to bite you.

tbQ41S9.jpg

Amir0x

Banned

And a certain tribe called the Sateré-Mawé use bullet ants as an initiation rite for children entering manhood. They must slip on a glove threaded with bullet ants which are then agitated to chew the ever loving shit out of these poor kids. And they must complete this ritual MULTIPLE TIMES - over twenty times in fact.

Humans are interesting people, for sure.

All I learned was that I am stupid, the locals aren't exaggerating and that I wasted two days of vacation in excruciating pain. Oh and that centipedes do not require much provocation to bite you.

tbQ41S9.jpg

I will never forget when my 1st-grade teacher (on Oahu) brought in a tube containing a dead centipede about as long as my young forearm.

She found and killed it in her bed.

Where did you even find one? And where did you get bit? It totally sucks that you wasted a few days of your vacation tho :\ That didn't even cross my mind.

Also that pic... /SHUDDER Like srs, out of all the leggy bugs out there, centipedes are the CREEPIEST in my book, and that includes spiders & millipedes.

Stinkles

I will never forget when my 1st-grade teacher (on Oahu) brought in a tube with a dead centipede about as long as my young forearm.

She found and killed it in her bed.

They seem to like water. The one I molested was in a gutter running along our hotel's golf cart path and I have seen a few of them in swimming pools (dead, usually).

Where did you even find one? And where did you get bit? It totally sucks that you wasted a few days of your vacation tho :\ That didn't even cross my mind.

Also that pic... /SHUDDER Like srs, out of all the leggy bugs out there, centipedes are the CREEPIEST in my book, and that includes spiders & millipedes.

Those things are fucking everywhere in some areas of Hawaii. There was a freaky kid on our street who used to find them, chop off their heads and play with them while they could still wriggle around

Stinkles

As the poster above said, they're easy to find, mine was at the hotel near my room, and it bit the tip of my index finger.

Those things are fucking everywhere in some areas of Hawaii. There was a freaky kid on our street who used to find them, chop off their heads and play with them while they could still wriggle around

Jesus h, that's gross AND cruel :(

As the poster above said, they're easy to find, mine was at the hotel near my room, and it bit the tip of my index finger.

OMG YOUR FINGER! Yeah fuck that! Though I guess they're doin' something right since (generally) people steer clear of them and there're a zillion of them all over the place... God I'm glad my parents didn't actually move to Hawaii before I was born LOL

Jarmel

Banned
I'm looking at videos of people who did the Bullet Ant Glove challenge. My god. People saying that their hand still feels like it's in the glove when it's already off...

Kimawolf

You're right, because if he was we would have had a "GAF I've just been stung by an insect" thread, only to learn 10 pages in he's been traveling around the world to get stung by said insects.
No itd been a thread called : GAF i was stung by 83 different biting and stinging insects! What should i do?"

EloquentM

aka Mannny

tbQ41S9.jpg
They're really agressive! They literally try to eat anything dead or not bigger than them! Stinkles you crazy crazy man.

Eyeron

Tarantula Hawks are fucking terrifying. I grew up in rural New Mexico and had a few run-ins with those hellspawn. You can hear them coming from a bit of a distance. Straight back indoors when I'd hear the buzzing.

Stinkles

They're really agressive! They literally try to eat anything dead or not bigger than them! Stinkles you crazy crazy man.

I literally didn't know any better. I read a ludicrous essay about a dude who stayed in a hut/bivouac on a Hawaiian jungle hike and he described the pain. And it was so absurd I assumed it was satire.

BUT IT WASN'T.

The pain was bizarre. Felt like a cross between a stabbing and a hammer blow. And it stayed, then got worse. Then sort of maintained that feel - but started throbbing, to show off, and deliberately made my finger feel MASSIVE so that the pain was happening over a much larger area. I swear it felt like a toe. I could feel extra mass and area.

However, the Hawaiian stated remedy - get drunk - was partially true.

Stinkles

I'm a maso too but hell no.

dafuq

I'm going to Hawaii in 7 days.

WHAT THE FUCK.

They're not in your grill. As I discovered, you have to seek them out which is easy but can't be done in normal vacation habits. Bees and wasps here are way more dangerous in terms of accessibility.

Armaros

Hey if we want to keep 'nature is a dick' here is the Manchineel tree.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel

All parts of the tree contain strong toxins, some unidentified.Its milky white sap contains phorbol and other skin irritants, producing strong allergic dermatitis.Standing beneath the tree during rain will cause blistering of the skin from mere contact with this liquid (even a small drop of rain with the milky substance in it will cause the skin to blister). The sap has also been known to damage the paint on cars.Burning the tree may cause ocular injuries if the smoke reaches the eyes.

The fruit is possibly fatal if eaten; however, "fatalities from ingestion are not reported in the modern literature" and "ingestion may produce severe gastroenteritis with bleeding, shock, bacterial superinfection, and the potential for airway compromise due to edema. Patients with a history of ingestion and either oropharyngeal burns or gastrointestinal symptoms should be evaluated for admission in hospital. Care is supportive."

Standing under the tree in the rain will blister you. And if you burn, it fights back.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
He said he managed to not get stung by these:

191t5r8wkyaf5jpg.jpg

I heard him on the show this morning

he specifically said he avoided the Japanese Hornet because of complications lol.... aka fuck that lol

as for the bullet ant, he said they have the most potent poison in the animal world, but they dont carry alot because of their seize obviously. So we're lucky lol

and yea, I dont know why the Tarantula Hawk exist....

Tarantula hawk? What is a tarant- oh my GOD

NWCGL1N.jpg
I saw some hiking around California (Mt Vulcan by Julian) and they weren't nearly that big. They were still huge as far as wasps go, and just awesome looking. I loved the beautiful metallic colors... bright orange and blue against a dark body:
CJ5rak4.jpg

dcWBXDG.jpg

At the time I didn't know what they were, so I got in close to take photos :p naturally I was still kinda freaked out so my photos aren't the best. Had I know about the pain, I guess I would have run the hell away.

But is it the gympie gympie plant. Where someone who got stung, relives the pain every time he has a cold shower even 2 years later.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrocnide_moroides

When the recommended treatment involves hydrochloric acid, you know you messed up.

The recommended treatment for skin exposed to the hairs is applying diluted hydrochloric acid (1:10) [12] and pulling them out with a hair removal strip. [13][14] Or failing that, a strip of adhesive tape and/or tweezers, taking care not to break the hairs, removing them intact. As broken hair tips that remain buried will only exacerbate the pain.

They are disgustingly bad-ass. From wikipedia:
The female tarantula hawk wasp stings and paralyzes a tarantula, then drags the specimen to a specially prepared brooding nest, where a single egg is laid on the spider’s abdomen
When the wasp larva hatches, it creates a small hole in the spider's abdomen, then enters and feeds voraciously, avoiding vital organs for as long as possible to keep the spider alive. After several weeks, the larva pupates. Finally, the wasp becomes an adult, and emerges from the spider's abdomen to continue the life cycle
That's some sick shit.

My warrior list:

Bee
Ants
Scorpion
Spider
Mosquitos
Dog
Little Johnny in toddler class

I'd have to say the dog that bit me in the thigh was the fucking worst.

Acerac

Banned
I like that 4 on his scale is blinding pain equivalent to a hairdrier being tossed in your bathtub.

This man could use a bigger scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom