• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: Animated Movie Chun-Li vs Vega, best game to movie scene ever?

The Hermit

3j1fo8b.jpg

Should be first post

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think a lot of guys remember it because it was a partially naked Chun Li who just came out of the shower.

Partially naked? There was some full on boobs on display, which still baffles me Capcom allowed that.

Piers

Yeah the scene is great. Like you said "Ultra" by KMFDM fit the scene so well.

Loved the movie. I remember in the UK reading issues of EGM in the early 90s that talked about or had some updates on the animated movie but never really saw it on sale or around.

It wasn't until a UK cable station called Bravo went through a re-invention in like 1994 or 1995 and began showing Troma movies and anime at midnights and one of the first anime movies was Street Fighter II uncut and unedited. I stayed up watching it and from that shot in the beginning to the end I was hooked and fortunately Bravo repeated the film a few times over the week so I could record it on VHS and then would invite my friends over to watch it.

I didn't even know about the Japanese version with an original score until like 10 years later but I have to say, the US version is superior.

This shot though...blew my mind at the time when you start seeing the little bits of electricity sparking off and then..
tumblr_n7l88tAird1sdhuzuo1_500.gif

It's funny I actually popped in the "Uncut" NA DVD I bought a few years ago over the weekend due to the excitement for SFV and...damn the DVD transfer looks like shit. lol Is there a blu-ray available with a good transfer in the US?

I found it funny that SFIV tried to recapture that moment with Ryu's Metsu Hadouken (particularly the little exhale he does) but wasn't quite there.

Doctre81

Now imagine my suprise after seeing this and hoping the one that came with SF4 collectors ed would be anywhere near this.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Partially naked? There was some full on boobs on display, which still baffles me Capcom allowed that.

It was kind of before Chun Li was more of a household name. Nowadays, she's too much of a mascot for Capcom to allow something like that, but back then? It's like when a young actress does a topless scene that follows her throughout her entire career, even when she makes it big.

Watched the movie nonstop when it first came out. I seriously watched it more than once in once sitting, then eventually rewatching all the highlights.

Street Fighter 2 V had a smaller budget, but I'm pretty sure it was directed by the same guy that did SF2: The Animated Movie

It's the next best thing if your a SF fighter fan who wants more SF anime.
Although the Movie is closer to cannon the series. The make some characters younger and older to mix things up.

Wonko_C

Yup, my buddy Brady (aka the LabZero UI guy) is producer on that Blu-ray project. I am helping a little here and there on it, so it's mostly his baby. The new BD will have both US and UK versions of the dub and a new version of it matched against the Japanese music+effects (we're both big fans of the movie so this stuff mattered).

In my opinion, It is absolutely the best fighting-game-to-anime adaptation. Blows away everything else, including the Fatal Fury stuff (which was decent enough, but had nowhere near the quality fight choreography).

Will it have re-translated subs? I've never seen it with subs that aren't just a transcript of the dub.

Bennettt2

While Fatal Fury The Motion Picture was more ambitious, and I also prefered its music, Street Fighter had better animations and fight scenes.

JayEH

I think all of the SF animes have been pretty good except Alpha. Turned that shit off as soon as Ryu's long lost brother was introduced.

I remember renting the Japanese VHS when it first came out and enjoyed it quite a bit even without knowing the language. Never saw the US release since I heard about the OST being changed up which sounded kinda gross.

Darkstalkers had a pretty legit OVA iirc, but I haven't seen that in ages so I probably can't speak of it with much accuracy. Loved the Fatal Fury Motion Picture though. Must have seen it ten times when that came out. It had more of a fantasy adventure feel to it versus being entirely based on the game plot like that first (mediocre) Fatal Fury OVA.

While Fatal Fury The Motion Picture was more ambitious, and I also prefered its music, Street Fighter had better animations and fight scenes.

I didn't give a shit about Fatal Fury

But then I saw the motion picture.

It's a sequel from the first 2 OAVs they produced. The style takes a bit of getting used to, but by the end I ended up loving the whole thing.

SF2 and Fatal Fury's movies are the best video game fans are going to get with anime adaptations.

That SF2: The movie Bluray trailer is from Aug2015

WHERE IS IT?

Chun Li's...canon titty

God bless

Everyone focuses on the tits, which still made it into the UK release of the movie.

...but the real victim is the ass shot, which only exists in the Japanese dub version, even the UK version censored it. Though a DVD with both versions is available in UK. I know because I own it.

Anyway, good game to movie scenes.

The entire final showdown in SFII animated movie.

Ken vs Evil Ryu in SFII V - The hadou vs hadou scene specifically.

Johnny Cage vs Scorpion in MK movie.

The Doom 3 FPS scene was great

Yeah the scene is great. Like you said "Ultra" by KMFDM fit the scene so well.

Loved the movie. I remember in the UK reading issues of EGM in the early 90s that talked about or had some updates on the animated movie but never really saw it on sale or around.

It wasn't until a UK cable station called Bravo went through a re-invention in like 1994 or 1995 and began showing Troma movies and anime at midnights and one of the first anime movies was Street Fighter II uncut and unedited. I stayed up watching it and from that shot in the beginning to the end I was hooked and fortunately Bravo repeated the film a few times over the week so I could record it on VHS and then would invite my friends over to watch it.

Mid 90s Bravo was ace, I used to just record every anime they put on and watch the next day because they were all on too late at night for young teenage me. Is where I first watched SFII too.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Everyone focuses on the tits, which still made it into the UK release of the movie.

...but the real victim is the ass shot, which only exists in the Japanese dub version, even the UK version censored it. Though a DVD with both versions is available in UK. I know because I own it.

Pretty sure the European Bluray version threw it back in. But again, it lacks the uncensored English dub.

Street Fighter 2 V wasn't bad either even if it changed a lot of stuff from the games.

Bison looks a lot better in that blue outfit.

Yeah, it was a fun ride, even though it fell to anime low budget pitfalls (reusing same animation, flashbacks of previous scenes) by the end.

Especially like how they met everyone (although some characters got left out.

Same guy that directed the Animated movie also directed SF 2V Gisaburō_Sugii

Aske

Yup, my buddy Brady (aka the LabZero UI guy) is producer on that Blu-ray project. I am helping a little here and there on it, so it's mostly his baby. The new BD will have both US and UK versions of the dub and a new version of it matched against the Japanese music+effects (we're both big fans of the movie so this stuff mattered).

In my opinion, It is absolutely the best fighting-game-to-anime adaptation. Blows away everything else, including the Fatal Fury stuff (which was decent enough, but had nowhere near the quality fight choreography).

Yep, nothing else comes close.

Tell me I'll finally be able to watch the full, uncut movie with the English dub and soundtrack. I grew up with the UK Manga Entertainment release on VHS, upgraded to the NA 2006 DVD, and only the Japanese side is completely uncut. According to Wikipedia, only one of the Australian releases contained the English dub with no cuts.

ETA on the release?

Q1 of 2016.... or Q4?

OK so we established that Chun Li vs Vega is the best fight, what's the best awkward dub one-liner?

"Ryu, the vagabond who dropped off the earth... you dare compare him to meeEEEE?"

"Hey brush head, this is not a request!"

"See you around, my friend." (said all somberly by Fei Long approximately 10 minutes after meeting Ryu for the first time and getting his ass kicked by him)

"Us Japanese fighters gotta stick together... cuz we're brothers!" (fans frantically search through their Capcom artbooks trying to see if they missed a familial connection... is Ryu's full name Ryu Honda???)

soo many more

Skilletor

OK so we established that Chun Li vs Vega is the best fight, what's the best awkward dub one-liner?

"Ryu, the vagabond who dropped off the earth... you dare compare him to meeEEEE?"

"See you around, my friend." (said all somberly by Fei Long approximately 10 minutes after meeting Ryu for the first time and getting his ass kicked by him)

"Us Japanese fighters gotta stick together... cuz we're brothers!" (fans frantically search through their Capcom artbooks trying to see if they missed a familial connection... is Ryu's full name Ryu Honda???)

soo many more

You'reprettygoodormaybeitwasjust luck!

Just a Japanese guy takin' in a fight...and REE YOU is my name?

Yep, nothing else comes close.

Tell me I'll finally be able to watch the full, uncut movie with the English dub and soundtrack. I grew up with the UK Manga Entertainment release on VHS, upgraded to the NA 2006 DVD, and only the Japanese side is completely uncut. According to Wikipedia, only one of the Australian releases contained the English dub with no cuts.

Something to keep in mind is the dub is kind of a mess... it has different lines in different scenes depending on which dub you watch (the US "Unrated" cut--used for the original Sony/Manga DVD--vs. the UK "Unrated" version, which was used for the Manga DVD rerelease). The UK Unrated had more harsh cursing, but the US Unrated one was more mild, and only a bit different from the PG-13 cut, dialogue-wise.

This BD (and DVD!) version uses the full, uncut, Japanese film footage with re-synced versions of both US Unrated and UK Unrated dub takes. And on top of it, the BD will have a track with the English dub lines paired with the Japanese BGM/effects track (an oft-requested feature). And we're shooting for even more extras than that. Stay tuned.

As for the release timing, Late Spring - Early Summer is the tentative time frame I last saw for the Blu-ray (but that's of course subject to change if it comes down to it). A bilingual DVD using the remastered video and the two Unrated dub cuts is already out though.

Oh man im in 1000% for the Bluray release!

I just finished re watching my copy. I love this movie to death. That music during the chun li/vega fight scene is amazing.

Yeah Alpha definitely borrowed a lot from this movie. Really strange how an animated movie of a game was so good that the games incorporated ideas of the movie back into the next game.

But definitely one of my old favourites, even with the US OST. I mean it had fucking Alice in Chains with Them Bones. But as for this scene, I don't know. I mean it had a lot of suspense and was awesomely done...But the Bison and Fei Long fights were epic too. As was pretty much all the rest of it.

soo many more
"For I Beheld Satan as he fell from Heaven like LIGHTING" * flash kicked*

"Bison your off da Air".

Oops wrong movie.

I fucking loved this movie when I was a kid. I remember seeing pictures of it in a gaming magazine back in the 90s and got so excited about it but without the internet back then who knew where to look for something like this. Then one day it was on the wall at Blockbuster. But someone else already rented it. So my older brother went back every so often until it was finally there and I finally got to see it.

It blew my 12 year old mind at the time. The fights were just so amazing. The first time Ryu charged up his hadoken when Sagat was charging at him gave me goosebumps. All the fights were fantastic. I loved how it seemed like they tried to apply some realism to the moves themselves. Like Fei Long has to wind up to do his flame kick. Still the best SF movie/show to date(yes, still better than Assassin's Fist though that is good as well). I haven't bought a Blu-Ray movie in probably 5-6 years but I will definitely get the Blu-Ray for this whenever it comes out.

As for Fatal Fury, didn't like the first two but really enjoyed the motion picture. The characters in that movie weren't grounded like SF though, they were way over powered. But still very fun to watch.

LifEndz

I remember renting the Japanese VHS when it first came out and enjoyed it quite a bit even without knowing the language. Never saw the US release since I heard about the OST being changed up which sounded kinda gross.

Darkstalkers had a pretty legit OVA iirc, but I haven't seen that in ages so I probably can't speak of it with much accuracy. Loved the Fatal Fury Motion Picture though. Must have seen it ten times when that came out. It had more of a fantasy adventure feel to it versus being entirely based on the game plot like that first (mediocre) Fatal Fury OVA.

I had the Japanese VHS and I thought it was much better. I wanna say the music that played during the Chun Li and Vega fight was different in the Japanese version. Plus Vega's frenzied "You cut my face" line just sounded better in Japanese.

Karsha

Kinda sad that there is no HD verison of the Fatal Fury movies :/ And sf2 V is underrated by a loot, some of the designs are a bit off but IMHO its a great series with some nice moments (Ken shoryukening Vega through the ceiling was godlike)

Ashtar

This thread make me feel like a kid again !
I liked this movie was it was no fatal fury the motion picture directed by famed martial arts director masami obari! 2 fatal fighters 2 furious battles!
But it did have better fight scenes though I remember watching this fight scene a bunch as a kid!
I remember after renting it at the local video mart or whatever it was the dude josh I think who worked there was like how he had a different cut where vega did some other stuff like lick the blood off his claw but "nothing crazy" it wasn't until years later while reading www.ign.com when they had an article about "ahem" hentai did I find out her boobies were on display!
Anyhow back to the debate fatal fury the motion picture had better voice acting (sulia!!!) better story line , mad qoutables and was a lot more cohesive which makes it the better movie...... Terry...... BOGARD!

Aske

Something to keep in mind is the dub is kind of a mess... it has different lines in different scenes depending on which dub you watch (the US "Unrated" cut--used for the original Sony/Manga DVD--vs. the UK "Unrated" version, which was used for the Manga DVD rerelease). The UK Unrated had more harsh cursing, but the US Unrated one was more mild, and only a bit different from the PG-13 cut, dialogue-wise.

This BD (and DVD!) version uses the full, uncut, Japanese film footage with re-synced versions of both US Unrated and UK Unrated dub takes. And on top of it, the BD will have a track with the English dub lines paired with the Japanese BGM/effects track (an oft-requested feature). And we're shooting for even more extras than that. Stay tuned.

As for the release timing, Late Spring - Early Summer is the tentative time frame I last saw for the Blu-ray (but that's of course subject to change if it comes down to it). A bilingual DVD using the remastered video and the two Unrated dub cuts is already out though.

You guys are magnificent. So glad this movie is getting the love it deserves. Please post links when preorders go live!

This thread make me feel like a kid again !
I liked this movie was it was no fatal fury the motion picture directed by famed martial arts director masami obari! 2 fatal fighters 2 furious battles!
But it did have better fight scenes though I remember watching this fight scene a bunch as a kid!
I remember after renting it at the local video mart or whatever it was the dude josh I think who worked there was like how he had a different cut where vega did some other stuff like lick the blood off his claw but "nothing crazy" it wasn't until years later while reading www.ign.com when they had an article about "ahem" hentai did I find out her boobies were on display!
Anyhow back to the debate fatal fury the motion picture had better voice acting (sulia!!!) better story line , mad qoutables and was a lot more cohesive which makes it the better movie...... Terry...... BOGARD!

Terry Bogard is goat! You should watch another episode on YouTube it's a short animated series with the kof cast! There's one ep that focuses on rock and terry it's pretty cool

Bennettt2

I didn't wanna say it straight out, but pretty much this.

JayEH

I forgot that this movie also has a S tier cliffhanger with
Bison about to run over Ryu with a 18 wheeler.

Top Bottom