• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 6 is releasing in 2023

Fake

And the thing about netcode are, bad netcode make characters with projectiles extremely annoying.

Yeah, I'm looking at you Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

I played SF4 on Xbox 360. ED.Honda Rank B on Xbox 360.
Real Housewives Of Atlanta Ok GIF

yurinka

Which is interesting, because there seem to be more defensive options here vs. SFV. No Stun bar is kind of like another defensive option. I'd question why there's no guard break but one of the Drive abilities seem to act as a sort of guard break in themselves (the one that can cause a wall splat).

I didn't see any air blocks or air parries, maybe some other people have though. Personally I'd take air blocks over air parries; the latter could disrupt neutral too much kind of like it did in 3S. If they do air parries they should do it more like 2I where you got one air parry and it would reset the jumping opponent doing the air parry back to the ground in neutral.

Otherwise I get worried you'll get too many jump-happy players using air parries to option select jump-ins and if they're perfect parries, not take any chip damage. At least air blocks can't really be option selected and you take chip. Unless there's more to the way parries work in this game where that wouldn't make air parries an issue.
The main gameplay related complains about SFV was the supposed lack of defensive options and tools for self expression. Seems they adressed it in SF6.

Regarding guard break, I'm not sure but I'd bet that the Drive Impact, -the new focus attack- has armor and breaks guards.

There are many defensive options announced, I think SF6 won't have air guard or air parries.

And the thing about netcode are, bad netcode make characters with projectiles extremely annoying.

Yeah, I'm looking at you Garou: Mark of the Wolves.
We already saw they addressed a ton of highly requested suggestions or stuff people complained about in SFV or other games. So we know they took note of everything.

Bad netcode was the most reported issue in SFV so pretty likely they'll aim to have a top tier netcode (which won't help if you or the other player play using a McDonalds wifi while downloading torrents).

A lot of pro players saying the game got too easy to master and the consequence was the less rewarding matches, but the problem with Unreal Engine 4 are people got tons of layers to make modification. IDK if this have anything to do with the netcode, but UE4 is an ass to mod.
No, MvCI was UE4 and same netcode, but was much better (of course the game flopped so no one cared). SFV's problem was Capcom made there own version of GGPO, they called "Kagemusha", after the positive feedback of GGPO in Third Strike Online Edition, Darkstalkers Resurrection, and Marvel Origins, but fucked something up in it's implementation resulting in 1 sided rollback. Tony Cannon, creator of GGPO, discussed it once in a GGPO panel.

The game engine (UE or RE Engine) is totally unrelated, has nothing to do with the netcode. They can use the same netcode in different game engines if desired.

Capcom didn't implement their own version of GGPO for MvCi or SFV, they did their own netcode (that Kagemusha) for both games which -like GGPO- did use a rollback based system. MvCi had a newer version that performed better.

They tweaked and improved the SFV one (it now performs way better than in that old video), but maybe was too costly to make a huge change to totally fix the issues, very likely they didn't have budget for it back then and had to wait for the next game to make a huge improvement.

Netherrealm, ARC System Works or Killer Instinct also had their own -non GGPO- rollback netcodes that performs great.

Last edited:
A lot of pro players saying the game got too easy to master and the consequence was the less rewarding matches, but the problem with Unreal Engine 4 are people got tons of layers to make modification. IDK if this have anything to do with the netcode, but UE4 is an ass to mod.

I still playing SF4 on PS4 since I jumped from SF4 on Xbox 360, can't say much about SF4 netcode, but I never seeing anyone whining about that much.
People didn't like SFIV's netcode, but when it released the only other mainstream fighter with semi tolerable netcode on consoles was BlazBlue, and maybe 360 version of VF5.
Also Street Fighter X Tekken used rollback before SFV, and it was bad too.

Last edited:

Fake

I'm showing my experience with SF4, as you know Ranked battle.. instead you're just posting memes/gifs. I was expected nothing anw.

People didn't like SFIV's netcode, but when it released the only other mainstream fighter with semi tolerable netcode on consoles was BlazBlue, and maybe 360 version of VF5.
Also Street Fighter X Tekken used rollback before SFV, and it was bad too.

SF x Tekken was a catastrophe, no doubt. Base SF4 don't started well too (Base SF4 was a spam of Ken and Sagat in the online matches), but for me at least since got updated to Super Street Fighter 4 got better and better.

But I putting a huge hope in SF6 because of this:

The game engine (UE or RE Engine) is totally unrelated, has nothing to do with the netcode.

Dude of course have to do... lol.

If your game have online interaction, netcode need to be a part of the engine inself, whatever the dev want to use or not in their game.

Last edited:
I'm showing my experience with SF4, as you know Ranked battle.. instead you're just posting memes/gifs. I was expected nothing anw.

SF x Tekken was a catastrophe, no doubt. Base SF4 don't started well too (Base SF4 was a spam of Ken and Sagat in the online matches), but for me at least since got updated to Super Street Fighter 4 got better and better.

If your game have online interaction, netcode need to be a part of the engine inself, whatever the dev want to use or not in their game.

I think that's a response to unreal engine games on PS5 (why Epic is involved), the native PS5 versions of KOFXV and GG Strive for example have more input latency than there PS4 counterparts, so people play the PS4 versions through BC on PS5 since they play slightly better. This isn't a issue with the Series X version of KOFXV however, but since Evo is now a Sony owned event they can't use Series X version of KOFXV.

Last edited:

Fake

I think that's a response to unreal engine games on PS5 (why Epic is involved), the native PS5 versions of KOFXV and GG Strive for example have more input latency than there PS4 counterparts, so people play the PS4 versions through BC on PS5 since they play slightly better. This isn't a issue with the Series X version of KOFXV however, but since Evo is now a Sony owned event they can't use Series X version of KOFXV.

Yeah, you maybe right in this one, but still input latency make a huge impact on online matches.

They really need to get right the netcode in the launch day.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'm a gamedev -mostly a programmer- since almost two decades ago. No, the netcode doesn't need to be a part of the game engine. Independently of your game engine you can use many different solutions for that online interaction offered by several companies that aren't the one of the game engine. You can also implement your own onine component, or make your own engine.

In this case, GGPO isn't attached to any engine. It's independent, can be used pretty much in any engine. And same goes with Unreal Engine, it isn'tt attached or GGPO or any other one. As an example, Capom or Netherreal implemented their own online component and did use them on Unreal Engine. Capcom's CFN online component was codenamed Kagemusha.

For SF6 Capcom will be able to use in RE Engine GGPO, Kagemusha or whatever they consider for their online interactions.

Yeah, you maybe right in this one, but still input latency make a huge impact on online matches.

They really need to get right the netcode in the launch day.
Possible future Unreal Engine input lag improvements won't affect at all SF6 because unlike SFV it won't use Unreal Engine. SF6 will use Capcom's RE Engine instead.

If thanks to these talks and investigations Sony finds something at the OS or driver levels they can optimize to improve input lag for all games and not only the Unreal Engine (independently from whatever Epic fixes and optimizes in UE) then that it would help SF6.

You don't like Taliban/Hulk Ryu??
🤣😂😸
Ryu is as bulky as he always has been in previous games
image.png

Last edited:

Fake

I'm a gamedev -mostly a programmer- since almost two decades ago. No, the netcode doesn't need to be a part of the game engine. Independently of your game engine you can use many different solutions for that online interaction offered by several companies that aren't the one of the game engine. You can also implement your own onine component, or make your own engine.

Don't need to be, but can be, right? Some engines are coming with their own netcode, don't necessary mean the game company/devs gonna used at all.
Yes, you can use different solutions rather than stick with the basic netcode. I guess devs want to explore this to tackle the netcode state at the day one launch with usually are the most stressful to the game since launch day we got many many players trying to play the game in the same instance.

In this case, GGPO isn't attached to any engine. It's independent, can be used pretty much in any engine. And same goes with Unreal Engine, it isn'tt attached or GGPO or any other one. As an example, Capom or Netherreal implemented their own online component and did use them on Unreal Engine.

For SF6 Capcom will be able to use in RE Engine GGPO, Kagemusha or whatever they consider for their online interactions.

I was talking about the UE4 integration. Can't say much about RE because I not familiar with. I guess Capcom started to use RE engine in Devil May Cry?

And lets be honest, netcode still a huge problem to fight those days. Not even CoD got that right in MW reboot. I played the BETA and the day one and take months to got better.

yurinka

Just in case you didn't notice, there are closer shots of Damd and Andore (Final Fight) on the trailer other than when appearing during gameplay with other Mad Gear gang members:
FUhkSHnXoAIFklI

FUhkZnJWQAA0x17

FUhk0r_XwAArrsx

FUhk6TDXoAAckP0

Please go like and retweet this tweet

Fun fact: Capcom had a trick implemented on SFV to let tournament players play on the training stage but streaming to the viewers of the stream view a different stage.

Last edited:

SSfox

Just in case you didn't notice, there are closer shots of Damd and Andore (Final Fight) on the trailer other than when appearing during gameplay with other Mad Gear gang members:
FUhkSHnXoAIFklI

FUhkZnJWQAA0x17

FUhk0r_XwAArrsx

FUhk6TDXoAAckP0

Fun fact: Capcom had a trick implemented on SFV to let tournament players play on the training stage but streaming to the viewers of the stream view a different stage.
I think he was an early boss in FF game, wonder if it's tease he will be a playable character.

yurinka

Don't need to be, but can be, right? Some engines are coming with their own netcode, don't necessary mean the game company/devs gonna used at all.
Yes, you can use different solutions rather than stick with the basic netcode. I guess devs want to explore this to tackle the netcode state at the day one launch with usually are the most stressful to the game since launch day we got many many players trying to play the game in the same instance.
If you develop your own game engine and implement inside your own online component yes, it can be inside. But in most cases it's a separate component to make easier to switch your game engine but keep the online component or viceversa for the next game.

I was talking about the UE4 integration. Can't say much about RE because I not familiar with. I guess Capcom started to use RE engine in Devil May Cry?

And lets be honest, netcode still a huge problem to fight those days. Not even CoD got that right in MW reboot. I played the BETA and the day one and take months to got better.
RE Engine was crated for RE VII and did use it too for RE Village, RE2R, RE3R and RE4R plus DMCV, MHR, Exoprimal, Pragmata, Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection, Capcom Arcade Stadium and now SF6.

I think he was an early boss in FF game, wonder if it's tease he will be a playable character.
Yes, Damnd is the first final boss of the first stage in Final Fight. Andore is one of the random enemies.
hqdefault.jpg

Among the random enemies there were the Andore family members, which basically were the same character with a palette swap. They had different names and the pink one was named Andore (not the same one than Andore Jr., who was the red one).
201784115915_6.jpg

Street Fighter V featured several characters only for the story mode who were fully modelled and a few even playable in that mode but not in the other ones. So who knows, they may do the same here. But I'd like to see Damnd as a normal playable character. And Haggar, obviously.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

But I'd like to see Damnd as a normal playable character. And Haggar, obviously.
Hopefully Damnd is either base or DLC, but there is a statue of Haggar in the trailer that might indicate that he is dead at the time SF6 takes place. Of course fighting game characters being dead haven't always stopped them from showing up though...

yurinka

Hopefully Damnd is either base or DLC, but there is a statue of Haggar in the trailer that might indicate that he is dead at the time SF6 takes place. Of course fighting game characters being dead haven't always stopped them from showing up though...
To make a statue of someone doesn't mean he's dead.

And well, SFV story covered different time periods, in fact its arcade mode covered all SF series (with the exception of SFEX).

In addition to this, as I remember Rose's story in SFV hinted at future time travel stuff, which would give them an excuse to allow them canon wise to bring back any dead or too old character.

It would be nice to have a character reveal at Summer fiest
I'd love to get anything asap, but full reveal at Sony event plus previous gen exclusivity pretty likely means Sony has marketing deal. And traditionally big fighting game reveals are at EVO, now owned by Sony.

Seems that the full launch roster has been leaked, so maybe they reveal more characters than initially expected at EVO.

But I think that their messaging at EVO would be more about adressing the main concerns of specially the experienced players, to highlight that:
  • The game will feature meaty content at launch in terms of characters and game modes, specially a very strong single player component going beyond everyone suggested
  • They aim to have the best netcode ever
  • It will have stong gameplay system that adresses the main concerns of SFV gameplay (little defensive and self expression options, lack of some stuff from the past like parries, universal armored attack or dash cancel)
  • Maybe to mention that EVO and Sony are talking not only to Epic to improve Unreal Engine input lag on PS5, but also with other devs like Capcom to improve input lag it in other engines like SF6's RE Engine
  • Proper gameplay shown with UI: probably a live offline match and if possible a USA vs Japan online match to showcase how good is the netcode
  • Public Alpa or Beta announced
These announcements would hype the EVO crowd and viewers way more than any character announcement or showcase.

Last edited:
The main gameplay related complains about SFV was the supposed lack of defensive options and tools for self expression. Seems they adressed it in SF6.

Regarding guard break, I'm not sure but I'd bet that the Drive Impact, -the new focus attack- has armor and breaks guards.

There are many defensive options announced, I think SF6 won't have air guard or air parries.

Yeah armor & guard break in particular for Drive Impact makes a lot of sense. I don't mind whatsoever if air parries or even air guards are gone tho; encourages more ground play and that's particularly what separates "core" Street Fighter from offshoots like the VS series.

I’m happy to see Capcom gave Chun an absurdly fat ass again. Her proportions are much more realistic compared to V even though her thighs are insanely big. Here’s to hoping my girl Cammy keeps her cheeks at the same size.

Lovin' the juicy booty 🤤🍑. But, they might have to work on some of the glute-to-thigh skeletal/mesh joints or something because some shots it looks like her glute disappears and her thigh folds making it look unnatural, like her glute & thigh are one seamless muscle or something.

No matter the position even when she has her grounded leg vertical and she's leaning into a kind of 90-degree angle for a kick, the glute muscle should be clearly visible at all times. Especially in Chun's case since she trains a lot so her glutes should be clearly defined (which they are in most shots, but there's a specific position for one of her moves where it looks like her glutes disappear. There's a post ITT showing it).

Please go like and retweet this tweet

Nah; like R Reizo Ryuu said they serve a purpose. They allow players to make note of spacing for attacks that way they'll know their ranges better. Also helps with things like micro-stepping. Those are the big reasons pro players like playing on the training stage.

yurinka yurinka If that 'trick' you said was actually implemented then I guess pro players have been playing on the training stage all this time in tournaments. It would make a lot of sense considering the advantages (and both players can benefit from those advantages equally so no unfair situation presented there).

yurinka

Yeah armor & guard break in particular for Drive Impact makes a lot of sense. I don't mind whatsoever if air parries or even air guards are gone tho; encourages more ground play and that's particularly what separates "core" Street Fighter from offshoots like the VS series.
This game will feature parries, armored attacks and an alpha counter/v-reversal. Meaning that defense while in ground is going to be huge and that projectile characters will be pretty fucked if that Drive bar gets filled too fast.

To add air defensive options would be too much for projectile characters and would make the game too defensive.

In terms of mechanics the game seems to be a greatest hits of the different SF series, taking stuff from all of them. They announced stuff from SFA, SF3, SFIV and SFV. They should keep some stuff like in SF2, and I think no air parries and no air guard will be one of them to make the game not that defensive and give more priority to projectiles and anti airs.

yurinka yurinka If that 'trick' you said was actually implemented then I guess pro players have been playing on the training stage all this time in tournaments. It would make a lot of sense considering the advantages (and both players can benefit from those advantages equally so no unfair situation presented there).
As far as I remember was implemented for online tournaments as a patch to mostly improve lag because for some weird reason some stages added extra lag, something that doesn't make sense since the netcode doesn't send stage related info and the game runs at steady 60fps. So maybe they don't use it anymore now that offline tournaments are back.

Last edited:
This game will feature parries, armored attacks and an alpha counter/v-reversal. Meaning that defense while in ground is going to be huge and that projectile characters will be pretty fucked if that Drive bar gets filled too fast.

To add air defensive options would be too much for projectile characters and would make the game too defensive.

In terms of mechanics the game seems to be a greatest hits of the different SF series, taking stuff from all of them. They announced stuff from SFA, SF3, SFIV and SFV. They should keep some stuff like in SF2, and I think no air parries and no air guard will be one of them to make the game not that defensive and give more priority to projectiles and anti airs.

Yeah, makes sense with all that considered. 3S IMO had a big problem with making a lot of projectile characters feel heavily nerfed because of the way not only regular parries, but Red Parries and Air Parries worked.

It really hurt chars like Remy (one of my favorites), since they have extremely high Stun anyway and don't even have a real cross-up (I think I landed a jumping MK or HK as a crossup exactly once in all the time I've played 3S).

As far as I remember was implemented for online tournaments as a patch to mostly improve lag because for some weird reason some stages added extra lag, something that doesn't make sense since the netcode doesn't send stage related info and the game runs at steady 60fps. So maybe they don't use it anymore now that offline tournaments are back.

Oh ok. Well, I guess they don't because the Combo Breaker tournament they just had, at least for the matches I saw yesterday, were all on the training stage. So they might have disabled the implementation for online tournaments too, otherwise I think they'd want viewers to see stages other than the training one especially for Grand Finals.

The removal of that implementation probably came when they reduced some of the lag; I think at one point the game had like 8-9 built-in frames of lag which was ridiculous. They got it down to 3 frames but those couldn't be removed because all of the game's frame data was built with a built-in 3 frame buffer in mind. One of the things they did to make the game easier for newcomers (might've also done that with the netcode in mind).

SSfox

To make a statue of someone doesn't mean he's dead.

And well, SFV story covered different time periods, in fact its arcade mode covered all SF series (with the exception of SFEX).

In addition to this, as I remember Rose's story in SFV hinted at future time travel stuff, which would give them an excuse to allow them canon wise to bring back any dead or too old character.

I'd love to get anything asap, but full reveal at Sony event plus previous gen exclusivity pretty likely means Sony has marketing deal. And traditionally big fighting game reveals are at EVO, now owned by Sony.

Seems that the full launch roster has been leaked, so maybe they reveal more characters than initially expected at EVO.

But I think that their messaging at EVO would be more about adressing the main concerns of specially the experienced players, to highlight that:
  • The game will feature meaty content at launch in terms of characters and game modes, specially a very strong single player component going beyond everyone suggested
  • They aim to have the best netcode ever
  • It will have stong gameplay system that adresses the main concerns of SFV gameplay (little defensive and self expression options, lack of some stuff from the past like parries, universal armored attack or dash cancel)
  • Maybe to mention that EVO and Sony are talking not only to Epic to improve Unreal Engine input lag on PS5, but also with other devs like Capcom to improve input lag it in other engines like SF6's RE Engine
  • Proper gameplay shown with UI: probably a live offline match and if possible a USA vs Japan online match to showcase how good is the netcode
  • Public Alpa or Beta announced
These announcements would hype the EVO crowd and viewers way more than any character announcement or showcase.

Hum who knows, i don't think so tbh tho, we say character reveals in both Summer fiest and MS show. Of course this don't exclude Evo which pretty sure will have its reveals. Game can come Q1 2023 and supposed to have +18 characters reveals until then, so it would totally make sens.

After i see the Cammy super i really feel optimistic about this game, Can't wait to see the rest of roster.

yurinka

Oh ok. Well, I guess they don't because the Combo Breaker tournament they just had, at least for the matches I saw yesterday, were all on the training stage. So they might have disabled the implementation for online tournaments too, otherwise I think they'd want viewers to see stages other than the training one especially for Grand Finals.

The removal of that implementation probably came when they reduced some of the lag; I think at one point the game had like 8-9 built-in frames of lag which was ridiculous. They got it down to 3 frames but those couldn't be removed because all of the game's frame data was built with a built-in 3 frame buffer in mind. One of the things they did to make the game easier for newcomers (might've also done that with the netcode in mind).
I'm not sure because I didn't see it but I'd bet Combo Breaker has been played offline. It hasn't been an online Capcom tournament.

Regarding the lag you mention, this is the lag introduced by the game, the OS and game engine when playing offline. On top of this, there is the lag introduced by internet, the online platform (like PSN) and the netcode of the game when playing online. For some weird reason when playing online some claim (it can be totally false) that some stages added more lag than others.

Last edited:

SSfox

I don't want to be that guy, but they should have started to work on this issue long time ago, maybe Capcom deciding to work with their RE engine is what made Epic to finally move their asses?? but anyway...

a6fb1897-91bb-4d84-a4a1-e03a0721de4a_text.gif

Last edited:

nbkicker

I wouldnt be suprised if at summer game fest we get one or two more character reveals, although after the leaks i bet capcom are kicking themselves cause maybe there where gonna do charachter reveals every month leading upto the games release

nbkicker

Streetfighter instagram page firing out some info about this game, apparently now there gameface feature during the vs screen you can press directions buttons to make yr charachter scowl or act all smug etc , looks like name of stage is metro city downtown. Looks like part of loading screens is now charachter walking onto stage while stats pop up, can deffently see before long a full charachter select to end of match being posted

Last edited:
Streetfighter instagram page firing out some info about this game, apparently now there gameface feature during the vs screen you can press directions buttons to make yr charachter scowl or act all smug etc , looks like name of stage is metro city downtown. Looks like part of loading screens is now charachter walking onto stage while stats pop up, can deffently see before long a full charachter select to end of match being posted

OpEe5hX.png

I'm not sure because I didn't see it but I'd bet Combo Breaker has been played offline. It hasn't been an online Capcom tournament.

Regarding the lag you mention, this is the lag introduced by the game, the OS and game engine when playing offline. On top of this, there is the lag introduced by internet, the online platform (like PSN) and the netcode of the game when playing online. For some weird reason when playing online some claim (it can be totally false) that some stages added more lag than others.

Yeah, Combo Breaker was offline this year, but the recent CPT Midwest tournament was online. The online tournaments aren't as exciting IMO.

I've seen a lot of pro players switch out from playing on certain stages like the Dubai one with the flying airplane whenever it's selected, so I'm guessing certain stages introducing additional lag is in fact a real thing. Which is ridiculous, and hopefully something they completely avoid with SFVI.

SF6 appears here, so maybe...

Aren't Capcom doing their own event? I'm guessing any further gameplay or stuff will be at their own presentation.

Reminds me of her
FURiSjkXwCAW0Sd

God bless Twitch & Instagram (and Onlyfans).

Top Bottom