• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streaming Futuremark looks Bleak as Cyberpunk fails to revitalize Stadia.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Cyberpunk seemed like the perfect killer app for Stadia with last gen struggling but weeks after launch, Stadia name has all but Vanished.

Digital Foundry was supposed to cover it but I guess it's not priority.

Most reviews went to Pc version & didn't care about Stadia as well.

Stream future looks Bleak as Gaming is way more demanding then movies or music & requires user to input.

Jethalal

Banned
I think only a high-profile exclusive can save Stadia otherwise I would prefer an established player over it like Microsoft.
However, I do think streaming would gain traction soon specially as Amazon is entering the market. They can afford to throw as much money as they want and can gain consumers with low price if they wish to.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Cyberpunk seemed like the perfect killer app for Stadia with last gen struggling but weeks after launch, Stadia name has all but Vanished.

How can a third party game be a killer app? Did anyone expect it to run smooth?

Stream future looks Bleak as Gaming is way more demanding then movies or music & requires user to input.

You make it sound like it wasn't obvious. I said that since the beginning.

Termite

I mean, there are simply far too many gamers worldwide like myself for whom the service simply doesn't work due to low bandwidth and data caps. It can't find any momentum in this kind of environment.

We just aren't there yet with internet infrastructure. These streaming companies keep jumping the gun, and they do so because they have huge server farm arrays that they want to find some use for while they sit idle.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Been using stadia for a week or two now. I like the service but the games are definitely lacking.

Their free games offered for pro subs is pretty terrible. When I'm done with cyberpunk I'll probably move on.

kaczmar

Streaming may become the defacto standard in a few years, but isn't there today. Cyberpunk is not the kind of game that moves the needle in any direction.

Fredrik

Thought it was supposed to be one of the best ways to play? I never saw any head to heads with it, though.
I heard it was just after PC but better than consoles until the nextgen patch arrives.
It’s after Geforce Now too, in theory at least, but the queues with GFN makes it one of the worst versions. I’ve been a GFN subscriber since day 1 and tried two days to launch it until I gave up started playing it locally on PC instead.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Until 5G becomes a thing worldwide, game streaming isn't going anywhere.
The magic of 5G.

I get 150-200 megabits... works great for streaming video, since it can buffer and latency doesn't really matter..

My pings to Google's servers? 100ms higher than my home internet lol

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
The magic of 5G.

I get 150-200 megabits... works great for streaming video, since it can buffer and latency doesn't really matter..

My pings to Google's servers? 100ms higher than my home internet lol
5G is new tech, every new piece of tech gets progressively better with time. It's not magic, it's just progress in due time.

Jada

Banned
Considering how bad CP2077’s word of mouth is, why would Google think this would revitalize its struggling platform?

And, I’m not ready to write off streaming because Google’s limp entrance into the industry didn’t take off. Xcloud and PSNow seem to be doing fine.

Maybe it’s Stadia’s price model? Just a hunch.

TransTrender

Gold Member
It’s after Geforce Now too, in theory at least, but the queues with GFN makes it one of the worst versions. I’ve been a GFN subscriber since day 1 and tried two days to launch it until I gave up started playing it locally on PC instead.

Meanwhile GeForce Now ran out of monthly subscriptions and are only doing 6 months at a time now.
Hmm, interesting. This is the first I've heard of queues for GFN and about changing their sub options.

How is CP2077 on GFN?
Also what about these queues? Is it like ye olde WoW queues where you're waiting for someone to sign off to open a slot?
Do they still have time limits for GFN?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The Stadia and GeForce Now versions of Cyberpunk rank above consoles from what I’ve seen. Many people here refunded their shitty PS4 versions to play on Stadia.

RyRy93

ITT: People that think cloud gaming in 2020 is comparable to OnLive 10 years ago, these services aren't perfect yet but can provide a better experience than last gen consoles and are way more convenient.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

According to the only quick review I could find, the Stadia version is actually somewhere between the Series S and Series X version - no ray tracing and basically low to medium settings at 1080p. Only GeForce Now offers RT.

I think streaming will take off in a year or two but Stadia is just dumb at every level from pricing to performance to marketing.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Xcloud and PSNow seem to be doing fine.

Maybe it’s Stadia’s price model? Just a hunch.
They aren't bashed like Stadia is (and the pricing model is a part of that) but we don't really have good evidence of commercial success from either. PSNow floundered until Sony added game downloads, and still isn't exactly lighting wall street on fire. xCloud... is in beta essentially, and Android only for now. I don't think MS has even mentioned usage numbers?

Stadia definitely gets the most hate though lol

Warablo

Well first, you gotta battle big bad Comcast/Xfinity for data caps across the US. Let alone support world wide. Then not to mention price and lag/experience.

Hmm, interesting. This is the first I've heard of queues for GFN and about changing their sub options.

How is CP2077 on GFN?
Also what about these queues? Is it like ye olde WoW queues where you're waiting for someone to sign off to open a slot?
Do they still have time limits for GFN?
Speaking purely for myself as someone who uses one of the three Chicago servers the only time I've ever had to wait in a queue was when some of the servers were broken. YMMV though. I think it plays great. High works most of the time but if it gets really busy I need to put it down to medium. I play with my 8bit do sne30 pro+ and I honestly don't notice anymore lag than playing with a ps4 controller on a ps4. I've put 40 hours in on GeForce Now using my shield tv 2019 edition and plan to beat the game.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I heard it was just after PC but better than consoles until the nextgen patch arrives.
I am a founder/member/partner or whatever and the longest queue I have had is around 3 minutes what set up are you using? I am using a 2020 dell laptop, 1440p display and using a physical plug for internet connection.

I do see several people talking about queues but I am just not seeing them. Hell, my FFXIV Queue is longer than GFN.

Maybe OP has terrible internet or something but the only atreaming platform I can complain about is X-cloud. Before last week it was great but I have just been getting tons of disconnects recently.

Stadia, PSNow, Luna, gfn.....they all work great for me.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Well first, you gotta battle big bad Comcast/Xfinity for data caps across the US. Let alone support world wide. Then not to mention price and lag/experience.
Pay the $20 extra per month. I pay $118.46 a month for the Comcast line out in my office. No data caps and 1gb down 1gb up (the 1gb up is suspect....more like 650mbp up).

In the house I pay AT&T $114.33 for unlimited power line and some 19 channel cable pack to qualify for unlimited data use.

~$120 per month for internet is extremely fair in my opinion (but I am in a major city here in the US...so that should factor in in terms of availability).

NullZ3r0

Banned

Digital Foundry was supposed to cover it but I guess it's not priority.

Most reviews went to Pc version & didn't care about Stadia as well.

Cheap dimwits at Google refused to give a free trial for people to try out.

Grinchy

Banned
The only people who want game streaming to succeed are corporations who don't want you to own anything and idiots who can't understand why it will always suck.

Derktron

Banned
People like them really want Cloud Gaming to fail so damn bad. They are the ones who are the ones who refuse to see changes to the gaming industry. Also to point out people like them think it will replace gaming when that is not true. That won't be a thing till 10 years. When ISP is good enough.

Woggleman

It does indeed play well on Stadia but it chews through data. Most people don't want to pay for Stadia then pay more for unlimited data for one game. Their selection is not great and by next summer Cyberpunk will run perfectly well on other platforms.

No game is going to revitalize Stadia until they change their business model. Let's look at their competition and compare real quick:

• Geforce Now: More powerful hardware than Stadia, can be played on any PC/MAC/Android/IOS/Shield/Chromebook, $5 more per month than Stadia, and can play a lot of your Steam library. The last point is the most important here, as Steam has a huge amount of games and they are often inexpensive.
  • Gamepass Streaming: Weaker hardware than Stadia currently and runs games at 720p, but will be much stronger sometime next year when they move to Series X blades. Can only be played on android currently, but will be available on PC and IOS devices early next year, and on TV apps at a future undisclosed date. Costs $5 per month more than Stadia Pro but is part of Gamepass Ultimate, which gets you access to over 300 games on PC, XBOX, and mobile. Has a lot of Xbox exclusives included with day and date release, which will only increase now that Microsoft is running 23 studios.
  • PSNow: Hardware definitely needs an upgrade and resolution is also low, is playable on any PC, but is half the price of Stadia Pro at $5 per month. Has over 800 games on demand, including a bunch of Sony exclusives from PS1 to PS4.
  • Amazon Luna: Running games at 1080p/60fps it is technically less powerful than Stadia or Geforce Now, but better than PSNOW or Gamepass Streaming. It can be played on PC, Android, IOS, or Fire TV stick. Is cheaper than Stadia at $5.99 per month. Includes 76 games with the subscription currently. Does not have any exclusives.
Hardware: Stadia is 2nd out of 5 currently in terms of hardware. Geforce Now includes current Nvidia graphics cards, and kills it in power. Stadia blades are built on last gen AMD APUs so as soon as Xbox upgrades their blades they will be 3 out of 5. I imagine PSNOW will also upgrade to PS5 blades, but I have heard nothing about it yet so who knows. Same with Luna, nothing is known. Stadia does not have the hardware crown, and will soon be dropping back.

Access: Stadia is 3rd out of 5 currently in terms of access, with the ability to play on PC, a select group of android mobile devices, or on a TV by buying a Chromecast ultra. Both Amazon Luna and Geforce Now have more options, both allowing play on IOS devices, and Geforce Now also allowing Mac/Chromebooks/Shield. Gamepass Streaming will soon be compatible with PC and IOS, but TV is unknown. PSNow future accessibility plans are unknown. Again, Stadia is not the accessibility leader, and is not showing a push to dominate this area.

Pricing: This is where Stadia gets murdered. Though they have a free tier you are unable to play any games unless you buy them at full price on their store, also you are limited to 1080p gaming in those games. If you signup for Stadia Pro then you get access to around 30 games and you can play in 4k quality with higher framerates (sometimes). But at $10 a month it is 3 out of 5 in cost and, in my opinion, worst of all of them in value. You get no exclusives, a limited amount of games, and you still have to pay full price for any major release you want to play (separate from the subscription cost).

Library: On just straight up available games, Stadia is 4th out of 5. Geforce NOW gives you the largest potential library, followed by PSNOW, then Gamepass Streaming, then finally Stadia. On the other hand for $4 less per month with Luna you get access to more than twice as many games to stream without having to buy them separately, so Stadia might even lose this depending on your perspective.

TLDR: Stadia is winning at exactly nothing at the moment. They have the wonkiest pricing/value system of any of these products, have very limited support from game developers so far, don't own any studios to push their own exclusives, and are about to get stomped hardware wise as soon as Microsoft and Sony upgrade their server blades. They need to decide what they are and what they want to be very soon and push much harder in whatever that direction is.

Last edited:

Murdoch

I tried to play on Stadia yesterday but the platform was offline, I presume they've pulled the plug already?

Also the fact that there's no paywall to play online and you just buy the games you want to play doesn't sit well with me. It's not a model that's worked in the past, and certainly won't work now.

This is going straight to the Google graveyard 😂😂

Streaming is just an inferior method of playing games compared to dedicated hardware, due to the immutable laws of physics.

It might have a niche as the cheap and nasty budget option for those that can't afford a proper gaming machine, but that's not what the people investing in it want, so I doubt it will be more than a footnote in history.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
People like them really want Cloud Gaming to fail so damn bad. They are the ones who are the ones who refuse to see changes to the gaming industry. Also to point out people like them think it will replace gaming when that is not true. That won't be a thing till 10 years. When ISP is good enough.
🤷‍♂️

Woman7

Banned
Just look at how much effort a console maker has to put in to attract consumers with high profile exclusives. What are the must buy exclusives on gStadia?

Cyberpunkd

Stadia problem is the fact that the market it targets - high fidelity gaming without the need for a PC - either doesn’t exist or is too small to be viable:

1. People wanting fidelity do not mind spending a few thousand on a gaming PC
2. People that do not care so much buy console for ease of use, not a PC

Moreover the limiting factors are just too many:
1. Need high speed Internet without data caps
2. Need to buy games
3. If Stadia shuts down you lose access to all your games - given Google willingness to kill products this is a serious danger

The main reason I choose to use GeForce Now over Stadia is I don't have to worry about losing my games if Google gives up. GeForce Now uses your Steam/Epic/Uplay/and soon GoG libraries so if it goes under I'll still have my games.

Top Bottom