• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streamer was bullied for playing Hogwarts to the point where his girlfriend was crying

nani17

are in a big trouble
I sub to Girlfriend Reviews on Youtube they're pretty entertaining but when I saw this last night I was stunned. I'm glad it's going viral today.

It shows how horrible people can be over a game they don't like because of their views. Yes, the internet is full of people that say crap to each other but these two were targeted. They're plenty of Twitter posts from supposed fans claiming they were disappointed by them for just playing the game.

Another thing a website appeared featuring a tracker to check which streamers have played the game. Allowing those to head to those channels and spam horrible messages.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
New age bullying.

It’s fine for folks who want to boycott the game because they hate the author.

It’s not fine to harass others over a videogame.

Edit: Furthermore, I will not listen to a bunch of chuds decrying my lack of morals or some shit over Hogwart’s Legacy while they rock Overwatch avatars (fuck Hong Kong apparently) and play on their Nintendo Switches (fuck the Uighurs apparently).

Last edited:

Jennings

I love Girlfriend Reviews on Youtube, always such great content. Unfortunately they primarily play on a different platform from me and they play a lot of games that I haven't/can't play or know much about going in, but all their videos are highly entertaining nonetheless and they put a lot of work into them.

If that audio is from their stream or something then fuck every single person that bullied them. They're good people.

Last edited:

manfestival

It is just so bizarre what has come out of this.
I'm not sure that you actually CAN disable chat on Twitch. I think the most you can do is restrict it to subscribers only.
There are ways around it. Followers only, subs only, verified accounts, and even stupid stuff like emotes only

skyfall

giphy.gif

Pejo

Anyone find it kinda chilling that people are making their minds up about other people, completely based on a list on a website.

Like they didn't talk to them, watch them, interact with them at all, but if you see a name on a list - instant hate.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Streisand Effect in full force. 30m copies sold incoming.

We don't want people to talk about this thing, so we've made a website to track people talking about this thing, so we can talk about the people who are talking about the thing we don't want people to talk about.

brian regan what GIF

Last edited:

ManaByte

Anyone find it kinda chilling that people are making their minds up about other people, completely based on a list on a website.

Like they didn't talk to them, watch them, interact with them at all, but if you see a name on a list - instant hate.

Pretty soon they'll be demanding people who own Hogwarts Legacy have to wear an armband so they can be identified wherever they go.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But they want to engage with your fans. They eventually locked it to subs only but I believe one or two had a few things to say but they were eventually banned
I mean, you don't have to in this instance. But yeah, set it to subs only and moderate the clowns.

I'm not sure that you actually CAN disable chat on Twitch. I think the most you can do is restrict it to subscribers only.
I think you can close the window and not see it. Or just don't look at it.

Last edited:
I am saying this again and again, those fuckers are not your targeted audience.

Those blue hair fuckers are probably too broke to even sub you on twitch.

They are just some random haters with no life, using the tracker site to entitle themselves to "legitimately" be aggressive to others. Just ask them to fuxk off.

ManaByte

I am saying this again and again, those fuckers are not your targeted audience.

Those blue hair fuckers are probably too broke to even sub you on twitch.

They are just some random haters with no life, using the tracker site to entitle themselves to "legitimately" be aggressive to others. Just ask them to fuxk off.

If I were a streamer I'd immediately be contacting a lawyer about that tracker site.

I like Girlfriend Reviews but come the hell on, you are a content creator in 2023. Crying over mean people in chat? How embarrassing.

Permaban every single person in chat and keep streaming. I'm sure plenty of subscribers would even volunteer to mod the chat for them. Every time I see shit like this, I marvel at how soft we've become.

It's no different than the person who made that site that showed people where people who donated to a certain President lived. That got shut down by a judge real fast and the person who made it got screwed.

It's a site made to cause harm to others, just like that President donation tracker was.
Providing someone's address is not on the same level as this.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I like Girlfriend Reviews but come the hell on, you are a content creator in 2023. Crying over mean people in chat? How embarrassing.

Permaban every single person in chat and keep streaming. I'm sure plenty of subscribers would even volunteer to mod the chat for them. Every time I see shit like this, I marvel at how soft we've become.
Seems harsh. I'm sure they're used to chat being fun and supportive.

MiguelItUp

Why do these idiots keep engaging with the mob? Just insta-ban those that are trolling in the chat. Problem solved. Stop caving to the Mind Virus™️.
I don't think they were expecting to get the reactions they did, and when you're unprepared, you get thrown off. The degree they were receiving them was probably completely new to them as well. I can't really blame them.

I mean, I don't think that's a fair thing to say. Every person is different, regardless if they're a content creator or not. For instance, SHE was crying and he wasn't. Moving to subscribers only was the swiftest action for them to take, and I'm sure it helped quite a bit.

Tams

On one hand, this is vile behaviour and some bans need to be dished out.

On the other hand, who the fuck cries because some random person on the Internet, almost certainly not using their real name and living in their mum's basement said something nasty?

Snowflakes all a-fucking round.

Edit: Tangentially, I was just talking to a friend who likes games and things like Harry Potter, but isn't into online culture. Even he brought up the 'boycott'. This absolute nonsense surround Hogwarts Legacy has leached into the normal world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom