• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ManofOne

Plus Member
Any chance the CDC mask guidance has a positive effect for the markets tomorrow or does this accelerate inflation because the economy is about to come roaring back?

Summer has the highest inflationary periods historically. So I think what they expecting is everything rise now and then taper off (in the shape off a "7").

That's the perfect scenario. However, if it keeps increasing at a rate above 0.3% MoM (on average). Markets will be fucked bc FED will be forced to pull rates forward.

Banks will profit either from lending income or trading income.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If you got a good margin of safety then I personally won't sell XLF. Its average rate of return (not including inflaiton) is 33.0% per annum.

I've held it since 2013.

Yeh I wont sell XLF if there's still decent potential for upside but if that's one of the sectors that stands to gain from inflation going forward then I might as well double down a bit. Rather than bring my average on XLF up I'd rather buy a little bit of something like FAS and ride it up for the next couple of months. If it decides to turn sour for a sustained period of time then I'll simply switch over to FAZ.

Any chance the CDC mask guidance has a positive effect for the markets tomorrow or does this accelerate inflation because the economy is about to come roaring back?

Accelerate inflation I would think.

GHG

Gold Member

Fisker and Foxconn Sign Framework Agreements for Project PEAR; Confirming Manufacturing to Start in U.S. From Q4 2023

• Breakthrough new segment vehicle to be jointly developed and sold under the Fisker brand into global markets including North America, Europe, China, and India.
  • Manufacturing to commence first in the United States with several locations under consideration by Fisker and Foxconn. Other global manufacturing sites under study for future production, supporting projected annual volumes of more than 250,000 units across multiple sites.
  • Program milestones already achieved including exterior design freeze. Program critical sourcing underway, including securing chipset and semiconductor contracts through Foxconn.
  • Project PEAR will enter the market with a starting price of less than $30,000, before incentives.

Project "PEAR" and Foxconn?

GIF by Identity

Fisker and Foxconn Sign Framework Agreements for Project PEAR; Confirming Manufacturing to Start in U.S. From Q4 2023

• Breakthrough new segment vehicle to be jointly developed and sold under the Fisker brand into global markets including North America, Europe, China, and India.
  • Manufacturing to commence first in the United States with several locations under consideration by Fisker and Foxconn. Other global manufacturing sites under study for future production, supporting projected annual volumes of more than 250,000 units across multiple sites.
  • Program milestones already achieved including exterior design freeze. Program critical sourcing underway, including securing chipset and semiconductor contracts through Foxconn.
  • Project PEAR will enter the market with a starting price of less than $30,000, before incentives.

Project "PEAR" and Foxconn?

GIF by Identity

Nice, was wondering why it shot up after hours. Grabbed more shares under $10 today and a few days ago.

This went from $17 to $31 on the last Foxconn news

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Nice, was wondering why it shot up after hours. Grabbed more shares under $10 today and a few days ago.

Yep I got in at $15 but have been hesitant to average down because of the SPAC factor. Will see what it does tomorrow but there are a ton of bag holders in this stock now and the market is much less exuberant than it was a few months ago. The only thing that could make this pop like it did before would be strong rumours of a partnership with Apple (which I do think there is a possibility of happening).

In it for the long run though, if the money I have in this company goes to zero then so be it, it's part of the risk/reward with some of these companies.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
A friend is trying to get me to buy some AMC stock, is that a good bet right now? I don't typically mess around with stocks, but the numbers he's throwing at me are pretty tempting, but I hate the gamble of it all.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
A friend is trying to get me to buy some AMC stock, is that a good bet right now? I don't typically mess around with stocks, but the numbers he's throwing at me are pretty tempting, but I hate the gamble of it all.

No it's not, unless you like losing money.

There are far better ways to enter the stock market than to buy what is essentially a meme stock.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

First time I heard of a Fisker electric car. What's the underlying tech that runs it? I'm assuming that you'd have to go to one of their centers to get it repaired or maintained.

First time I heard of a Fisker electric car. What's the underlying tech that runs it? I'm assuming that you'd have to go to one of their centers to get it repaired or maintained.

Lithium-ion battery it seems. They were working for a solid state battery and gave up. Their first car will be an SUV. I’m assuming repairs/delivery will be similar to Tesla in that regard.

This is a risky play. Fisker has failed before, but this time around he got a billion dollars to play with via a SPAC. The Ocean is supposed to start rolling out Q3 2022.

They do have deals in place with Magna for the manufacturing so they are outsourcing their work. The benefit there is their costs for production should be fixed and they won’t go through the initial fit and finish issues Tesla had rolling out the model 3.

It seems like he’s trying to model this like Apple.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
AMC stock popped in February at $24/share due to that meme craziness.

I doubt you'll ever see it that high again, especially with the surge in popularity of streaming services.

AMC stock popped in February at $24/share due to that meme craziness.

I doubt you'll ever see it that high again, especially with the surge in popularity of streaming services.
It will go much much higher.

This is a technical problem, they shorted so much and thought they wouldnt have to give back the naked shares if the company went bankrupt. With the recent surge in price, the comapny is now not only out of the risk of bankrupcy, but guaranteed that it will survive at least until 2022, and this is not considering the opening of movie theatres, the stock should stabilize after the squeeze at 30$.

This will be the last Shortsqueeze like this, because darkpools will be closed and companies will never again be shorted beyond 100% of the float.

I've been on AMC even before the first gamma squeeze, which was nothing compared to whats coming, the stock is currently the most shorted stock in the market, we estimate that there is 3-4 times the float in short.

Not financial advice, but considering the very very specific situation, its def worth a look.

Idk nothing and my wife less.

she bought 3 months ago for first time and she almost double it all. She spent 20.000 usd and got back 32.000. That’s 12.000 in less than 3 months.
She already check it out and bough new one with half of the gain 6.000.
And she’s so lucky, bought it cheap, sell it expensive and now is back to be cheap lol.

that keep me thinking… those people who bought 200k or more . 🤑 🤑 🤑

zeorhymer

It will go much much higher.

This is a technical problem, they shorted so much and thought they wouldnt have to give back the naked shares if the company went bankrupt. With the recent surge in price, the comapny is now not only out of the risk of bankrupcy, but guaranteed that it will survive at least until 2022, and this is not considering the opening of movie theatres, the stock should stabilize after the squeeze at 30$.

This will be the last Shortsqueeze like this, because darkpools will be closed and companies will never again be shorted beyond 100% of the float.

I've been on AMC even before the first gamma squeeze, which was nothing compared to whats coming, the stock is currently the most shorted stock in the market, we estimate that there is 3-4 times the float in short.

Not financial advice, but considering the very very specific situation, its def worth a look.
I agree it's worth a look. The problem is with inflation around the corner coupled with non existent movies from Hollywood. There is an appetite for movies, just look at Demon Slayer, but since there's nothing in the pipeline for a while, expect AMC to be flat for a while. It'll be a year or so out until AMC can get back positive earnings.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
First sweet day in weeks. +2.2%.

Need 4 more of these to get back to my high! lol. Been a crap two week stretch. And the worst kind too. That shitty slow bleed way which IMO is worse that big drops. At least with a big drop it might make you take action. Slow bleeders you kinda just sit there death of a thousand cuts.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Today was too good to be true, still keeping a lot of cash on the sidelines.

Expecting more major pullbacks next week.

Last edited:
There are thousands of factories like that in China's Guangdong province making desks, sneakers, sex toys, and all kinds of junk.
Tesla being in China will one day bite them in the ass, the CCP is not loyal to outsiders. I like the fact that this one is in Austin, Texas with the Cybertruck actively runing around for testing. you can see the Cybertruck flying down that dirt all coming towards the camera at 2:36 in the youtube video I posted

Last edited:
I read that and was thinking, "What is this guy talking about? They're not below $600"

I was so wrapped up in my own positions during the week, that I didn't do my normal check-ins on TSLA.
God Damn!
I get it, with so much going on it is easy to miss. I seriously wish I had the capatol to buy more. I still have no idea why FUD works on Tesla.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

GHG

Gold Member
Tesla has no business being below $600

Not to call you or anybody else out on this, but on what basis?

I get it, with so much going on it is easy to miss. I seriously wish I had the capatol to buy more. I still have no idea why FUD works on Tesla.

Please don't, not at these prices. I'm absolutely certain that if you have patience you will be able to get in at a much better price over the next 12 months. That would give yourself a chance of growing your capital over the next few years rather than staring down the barrel of share price stagnation or at worst a huge loss that you have to hold in the hope that Tesla do in fact grow as much as many people are speculating they will over the next 3-5 years.

I'm all for paying for future potential and growth but there comes a point where you need to be sensible about it. Sorry, but I just can't get behind people throwing obscene amounts of money into a a stock with a P/E ratio of 600+.

Not to call you or anybody else out on this, but on what basis?

Please don't, not at these prices. I'm absolutely certain that if you have patience you will be able to get in at a much better price over the next 12 months. That would give yourself a chance of growing your capital over the next few years rather than staring down the barrel of share price stagnation or at worst a huge loss that you have to hold in the hope that Tesla do in fact grow as much as many people are speculating they will over the next 3-5 years.

I'm all for paying for future potential and growth but there comes a point where you need to be sensible about it. Sorry, but I just can't get behind people throwing obscene amounts of money into a a stock with a P/E ratio of 600+.

No worries what I buy is long term 5-10 years, I would be happy to buy TSLA below $100 if I could have back then. I place most of my money on stocks $50 and below.

So yeah I agree with you that buying at those prices is just because I like what the company is doing. So I am no expert with sheets of numbers to make a point here.

BigBooper

It's the Wallstreetbets gambling research. Same with PLTR. We all saw how many people claimed it would be $30+ based on wishes and dreams. It can definitely pay off if you realize what it is and get out when the getting's good. I made 800% return on the GME hype train.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
No worries what I buy is long term 5-10 years, I would be happy to buy TSLA below $100 if I could have back then. I place most of my money on stocks $50 and below.

So yeah I agree with you that buying at those prices is just because I like what the company is doing. So I am no expert with sheets of numbers to make a point here.

If it's something you want for the long term then I'd suggest you take the time to do some analysis and work out what entry price makes sense based on the %gain you want to achieve from investing in the stock and then just wait.

I know it can be difficult because FOMO will kick in every day you see the stock do well (we've all been there) but trust me, your returns will be much better if you take a disciplined approach. Unfortunately there is a lot more downside potential in the stock than upside over the next 12 months. Nevermind the fact that the chart is now in a clear downtrend, inflation fears + tax rate hike fears + the current ridiculous valuation + the amount of bag holders in the stock will all contribute to create downward pressure on the stock. The stocks that have the most to lose over the next 12 months are those who have gained the most in the last 12 months and unfortunately tesla is one of them.

If you are in already at high prices and are in it for the long run then just hold tight, be patient and wait a while before buying more. There's a long road ahead and it's likely to be bumpy.

Who am I kidding though, this boom-bust cycle will continue until the end of time.
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, when do people expect the next cycle to start? Interest rates are gonna slowly creep up more and more, the baby boomer generation is gonna start mass retiring, the market is very overvalued its at 230+% of the US GDP, its higher than its ever been even higher than the internet bubble, and even accounting for inflation the Shiller PE ratio is in the 30s. It seems like the market is due for a correction in 2023 but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened second half of 2022.

What are we expecting this week? Another rough one?

I think this week will be a blood bath for major stocks (and crypto), and it will continue until all the meme stocks are done. HF are closing their long positions to pay for the mess on the short positions, so I expect this to go on for at least another month. Tension across the stock market and crypto seems very very high and inflation doesnt help at all. I've been buying GEVO under 5$ for a while now, IMO it will skyrocket in the upcoming years.

I can see Tesla going as low as 300'ish $ and definetly have my buy orders ready.

GHG

Gold Member
Blood everywhere. Not even crypto is safe today.

My AT&T investment is looking like a better decision by the day though. Will probably day trade DISCA/DISCK today.

Top Bottom