• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Next Fest October '22 (03-10.10) - thatstoomuch.gif

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Get outta here pixel indie games! Time for me to step it up with some proper 3D renderered polygons and high production value with the following games:

Forever Skies - Not very well optimize, even says as much in the option menu when it comes to resolutions higher than 1080p but even at that resolution the performance was poor at best. I like the concept of floating above post-apocalyptic skyscrapers, looting, building and surviving along the way but unless they significantly improve performance I won't be touching this with a barge pole.

Asterigos: Curse of the Stars - This is really just Lara Croft Souls, constant quipping included, and... I kinda like it? It has indie written all over it (and changing the video settings from high to low has a drastic effect on the overall image quality, much more so than other games) but if you can overlook some of the lower budget that's on display then this seems like a very solid Soulslike. I played it on Challenging and I have to admit that I wasn't able to beat the, what I assume was, the final boss of the demo (the armored duder in town). And here I was thinking it was an easy game! Granted I'm no Souls expert but I got my ass handed to me by that guy numerous times. So unless it's marred by some game breaking bugs (I experienced none while playing) I look forward to getting my revenge on that boss when the game launches October 11th (for a very reasonable €35 even!).

\
Scars Above - Actually it turns out this is the true Lara Croft x Souls of the bunch, leaning more towards to Tomb Raider end of the spectrum this time while also incorporating Metroid (Prime) mechanics to boot. Perhaps the easiest way to describe this game is if Fallen Order and Tomb Raider had a baby. Think lots of environmental exploration, focus on narrative & lore, creative level design (plenty of secrets), boss encounters, Soulslike respawning, and even environmental puzzles straight out of the Arkham games where you're locked into an area and scan for clues to come up with a solution. I could wax lyrical for mutliple paragraphs about this game but I will spare you hah. The only reason I stopped playing this very generous demo (seriously when does it end?) is because I got stuck on a puzzle. Not to a fault of my own I reckon because the controls for that particular puzzle were incredibly finnicky. I've left some feedback on the forums so hopefully that'll be fixed for the full game.

Anyway go play it! If you like Tomb Raider, Metroid Prime, Jedi Fallen Order, etc then I can't imagine you won't like this. I put in about 90 minutes and it might be my favourite demo so far!
Those look interesting. Wishlisted.

Pakoe

Last two demos for me

I really enjoyed this one. The atmosphere fit the artstyle perfectly.

Pretty surprised by this demo, felt like i was playing a AA title. Unfortunately i got soft locked while reading a terminal.

Really enjoyed this next fest again. Gives me the ability to test out all these games, hope Valve keeps doing these.

Hydroxy

Last two demos for me

I really enjoyed this one. The atmosphere fit the artstyle perfectly.

Pretty surprised by this demo, felt like i was playing a AA title. Unfortunately i got soft locked while reading a terminal.

Really enjoyed this next fest again. Gives me the ability to test out all these games, hope Valve keeps doing these.
Didn't like either. The controls for 10 dead doves felt horrible while the other one just felt mediocre. The only demo I liked was Asterigos. It felt really polished and fun experience

VN1X

Banned
Managed to squeeze in a few more demos. I told myself not to play any more after today but I might sneak in one or two tomorrow as well. Oops!

Drewdrop Dynasty - A quirky Metroidvania that looked a bit too lo-fi at first glance but when I actually got control of Mr. Drewdrop Dynasty I was pleasantly surprised by how well it played. Supposedly the full game is on the shorter side and it's another Metroidvania that does not constantly bombard you with lore, cutscenes or tutorials (during the demo at least) which is a big plus for me. Maybe I'll play this in its entirety some day!

Potionomics - I was worried that this would turn out exactly like Thirsty Suitors but thankfully this had a much better flow and far less obnoxious writing. I assume the full game will still feature plenty of romance shenanigans but the demo proved that it least has some proper gameplay to speak of as well. The deckbuilding part of the game was a nice surprise and I like how it ties back into haggling potion prices. You appear to unlock more cards by speaking to (or charming) other characters which is neat. The visual style can be hit or miss depending on your tastes but personally I didn't mind it at all and loved the expressive animations. Not sure if I'll pick this up later this month (as it turns out October is stacked) but I might grab it some day on the cheap.

Enchain - This took a bit getting used to but once it finally clicked I was completely enthralled. It has some very janky onboarding (complete with grammatical errors) but once you get past the initial hurdle of the tricky controls and mechanics then it becomes a gem of a game. It wears its From Soft's inspirations on its sleeves and I expect this will get really big among the retro-FPS and Kings Field/Souls crowd. I will certainly sing its praises from here on out and I am excited to check out the full thing!

Curse you Next Fest for making my wishlist explode with good shit. :messenger_face_steam:

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Didn't like either. The controls for 10 dead doves felt horrible while the other one just felt mediocre. The only demo I liked was Asterigos. It felt really polished and fun experience
That's a shame, they were my favourite demos by far! Funny how that works hah.

VN1X

Banned
I played about 27 demos so far so I might as well get that number over 30 for OCD's sake... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

From Space - I didn't play it for very long but I can already tell this will be really fun in co-op. I'm a fan of the visual style, the lighting and animation especially, and hopefully I can get some others to jump on this as well so I can get my Alien Swarm co-op fix. Wishlisted!

Hunt The Night - Top-down Dark Souls. These seem to come out every other month but I have to admit, once I got the hang of things it quickly sunk its hooks into me. Seems especially well suited for dark and cold evenings that lie ahead what with its oppressive and gothic atmosphere. Unfortunately it doesn't appear it'll come out any time soon though. So on the wishlist it goes!

Hellcard - I played and finished Book of Demons when that first came out. It was a very linear ARPG with a cute paper mache art style that excelled in simplicity in its design. I was hoping Hellcard would be more of the same in that regard but for the Roguelite Deckbuilding genre. And while they've certainly tried to change things up a bit with the battle system it doesn't have anything over games like Slay the Spire or Monster Train. It's more cumbersome and not very interesting. It still retains the charming presentation of the first game but otherwise it just didn't do anything for me. Apparently it's best enjoyed in co-op but I doubt I'd ever be able to get any of my (e)friends to play this lol. Off the wishlist it goes!

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Quick demo ranking of the 31 games I played during this event (no I didn't get obsessed at all).

1. Scars Above

2. 10 Dead Doves

3. Asterigos: Curse of the Stars

4. Undecember

5. Enchain

6. Gunbrella
7. Ship of Fools
8. The Case of the Golden Idol
9. The Knight Witch
10. Hunt the Night

11. From Space
12. 9 Years of Shadows
13. Wildfrost
14. Potionomics
15. Against the Storm
16. Repetendium
17. Her Name Was Fire
18. ADACA
19. Bravery and Greed
20. Dewdrop Dynasty
21. Ants Rook My Eyeball
22. Soulstone Survivors
23. Funtasia - Furry Road
24. Forever Skies
25. Friends vs Friends
26. Arkanoid - Eternal Battle
27. Dead Letter Dept.
28. Chasm: The Rift
29. Thirsty Suitors
30. Hellcard
31. Warhammer 40K: Warpforge

Last edited:

GymWolf

Quick demo ranking of the 31 games I played during this event (no I didn't get obsessed at all).

1. Scars Above

2. 10 Dead Doves

3. Asterigos: Curse of the Stars

4. Undecember

5. Enchain

6. Gunbrella
7. Ship of Fools
8. The Case of the Golden Idol
9. The Knight Witch
10. Hunt the Night

11. From Space
12. 9 Years of Shadows
13. Wildfrost
14. Potionomics
15. Against the Storm
16. Repetendium
17. Her Name Was Fire
18. ADACA
19. Bravery and Greed
20. Dewdrop Dynasty
21. Ants Rook My Eyeball
22. Soulstone Survivors
23. Funtasia - Furry Road
24. Forever Skies
25. Friends vs Friends
26. Arkanoid - Eternal Battle
27. Dead Letter Dept.
28. Chasm: The Rift
29. Thirsty Suitors
30. Hellcard
31. Warhammer 40K: Warpforge
Any worthy isometric game or metroidvania or roguelite or dungeon crawler in that list?

chixdiggit

Only played a dozen or so. My top three:

Really fun ARPG that does a great job at making you feel bad ass. Not sure I like or even fully understood the skill system but fun experience.

Fun city builder with some fresh twists. Pretty simple to grasp in a good way.

Really impressive. City builder with Total War type battles. The scale of it all is really ambitious.

VN1X

Banned
Any worthy isometric game or metroidvania or roguelite or dungeon crawler in that list?
Hah plenty I would say but check out:
Hunt the Night, Gunbrella and Bravery & Greed. The Knight Witch and 9 Years of Shadows are more conventional Metroidvanias (the former a bit less so as is strives for accessibility: "The Knight Witch has been lovingly designed as a Metroidvania without barriers; with an intuitive on/off 'auto-aim' system, world-altering 'cheats' and a focused main story navigation system - you will never get lost and you can tailor the game to your level of play.").

EDIT: Ants Rook My Eyeball is also very "dungeoncrawlery" with roguelite elements btw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom