• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

stranno

ProtonGE 7.42 released.

Upstream changes, updated tools and some Protonfixes.

There's also a new Atari Jaguar emulator out there, developed by Rich Whitehouse for Digital Eclipses' Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration. I blows out of the water any other previous emulator: 100% compatibility, more accuracy and many features (including Blitter overclocking). Still not Jaguar CD support and there's no Linux native version yet. Windows version works fine on Proton/GE, but the menu is partially invisible. It uses around 7 watts at 800p and 10 watts at 1080p.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Steam Deck OS Preview Update: Part 7 Never
Note: This update is for the Steam Deck Preview channel, and includes new features that are still being tested. You can opt into this in Settings > System > Steam Update Channel.
  • Added support for the 8BitDo Ultimate Wireless controller dongle
  • Added rumble support to the built-in hid-steam controller driver
  • Fixed a USB crash when using certain controllers such as the Hori Fighting Stick α
Source: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3647382450221491185

Great news! I'm getting second controller for my docked set-up.

Topher

Gold Member
Anyone using PCSX2 via EmuDeck? Trying to play a PS2 game but there is no sound. Other emulators have been fine so far.

Steam Deck OS Preview Update: Part 7 Never
Note: This update is for the Steam Deck Preview channel, and includes new features that are still being tested. You can opt into this in Settings > System > Steam Update Channel.
  • Added support for the 8BitDo Ultimate Wireless controller dongle
  • Added rumble support to the built-in hid-steam controller driver
  • Fixed a USB crash when using certain controllers such as the Hori Fighting Stick α
Source: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3647382450221491185

Great news! I'm getting second controller for my docked set-up.

Ah sweet! Now I'll be able to switch from Switch to Steam with a flick of a switch! I like switching.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm new to the thread but have had a Deck for about 4-5 months now. Has anyone played with Batocera versus using Emu Deck? Emu Deck seems good for a handful of games.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Managed to get Heroes of Might and Magic III working on the Deck, mostly thanks to the Heroic Game Launcher. Setting it up was quite an easy task.

Next up I'll try adding the HD mod. If I manage then I'll be able to play HoM&M3 while lying on the sofa. :lollipop_content:

Edit: well, that was easy!

ZOY22rI.jpg

Here's the post from Reddit which details the steps needed to make it work:

This is running the GoG version of HoMM3. I got this up and running on the SD within my first day. It was very straight forward:

1. Install Heroic Games Launcher through the Discover app in Desktop mode.
  2. Link your GoG account to HGL.
  3. Install HoMM3 using HGL.
  4. Add the HoMM3 exe as a non-Steam game to Steam.
  5. Force Proton compatibility in the game launcher settings
That was it, and it's all you need to start playing with a simple mouse/keyboard configuration.

If you want to go the extra mile….

Here's how you can more easily edit your steam input bindings:

1. Change the game name to 297000 on Steam (the Steam ID for HoMM3:HD)
  2. View the Community Layouts that are now available and tweak to your heart's content.
  3. Finish tweaking your layout and export it to your personal layouts.
  4. Reset the name to whatever you wish.
I have most combat commands configured to a radial menu with the left trackpad, and use the ABXY buttons for navigation (select, back, etc.).

If you want to install the HoMM3:HD mod, follow these steps in Desktop mode:

1. Download the HoMM3 HD Mod installer
  2. Add the installer .exe to Steam as a non-Steam game.
  3. Run the installer via Steam (remember to force Proton compatability first)
  4. Once the installer is done, it should launch the HoMM3:HD Mod launcher. Set the resolution and settings you want. I recommend 960x600.
  5. In the launcher create your new executable.
  6. Add your new executable to Steam (and enable Proton compatibility, etc.
All in all, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Last edited:

KemoSabe

So guys, I have a decent laptop, PS5, Xbox one x and a switch.
Since I'm a sucker for new gaming stuff I was wondering if I should get a steam Deck...
Should I get myself one for Christmas?

chixdiggit

Loving Mini Motor Ways on the deck. Not very good at it but it's a really addictive puzzle game about managing traffic.
Managed to get Heroes of Might and Magic III working on the Deck, mostly thanks to the Heroic Game Launcher. Setting it up was quite an easy task.

Next up I'll try adding the HD mod. If I manage then I'll be able to play HoM&M3 while lying on the sofa. :lollipop_content:

How does it control? I tried Songs of Conquest (similar to HOMM3) on the Deck and it's a bit clunky control wise.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Loving Mini Motor Ways on the deck. Not very good at it but it's a really addictive puzzle game about managing traffic.

How does it control? I tried Songs of Conquest (similar to HOMM3) on the Deck and it's a bit clunky control wise.
I didn't get to mess around with the controls too much, but it controlled fine even when just using the mouse. With some kb shortcuts it could play really great.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Since I'm a sucker for new gaming stuff I was wondering if I should get a steam Deck...
Do you have a backlog of PC games?
Are you into older games?
Are you into indies? 2D stuff?
Are you into emulation?

If you answered yes to at least one of those, then go for it. The device is great and many games play like a dream.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Hell yes. And if money is a concern just sell one of these gaming devices you own and fund Deck that way.

I'm someone with PS5, Series X and a PC with 4090. My PS5 and Series X are not even connected to power and my PC is used mostly to watch YouTube crap. I game on Deck 99% of the time.

KemoSabe

Hell yes. And if money is a concern just sell one of these gaming devices you own and fund Deck that way.

I'm someone with PS5, Series X and a PC with 4090. My PS5 and Series X are not even connected to power and my PC is used mostly to watch YouTube crap. I game on Deck 99% of the time.
Okay convinced.
Which version do you recommend?
Is the one with 512gb worth it or should I buy one of the lower versions?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Okay convinced.

I have the 512GB version. The difference between this model and 2 other ones is the screen. It has some kind of anti-glare glass. I don’t know how much better it is, maybe check some YouTube comparisons.

I would ignore 64GB model (slower storage plus let's face it 64GB is kind of useless) and either pick 256GB + SD card or 512GB.

Topher

Gold Member
Okay convinced.

I went with the 256gb version. You are not going to see any difference in loading speeds so I wouldn't worry to much about that. A good A2 microsd is a much better value. But the 512 has a matte screen that reduces glare and a nice carrying case. Either should be fine.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
GameCube version of SSX3 is almost perfect on the Deck. Force 4:3 and VSync and enjoy. AMAZING.
Have you tried Tricky too?
Dock, keyboard, mouse and portable monitor….

8dL7hgT.jpg

BTW, that Managarmr kicked my ass every which way last night. I'm still sore.

Drudge Report. Nice! Make sure you get some alternative aggregators too though man." Beware the man who's read but one book" and all that ...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am debating replacing my Switch in my living room with my Steam Deck. Valuable, sparse real estate that is. That, or buy a new quality portable 1080p OLED monitor for it and keep it in my home office. Decisions decisions.

gothmog

Gold Member
After a few days of playing with a Batocera build I think I'm sticking with it. Being able to just jam a card with roms/images and boot to that is much better to me than filling up my Steam Library with thousands of emulator titles. I imagine tooling will get much better over time but the dual boot seems to be a winner for me right now.

Not Drake

Guys, I'm debating grabbing one for myself as I haven't played any PC games over last couple of years being mostly a Playstation gamer.

How's Game Pass on it? Is 256GB version viable? It's more than 100 EUR cheaper than 512 one so it's quite tempting. Thanks!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Guys, I'm debating grabbing one for myself as I haven't played any PC games over last couple of years being mostly a Playstation gamer.

How's Game Pass on it? Is 256GB version viable? It's more than 100 EUR cheaper than 512 one so it's quite tempting. Thanks!

256GB model should be fine, you'll just probably end up needing a good SD card - the storage controller in the Deck supports U3 / 30MB/s cards. It won't have the anti-glare screen, but you can buy a screen protector with anti-glare.

For Game Pass you're going to have to either install Windows on your Deck, or use the beta Edge browser in Steam OS and stream the games.

Chukhopops

I bought the 256GB and have no regret, just put a large SD card for emulation/roms and you’re good to go.

I didn’t install Windows but use Xcloud and it works really well, just need to do a bit of configuration to use Edge browser with controller access.

Chukhopops

Thank you both. Ordering a 256GB one today hoping they can deliver it before Christmas! :)
Have fun! I really advise using (or buying) a cheap usb-c hub in order to use a keyboard and mouse when doing configuration in Desktop mode.

Unless you intend to buy the official dock in which case that’s not necessary.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I only just now got a notification to update the patch from December 1st. Anyone know of a setting that would prevent me from seeing updates when they're available?

AndrewRyan

Just got around to trying Battle Planet: Judgement Day, a bargain twin-stick rougelite shooter from the black Friday sales. Looks similar to Superstardust, feels great and less than 400Mb on disk.

Romulus

One thing I love about the Deck over the Switch is the sheer amount of Steam games that either compatible or will be soon. Seems there's this constant effort with the steam library to improve and add to the already thousands of possibilities. Not to mention it runs emulators like a champ and people are actively pushing it more.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
One thing I love about the Deck over the Switch is the sheer amount of Steam games that either compatible or will be soon. Seems there's this constant effort with the steam library to improve and add to the already thousands of possibilities. Not to mention it runs emulators like a champ and people are actively pushing it more.
As a former Linux user, I am consistently blown away by how well everything works games wise. I haven't done a ton of games that do not have compatibility testing, but so far every game I have tried to run, runs.

Filben

ZOY22rI.jpg

Here's the post from Reddit which details the steps needed to make it work:

I have zero interest in the game but I adore and appreciate the dedication of the community and like it when the community spreads the word. It's just amazing to see the love and dedication and how much people care and are willing to share with other people... just because... or because they love it. As in return I wanted to say my gratitude for this devotion.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I bought the 256GB and have no regret, just put a large SD card for emulation/roms and you’re good to go.

I didn’t install Windows but use Xcloud and it works really well, just need to do a bit of configuration to use Edge browser with controller access.
I ordered a 64gb version and installed a 512gb ssd myself. It was super easy and way cheaper!

Kupfer

Having a blast with

Found this game in my library yesterday and can't remember when and why I bought it.
It's my first turn-based game of this kind and I have to say it's really fun.
I spent the whole day on the sofa yesterday playing it, 8 hours straight. This is probably my longest Deck session so far.
I would never have the patience and the will to play this game on the main computer and with 40fps40hz it looks great and runs smooth on the Deck.
Now that I've noticed that this kind of game works really well on the Deck, but having no clue about the genre, I would be delighted to get more tips.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Having a blast with

Found this game in my library yesterday and can't remember when and why I bought it.
It's my first turn-based game of this kind and I have to say it's really fun.
I spent the whole day on the sofa yesterday playing it, 8 hours straight. This is probably my longest Deck session so far.
I would never have the patience and the will to play this game on the main computer and with 40fps40hz it looks great and runs smooth on the Deck.
Now that I've noticed that this kind of game works really well on the Deck, but having no clue about the genre, I would be delighted to get more tips.
Currently in the Tactician's bundle over at Humble Bundle.

Top Bottom