• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

lmimmfn

Got the Epic Games store version of Spiderman Miles Morales what a fecking headwreck to get the controller working correctly, finally got it working (enter Big Picture from Desktop, select game shortcut and for controller select force off)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
fw4tptewipz91.jpg
so cool! Is this yakuza 0 ?

stranno

Hollywood Monsters working fine on Deck. Metrics are all over the pace due game behavior, it is perfectly "smooth" as it was back then.

The original game, developed by Pendulo and produced by Dinamic, was a Windows 95 game, so it should work on DOSBox with 95 or 98, it even had a very obscure English version. This is the FX re-release for new systems tho, only released in Spain. There's an unofficial translation. It works out of the box, but requires cnc-ddraw (a DirectDraw to Vulkan wrapper, developed for Command and Conquer).

One of the best graphical adventures of all time imo.

lmimmfn

After 2 months use of the deck:
Great for Emulation
Great for Steam games and backlog

Complete shit for new games on stores like Epic, e.g.
Spiderman Miles Morales needs workaround to get controls working, when sorted the gfx are all corrupted with red glow everywhere(tried multiple Proton versions).
I'm sure it will be fixed but don't buy new games on Epic Store for steam deck

Also Epic Store version of Uncharted won't even launch.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The newest games I bought for my Steam Deck are Tactics Ogre, Star Ocean TDF, and Sonic Frontiers. Sonic plays well at 30 fps. I haven’t played it at 60 yet. Tactics Ogre runs great and I’ve clocked like 5 or so hours on it. I’m hoping SO gets a patch because it sucks on the Steam Deck. It’s sad when RE Village runs better than a JRPG.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When enough of you keep asking me for the SAME THING I try to listen...so here we go; Steam Deck coverage! But of course this is a retro gaming channel so it's not like we are going to talk about modern PC Gaming on the Steam Deck...we are going to talk about retro emulation...more specifically MAME arcade emulation!

I asked, you answered...and I try to listen :) Of all the requests for new content on the channel one of the most frequently asked for videos is a series on the Steam Deck; Valve's new Nintendo Switch competitor that could

On today's Steam Deck video I will go over how to get MAME running on your Steam Deck as there are multiple options to get it working and a few REALLY BIG THINGS you need to change to get it working CORRECTLY! (things like the MAME TAB menu and the test/service button switches like you would use on an actual arcade PCB)

We will discuss MAME under RetroArch and Emulation Station, assigning hot keys to important MAME functions, how to add and select which version of the MAME emulator you want to use per game, how to get your MAME ROMS onto the Steam Deck, how to deal with CHD files in MAME to make sure THOSE work, discuss MAME video settings within the Steam Deck...and most importantly show you some awesome games! Because this isn't just a Steam Deck Tutorial...but a bit of a MAME emulation tutorial as well :)

Again I recommend getting a Dock for your Steam Deck as the process is MUCH easier that way!

But the Steam Deck is proving to be an amazing retrogaming handheld video game emulation machine and I love it!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been playing Soulstone Survivors on the Deck, since I've played the hell out of Vampire Survivors and I'm looking to scratch that itch.

The game plays really good on the Deck and seems to keep a pretty consistent framerate throughout.

stranno

MAME on Steam Deck is amazing. Most handheld devices can only run those crappy-outdated-glitched RetroArch ports (MAME2000, 20003, etc), but Deck is powerful enough to run the official MAME just fine.

Heck, it can even run the absolutely wonderful Multibowl. The ultimate party game.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Been playing Soulstone Survivors on the Deck, since I've played the hell out of Vampire Survivors and I'm looking to scratch that itch.

The game plays really good on the Deck and seems to keep a pretty consistent framerate throughout.
Seeing as we have similar tastes in games, I am going to add this one to my wishlist and keep an eye on it.

Did you ever play through Into the Breach? I just got my final achievement. It's a fantastic little puzzle/strategy game. I wish there were more like it.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Seeing as we have similar tastes in games, I am going to add this one to my wishlist and keep an eye on it.

Did you ever play through Into the Breach? I just got my final achievement. It's a fantastic little puzzle/strategy game. I wish there were more like it.
Jogged my memory with this post.

How do FTL and Into the Breach play on deck?

FTL might be my favorite indie game of all time and Into the Breach was a worthy follow-up. Would love to have these portable ... but the text size and mouse controls seem problematic for FTL as it's a bit long in the tooth now.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

FTL might be my favorite indie game of all time and Into the Breach was a worthy follow-up. Would love to have these portable ... but the text size and mouse controls seem problematic for FTL as it's a bit long in the tooth now.
Haven't touched either on Deck. FTL might be annoying with small text but ItB should play very well. Both are native on linux!

SCB3

FTL is also on iPad with Touch controls, but then again its designed for the iPad in mind UI wise

On a similar note, I'm curious about Steallaris

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Played FTL some time ago and managed to finish a run. Text is a bit small but still readable, and some things like doors and your crew members a bit difficult to click on because of small they are.

That said, game has a pause feature, so the game is perfectly playable and very enjoyable on the Deck

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I picked up Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion yesterday during the sale on Fanatical. 2.5 hours to 100% but the entire thing was pretty fun throughout. It's like Zelda games, though the combat is more slow paced and far less difficult. The writing and humor are really the best part. There were 3 endings and obtaining the others is easy as your save is before the final boss. The end game content is interesting but not really enough that I want to go back and play each day. Regardless, at $5, I got my money's worth. It's still on sale, if anyone wants to pick up a copy.

There's a sequel coming out that I will definitely check out but due to the short length, I will probably wait for a sale.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Any fellow DOOM geeks with Decks?

Eventually Id like to get set up to play some DOOM wads. Maybe Brutal DOOM too.

Is there a preference for a source port or one that's easier to use with the Deck? Also asking because I'll probably be trying to set up source ports for Blood, Quake etc.

Anyone have experience doing this already?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Any fellow DOOM geeks with Decks?

Eventually Id like to get set up to play some DOOM wads. Maybe Brutal DOOM too.

Is there a preference for a source port or one that's easier to use with the Deck? Also asking because I'll probably be trying to set up source ports for Blood, Quake etc.

Anyone have experience doing this already?
Hi bro. I've been playing some DOOM wads and been having a fuckton of fun with it. DOOM plays great on the Deck, specially if you forget about freelook and rely on autoaim and only horizontal aim. Have been able to beat DOOM, DOOM 2 and DOOM The Way Id Did playing like that.

Other wads like Brutal DOOM's Hell on Earth or Ashes 2063 also play great with freelook + gyro aim.

Now, the setup:

I followed this video and managed to get it running thanks to it. Just don't bother with setting it up as a controller, as it play's perfectly by emulating KB+M controlls.

I'm quite happy with ZDL, it's quite easy to run whatever base wad you have with multiple mods at once. Hit me up if you need anything! I wouldn't mind uploading my gzdoom folder (minus the wads ofc) in case you need it.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Hi bro. I've been playing some DOOM wads and been having a fuckton of fun with it. DOOM plays great on the Deck, specially if you forget about freelook and rely on autoaim and only horizontal aim. Have been able to beat DOOM, DOOM 2 and DOOM The Way Id Did playing like that.

Other wads like Brutal DOOM's Hell on Earth or Ashes 2063 also play great with freelook + gyro aim.

Now, the setup:

I followed this video and managed to get it running thanks to it. Just don't bother with setting it up as a controller, as it play's perfectly by emulating KB+M controlls.

I'm quite happy with ZDL, it's quite easy to run whatever base wad you have with multiple mods at once. Hit me up if you need anything! I wouldn't mind uploading my gzdoom folder (minus the wads ofc) in case you need it.

Hey I appreciate the response man.

I'll check the vid after work. I knew it was possible but you've no doubt saved me a lot of time. I haven't used Linux in over a decade.

Really glad to hear you've been having a good time with it. I'll reach out with questions.

Cheers.

Edit - I actually prefer horizontal aiming only in vanilla DOOM stuff. It's how I played it originally so I'm used to it. Something like Brutal DOOM tho I really enjoy the modern aiming scheme.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Playing through Moon RPG on Deck. Man, I wish I had played this back when it came out but I also think a younger me would have hated it due to the slow pace of the character.

Its run without issue so far.

Rex_DX

Gold Member

Now, the setup:

Checked out that vid last night. Seems pretty straightforward. Thanks for the link.

One question - I'd like to use a separate SD card for stuff like DOOM wads/mods and all my emulators and roms.

Is it okay to run all this stuff off an SD card? Will it cause any issues when I remove the card and swap in my game storage SD for regular SteamOS use?

Anyone have experience doing this and if so, how's it work for you?

Last edited:

KiteGr

How well does Launch box runs?
I've just bough the license yesterday on Black Friday with the intention of using it instead of Emulation station.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is question for pc and deck steam.
How can I be sure that steam is using xinput REAL controller input for game rather than emuating it ?
Like, how can I be sure that it's direct xbox controller input and not mapping wasd and mouse to it? The ui to covert this is a bit strange on deck and even worse on the pc.

Also, I am giving the little shit my deck so I will log in his profile on deck and preinstall all games he owns + aparture desk. Any recommendations for 8yo? I might get him some other game... he doesn't have too much on steam.
But also, I am not sure how to buy and preinstall games on his account without him knowing it.

TintoConCasera

How can I be sure that steam is using xinput REAL controller input for game rather than emuating it ?
Like, how can I be sure that it's direct xbox controller input and not mapping wasd and mouse to it? The ui to covert this is a bit strange on deck and even worse on the pc.
I have no idea haha. 🤡

Also, I am giving the little shit my deck so I will log in his profile on deck and preinstall all games he owns + aparture desk. Any recommendations for 8yo? I might get him some other game... he doesn't have too much on steam.
What kind of games does he like? Anyway, have arecommendation:

Short and sweet metroidvania, might be a great introduction to the genre, although some boss fights are kinda hard.

But also, I am not sure how to buy and preinstall games on his account without him knowing it.
I don't know if that'd be possible... I mean, you can hide games on the Steam Library so they only appear when you search for them.

But there's still the matter of the e-mail that he'll recieve on his account when the game is added to the library, right? But if you manage to take control of that e-mail account, or disable Steam from sending notifications to said account (something I'm not sure if it's possible) then you'll be fine.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have no idea haha. 🤡

What kind of games does he like? Anyway, have arecommendation:

Short and sweet metroidvania, might be a great introduction to the genre, although some boss fights are kinda hard.

I don't know if that'd be possible... I mean, you can hide games on the Steam Library so they only appear when you search for them.

But there's still the matter of the e-mail that he'll recieve on his account when the game is added to the library, right? But if you manage to take control of that e-mail account, or disable Steam from sending notifications to said account (something I'm not sure if it's possible) then you'll be fine.
Thanks.
Gato Robot looks pretty interesting. He could like it. Recently he is playing a lot of vampire survivors.
He is not interested in games like Spider-Man...
Is is feasible to "install" super mario odyssey on deck or not worth the hassle? is the game finishable?

As for emails, no problem. His father will confiscate the phone, remove emails and so on

Foilz

Banned
This fucking idiot at it again.
I have a gaming pc and steam deck sucks because my pc is more powerful.
First time pc gamer, first time rig builder looking for approval of his expenses.... and he shits on everything that is not a pc... even a handheld pc lol.
Some of these first time nuveu riche pc gamers lack experience to develop the perspective of respect and understanding that there are other platforms that are for different audiences.

I know pcmr is not like that since this guy is always the biggest idiot with everything he covers. But it's still offputting and some people really only look at the tip of their nose.
Steam deck is absolutely amazing and I say that even as I am not playing it as much as I would expect.

Quantum is a qanon nut. He has a blog about how the political party (D) he hates are evil. I mean full 100% batshit crazy stuff. I've read some of it and watched a few of his Q videos and this man is straight up out of his mind. He went on a 40 minute rant one time in a video a while back stating that the YouTuber "Fomo" was a devil worshipping evil progressive Democrat and continued to attack him in video after video because Fomo had a trailer for the TV show Lucifer playing on a TV while he reviewed it. He has a video about how the movie black adam is laced with satanic worshipping symbols 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

You can tell by looking at the game UI. If you see A / B / X / Y, it's x-input.

TintoConCasera

Is is feasible to "install" super mario odyssey on deck or not worth the hassle? is the game finishable?
Based on what I've seen it seems to be emulable. That said, it also seems to not run at 60fps, so it kinda depends on the player but I'd guess a little kid wont even notice.

I also read somewhere thsmat tinkering with Powertools and disabling some cores helps with performance, but I haven't even tried emulation on the Deck so I can't confirm.

Kupfer

Based on what I've seen it seems to be emulable. That said, it also seems to not run at 60fps, so it kinda depends on the player but I'd guess a little kid wont even notice.

I also read somewhere thsmat tinkering with Powertools and disabling some cores helps with performance, but I haven't even tried emulation on the Deck so I can't confirm.

Powertools definitely helps.
I have had the best results with a CPU clock of 3500 MHz, fixed GPU clock of 1000mhz and SMD disabled, with only 4 cores in use.

So I got 60fps over long stretches of the game with drops into the mid 50's. Not the best result, but definitely playable.

Frame cap at 40fps/40hz is smooth af, unfortunately the game is then in slow motion.

About "my" settings it should be mentioned that these fully utilize the Deck. 22W consumption at least, so a 3 or 4 hour long train ride would be difficult to bridge without another power source than the Decks built in battery.

Filben

The ui to covert this is a bit strange on deck and even worse on the pc
You can right click on a game, on PC, select properties and then go to Controller. You can select on per game basis which input you want to use. You can select none there, too.

Not sure on the Deck, though, since I don't play with other controllers on it except for the Deck itself.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You can right click on a game, on PC, select properties and then go to Controller. You can select on per game basis which input you want to use. You can select none there, too.

Not sure on the Deck, though, since I don't play with other controllers on it except for the Deck itself.
There is disable, default and enable steam input. I had no idea, thanks

Arlen777

Where can i buy Steam Deck in Eastern Europe? (Not through Steam)

Prefer to buy new one, even from resellers in person

I will be traveling there for work, to Lithuania (Vilnius, Kaunas) then Czech Republic (Prague), then Poland (Warsaw) then Hungary

Topher

Gold Member
Where can i buy Steam Deck in Eastern Europe? (Not through Steam)

Prefer to buy new one, even from resellers in person

I will be traveling there for work, to Lithuania (Vilnius, Kaunas) then Czech Republic (Prague), then Poland (Warsaw) then Hungary

I think Steam Deck is only sold through Steam.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought some games on Steam for my deck, like 10 games. Yakuza 0 runs at 60 fps and plays great. Dusk has been a lot of fun. Star Ocean the Divine Force got a shader compiler update that makes it run much much better. So far this has been a much better experience. I’m looking forward to Crisis Core and Romancing Saga here in December.

Playing through Moon RPG on Deck. Man, I wish I had played this back when it came out but I also think a younger me would have hated it due to the slow pace of the character.

It’s run without issue so far.
I own Moon on Switch. It’s a lot different than say most PS1 JRPGs, but it’s so obscure that it makes the experience a lot better.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I own Moon on Switch. It’s a lot different than say most PS1 JRPGs, but it’s so obscure that it makes the experience a lot better.
Yes, I am enjoying it and will most likely beat it slowly over a few weeks. I picked up too many games over the past week and now need to decide which order I will play everything in.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Yes, I am enjoying it and will most likely beat it slowly over a few weeks. I picked up too many games over the past week and now need to decide which order I will play everything in.
I know that feeling. Just spent two hours trying to work out the controls for The Caves of Qud on the Deck and thats the first of about twenty games from the steam sale.

Should be a good week :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom