• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

chixdiggit

19min for 512GB.
I got my email today as well... also 19 minutes after.
Gah. I beat you guys by a minute and still no pre-order.
CE2tmb8.png

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Since getting the Steam deck, my spend with Nintendo has gone down considerably. Except for first party stuff, I'm finding most things just play and feel better on the Deck than they do on the Switch.

It's also nice to know that the stuff I buy on Steam is going to be there for the long haul. Who knows if my digital Switch purchases will work on the Switch's successor - but I know that whatever I have on Steam is going to work on stronger and more capable hardware going forward. And since I have a pretty beefy PC, Steam Cloud makes it super easy to switch between the two devices (depending on where I am) to play the same game, whereas before I had one game I'd be playing on the Switch and a different game for when I had time on PC. My Steam library just feels like it has a lot more permanence, maybe that's because the last couple of Nintendo consoles haven't let you carry over digital purchases...

Same. I now find myself double checking and making sure a game is on Steam before I commit to buying it on Switch, and get it for the Deck instead. Every thing just plays better and looks and sounds better on the Deck. My Switch OLED has rapidly reverted back to an exclusives only console, which is fine, considering the rate at which Nintendo pumps out good console exclusives.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have played Rogue Legacy 2 exclusively on the Deck since I have been out of town.
I am about 15 hours into the game or so and I have been blown AWAY by the battery life with this game and the steam deck. Last night I played for about 3 and 1/2 hours while watching some TV and I didn't dip below 50%...its crazy how long this thing can last (depending on the game of course).

Conversely I spent about 10 hours or so on the PC version of MH:Rise, I basically had the SD connected to power the entire time.

Last edited:

TheStam

Got my Steam deck a week ago. Suddenly I have 50 hours logged on Steam in the last two weeks, can't remember when that happened last. Been having so much fun gaming again.

Some games just blew my mind how great they look and run handheld, such as Ryse, Doom and The Witcher 3. The odd game is slightly disappointing like The Outer Wilds which I thought would run better, couldn't get 60 fps locked even with settings turned down, but maybe there is some workaround. I play a lot of Rocket League and had some trouble with the controls there, maybe I could get used to it but I doubt it. It ran at 60 fps locked though.

I will use it for indies, AA and older AAA games mostly which it does amazingly well. I'm not really feeling the touch pads yet for strategy games / isometric RPGs and I've used a Steam Controller a bit previously, but I need to tinker some more with settings there.

All in all it's an amazing device and lived up to my expectations. Will do most of my gaming on it from now on.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oh god the coil whine is horrible.

I really hope my deck wont get the bad fan model, I can't stand this.
I don’t think it’s coil whine it’s just how the fan sounds when the Deck is fighting for it’s life.

Yes, it’s annoying. I think I’ve catched all the fan lotteries so far. Had multiple jet engine 360s, had a jet engine PS4, have a coil whine or squeeling fan PS5 and a jet fan Steam Deck. Oh and a coil whine 3070Ti too. The only lotteries I’ve ever ”won” at.

I still love my Deck though.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I saw that reddit post on input latency using the frame rate limiter and screen refresh slider. DF didn't test it from what I watched, so I decided to test it using "Is it Snappy" app, iPhone with 240fps slo-mo, and a tiny wireless keyboard with a led that lights up when a button is pressed. I used Counter-Strike with a pistol and timed from when the led first lights up to the first visible frame of muzzle flash.

Results:
60Hz/Uncapped = 45.8ms
60Hz/60fps cap = 62.1ms
60Hz/30fps cap = 120.4ms
60Hz/In-game vsync = 66ms
-
48Hz/Uncapped = 50ms, 45.8ms
48Hz/48fps cap = 66.7ms
48Hz/In-game vsync = 79.2ms
-
40Hz/Uncapped = 49.6ms
40Hz/40fps cap = 87.5ms
40Hz/In-game vsync = 104.2ms, 112.5ms
-
MangoHUD
40Hz/40fps cap = 58.3ms, 62.5ms
48Hz/48fps cap = 41.7ms, 41.3ms
60Hz/60fps = 33.3ms, 37.5ms, 37.5ms

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Looking for some awesome, controller-friendly games to play on your new portable gaming PC? Pick up this bundle of handheld-ready hits & community favorites, all of them playable or verified!

You just know they wanted to call this the Steam Deck bundle, but probably couldn't for legal reasons.

Ultradsa

I got my Steam Deck today and have been playing all day. It's a lot more console like then I was led to believe and playing games is seamless so far. I can't hear the fan at all but admittedly haven't played it in a dead silent area. The ability to enable Gyro aiming on any game is pretty bad ass and the suspend and resume is lighting fast. IMO this is the greatest handheld I have ever owned. The FedEx guy had this smile like he knew he was delivering a box of treasure.

Rubytux

Neo Member
I just ordered my Steam Deck, received the mail on monday. It is the 64GB version. Reserved @ 12:41 PM PTD.

It is going to be a long journey from the USA, to Colombia. I hope it doesnt get "lost" in the way. I am going to cherish it a lot if i finally receive it.

I hope the SD card to be competent enough for AAA games, my main use for the internal memory is going to be emulators, but i expect to play mainstream games from the SD.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just ordered my Steam Deck, received the mail on monday. It is the 64GB version. Reserved @ 12:41 PM PTD.

It is going to be a long journey from the USA, to Colombia. I hope it doesnt get "lost" in the way. I am going to cherish it a lot if i finally receive it.

I hope the SD card to be competent enough for AAA games, my main use for the internal memory is going to be emulators, but i expect to play mainstream games from the SD.
I've played the new LEGO Star Wars game and Dying Light both from my SD card, and they ran just fine. In fact, the only thing I've had issues with in regards to SD card speed was when I attempted to install Windows directly on the SD card and boot it, which slowed the system down pretty considerably. If you're just planning on sticking to SteamOS you should be just fine, assuming you have an SD card of reasonable speed.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Damn. I'll pray for safe delivery of your Deck. Don't worry about load times from microSD as long as you're using a decent card. I tested The Witcher 3 loading time from microSD(SanDisk 256GB A1 *up to 120MB/s), and it had 46s loading time from menu to Crookback Bog, compared to PS4 at 1m2s and Switch at 1m17s. Elden Ring loads from menu to game in about 20s. DOOM Eternal takes about 15s from menu to game.
---
Got the Shipped update with tracker for my 512GB unit. Should get here in about a week if it's like my son's 256GB unit.
DqpRk4X.jpg

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
looking forward to comparison. I ordered the 256 because I normally prefer glossy
I really like the look of the 256GB screen so far. Even with amFilm tempered glass protector it still looks awesome. In hindsight I would have been happy getting 256GB for both and using the extra $120 for a 1TB microSD card, but we didn't know the loading times from microSD at the time and I just wanted the biggest storage without opening the unit.

This guy did a pretty good comparison and said that the 512GB was slightly warmer with a little more color saturation at the expense of slightly less brightness. Watching the video they look similar enough that I don't care, but the regular screen does seem a tiny bit more vivid/sharp, while the anti-glare has a tiny bit more saturation.

Ultradsa

I really like the look of the 256GB screen so far. Even with amFilm tempered glass protector it still looks awesome. In hindsight I would have been happy getting 256GB for both and using the extra $120 for a 1TB microSD card, but we didn't know the loading times from microSD at the time and I just wanted the biggest storage without opening the unit.

This guy did a pretty good comparison and said that the 512GB was slightly warmer with a little more color saturation at the expense of slightly less brightness. Watching the video they look similar enough that I don't care, but the regular screen does seem a tiny bit more vivid/sharp, while the anti-glare has a tiny bit more saturation.

I wish the screen industry didn't run away from glossy screens because the bit of extra clarity and saturation is worth reflections in my book. I have a old Samsung LCD with a glossy screen and I swear it looks just like an OLED. The best 1080p monitor I have ever owned.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Valve added a 'Per Game' performance settings toggle, so now you don't have switch settings in the performance menu each time you change games. When the toggle is active it will automatically load your profile for that game, even saving the Performance Overlay Level. In Elden Ring you could save a 40Hz/40fps cap, FSR with highest sharpening, TDP limit, and only show the FPS in the overlay. Then switch over to DOOM Eternal, and the profile will automatically load 60Hz/Uncapped, no limits, and full Performance Overlay with GPU, Memory, and CPU usage.

Valve is the best. I can't ever remember a company that implements features the fans want so fast. It's really insane.

Last edited:
If I buy a steam deck from someone else I'm I still covered with a warranty and can easily RMA the device if any issues??

Last edited:

RobRSG

If I buy a steam deck from someone else I'm I still covered with a warranty and can easily RMA the device if any issues??
I read on Reddit that they check if you bought from your Steam account, and start asking how you got it. Unless you want to take the chance of a warranty denial, I don’t recommend doing that.

Got the Deck today finally and i can safely say its awesome. Hope it does well so there is more iterations because i will be sure to grab them. I set up a dual boot scenario with SteamOS and Windows and honestly it all works waaaay better than expected. The only oddities so far is running non-steam games on Windows. Need to do a small workaround for the buttons/joystick support.

First day so its not saying much but honestly i cant put it down. I've been meaning to replay MGS V and i think imma do that on the Steam Deck. I tested Ground Zeroes and it plays great.

Ultradsa

I ran into my first big issue on my steam deck, for some reason I can't change, edit or even see anything in the controller settings for Portal 2. I did some digging and found 3 or 4 others that have the same issue. Does anyone that happens to have Portal 2 installed have the same issues or have any idea's for a fix? I need the motion toggle activated for the right joystick or at the bear minimum I need faster joystick acceleration.

BlueHawk

Neo Member
This seems like an amazing idea in theory - but then I’m concerned with the quality of games a few years from now, the “next gen” games. Will they be able to run 720P@60fps with ok settings or will they be 720P@40fps and low settings?

Whilst it seems very cheap(because it is), I wish they did a Pro version, so I’ll be waiting for Steamdeck 2 if this one is successful enough.

How well does CP2077 run, Forza Horizon 5?

Steamdeck is 1.6Tflops and the M1 can do 2.6Tflops.. hmm

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I got mine reserved on the same day as you, no email yet. I did not get the $600 one though.
Good that you got in on the first day. From what I can tell, they're just now getting to people who reserved the 512GB within the first 20min. I'm not sure about the other models, but it's possible they're still delivering the first hour of reserves for the other models. Valve said in an interview they're ramping up production. Hopefully you get your Deck soon, these things are awesome.

jshackles

This seems like an amazing idea in theory - but then I’m concerned with the quality of games a few years from now, the “next gen” games. Will they be able to run 720P@60fps with ok settings or will they be 720P@40fps and low settings?

Whilst it seems very cheap(because it is), I wish they did a Pro version, so I’ll be waiting for Steamdeck 2 if this one is successful enough.

How well does CP2077 run, Forza Horizon 5?

Steamdeck is 1.6Tflops and the M1 can do 2.6Tflops.. hmm
No PC is going to remain relevant forever. That being said, there seems to be enough of these devices in the production pipeline that there is some good buzz online with developers specifically making the Steam Deck into a tangible performance target for their games (in no small part thanks to Valve's Steam Deck Verification program).

As for current games, here are a few examples (actual performance is a bit better than this due to recent software updates)

720p / 30+fps is a realistic target for a while, given that the Steam Decks IQ is nearly 1/8th that of the Xbox Series X (1.6TF vs 12.1TF). As it turns out, 720p is almost exactly 1/8th the number of pixels per frame as 4K (720p = 1280x720 = 921,600 pixels vs 4K = 3840x2160 = 8,294,400 pixels). So - if a Series X (not S) can run a game at a solid 4K / 60fps, then the Steam deck should realistically be able to hit 720p / 60fps as long as the game is well optimized for PC. Most next-gen games that are actually 60fps though are typically rendering at 1440p or even 1080p on consoles which means it's gonna look worse on Steam Deck. There can also be issues like the game isn't properly optimized or the Proton emulation layer isn't fully compatible. That's why I'd say 720p/30fps is a reasonable expectation for most games that should come out in the next few years. Possibly more depending on how demanding the game actually is.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I ran into my first big issue on my steam deck, for some reason I can't change, edit or even see anything in the controller settings for Portal 2. I did some digging and found 3 or 4 others that have the same issue. Does anyone that happens to have Portal 2 installed have the same issues or have any idea's for a fix? I need the motion toggle activated for the right joystick or at the bear minimum I need faster joystick acceleration.
Works for me. I hit the Steam button, go to view game details, the right on the d-pad. At the bottom you can go into controller settings.

Twinblade

Good that you got in on the first day. From what I can tell, they're just now getting to people who reserved the 512GB within the first 20min. I'm not sure about the other models, but it's possible they're still delivering the first hour of reserves for the other models. Valve said in an interview they're ramping up production. Hopefully you get your Deck soon, these things are awesome.
I got the 64 gb one, the $400 version.

Ultradsa

Works for me. I hit the Steam button, go to view game details, the right on the d-pad. At the bottom you can go into controller settings.
I'm clueless, I get a blank screen when clicking on controller settings. I tried deleting portal 2 and reinstalling, using beta steam OS, Different protons but the same result. Only thing left to try is to delete my Portal 2 cloud data maybe. I'm stumped.

Filben

To Steam Deck and Switch OLED owners: how do displays compare to each other? Never had a Switch OLED but owning a OLED TV it just eats anything else for breakfast.

I've read that the Steam Deck LCD doesn't even have a good sRGB value. But I've been playing sometime now on it and have to say I see it only when looking at the green "Play" button at the UI that looks like a de-saturated green. In games however, I don't spot much difference to my LCD monitor. And comparisons to my TV are hard because of the huge size difference.

Burger

To Steam Deck and Switch OLED owners: how do displays compare to each other? Never had a Switch OLED but owning a OLED TV it just eats anything else for breakfast.

I've read that the Steam Deck LCD doesn't even have a good sRGB value. But I've been playing sometime now on it and have to say I see it only when looking at the green "Play" button at the UI that looks like a de-saturated green. In games however, I don't spot much difference to my LCD monitor. And comparisons to my TV are hard because of the huge size difference.

I've got both. Switch defo has an amazing screen. But the SD ain't that bad. I find that obsessing or even caring that much about this stuff sort of defeats the purpose of these devices - to enjoy playing games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I got mine, some thoughts:

The good:
- It's very cool
- It's fun to play
- Some game work great
- The screen is ok but OLED spoils me elsewhere
- Did I mention it's cool?
- Fan is reasonable
- Speakers are decent
- It's reasonably powerful, for the price

The bad:
- The screen could be bigger, or perhaps the unit a bit smaller, it's pretty big/heavy
- Some games just don't load
- I found myself wondering why I was using it, with a pc in the next room with more power....why?
- I have big hands and I still found myself really reaching for that right stick a bit - can't imagine what smaller hands are like
- Annoying that I can't just stick an pre-loaded SD card in it (roms), just means more tinkering (some people love this, I don't)
- As it's not a console, no real exclusives (other than you can play some PC games on the go)

Probably lends itself better to someone who travels more or has less access to their PC/consoles.
Since it's worth so much, I might just sell it. I'm on the fence. It's still awesome! LOL

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Got my 512GB unit today! I really like the screen. It's definitely a warmer tone, while my son's 256GB is cooler. The 512GB seems sharper, both to the naked eye and in a comparison image I made. The 256GB could be affected a tiny bit by having the tempered glass screen protector on. The 512GB will diffuse the reflections on the screen, while it stays sharp/normal on the 256GB. You can see my arms and the phone on the 256GB, while that reflection is much less noticeable on the 512GB. At this point I prefer the 512GB screen, it has a really sharp look, almost like a 3D effect, for lack of a better descriptor. I do prefer a cool tone, that's an advantage the 256GB has.
DECKDOOM2.jpg

Now the bad news...I got the whiney fan.
Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Meanwhile my son's unit has the good fan that barely makes noise. I've been contemplating switching the fans, but that would be kind of bitchmade on my part. I'll just wait for iFixit to get them, they mentioned they were working on sourcing some stock of the good fans.

For shits and giggles, Steam Remote Play from the top Deck, streaming to the bottom Deck...
stream-DOOMDeck.jpg

Last edited:

paolo11

Got my 512GB unit today! I really like the screen. It's definitely a warmer tone, while my son's 256GB is cooler. The 512GB seems sharper, both to the naked eye and in a comparison image I made. The 256GB could be affected a tiny bit by having the tempered glass screen protector on. The 512GB will diffuse the reflections on the screen, while it stays sharp/normal on the 256GB. You can see my arms and the phone on the 256GB, while that reflection is much less noticeable on the 512GB. At this point I prefer the 512GB screen, it has a really sharp look, almost like a 3D effect, for lack of a better descriptor. I do prefer a cool tone, that's an advantage the 256GB has.
DECKDOOM2.jpg

Meanwhile my son's unit has the good fan that barely makes noise. I've been contemplating switching the fans, but that would be kind of bitchmade on my part. I'll just wait for iFixit to get them, they mentioned they were working on sourcing some stock of the good fans.

For shits and giggles, Steam Remote Play from the top Deck, streaming to the bottom Deck...
stream-DOOMDeck.jpg
Do you still need a screen protector for the 512GB? If so, what would you recommend?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Do you still need a screen protector for the 512GB? If so, what would you recommend?
I'm not going to use a screen protector on my 512GB. My son needs one since he's rough on his handhelds. Valve said that using a screen protector with the etched glass shouldn't be an issue...

However, I've read on random forum posts that you might lose some of the anti-glare when adding a protector. My take is that if you want to use the touchscreen a lot, or if you're worried about screen damage/scratching, then go ahead and get one. At worst you lost $8-10. I've used amFilm tempered glass protectors on my sons' Switch Lites, and on the 256GB Deck in these pictures. I'm really happy with the clarity and overall quality from amFilm. You can get a 3-pack for only $8.

I always use the "steamy shower/sauna" method and the screens go on perfect. Just run the shower on the hottest level and steam up the bathroom for 10-15min. That will capture all the dust particles in the air. Then let it clear and bring in your Deck after all the steam is gone and set it on a few sheets of printer paper on the counter to keep it clean. This way you don't get any specks of dust trapped under the screen protector. I'm 3-for-3 applying these using that method. I can't stand the dust speck with the little bubble around it. Air bubbles aren't too much of an issue, you can get those out using microfiber and working them to the edge in a circular motion. *EDIT* If you go with amFilm, when you use the little moist cleaning and drying packets, don't rip those open in your clean room. Cut them with scissors so they don't get paper/dust flakes on your clean screen.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Proton update killed it from launching not that long ago. They "Verified" it and it stopped working. You need to force compatibility with the Linux version's runtime.

Yeah I had to force it to use one of the compatibility layers but it runs great

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
But I was able to resize my home partition using GParted, then installed Windows on the empty space. Then booted directly back into SteamOS using the "boot from file option", switched to desktop mode, then ran efibootmgr to add the boot option for SteamOS back to the menu (and made it the default).

The end result is now my Steam deck will boot to SteamOS, unless I tell it to boot to Windows by holding + while powering on and selecting Boot -> Windows Boot Manager.
Can you give me a hand with this? I'm not very familiar with Linux. I searched in the start button for 'efibootmgr', then right-clicked it and selected run in terminal. It opened Konsole and I type 'sudo efibootmgr -o 0002,0003,2001,2002,2003' to set SteamOS first and Windows second, but it doesn't do anything, or make any changes to the order. What command am I supposed to use?
---
Side note: Looks like they finally delivered the audio drivers for Windows, I didn't realize that. That was really the only thing holding me back from installing Windows. I was just planning on using bluetooth headphones, but no need. Right on!

Last edited:

Fredrik

DECKDOOM2.jpg

stream-DOOMDeck.jpg
Yeah I have the 512GB one and a whiney fan too. But I’ve had loud fans and/or coil whine on everything (360, PS4, PS5, 3070Ti) so I’m not surprised Steam Deck have it too, it’s just my luck on these supposed lotteries. I still love my Deck. Battery life is my only issue, feels like a low battery warning is my number one reason for turning it off. But that also means I’m using it so it could be worse.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah I have the 512GB one and a whiney fan too. But I’ve had loud fans and/or coil whine on everything (360, PS4, PS5, 3070Ti) so I’m not surprised Steam Deck have it too, it’s just my luck on these supposed lotteries. I still love my Deck. Battery life is my only issue, feels like a low battery warning is my number one reason for turning it off. But that also means I’m using it so it could be worse.
It's a disappointment to get the whiney shit fan on the expensive model. I read that iFixit is looking to source a replacement. Hopefully soon.

Last edited:

jshackles

Can you give me a hand with this? I'm not very familiar with Linux. I searched in the start button for 'efibootmgr', then right-clicked it and selected run in terminal. It opened Konsole and I type 'sudo efibootmgr -o 0002,0003,2001,2002,2003' to set SteamOS first and Windows second, but it doesn't do anything, or make any changes to the order. What command am I supposed to use?
---
Side note: Looks like they finally delivered the audio drivers for Windows, I didn't realize that. That was really the only thing holding me back from installing Windows. I was just planning on using bluetooth headphones, but no need. Right on!
when you run efibootmgr, what is the output line for "BootOrder:"? Do you have 5 entries there? When I installed Windows I just had two: 0000 (Windows) and 0001 (SteamOS). I then ran

sudo efibootmgr -o 0001,0000

After that, when I ran efibootmgr again, it indicated the BootOrder was indeed set to 0001,0000 (not 0000,0001) and when I restarted my Steam Deck it would launch automatically into SteamOS. Hope this helps?

Ogbert

Uk peeps, how long did your delivery take?

I got my order on Tuesday and paid immediately! Tracking is showing ‘preadvice’, so I’m assuming it’s still in the Netherlands.

Am hoping for next Tuesday….

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
when you run efibootmgr, what is the output line for "BootOrder:"? Do you have 5 entries there? When I installed Windows I just had two: 0000 (Windows) and 0001 (SteamOS). I then ran

sudo efibootmgr -o 0001,0000

After that, when I ran efibootmgr again, it indicated the BootOrder was indeed set to 0001,0000 (not 0000,0001) and when I restarted my Steam Deck it would launch automatically into SteamOS. Hope this helps?
I believe I tried using just the 2 entries before and nothing happened. I'm having a worse issue now where none of the Game Pass games will launch, either from the Xbox App or from Steam using UWPHook. Popping a filesystem error on some titles. Steam games work fine, I was able to run 3DMark, etc. Are you running Win10, and are you able to play GP games?

Top Bottom