• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

.hacked

spent the day messing with moonlight, remote played few games of Destiny 2 and Fortnite.

Left my laptop out on my desk and could go anywhere in the house and play with no noticeable lag, just some slight audio pops. Hard to play a pvp game on such a small screen, I am getting old eyes no good any more lol

My bro got a Aya Neo Next on order, see how it compares in a few games.

Ultradsa

spent the day messing with moonlight, remote played few games of Destiny 2 and Fortnite.

Left my laptop out on my desk and could go anywhere in the house and play with no noticeable lag, just some slight audio pops. Hard to play a pvp game on such a small screen, I am getting old eyes no good any more lol

My bro got a Aya Neo Next on order, see how it compares in a few games.
How's Steam link streaming compared to moonlight? I keep hearing that it runs drastically better then native Steam streaming and have yet to set up moonlight.

.hacked

How's Steam link streaming compared to moonlight? I keep hearing that it runs drastically better then native Steam streaming and have yet to set up moonlight.

tried one game of Destiny 2, is was so low res and jaggie I could barely see what was going on, as I moved room to room it would cut out and lag. Really steam link worked better streaming to my iPad than the Steam Deck.

moonlight is 1000x better, wasn’t to hard to setup (navigation steam os in desktop mode with touch is not ideal) and think you are limted to a host pc runNing one of newer GeForce card but it works well 1st time. Only issue I had was with 2nd monitor on it would stream my laptop screen and not the gameplay screen. Just unplugged the 2nd monitor and it was fine.

worth the slight trouble setting up, if you have a good home Wi-Fi network best way to play games you can’t install and run natively on the Steam Deck.

Last edited:

Velcro Fly

Really enjoying my time with the deck so far.

I am relatively new to Steam. I never really used it much in the past. Most of the conventions of it are completely new to me. I bought this thing because of the potential I saw in it.

I'm just blown away and all I've done is load up a few games, fix the fonts on the FF pixel remasters, and check the two unverified Bioshock games to see how they run. I'm now fully invested in enjoying this thing that I preordered on a whim however long ago and wasn't even going to buy when my Q2 512 came up last week. Have not felt this excited about video games in a long time.

Fredrik

Heh I’m just fighting the same good fight, the west has been trying to brainwash us into frowning at curves but you can’t learn old dogs new tricks 😏

It actually started as a drawing, then a walk animation and now it’s a little family game project, kids are coming up with ideas on enemies and attacks, it’s fun.
Seeing it running on Steam Deck gives me all kinds of ideas, if I touch the trackpad a mouse pointer appears. New attack possibilities, maybe analog stick movement and trackpad aiming for throwing rocks? 🤔

Calverz

It's comfortable and not as heavy feeling as would be expected. It feels like a wide, textured PS4 controller in your palms, the index finger works the L1/L2 triggers, they're soft and not hard feeling, Thumb sticks feel like Xbox One sticks, D pad is more mush than click, like an SNES Dpad only it's a smooth cross. It doesn't feel flat and shallow like the more modern Dpads that came around on Wii peripherals. Reaching them all is no issue. Buttons underneath it are harder to press, like clicky square chiclet buttons on your middle fingers.

The wide stance of it makes it seem lighter, or more comfortable. The haptic thumb pads are great when they're on, feel exceptionally gross like a big flat button with horrible feedback if you switch off the haptics. The Steam & menu buttons beneath them are the worst thing about it. Flat and flush with the face, they're unresponsive rubber membranes.

Not a big deal, but I've went looking for it while holding the controller in the dark and kept having to brush up against the square pad, or ended up with my thumb putting pressure near the speaker while trying to pull up the menu.

Room for improvement, but still the greatest handheld.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I was hoping the dpad would be more clicky but think I can live with it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I tested some of the Batman games I have using beta channel with the latest updates:
-Blackgate is verified, so I didn't bother.
-Arkham Asylum still crashes when loading.*edit* The EGS version via Heroic Games Launcher works fine. Steam version is probably missing files.
-Arkham City plays if you launch it from desktop mode first. Then you can play from game mode. Runs great. Should be good for 800p/60fps with a couple tweaks.
-Arkham Origins plays great with the exception that the 2nd half of the Croc fight the sound was muted and his character model flickered. Should be an easy 800p/60fps
-Arkham Knight plays great for the most part, but heavy fog and driving fast in the batmobile can drop frames into the high 30s occasionally. Game is best played with either 40Hz|40fps or 45Hz|45fps cap.
---
-Lego Batman - Used to load and play fine, but with newer updates the controls no longer work.
-Lego Batman 2 - Doesn't load
-Lego Batman 3 - Used to load and play fine, but with newer updates the controls no longer work

Kind of fucked up that they broke the controls for Lego Batman games. I played them a couple weeks ago and they worked fine. I even tried going back to the Stable channel and it didn't help.

*edit2* It's all Lego games, even the verified titles like Hobbit, Marvel, and Lego Movie. Bastards.
*edit3* I re-imaged the Steam Deck(factory reset) and the Lego games' controls work fine again. Had to be going with the Beta channel and then reverting screwed something up

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've figured out how to launch the Steam Deck interface from Windows.

Best of both worlds, honestly. Full game compatibility, still pretty decent performance (I trimmed down my Windows 11 install pretty considerably), and the same Steam Deck UI.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It worked fine here. I am running it via Heroic (EGS).
Maybe you can help me out using this setup. I used this tutorial...
and the games play fine from the Heroic Launcher in desktop mode. However, when I use the Bash Launcher it generates the .sh script, but it doesn't put it in GameFiles, and I can see the icons/art being generated, then it disappears. I added the generated script for Arkham Asylum to Steam as a Non-Steam program and ran in Game Mode, but it didn't work at first, then I ran the Bash Launcher again and it did work. For Lego Batman 2 I can't get the script to work in Game Mode no matter what.

I'd really prefer to launch them in Game Mode so I can use Refresh and FPS caps along with FSR. I don't understand why its deleting the artwork and putting it in the wrong folder. I also don't understand what happened to make Asylum work from Game Mode, but Lego Batman 2 won't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*edit*
You can’t use Refresh+FPS or FSR for epic games in Game Mode. Looks like it’s just a convenience of not having to switch to Desktop Mode at this point.

Last edited:

Romulus

Installed a amFilm tempered glass protector on my son's 256GB unit last night using the steamy shower method. Came out really good. I've always been happy with the quality and clarity of amFilm's screen protectors. Been playing DOOM(2016) which runs fantastic on the Deck. This area in The Foundry is really heavy, so you can't hit 60fps at Ultra settings. Switched to Vulkan, dropped to High preset, disabled DoF, reduced motion blur quality, and used Ultra lighting. Looks fucking awesome and maintains a solid 60fps with rare, unnoticeable drops to mid-high 50s, even during barrel explosions with multiple enemies.
amfilm2.jpg

Thats incredible

RobRSG

Maybe you can help me out using this setup. I used this tutorial...
and the games play fine from the Heroic Launcher in desktop mode. However, when I use the Bash Launcher it generates the .sh script, but it doesn't put it in GameFiles, and I can see the icons/art being generated, then it disappears. I added the generated script for Arkham Asylum to Steam as a Non-Steam program and ran in Game Mode, but it didn't work at first, then I ran the Bash Launcher again and it did work. For Lego Batman 2 I can't get the script to work in Game Mode no matter what.

I'd really prefer to launch them in Game Mode so I can use Refresh and FPS caps along with FSR. I don't understand why its deleting the artwork and putting it in the wrong folder. I also don't understand what happened to make Asylum work from Game Mode, but Lego Batman 2 won't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*edit*
You can’t use Refresh+FPS or FSR for epic games in Game Mode. Looks like it’s just a convenience of not having to switch to Desktop Mode at this point.
You need to use the Flatpak version of the Bash Launcher using the instructions on the official Git page. It has some additional steps.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
You need to use the Flatpak version of the Bash Launcher using the instructions on the official Git page. It has some additional steps.
You posted just as I was posting. I ended up downloading the flatpak version, but I didn't read the instructions. I got it working to where I can add the game, but the artwork only showed up once automatically. I don't mind adding it manually now that I know how to do it, but I'll have to set it up correctly at some point. I still can't get the Lego games to import and run from Steam, but everything else runs fine.

EGS version of Arkham Asylum runs fine, while the Steam version crashes.
batman-EGS.jpg

I have almost 200 EGS games, so I'm determined to learn how to do this correctly.

Fredrik

Battery just died while playing Elden Ring. Once I restarted the Deck my Steam Cloud save was out of sync and I just got an error when trying to resync. Restarted the Deck. Same problem.
Nearly got a heart attack thinking I could lose my save…
Eventually fixed it by going into desktop mode and start Steam, den close Steam completely and restart it, after that my save was synced again.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think its because the steam version has denuvo while Epic's and GOG's don't.
Could be. When you launch from Steam it throws an error "dx9shader blah blah", while on the EGS version it kicks into an installation for old DX and PhysX. I assumed it was a missing library file or something.
---
On a different subject:
I did a complete reinstall/re-image(factory reset) and the Lego games' controls work fine now. I think swapping between the Stable and Beta channels messed something up. Good news, though. The Hobbit is a great game to play on Deck. Looks awesome.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Steam deck has a lot of muscle for a handheld jeez we’ll see down the road if steam continues making them

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Alrighty, I re-imaged the Deck and used the tutorial for Heroic Bash Launcher(Flatpak).

Everything works great now. The Heroic Bash Launcher worked as advertised and automatically found my installed EGS games, gathered the artwork, and added them to my Steam Library. I followed the tutorial and used the 'All User Files' toggle in Flatseal for Step 5. Everything worked, but the games initially didn't launch because I had to go into the settings for each game in Heroic Launcher and switch it to Proton 7 for Wine Compatibility. I just installed the games and ran the script, and it put these EGS into my Non-Steam library. Fucking awesome.
Heroic-Bash-Launcher.jpg

Thanks, RobRSG RobRSG for the recommendations!

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I’ve now gotten 3 endings in Chrono Tigger. I never played the DS version so this is my first encounter with that new content. I was not a fan of all the backtracking but the other stuff was all right. The new final boss was interesting but I was so overpowered it was a quick win. I am planning to get the rest of the Steam achievements for it. Overall the game holds up today. It’s a lot easier than I remembered but still a great game to play through. The game works on the Deck except for the movie cutscenes. I couldn’t get it to correctwith other versions of Proton nor the experimental version. Your mileage may vary.

I also did a play through of Labyrinth City. The cutscenes did not work but the gameplay worked well. It’s not a challenging game but was an enjoyable way to decompress after a long day. I’ve got 3 achievements remaining and I will probably just go for the, even though trying to track down the specific levels I missed stuff on is going to be annoying.

I brought my Deck with me again on this work trip. One of my coworkers wants a Deck but didn’t learn about them until way too late so his preorder is out in Q3. I‘m curious what his thoughts will be once he try’s mine out.

Overall, the Deck has become my preferred way to game. If Valve can continue to deliver performance on Linux, I might even switch my gaming pc over to Linux.

RobRSG

Alrighty, I re-imaged the Deck and used the tutorial for Heroic Bash Launcher(Flatpak).

Everything works great now. The Heroic Bash Launcher worked as advertised and automatically found my installed EGS games, gathered the artwork, and added them to my Steam Library. I followed the tutorial and used the 'All User Files' toggle in Flatseal for Step 5. Everything worked, but the games initially didn't launch because I had to go into the settings for each game in Heroic Launcher and switch it to Proton 7 for Wine Compatibility. I just installed the games and ran the script, and it put these EGS into my Non-Steam library. Fucking awesome.
Heroic-Bash-Launcher.jpg

You’re welcome, mate.

Glad I was able to help!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Heroic-Bash-Launcher.jpg

Could you see if you can run Sanitarium and Betrayal at Krondor with fast movement and low sound latency (maybe MI1&2, gog.com version) please? That would be unreal to have it as a portable.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Could you see if you can run Sanitarium and Betrayal at Krondor with fast movement and low sound latency (maybe MI1&2, gog.com version) please? That would be unreal to have it as a portable.
I tried installing and running the GoG version via Heroic Game Launcher and it crashed, even with different Wine versions. Looks like it's running on DosBox, so I downloaded DosBox linux version through Discovery and the abandonware version of Betrayal at Krondor. The game seems to run fine and the audio works, but there's some crackle, so maybe latency issue. I only selected the Soundblaster option in the install process, maybe there's a way to tweak it, but I'm not familiar with DosBox or Linux.

The game is playable, though...
7L3XKHh.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I tried installing and running the GoG version via Heroic Game Launcher and it crashed, even with different Wine versions. Looks like it's running on DosBox, so I downloaded DosBox linux version through Discovery and the abandonware version of Betrayal at Krondor. The game seems to run fine and the audio works, but there's some crackle, so maybe latency issue. I only selected the Soundblaster option in the install process, maybe there's a way to tweak it, but I'm not familiar with DosBox or Linux.

The game is playable, though...
7L3XKHh.jpg

I wasted your time and preordered before you finished haha (model with anti glare). Aside from consoles, I have a work and life Mac/iOS centred household (hey lowers admin waste / my time wasted hehe) and laptops are M1 now so would like something I can use inside, outside, and connected to the TV if needed that I can run PC software on.

The more I think about it the more an x86 portable console opens up tons and tons of things.

Thanks for checking on this CrustyBritches CrustyBritches :)! Game looks good on it too!

Last edited:

Ultradsa

Wow. There are a lot less 256GB orders I guess. I was 19 after for a 512GB and have not gotten the email.
That or production is ramping up for certain models more then others. When I ordered, I do remember the 256gb model having a lower wait time then a 512 though.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
*edit* It seems the USB-C on this hub might be just passthrough charging, or maybe my USB-C SSD enclosure wasn't reading correctly. Just a heads up.

All the hot-swapping of devices through the USB-C was driving me nuts, so I bought a USB-C hub from Amazon for $17.
Seems to work ok so far. I didn't realize that the USB-C on the hub has passthrough charging, which is a nice surprise. You get 2xUSB 3.0, 1xUSB-C, 1xHDMI-Out, 1xSD, and 1xMicroSD. That way I can plug in a keyboard, mouse, charge, connect to bigger display, and transfer from memory cards all at the same time. In hindsight it would have been cool to get one with 3xUSB 3.0 ports, so I could use KB/M, USB flash drive, and charge, but I have no problem using SD/MicroSD to transfer from my laptop, or just have it on battery and use USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter while using a flash drive.

Anyway, works good so far and seems like decent construction. We'll see how it goes over time, but I wanted to keep it as affordable as possible. I've been having back pain lately from so much hunching over while using desktop mode, so this will be a godsend.
Dock.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The more time I spend with the Deck the more I enjoy it.

I got another ending on Chrono Trigger but never got the achievement to pop up while I was on my flight yesterday. Turned on the Deck at home and the achievement now shows up on the game page/my activity feed. :messenger_sunglasses:
I thought I was going to have to beat the final boss again and get the ending twice but everything worked out fantastically well.

Spent some time playing Session on my flight. The game worked flawlessly from the bit I played.

Next few games I'm deciding on are: (finishing) Elden Ring, Final Fantasy 1 (RetroArch), Toem, Absolute Drift, & Rogue Legacy 2. I still can't believe everything is playing so well on Linux. Valves efforts here will hopefully lead to a shift in development more toward Linux, or at the very least, getting more/most games compatible with Proton.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's a great day for lazing about and playing on the Steam Deck. Rogue Legacy 2 is my go-to game at the moment and it plays great. I also picked up Dead Cells on sale.

jshackles

Since getting the Steam deck, my spend with Nintendo has gone down considerably. Except for first party stuff, I'm finding most things just play and feel better on the Deck than they do on the Switch.

It's also nice to know that the stuff I buy on Steam is going to be there for the long haul. Who knows if my digital Switch purchases will work on the Switch's successor - but I know that whatever I have on Steam is going to work on stronger and more capable hardware going forward. And since I have a pretty beefy PC, Steam Cloud makes it super easy to switch between the two devices (depending on where I am) to play the same game, whereas before I had one game I'd be playing on the Switch and a different game for when I had time on PC. My Steam library just feels like it has a lot more permanence, maybe that's because the last couple of Nintendo consoles haven't let you carry over digital purchases...

I just want to say, if you decide to buy a microSD make sure to go with at least 512GB. Between big-ass Steam games like DOOM Eternal and emu like WiiU, Switch, and PS3, a little 256GB internal+256GB microSD setup like I have fills up way too fast.

1TB or bust

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Lucky. Still waiting on mine and it was 18 minutes after the pre-orders.
The whole preorder opening was a big clusterfuck. I had 2 PCs going for me and my son, ordered the very second it went live, then it was stuck processing. I hit cancel and the second time it went through, but the actual charge/purchase time was at 12min for 256GB and 19min for 512GB.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Since getting the Steam deck, my spend with Nintendo has gone down considerably. Except for first party stuff, I'm finding most things just play and feel better on the Deck than they do on the Switch.

It's also nice to know that the stuff I buy on Steam is going to be there for the long haul. Who knows if my digital Switch purchases will work on the Switch's successor - but I know that whatever I have on Steam is going to work on stronger and more capable hardware going forward. And since I have a pretty beefy PC, Steam Cloud makes it super easy to switch between the two devices (depending on where I am) to play the same game, whereas before I had one game I'd be playing on the Switch and a different game for when I had time on PC. My Steam library just feels like it has a lot more permanence, maybe that's because the last couple of Nintendo consoles haven't let you carry over digital purchases...

1TB or bust
1tb for me as well.

Daytonabot

Banned
I got my email today as well... also 19 minutes after. I had the added mess of being at my parents' house when the reservations went live, so I had to use a combination of my phone and my mom's laptop to get it done. I am convinced that, if I were home, I would have had it ordered at least ten minutes earlier. On the upside, my excitement level has not waned at all, and I saved a boatload by stacking B1G1 10% off Wallet card with a Red Card discount at Target.

Top Bottom