• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | July 8, 2021 - Deathloop, Indies, and Third-party games.

-

Pretty sure Godfall and more so Destruction All-Stars were flops, and will probably still be worse off despite the pre-release "Deathloop bad" bandwagon.
Pretty sure Destruction All-Stars is just a PS Plus game. Godfall probably sold decent for what it is too, launching day 1 with the console.

MScarpa

PS Blog says for $10 bucks you upgrade from any original Death Stranding PS4 version to the Director's Cut Digital Deluxe PS5 version.

Which is a great deal, the Director's Cut/PS5 version adds a lot of improvements and new stuff.
Wait, can I just throw my Death Stranding PS4 disc in my PS5 and upgrade and play?

yurinka

Wait, can I just throw my Death Stranding PS4 disc in my PS5 and upgrade and play?
Yes, you can play the normal PS4 version on PS5 via backwards compatibility for free. If you pay the 10 bucks upgrade you get the Director's Cut Digital Deluxe PS5 version with all the extras.

Javthusiast

Banned
Destruction all stars
No No No GIF by Chaz French

Remember Godfall?

reksveks

Pretty sure Destruction All-Stars is just a PS Plus game. Godfall probably sold decent for what it is too, launching day 1 with the console.
Destruction All-Star got turned into a PS Plus game cause the internal sales numbers was probably shit and is really struggling for player counts by most accounts.

That's a flop by any standards.

Destruction All-Star got turned into a PS Plus game cause the internal sales numbers was probably shit and is really struggling for player counts by most accounts.

It is what it is. A PS Plus game. No official release date was even fixed for it until it was delayed for 2021. But if it makes you happy to call it a flop, I won't disagree. It is a flop, but it's not a full game, never was and it's a PS Plus game and that's all it came to be.

Kagey K

Banned
It is what it is. A PS Plus game. No official release date was even fixed for it until it was delayed for 2021. But if it makes you happy to call it a flop, I won't disagree. It is a flop, but it's not a full game, never was and it's a PS Plus game and that's all it came to be.
Is it still available on PS+ or do new PS5 owners have to buy it?

DeepSpace5D

Pretty sure Destruction: All Stars launched day and date on PS+ unless you’re referring to sales number like preorders?

Yes he's talking about preorders, and that's all speculation. No one ever knew what was the plan for that game. I'd say it was never meant to be a full game. I mean, it's $20 now. I don't think they ever expected to price that game over $40.

NahaNago

Finally watched it. It was pretty much meh. Showing games I've seen before again for the most part. I'm never buying death loop so that killed my interest at the end. But this is pretty much how Sony does things these days. I can't wait until death loop is released so I can stop hearing about that game.

CamHostage

This kind of backlash was expected regardless of the expectations set by Sony. It's just fans lashing out. Reasonable or unreasonable doesnt matter at this point. People watched as Microsoft and Nintendo went and waited a full month, and this is what they get. There is still zero promise of a bigger event. Just some vague promise of updates soon. Could just be more state of plays for already announced games. Updates? Really? No, people want a big E3 style conference. Not more state of plays.

This is on Sony. You can manage expectations all you want, but if you are gonna release an indie show you have to say hey look we have got our E3 or Summer Show planned for THIS DATE. And Then give the date and details. That's a way better way to manage expectations.

From Sony's perspective, there was no E3 this year.

(And really, from the perspective of a lot of gamers, given the sort reaction and struggle to get exposure around that whole week of mostly-misfire events, many can't help but feel the same.)

Microsoft had a pretty good showcase event (you yourself said that "MS had a C conference", so it sounds like you were still not so impressed, but especially if you're a Game Pass subscriber, this was the show MS needed after having so little to sell in 2020,) and Nintendo managed to deliver a megaton (though I bet most of us would have a hard time remembering one other game revealed at that show,) and Geoff Keighley managed to fill a few hours with fine products that were worth a glance. Most of these companies, though, did not approach this year's E3 as they usually do an E3. They're all doing their own thing, and they're all announcing little bits throughout the summer and throughout the year. June and E3 were nice times when they regularly do these things, but E3 2021 wasn't like E2 2020 and absolutely nothing like E3 2019, and the way things are going, E3 2022 may be more of 2021 than anything like before, even if the people come back.

Internet backlash goes away fast when you actually bring something to change the narrative, and the way things work now with gaming marketing, one live event can change the narrative in a day. MS and Nintendo threw down a gauntlet, but there's not the same chivalry to picking it up and dueling on demand. Sony could come out in August with the expectations-meeting event you were hoping for, and this whole conversation goes away. Or, they could fail to announce or show anything for the rest of the year, and then we'll see what happens to console sales. But if Sony really has an empty hand, it'd be pointless to fake some sort of big E3 style conference over nothing, and if they do have something/somethings up their sleeves, they didn't need to show it in July just because everybody else showed off in June, and they don't need to tell us that it's coming for us to go wild when it comes.

(*I'm with you though that it would have been nice for them to say, "August, get ready..." if it's really happening.)

Kagey K

Banned
Yes he's talking about preorders, and that's all speculation. No one ever knew what was the plan for that game. I'd say it was never meant to be a full game. I mean, it's $20 now. I don't think they ever expected to price that game over $40.
It was definitely up for 69.99 on the playstation store prior to the PS5 launch. I linked it somewhere on this forum at the time.

Arkane makes some fine games and the formula may seem very similar to their last games Prey/Dishonoured but they are pretty damn fun
and im kicking myself i didnt play death of the outsider on release as the 120fps patch on gamepass got me trying it out and im hooked again

If Deathloop is as fun and open-ended as that game then its a great game to have on ps5

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
From Sony's perspective, there was no E3 this year.

(And really, from the perspective of a lot of gamers, given the sort reaction and struggle to get exposure around that whole week of mostly-misfire events, many can't help but feel the same.)

Microsoft had a pretty good showcase event (you yourself said that "MS had a C conference", so it sounds like you were still not so impressed, but especially if you're a Game Pass subscriber, this was the show MS needed after having so little to sell in 2020,) and Nintendo managed to deliver a megaton (though I bet most of us would have a hard time remembering one other game revealed at that show,) and Geoff Keighley managed to fill a few hours with fine products that were worth a glance. Most of these companies, though, did not approach this year's E3 as they usually do an E3. They're all doing their own thing, and they're all announcing little bits throughout the summer and throughout the year. June and E3 were nice times when they regularly do these things, but E3 2021 wasn't like E2 2020 and absolutely nothing like E3 2019, and the way things are going, E3 2022 may be more of 2021 than anything like before, even if the people come back.

Internet backlash goes away fast when you actually bring something to change the narrative, and the way things work now with gaming marketing, one live event can change the narrative in a day. MS and Nintendo threw down a gauntlet, but there's not the same chivalry to picking it up and dueling on demand. Sony could come out in August with the expectations-meeting event you were hoping for, and this whole conversation goes away. Or, they could fail to announce or show anything for the rest of the year, and then we'll see what happens to console sales. But if Sony really has an empty hand, it'd be pointless to fake some sort of big E3 style conference over nothing, and if they do have something/somethings up their sleeves, they didn't need to show it in July just because everybody else showed off in June, and they don't need to tell us that it's coming for us to go wild when it comes.

(*I'm with you though that it would have been nice for them to say, "August, get ready..." if it's really happening.)
Dont really disagree with anything you said. I agree that they can easily change the narrative with a somewhat decent show after the disappointing MS and Nintendo conferences. Just 2-3 demos like the Horizon demo will be good enough for most people.

kyliethicc

On September 16 2020 Destruction All Stars was announced as a $70 launch game for PS5. Day 1 release, full price.

C5ezzu8.jpg

And then later in September it was once again stated as a launch game.

5kNzWh2.jpg

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
On September 16 2020 Destruction All Stars was announced as a $70 launch game for PS5. Day 1 release, full price.

C5ezzu8.jpg

And then later in September it was once again stated as a launch game.

5kNzWh2.jpg

It’s a Ps+ game and therefore not a flop. 🤪

Same with the guy above that says it was never planned as a full price game, and everyone is speculating.

This kind of backlash was expected regardless of the expectations set by Sony. It's just fans lashing out. Reasonable or unreasonable doesnt matter at this point. People watched as Microsoft and Nintendo went and waited a full month, and this is what they get. There is still zero promise of a bigger event. Just some vague promise of updates soon. Could just be more state of plays for already announced games. Updates? Really? No, people want a big E3 style conference. Not more state of plays.

This is on Sony. You can manage expectations all you want, but if you are gonna release an indie show you have to say hey look we have got our E3 or Summer Show planned for THIS DATE. And Then give the date and details. That's a way better way to manage expectations.

Yes, MS had a C conference, but you look at the horizon and you see a good dozen or so already announced games. Doesnt matter if they are coming this year or five years from now. The fans are willing to wait. Just like how we waited five years for FF7 and Shenmue. I think Sony needs to show its fanbase the future, and I dont mean stuff they had lined up for 2021 that got delayed into 2022. Showing GoW, Horizon and GT7 isnt gonna cut it. FF16 and Forspoken are not gonna cut it. People want to see the future. The next gen masterpiece. I never understood why MS fans were ok with pre-rendered trailers for Hellbalde, Redfall, Starfield, Perfect Dark, Fable, State of Decay, Avowed, Forza 8, The Outer Wilds and Everwild, but then I read through that list and was impressed by the sheer number of AAA single player narrative driven games MS has in the works. Sometimes thats enough. Also both Nintendo and MS had just as many Bs and As as they did Cs and Ds. Clearly, the fans were happy.

But then again, If Horizon, GoW and GT7 were next gen only and just a few months away, people would not be this antsy and ready to explode. This backlash Sony is getting didnt happen in a vacuum. This has been building up since last year. The generations comment then a complete 180 a few months later. Then more misleading people about GoW and GT7 for months. PS3 and Vta store closings. Misleading statements about PC ports. Charging $10-30 for Next gen upgrades even greedy third parties like EA and smaller indie studios like the Mortal Shell devs are offering for free. Absolutely no new next gen game announcements. This is a powder keg waiting to explode. If Sony wasnt killing it with Demon Souls, Miles, Returnal and Ratchet, you would be seeing an even bigger backlash.

To that I say, get used to the complaining. Get used to seeing more of these comments. I was pretty much the only one complaining last year, now its half of the forum. Every day Sony waits to announce their E3 style conference is a day people grow more and more anxious and find something to get worked up over.

Yeah, from a results standpoint I don't have any issue with PS5, it's been pretty amazing in terms of hardware and content.

But the messaging is frustrating. Leaving gamers in the dark for ridiculous periods of time only to drop a random blog post. They don't give their audience any expectations of major events, which really is just annoying at this stage more than anything else. The mystery of the PS5 is over, time to at least give definitive timelines of when you expect to have a big show.

reksveks

Cheers for that link, yes there are some assumptions from our part but i and probably others am struggling to see why a game goes from being announced as a game that you have to buy at launch for 70 to being free for ps+ users (at a point in time where you don't need to incentive ps5 owners to get ps+) to now 20 quid without it falling below expectations.

Kagey K

Banned
Cheers for that link, yes there are some assumptions from our part but i and probably others am struggling to see why a game goes from being announced as a game that you have to buy at launch for 70 to being free for ps+ users (at a point in time where you don't need to incentive ps5 owners to get ps+) to now 20 quid without it falling below expectations.
Probably the answer is the game sucks, and Sony realized it.

Its not that hard to figure out, but everybody wants to spin spin spin.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Whatever Sony does moving forward, they need to figure out a way to inject some personality into these State of Plays. It's really making me long for the days of Kaz Hirai E3 Powerpiont presentations that showed sales figures for the PS2 and how it was dominating the competition.

engstra

They need to come out and say without giving a exact date yet, yes we are doing a big show this summer or we are doing small sops over the summer to set expectations.
The amount of posts similar to this on this thread..... I really can't understand this anger and demand for Sony to show all their cards. Why are people so upset? They don't have any obligation to share any information if they don't want to. Obviously they have a strategy for how and when they're going to show off games and make announcements.
It would be fun if they do a big show later this year but it's equally as likely that they will do more focused smaller showings like State of Play throughout the year to show off GOW, GT7 and PSVR2.
Why stress about when/if they show off the games? New games are coming out no matter what

MastaKiiLA

No. It was rumored to be in June. Then it was rumored to be in July. Now its rumored to be in August.

And that August rumor came from 4chan. The bastion of integrity.

I dont know whats more idiotic. People falling for 4chan rumors month after month or people assuming Sony wont have anything which is not something anyone here have speculated. Everyone just wants Sony to show more. I actually went back two pages and searched for "nothing" and all I see are people complaining about people saying Sony has nothing to show, but I dont see anyone actually making that argument.

Worst thing I have seen is that people want Sony to just announce an event so we can stop hanging on to 4chan rumors and have something more concrete than just we will have some updates. I really dont know why this is so controversial. EVERYONE here wants Sony to show more. Why are we even fighting amongst ourselves here? This is like dumb Civil War. At least Iron Man was pissed at Captain America for protecting his mom's murderer.

EDIT: Anyway, I am done discussing this. If someone wants to reply thats fine, but I wont be replying back here and might just take it to PM. We are just going in circles and neither side wants to see the other side's point of view.
It's all been rumors. Sony has never committed publicly to any date. So if people want to feign outrage at no big event in July, then they're welcome to. They're also welcome to some of us calling them idiots, since the latest of the rumors puts the show in August. Sony has to operate on their schedule. They've now had at least 3 SoPs this year for R&C, HFW, and Deathloop. They appear to be currently focused on promoting near-term games that need to have sales. All the while, they continue to have a better release schedule this year than their competition. Not good enough? Who the hell cares? They'll look at their bottom line, and see that they still have the console with the most demand, and it sells every unit made. They're not in need of a show to bolster sales of hardware, so logically, focusing on bolstering sales of software makes sense. That's what the SoPs are intended to do.

Are Sony running a business, or a fanclub? Are Sony needing to change a fabricated narrative that barely exists on fringe enthusiast forums like this one, or do the vast majority of their paying customers already understand that their platform has games, and will have games going forward? Nintendo does its own thing, and I don't see this bipolar panic crop up for them all the time. They release information when they see fit, and everyone understands that's how they do, and they continue to sell hardware like gangbusters. Sony releases information when they see fit, and somehow a vocal minority insists that they must somehow follow the patterns of MS, who actually do have to change a narrative. It's MS that has the narrative of not having games, and the XSX lineup so far only serves to reinforce that stigma. The 2 companies have different needs and strategies, and market leader shouldn't be aping the challenger's strategy. It's throwing good money after bad, because Sony stands to gain very little by having a show now featuring games that are years off into the future. They won't sell a single additional console, and all they end up doing is overshadowing real games that are launching this year, by promoting big name titles that won't see the light of day until late 2022, or 2023.

So, should they approach things as a fanclub or a business? This is a business, and if you don't know that the PS5 will have a strong lineup of titles for years to come, then why the hell would you even buy one? This isn't something you should have to be told. The track record of the brand speaks for itself.

As a diehard PlayStation fan I'd rather SONY do 1 or 2 big events a year that drop bombs and get us foaming at the mouth (in a good way!) rather than 30 min milquetoast State of Plays every 6-8 weeks that hit less like a ton of bricks and more like a handful of wet tissues. Yes, Deathloop looks cool af, we already knew this months ago, in Arkane I trust. Everything else besides FIST was one shade below meh (Sifu looks interesting but again, we already knew that after the *last* SoP).

This isn't about PlayStation's ability to deliver, they've done so every single gen, have already done so early into this gen and I've never ever doubted them. This is about getting the fanbase excited, creating buzz, generating anticipation and these SoP's just haven't been cutting it. I'll talk shit about Nintendo all day long but I'll also always give credit where it's due. Say what you want about their Direct's but there is *almost* always one big announcement and it's usually one that was completely unexpected/unknown up until that point and oh, the game is coming out in 2 months, Merry Christmas! If PlayStation really wants to keep going forward with the SoP format (which in principle I have no problem with) we need more of that.

It’s a Ps+ game and therefore not a flop. 🤪

Same with the guy above that says it was never planned as a full price game, and everyone is speculating.
If never launched as a $70. It's a $20 game. Whatever the plan was for the game and its content post-launch that prompted them to price it $70 we may never know. As it is, it was a very mismanaged project. It is a flop. But evidently it was cut back on any original pretensions they had for this project. As launch got closer very little of the game was known, it wasn't nearly as advertised as other games like for example, Godfall. So there, end of story. If you think releasing a game for $70, and let it bomb hard for a month, then cutting the price down to $20, is the same as releasing as a PS Plus game and priced at $20, then I think you need to take a look at Xbox software sales, I guess we can say all their games are flops since they produce $60 games and have no other choice but to give them away on Game Pass, because otherwise not many people buy them.

Top Bottom