• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

reinking

Gold Member
Space wiafus!
So Excited Reaction GIF by Originals

Still have it on my ssd should I give it a second chance can’t seem to get into it when I tried.
I Stopped playing around the 63 hour mark. The xbox app for PC says Last Played: N/A. I guess it gave up counting.
I was doing side stuff, haven't played in so long I forgot everything I was doing or what I have or where anything is.
If I get back into Starfield I'll have to restart from the beginning. Maybe a few months after the expansion drops.
I might as well recover the drive space for now. 127GB of install just sitting there.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I Stopped playing around the 63 hour mark. The xbox app for PC says Last Played: N/A. I guess it gave up counting.
I was doing side stuff, haven't played in so long I forgot everything I was doing or what I have or where anything is.
If I get back into Starfield I'll have to restart from the beginning. Maybe a few months after the expansion drops.
I might as well recover the drive space for now. 127GB of install just sitting there.
Its pretty easy to jump in. Pick a quest from the menu and it points where to go.

Punished Miku

Bit of a easy trick you can do if you want XP is turn both ship difficulty modifiers to extreme when doing quests and anything on the ground for an additional easy +12%. Then just pause and go back to normal for a ship fight.

Mooreberg

Late to the party, but I got started with this last night, just put an hour in to get my character set up and get onto the ship. I picked an Industrialist because it had both of the persuasion and hacking abilities I wanted. For traits, I picked Hero Worshipped, Neon Street Rat, and Taskmaster.

Two questions:

01. Without really knowing the economy of the game or how quickly you can earn credits, I passed on having the large mansion available at a cost of 125,000 credits each week. I'm guessing you can buy something similar better down the line?

02. I know Neon Street Rat gains me favor with the faction on Neon, and results in increased bounties when I do something around other factions that the don't like, but it doesn't necessarily prevent me from being able to get side missions from every faction, correct? I don't typically run around causing random mayhem, so I don't see it being a problem.

Just wondering about these two aspects any other advice people have for a "new" player, before I commit more than 50 or so minutes to it.

Punished Miku

Late to the party, but I got started with this last night, just put an hour in to get my character set up and get onto the ship. I picked an Industrialist because it had both of the persuasion and hacking abilities I wanted. For traits, I picked Hero Worshipped, Neon Street Rat, and Taskmaster.

Two questions:

01. Without really knowing the economy of the game or how quickly you can earn credits, I passed on having the large mansion available at a cost of 125,000 credits each week. I'm guessing you can buy something similar better down the line?

02. I know Neon Street Rat gains me favor with the faction on Neon, and results in increased bounties when I do something around other factions that the don't like, but it doesn't necessarily prevent me from being able to get side missions from every faction, correct? I don't typically run around causing random mayhem, so I don't see it being a problem.

Just wondering about these two aspects any other advice people have for a "new" player, before I commit more than 50 or so minutes to it.
1. You can get other places.
2. You can join all factions.

Atrus

Gold Member

Two questions:

1. You can buy other homes but none that are like that mansion, which is actually the largest home.

2. None of the faction background choices truly matter aside from some uncommon to rare dialogue choices. Some, like the religious ones, barely matter at all to the point they might as well be considered wasted space. You can join all factions.

Mooreberg

1. You can get other places.
2. You can join all factions.

1. You can buy other homes but none that are like that mansion, which is actually the largest home.

2. None of the faction background choices truly matter aside from some uncommon to rare dialogue choices. Some, like the religious ones, barely matter at all to the point they might as well be considered wasted space. You can join all factions.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Does the Mansion become burdensome to pay 125K a week for? Seems like the credits and the trait are better used on other things. The Neon Street Rat seems like it would be worth keeping? Also, there is no trait swapping option later on, right?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Does the Mansion become burdensome to pay 125K a week for? Seems like the credits and the trait are better used on other things. The Neon Street Rat seems like it would be worth keeping? Also, there is no trait swapping option later on, right?
I never did the mansion trait so I cant say, but that sounds like a lot.

I had Neon Street Rat. Its fine. Just a few unique dialogue options at times. Its minor and mostly for roleplaying.

You can find ways to rid yourself of traits (some have negative elements) but not gain new ones. New game+ you can reset with all new traits.

Atrus

Gold Member

It’s not $125,000 per week. Honestly money is easy enough to come by where that amount isn’t a problem whatsoever so money shouldn’t impact your decision. Picking up and selling weapons generates a lot of income.

You’ll have more than enough options for housing if you skip on the mansion, it’s just that none are as big. It’s also true that as far as traits go, having yet another home is probably not as useful compared to something like Terra Firma or Extrovert which is active most of the time.

In hindsight, I would pick from the ones that offer known benefits, like a boost to combat on land, or give you an adoring fan, a house, or parents over ones that side with a faction or place. I don’t find the religion or faction based traits worth keeping.

Last edited:

buenoblue

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I started playing a couple weeks ago as I updated to a 4070ti. Played 29 hours and I'm just collecting artifacts and temples and I gotta say I'm pretty bored and the story is non existent. Does it get better?

mitchman

Gold Member
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I started playing a couple weeks ago as I updated to a 4070ti. Played 29 hours and I'm just collecting artifacts and temples and I gotta say I'm pretty bored and the story is non existent. Does it get better?
So some of the other side mission lines, they're better than the main mission. But when they are done, there isn't a whole lot else.

Fredrik

Creations: First impression is - too little, too late. Not much to get hyped over, yet. Most creators has left the game a long time ago now, such a bummer. But we’ll see if some return.
I think the game needs some hype and positivity to pull in some new blood to make it worth investing time building stuff. Not sure how they could do that. Could do good on Switch 2 if they could get a port to run well-enough. Not sure about PS, does anyone there want to play it, all I hear is negativity?

Anyhow, I will try some combat with my late game melee build. It was already easy so I assume I’ll be OP after the update. I’m kinda stuck at the end in the big starborn space fight before the big fight. I have the razorleaf now at least so maybe it’s time to try again.

Punished Miku

Creations: First impression is - too little, too late. Not much to get hyped over, yet. Most creators has left the game a long time ago now, such a bummer. But we’ll see if some return.
I think the game needs some hype and positivity to pull in some new blood to make it worth investing time building stuff. Not sure how they could do that. Could do good on Switch 2 if they could get a port to run well-enough. Not sure about PS, does anyone there want to play it, all I hear is negativity?

Anyhow, I will try some combat with my late game melee build. It was already easy so I assume I’ll be OP after the update. I’m kinda stuck at the end in the big starborn space fight before the big fight. I have the razorleaf now at least so maybe it’s time to try again.
Just a reminder you can go in the game settings now and tweak multiple aspects of difficulty.

If your melee is overpowered, you can decrease your damage for an XP boost. If you're stuck on a ship fight, you can tweak that too.

P.S. Thirst and hunger seem to be working now. They weren't before. Finding food is easy, but it can sometimes be easy to get dehydrated without drinks.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

I’m 40 years old, have a great paying job, my wife makes way more money than me, have sex regularly, own a 4 bedroom home, have 3 kids and 4 pets. I don’t care about video game achievements or trophies.
That's fine lol. I was just was saying. I'm level 97 and my last achievement is hitting level 100, so I might as well.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My wife just asked if I’m going to spend more time messing around with MOD’s, or playing the game. Only answer I could think of was, “yes.”

Jooxed

Gold Member
Lol, walking around as Batman. I need to dive back into Starfeild. I fell off because it felt bland to me. Didnt make it veyr far in the main story. Should I give it another chance or wait for the expansion?

I just hit 2 days played yesterday. Absolutely loving it. There's so much to do - I haven't even touched much of it yet (ship building, outposts, crafting, research, smuggling, bounty hunting, trade runs etc) or really done much of the main quest. I've been mainly doing side quests and collecting the stuff from Vlad (vague to avoid spoiling). I really enjoyed my first battle in zero gravity. Was struggling a bit with ship combat until I accidentally managed to disable, board and then steal a much better ship. Also been working a bit on completing some planet surveys to sell the data.

First game in a long time that I'm thinking about when I'm not playing it. I'm not going to really touch creations until I've finished the game and got whatever achievements I get for doing that - I don't chase them, but I do like to sometimes look back on my play history.

I hope they keep building on this - they have an incredible foundation for a long running space adventure. Such a shame that they didn't wait a few more months to release it, and also that the fact that it was an Xbox exclusive drew the fire from the warriors, because it's absolutely worth playing (for fans of Bethesda RPGs at the very least) and seems to be getting better and better.

Top Bottom