• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield originally had a voiced protagonist

Draugoth

Gold Member
Deus Ex voice actor Elias Toufexis was initially cast to voice the male protagonist in Bethesda's latest sci-fi RPG Starfield, before the developer decided to follow in the footsteps of previous title like The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim to go with a silent protagonist.

“Yeah it’s true,” said Toufexis in a post on X.

@cissyspeaks [Cissy Jones] and I were originally the player voices in Starfield. We worked for months. When they decided the player should be voiceless they gave Cissy and me Andreja and Sam Coe.

The voice actor went on to praise the developer for keeping keeping himself and Jones on to voice prominent companions after making the decision to go with a voiceless protagonist. “Games NEVER do this,” said Toufexis. "Once you’re out, you’re out. Good on Bethesda”.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fallout 4's voiced protagonist was ho-hum at best, so I'm OK with this choice personally. Others may disagree and that's ok too.

FingerBang

Good thing, Bethesda. I still think the non voiced character breaks immersion a lot for me, but people like making their own character and I don't know, imagine they're the hero of the story of crap like that.

Sleepwalker

I dislike silent protagonists most of the time. I can't see how cyberpunk would be better with a silent V for example. Or how everyone talks in Zelda except link who's an autistic mute.

Last edited:
Lets go boys another Starfield thread!
mLt1Xsn.gif

* I have never played Starfield but I assume there is Alien Races you can interact with and/or have sex with. Todd would never let us down.

…but then Todd was like: nah, what worked for Oblivion works for FO3, Skyrim, FO76, FO4 and Starfield. Bet nobody‘s gonna notice!

Kurotri

I don't get the timing of this. Starfield started dev after Fallout 4 and a voiced protag was one of the main complaints of that game. You're telling me they tried again anway and wasted their own time and the voice actor's time for no good reason?

Fredrik

Good decision. I’m not a fan of voiced protagonists in first person, they always sound wrong and it’s immersion-breaking.
Cyberpunk was alright though.

Happy they did not voice your character. I love having a voiced character in games where I am playing a character in a story, but in Bethesda you make your own character and decide who you want to be. I also don't trust Bethesda's writing. I cannot handle having a few of their companions follow me around because they are already written so poorly (Looking at you Sarah and Barret).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In Deus Ex you play as JC. In Starfield you play as your own character. There’s a difference.
You’re given the appearance of playing as your own character. The game still plays out exactly the same regardless of dialogue. New Vegas was so good at this.

Top Bottom