• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

zeldaring

Banned
oh that link gives me different scores for everything

days gone 91.29%
GOW 95.5%
sekiro 94.22% for such a hard game to get such a high user score really solidifies as the best fucking game ever.
Elden ring 91.40%
spider man 94.80%
starfield 80.14%
resident evil 4 remake 96%

yea ouch for starfield, pretty much agree with most user reviews at least for my tastes anyway.

Last edited:

Gudji

oh that link gives me different scores for everything

days gone 91.29%
GOW 95.5%
sekiro 94.22%
Elden ring 91.40%
spider man 94.80%
starfield 80.14%
resident evil 4 remake 96%

yea ouch for starfield, pretty much agree with most user reviews at least for my tastes anyway.
I think it's because when you're reading the reviews on steam it usually has the "your language" filter applied. If you remove it it will give the same thing as the steamdb website.

Last edited:

Hoddi

For anyone still on the fence:

cVIx8ss.png

Von Hugh

Sharing my personal opinion on the review score is not "shitting on the game" especially when my opinion still puts the game in the green territory.

But that comment isn't even from this thread. Negotiator101 Negotiator101 blamed for "shitting on the game" when I merely shared the updated Steam user reviews.

What opinion? If you have an opinion on the score and you haven't even played the game, then, by default, your opinion is biased.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
What new does Starfield do that Skyrim didn’t except prettier, bigger?
Why is that a bad thing? Its still a gameplay formula practically nobody else does.
Look at Witcher 1, Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 and tell me you don’t see a studio improving their craft with each game, not only when it comes to graphics
Didn't TES improve either?
(which also are not that much improved with Starfield because once again they used Gamebryo
You aren't explaining why they used Gamebryo again. Its because there is a lot of custom code that makes things tick, similarily to how COD uses the IW engine which was originally Quake 3 based. There is not much of a trace there left.
and once again they pretended they didn’t).
Source?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
A load of one hour playtime negative reviews are showing up now.
There is even a thread in the forums where someone is asking if its possible to buy a game, leave a negative review, then refund the game on Steam.

get a life people ffs. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Looking at this positively, most negative reviews would be by players with less than 2 hours.

Because you can submit a refund request on Steam only if you have played for less than 2 hours. So if somebody didn't like the game, they had to stop playing and refund the game. They're more likely to submit a negative review than a positive one, of course.

Those who leave positive reviews can do so after 7-10-20 hours. But those that must refund the game in less than 2 hours don't have that option.

Stuart360

Looking at this positively, most negative reviews would be by players with less than 2 hours.

Because you can submit a refund request on Steam only if you have played for less than 2 hours. So if somebody didn't like the game, they had to stop playing and refund the game. They're more likely to submit a negative review than a positive one, of course.

Those who leave positive reviews can do so after 7-10-20 hours. But those that must refund the game in less than 2 hours don't have that option.
Yeah there is the 2 hour refund limit obviously but my point is how can you judge a game like this in 1 hour, some people wouldnt even be out of character creator after 1 hour lol.

Last edited:

Gp1

i'm 10 hours in and i still can't see how you can't be disappointed with a space exploration "shooter" rpg that miss the point on the "space exploration" part. and the "shooter" serviceable at the best.

It's not a bad game, but it's nowhere near the level of Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

They didn't even included the local maps. You have to remember where are the shops in New Atlantis, a city 3x bigger than Mass Effect's citadel.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah there is the 2 hour refund limit obviously but my point is how can you judge a game like this in 1 hour, some people wouldnt even be out of character creator after 1 hour lol.
There are many divisive reviews out there, ranging from 6s to 10s. Those who are skeptical and want to test if the game is for them or not would not spend 1 hour in the character screen of course lol.

They'd try to spend as many of their allotted 2 hours playing in-game, trying to make a decision to keep the game or refund it.

Stuart360

There are many divisive reviews out there, ranging from 6s to 10s. Those who are skeptical and want to test if the game is for them or not would not spend 1 hour in the character screen of course lol.

They'd try to spend as many of their allotted 2 hours playing in-game, trying to make a decision to keep the game or refund it.
Suuuure. There is stuff you have to do before the character creation, and i think even if you were rushing, i dont think yuo could get to contellation in an hour, and that the start of the game technically.

But maybe you're right, maybe all these 1 hour negative reviews bought the game in good faith and really wanted to give the game a proper shot.

Edit. I would also love to hear your reasoning about that Steam thread i posted above.

Last edited:

Bkdk

I have to admit that I'm totally wrong about steam user reviews and extremely shocked that this actually gets above mostly positive. I expect it to be mixed to mostly negative. For me this is definitely the worst vanilla release despite least bugs overall, sense of exploration is almost entirely gone other than a few big cities. Main quest is 70% boring plus repetitive. Companions are awful with one sided morals. At least I still kind of like piper and cait in fo4. Only thing that kept me keeping it is mod support and the console commands, glad those manage to stay.

geary

Suuuure. There is stuff you have to do before the character creation, and i think even if you were rushing, i dont think yuo could get to contellation in an hour, and that the start of the game technically.
You cannot get to the Constellation in 1 hours, if you play for the first time, unless you do this intentionally and know exactly how the missions are structured. And in that case is a targeted rush/speedrun

Last edited:
i'm 10 hours in and i still can't see how you can't be disappointed with a space exploration "shooter" rpg that miss the point on the "space exploration" part.
The official website claims “explore with unparalleled freedom”. I guess they have never played Skyrim.

Reactions: Gp1

Elysium44

Banned
Yeah but if you have an enormous game like Starfield playing under 10 hours let alone 2 is laughable.

Some people will refund it for performance reasons which aren't going to get any better after two hours.

Nobody is saying you can experience the whole game in two hours but you can usually have a good idea, and it's a lot of money so... people will tend to err on the side of caution if they aren't having a good time by that point.

Last edited:

kirby007

playing an rpg fewer then 2 hours is like going a footy and leave after 10 minutes, you missed the the game, sure after fulltime the match still could have sucked dick
Quite sure i wasn't out of the sewers in obliv at that point in time
but if are you that retard that wants to take that chance be my guest

BlueLyria

A game shouldn’t need 2+ hours to capture your interest.
I know a lot of people kept saying "It gets better after x amount of hours", some publications even settled on 12 hours of gameplay. I really like some games that takes multiple hours to be enjoyable, or extremely niche titles that even with multiple hours they never really get that good. (Compile Heart games, Oneechanbara, Love those games but they're not really even 7/10 material), But these games drop you in and make sure to grab your attention within 30 to 45 mins max. a game shouldn't take 2 hours to be engaging or enjoyable, and I don't fault anyone who asks for a refund within that timeframe. (That goes for all kinds of games)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We all know this will goto overwhelmingly positive at some point. Once this week all blows over it will raise and then once patches hit and dlc but that will take like 18 months to two years and the warriors will have moved on.

What a wild ride.

Why are people so insecure with Microsoft having a decent game that they are literally willing to buy a game to leave a negative review and then get a refund. I've never heard of that before in all my years of gaming. Some fanboys are fucked up.

Last edited:
Why are people so insecure about this game? 86 is a good score. No need to try and convince people it's something more and the reviews are wrong. I've put in close to 30 hours now and the game is an 8/10 at best for me personally and I'm a big Bethesda fan who has played every game they made. Am i a troll? Is my opinion wrong?

No need to make it to be more special than it is. It's another good Bethesda game. Not their best but still good. Yet we have insecure threads like this and the David jaffe one trying to convince everyone how amazing the game is. Stop being insecure and go enjoy the game instead of wasting time on here trying to convince everyone how awesomely perfect it is. If others are disappointed or trolling, who cares? The only opinion that should matter to you is your own.

Last edited:

BlueLyria

KOTOR 2 is probably one of the best RPG's ever made but the intro is so bad a mod exist to skip the intro entirely.
People dislike the KOTOR2 intro? I loved that even as a child, maybe it's annoying on repeated playthroughs, but it's a great intro to the game for a 1st time player

DaGwaphics

A load of one hour playtime negative reviews are showing up now.
There is even a thread in the forums where someone is asking if its possible to buy a game, leave a negative review, then refund the game on Steam.

Edit.

get a life people ffs. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You knew that was going to happen with the buzz about it online. There are only so many people that can be this pathetic though, so, in a month or two these should be made irrelevant in the averages (on the sites that support the review bombs in the stats). You've got to wonder if some of them are actually eating the $70 just to try and get a review in that actually counts towards the Steam average. Money in the bank for Bethesda regardless, I guess. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You've probably got some making the purchase and posting a review with just a few minutes of play time, figuring they can keep the reviews up for 13 days and refund at the last minute. Certainly a group that needs to reevaluate some things, LOL.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
It will end up at 90+ once patches, DLC and mods kick in.

Yep, pretty much how all Bethesda games end up.

Even Fallout 76 is in the 70's now and if I'm not mistaken that was in the 50's at launch.

Fallout 4 launched w/ a 68% Steam rating & now it's over 80%.

People have short memories.

Starfield will end up 90%+ like you said.

yuik4Z9.jpg

Edit: Keep laughing, your tears taste great jm89 jm89 & yazenov yazenov 😘

Last edited:

ZehDon

Not just played, invested. They paid 150% of the normal cost of the game to play it a few days early. They are either going to be fans that will take whatever comes their way, or they will be trying to rationalize their decision. The fact that 11% of people who have a major sunk cost (financially and emotionally) into this game still post a negative review is significant.
Or, they could be much harsher due to the additional outlay. If they’d review a AUD$125 game as a 9/10, but they’d actually paid $175 for it, isn’t there an equal chance they’d review it less favourable?
You’re trying to dismiss the positives and amplify the negatives. Point in case: 89% of people with dozens of hours in the game were very happy with it, but you haven’t mentioned that once.

I was sucked into Skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4, New Vegas, and Oblivion’s worlds within the first hour.

Those are from two generations ago when open world games were still new and fresh.

RDR2 was boring for a very long time for me and it ended up being one of my favorites of all time.
Forbidden West was a slog and I ended up dropping it, and I finished Zero Dawn.
Cyberpunk was another boring one for a while and I ended up really liking the game.

Top Bottom