• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield 1.8.83 beta patch offers significant performance improvements on PC

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

A 20-30% improvement on a 10700K when CPU-limited.

Another 10-15% on a 4080 when GPU-limited.

Those big performance updates such as was the case with Gotham Knights really make me think that very little time and money is funneled towards optimizing their games. This comes right around the same time as Larian revealing the huge memory management enhancements they got with BG3 thanks to having to optimize the game for the Series S. Those benefits will trickle down to other platforms as well.

It also brings DLSS (for some reason, I thought it was already in there), DLAA, Reflex, and Frame Generation.

The notes also state:

[PC Only] Add some GPU performance optimizations, which will be more impactful on higher end cards.
[PC Only] Improved renderer threading model, improving CPU usage most notably on higher end systems.
Various stability and performance improvements

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You mean to tell me it wasn't already optimized like he said on live TV?

todd-howard-bethesda.gif

Crashes after 5-10 minutes with DLSS3 frame generation enabled for me (or NVIDIA Reflex since this is forced on for frame gen). RTX 4080 using the 546.08 hotfix driver for Alan Wake 2.

Works fine otherwise - played for an hour - with DLSS Quality although in typical Bethesda fashion the DLSS setting itself doesn't save, keeps resetting to Ultra Performance for me. The only way I was able to select DLSS Quality was by resetting the graphics options which thankfully sets the graphics to the Ultra preset with DLSS Quality and frame gen enabled (the latter setting at least does save when you disable it and exit the menu).

Yes, it is beta but, c'mon, the least I would have expected was for the DLSS settings to function properly and actually save because that is basic testing 1,2,3, right!

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

That is pretty impressive. Shame I pushed myself to finish the game before this came out and now I have no reason to revisit it, lol.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I didn't notice any improvement on my rig but it's nice to see DLSS finally being officially added to the video settings.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Crashes after 5-10 minutes with DLSS3 frame generation enabled for me (or NVIDIA Reflex since this is forced on for frame gen). RTX 4080 using the 546.08 hotfix driver for Alan Wake 2.

Works fine otherwise - played for an hour - with DLSS Quality although in typical Bethesda fashion the DLSS setting itself doesn't save, keeps resetting to Ultra Performance for me. The only way I was able to select DLSS Quality was by resetting the graphics options which thankfully sets the graphics to the Ultra preset with DLSS Quality and frame gen enabled (the latter setting at least does save when you disable it and exit the menu).

Yes, it is beta but, c'mon, the least I would have expected was for the DLSS settings to function properly and actually save because that is basic testing 1,2,3, right!
PureDark's DLSS 3 mod would crash all the time, too. I figured it was just as a result of being a mod, but it's seeming like it's inherent to using DLSS 3 FG with this engine.

clarky

Gold Member
If I have the DLSS mod installed does it make any difference to the official in game version?
From my limited testing the beta patch is far superior to the mod, especially if you have access to frame generation. Ive gone from 40fps lows in cities without mods, 55ish with the dlss mod to never below 90. Will continue to be my chill out/hangover game.

PureDark's DLSS 3 mod would crash all the time, too. I figured it was just as a result of being a mod, but it's seeming like it's inherent to using DLSS 3 FG with this engine.

I actually used the other DLSS3 frame gen mod with Starfield and it was perfectly fine. I had no issues at all with it. This beta patch though seems to crash when I use it but I have decent FPS without it so it's not a big deal. Would be nice to be able to set DLAA though (which I was using the frame gen mod previously) but the DLSS settings are currently bugged and don't save (it keeps reverting to Ultra Performance).

From my limited testing the beta patch is far superior to the mod, especially if you have access to frame generation. Ive gone from 40fps lows in cities without mods, 55ish with the dlss mod to never below 90. Will continue to be my chill out/hangover game.
That's great news.

But, will having the mod installed cause any issues?

Like, it won't nullify/override the official in game version or something, will it?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I actually used the other DLSS3 frame gen mod with Starfield and it was perfectly fine. I had no issues at all with it. This beta patch though seems to crash when I use it but I have decent FPS without it so it's not a big deal. Would be nice to be able to set DLAA though (which I was using the frame gen mod previously) but the DLSS settings are currently bugged and don't save (it keeps reverting to Ultra Performance).
I just tried it and it keeps reverting to DLSS 'Balanced' on me. In my case it doesn't seem to be 'Ultra Performance' since the image quality is still quite good. They definitely fixed the performance in CPU-bound areas like MAST around the pools. I was able to put crowd density on High and get above 60fps at settings that would result in 45-50fps previously.

After playing 50hrs in the first couple weeks I took a break since I was tired from working all the time and going on a couple trips. Seems to have paid off since the game runs much better now. Shame devs do this kind of stuff where you are basically punished for playing at launch.

clarky

Gold Member
I just tried it and it keeps reverting to DLSS 'Balanced' on me. In my case it doesn't seem to be 'Ultra Performance' since the image quality is still quite good. They definitely fixed the performance in CPU-bound areas like MAST around the pools. I was able to put crowd density on High and get above 60fps at settings that would result in 45-50fps previously.

After playing 50hrs in the first couple weeks I took a break since I was tired from working all the time and going on a couple trips. Seems to have paid off since the game runs much better now. Shame devs do this kind of stuff where you are basically punished for playing at launch.
Pretty much my experience to a tee.

Plays so much better now i need to get back into it, shame the game is so user unfriendly, took me about 20 hours to learn the menus. Can i be arsed relearning the most unintuitive game of all time?

Probably not, shit was hard enough to get into first time round.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Pretty much my experience to a tee.

Plays so much better now i need to get back into it, shame the game is so user unfriendly, took me about 20 hours to learn the menus. Can i be arsed relearning the most unintuitive game of all time?

Probably not, shit was hard enough to get into first time round.
The menus are definitely unintuitive, but that won't stop me from dropping another 40-50hrs into it. Aside from being busy, the biggest issue I had was the DLSS 3 FG crashing along with the poor performance in areas like MAST. With the new update I don't *need* FG anymore since it seems to have a solid 60fps compared to the 45-50fps I was getting before.

Verchod

So I've noticed with DLSS inthe Beta, if you select DLSS quality, for example, you can see it alter the render scale bar near the top of the page. If you exit the page then return, it may say DLSS balanced but has kept the render scale setting from before. At least that's what I've experienced.

ebevan91

So I've noticed with DLSS inthe Beta, if you select DLSS quality, for example, you can see it alter the render scale bar near the top of the page. If you exit the page then return, it may say DLSS balanced but has kept the render scale setting from before. At least that's what I've experienced.

Mine automatically goes to Ultra Quality unless I select Auto if I exit the menu and go back.

Top Bottom