• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws: Behind The Scene Video Shows New Footage

Seems like they'll finally reach the level of fidelity shown in pre-release The Division footage:
I've said this in a previous thread, that it's possible graphical potential will eventually reach a point to where Ubisoft bullshots won't be bullshots anymore. I don't know if it will be this gen or next gen, but that moment is coming sooner than later.

It's the classic line graph where one line eventually catches up to the other.

See what happens when you don't use Tim Sweeney engine 4 EA?!! learn from this please
To be fair this is Ubisoft. I don't think it matters which engine they use, they always try to make really gorgeous games. It's their strong suit, and if they teamed up with someone who cared about fun variety gameplay segments as much as Ubisoft cares about presentation, the combination of both companies would be unstoppable.

Last edited:
I've said this in a previous thread, that it's possible graphical potential will eventually reach a point to where Ubisoft bullshots won't be bullshots anymore. I don't know if it will be this gen or next gen, but that moment is coming sooner than later.

It's the classic line graph where one line eventually catches up to the other.
They overestimated the power of ps4 and Xbox that's why they downgraded see the interview https://www.videogamer.com/news/wat...ck-of-info-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-says-producer/

Fuuuuuuuu!!! Game looks insane!
Bro

Half of the vídeo is cgi

The other half is the game itself wich is not on par with the first half.

Also, even the gameplay reveal is decieving.

Its absolutely impossible to have the same exact gameplay on all plaform.

Thats whay they did. They published the exact same gameplay and only changed the prompts aligned with the plataform (saquare and x for PS and A and B for xbox/pc), so they are faking it somehow.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have actually been quite enjoying The Division 2 and it has made me hopeful that this won't be the kind of mess AC games have been. I also love the protag design, she's so cute and they're obviously taking her in a confident/sassy Han Solo kind of vibe and I love that kind of protag.

CGNoire

Bro

Half of the vídeo is cgi

The other half is the game itself wich is not on par with the first half.

Also, even the gameplay reveal is decieving.

Its absolutely impossible to have the same exact gameplay on all plaform.

Thats whay they did. They published the exact same gameplay and only changed the prompts aligned with the plataform (saquare and x for PS and A and B for xbox/pc), so they are faking it somehow.
Nice catch. Your correct a good chunk of what they just showed was pre-rendered CGI from the "teaser" not from the realtime gameplay or cutscenes shown in the infamoue gameplay reveal. They interleaved them like that on purpose.

Ubisoft you sneaky sneaky bastards you.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Cutscenes, and there is clearly gameplay too.
People are gushing over Spider-Man 2 story cutscenes elsewhere. How about we keep the same energy here? The game looks amazing. And it’s open-world. It’s worth the praise. 👌
Nah he is correct. A large chunk of what they interleaved in this was from the prerendered cgi teaser not the realtime gamplay reveal.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Prerendered or cutscene who cares there are plenty of behind the character/spaceship/speeder scenes which is clearly from gameplay as well, and it looks amazing.
Yes it looks good but the shots that are cgi look significantly better.

Dr.D00p

The Snowdrop engine is the only decent renderer that Ubisoft has.

The AC games would look so much better if they used it instead of the outdated turd of an engine they currently use.

Sybrix

It's looking promising, however always be worried when its a Ubisoft game.

Really hope Ubisoft don't poison it too much.

Last edited:

The AC games would look so much better if they used it instead of the outdated turd of an engine they currently use.
I'm a bit hyped for AC Project Red. Would be awesome if they used Snowdrop, since apparently it will be current gen only.

Fredrik

There is usually a reason for everything when it comes to seemingly stubborness of iterating on old engines. I’m guessing the engine they use for AC make the free climbing mechanic and animation system easier and maybe some underlying game system we can’t see at the surface level. They haven’t shown anything in SW Outlaws that makes it look free like AC when it comes to traversal.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm not gonna watch it because I don't want to spoil too much of the game for myself before it comes out. I've seen enough to know that I absolutely want to play this but otherwise, I prefer going in as blind as possible.

I have no doubt that it looks absolutely stunning, though.

CGNoire

I'm not gonna watch it because I don't want to spoil too much of the game for myself before it comes out. I've seen enough to know that I absolutely want to play this but otherwise, I prefer going in as blind as possible.

I have no doubt that it looks absolutely stunning, though.
There is really no new footage outside brief 1 second flashes here or there which take place in the same areas you have already seen before.

99% of whats shown is the cgi teaser footage interleaved with the gameplay reveal footage nothing anywhere close to spoilery.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

They overestimated the power of ps4 and Xbox that's why they downgraded see the interview https://www.videogamer.com/news/wat...ck-of-info-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-says-producer/
True, the whole 'everything is downgraded' has always been uninformed cringe. Vertical slices are usually off target but are meant as a assembly of different ideas and mechanics for the team and pitch. Development realities (especially when the target SKU's turn out weaker then expected) usually come after.

Gorgon

I thought this is a big Unisoft sandbox like assassin's creed or farcry.

What exactely counts as sandbox is fuzzy, but what I meant in this case is that Starfield will be like the other Elder Scrolls titles, or things like Kingdom Come, etc. I think Outlaws will be more like just doing mission after mission, pick up secondary missions if you do some exploration and find some secondary NPCs, etc, but nothing really that allows you to "live the life" of the main character and see the world react to what you do.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I assess every game by giving a lunch room table pitch to my theoretical friends.

"It's a fairly standard Ubisoft open world, with a splash of Uncharted (production values, cutscenes) thrown in."

Unless I'm wrong, and there's a component I'm missing, this doesn't seem to be the AAA champion I hope all games become.

Musilla

HQR2XnI.gif

HQR2hGt.gif

Fredrik

It'd be funny if this turned out better than Starfield
Hard to compare those two. Both are open world but Starfield is a sandbox too, which I doubt this is.
I thought this is a big Unisoft sandbox like assassin's creed or farcry.
Yes.

But it's not a Bethesda sandbox.
Lol one is a RPG and the other an action adventure why even think about this? Could just as well do Spider-Man 2 versus Baldur’s Gate 3 too while you’re at it. Or maybe Cities Skylines 2 versus Starfield, you can build houses in both games.
🙄

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
True, the whole 'everything is downgraded' has always been uninformed cringe. Vertical slices are usually off target but are meant as a assembly of different ideas and mechanics for the team and pitch. Development realities (especially when the target SKU's turn out weaker then expected) usually come after.
The footage I linked to is from 2014, LONG after Ubisoft was informed of the capabilities of the last-gen consoles.

Gorgon

Lol one is a RPG and the other an action adventure why even think about this? Could just as well do Spider-Man 2 versus Baldur’s Gate 3 too while you’re at it. Or maybe Cities Skylines 2 versus Starfield, you can build houses in both games.
🙄

I don't think being a RPG or not is really where the difference is. I would say that something like Red Dead Redemption 2 and even GTA are not only open-world but are also sandbox, for example. Far Cry, Assassins Creed, LA Noire, or even The Witcher series are open world but I wouldn't call them sandbox myself. And most RPGs historically have not been sandbox either. And, you can also have a sandbox that doesn't have a 3D open-world or even an "open-world" at all. So, Outlaws could theoretically be a sandbox in this context, RPG or not, but I seriously doubt it will be. But I fully admit that the dividing line isn't clear cut and I don't have a perfect water-tight definition to offer.

Some people these days even call Assassins Creed an RPG while for others what we call an "Action RPG" isn't a "true" RPG. There's also a lot of historical contingency for what we call X or Z, so it's not always that helpful. Table top RPGs have also undergone huge changes in design during the last 20 years for what is to be expected from an RPG, but most people have missed those because they only play old and well established big IPs like D&D. And fanboysm and tribalism is rampant in that comunity too, which further muddles the discussion.

The only thing we can do is to be a bit more specific regarding what we mean ourselves when using a term while trying to take into account the term's historical usage. Other than that we just have to accept the unavoidable mudiness and imperfection inherent to most definitions.

Anyway, I think we all have a good idea of how Outlaws is gona play out, so I don't expect any real surprises there.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don't think being a RPG or not is really where the difference is. I would say that something like Red Dead Redemption 2 and even GTA are not only open-world but are also sandbox, for example. Far Cry, Assassins Creed, LA Noire, or even The Witcher series are open world but I wouldn't call them sandbox myself. And most RPGs historically have not been sandbox either. And, you can also have a sandbox that doesn't have a 3D open-world or even an "open-world" at all. So, Outlaws could theoretically be a sandbox in this context, RPG or not, but I seriously doubt it will be. But I fully admit that the dividing line isn't clear cut and I don't have a perfect water-tight definition to offer.

Some people these days even call Assassins Creed an RPG while for others what we call an "Action RPG" isn't a "true" RPG. There's also a lot of historical contingency for what we call X or Z, so it's not always that helpful. Table top RPGs have also undergone huge changes in design during the last 20 years for what is to be expected from an RPG, but most people have missed those because they only play old and well established big IPs like D&D. And fanboysm and tribalism is rampant in that comunity too, which further muddles the discussion.

The only thing we can do is to be a bit more specific regarding what we mean ourselves when using a term while trying to take into account the term's historical usage. Other than that we just have to accept the unavoidable mudiness and imperfection inherent to most definitions.

Anyway, I think we all have a good idea of how Outlaws is gona play out, so I don't expect any real surprises there.
It’s just that it’s vastly different games. Even on a surface level. And I don’t know if Outlaws is like Assassin’s Creed, haven’t seen anything point to that and the studio has never made an AC game.

Looks great but I will never not want to make my own character. I'm always more invested when I can make my own avatar that represents what I want to play and then role play and grow that character. I'm not sure why that isn't the industry standard at this point.

Top Bottom