• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor |OT| - Judge me by my file size, do you?

Luipadre

Apparently RT Reflections are turned on even on Performance mode on both Xbox Series X and PS5. This might explain the poor performance all around.

eAJ3iW2.jpg

Are they fucking dumb? wtf respawn. Give us an RT toggle and i bet the performance will be fixed in both modes. My god this is so fucking dumb. Dont force RT on these consoles especially if you cant optimize your games

GymWolf

Gold Member
For people who is having tearing or borked hdr on ps5 you can try this:

(From reeee)

1)VRR wasn't turning on natively, so make sure to tick the box that says "apply to unsupported games" in the PS5 screen settings and BOOM, VRR working as intended and smooth sailing in performance mode on PS5.

2)Some have fixed by going into console HDR settings and ensuring the 3rd screen for black levels is not set at minimum. Even just upping it 1 has fixed in last few pages for some. Can look back and read their posts.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

It seems they left RT ON when you choose performance mode, that's one of the main reasons why the game struggles in such mode.

Btw, there should be an option to deactivate Cal's hair physics, similar to what Capcom did with RE4R. They look so fucking weird and blurry...

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Last edited:

Mozza

Can't wait for this, but I am prepared to be heart broken with day 0 performance.

Please, please run well.....

Doubts it.
Which is why I never buy day one, wait for the price to drop, and some of the bugs to be fixed... win win situation for me.

I mean £62 for the regular version, and it runs like crap.... they must be having a tin bath. ;)

Last edited:

SCB3

Couple of hours in and yea this is gonna be one of my GotY's again like the first game, this whole section is 1313 and it makes me wanna see that game again, the new stances are pretty cool as well, the Dual Sabres being a fast favorite of mine

Banned
Are they fucking dumb? wtf respawn. Give us an RT toggle and i bet the performance will be fixed in both modes. My god this is so fucking dumb. Dont force RT on these consoles especially if you cant optimize your games

I don't think the RT is the issue, it's a general CPU issues. the game drops frames like crazy even if you look up to the sky.

and she RT of course has a CPU cost, I don't believe it's that much of a cost that turning it off would result in good framerates.

Elog

Have the game both on my PC and the PS5. Will play on the PS5.

Firstly, the game has great environment geometrical detail and texture quality. Really a next-generation game in that regard. Faces and animations are good but not great. Story has been really great so far. More input lag than I like.

Comparing my PC (7950/4090/32GB RAM/M2SSD/Win11) on max with my PS5 (quality mode) I do not really see a visual difference. I'm sure there is one with a microscope but while playing they are very comparable. However, the stuttering and fairly frequent frame drops on the PC makes it not nice to play (for me). My PS5 basically provides a stable FPS experience in-game.

The PC stutters at predictable points - when plenty of new geometry/ textures are coming into view (and this is often). Some of it is probably fixable within the game without simply downgrading graphics but I think we are hitting some hard limits for I/O here within the windows/PC architecture framework. Would love to be wrong but I do not think I am.

TLDR: PS5 version is great and very playable. Would buy that version without hesitation if this is your kind of game.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I’m going to finish the game today. Don’t feel skanked at all. It’s better than the original.
This has probably been answered but how is the map on this one? I went back after years and best the first one in January but I gave up at like 95% of the way through the Plat cause I couldn't take it anymore.

I saw there's a function to put a way point on the map but how's the lay out? Is it still hard to read or tell what floor your on?

Luipadre

I don't think the RT is the issue, it's a general CPU issues. the game drops frames like crazy even if you look up to the sky.

and she RT of course has a CPU cost, I don't believe it's that much of a cost that turning it off would result in good framerates.

RT is increasing the CPU usage a ton. Also consoles sucks at RT so its definitely the issue. RT has a huge cost especially on console. Turning that shit off would result a better resolution and much closer fps to locked 60

Last edited:
This has probably been answered but how is the map on this one? I went back after years and best the first one in January but I gave up at like 95% of the way through the Plat cause I couldn't take it anymore.

I saw there's a function to put a way point on the map but how's the lay out? Is it still hard to read or tell what floor your on?

It’s the same type of map layout, but they don’t seem to have the half dozen different map layers that could make things confusing in the original (at least on the maps I’ve seen so far).

Banned
RT is increasing the CPU usage a ton. Also consoles sucks at RT so its definitely the issue. RT has a huge cost especially on console. Turning that shit off would result a better resolution and much closer fps to locked 60

I don't think it's the issue.

you can have scenes in this game with large vistas, vegetation everywhere, distant rock formations etc, and run at a locked 60fps on Series X.
but then you go into the first open hub area, with arguably the same amount of detail, and suddenly 30fps with stutters every other second.

to me this seems clearly like the game having issues loading too NPCs, enemies and interactive objects.
because as soon as you look at a just as detailed backdrops, zero framerate issues or stutters

turning RT off would help, but it would be just a small bandaid on a gigantic wound that is the terrible CPU optimisations

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Now that I've finish the first planet I gotta say it's a fantastic segment: gets you back into the world amazingly well and sets things in motion quite nicelely.

And those clips from the old mantis crew

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Umbasaborne

Banned
Whats the point of console rt if its half assed most of the time? Why put the time into that mode on consoles when that horse power can go into other things?

fazzk7

Neo Member
Is there a consensus on Xbox series X vs PS5 for which one is better performance? Trying to decide which one to get it for, thanks!

Whats the point of console rt if its half assed most of the time? Why put the time into that mode on consoles when that horse power can go into other things?
1) It's easy to implement (though not easy to optimize)
2) it's marketable (marketing depts probably love throwing the RT buzzword around)
3) It looks great in promotional screenshots

MiguelItUp

The deeper I get into this, I'm some how able to love it more and more. It really is an improvement over the last game in every single way. You're really hyping me up on getting further ManaByte ManaByte 👀

Last edited:

Lysandros

Apparently RT Reflections are turned on even on Performance mode on both Xbox Series X and PS5. This might explain the poor performance all around.

eAJ3iW2.jpg

I would be wise to remove this compromised fanboy's shit from the site. He is a banned source here, completely unreliable and untrustworthy.

Banned
Is there a consensus on Xbox series X vs PS5 for which one is better performance? Trying to decide which one to get it for, thanks!

PS5 has better performance, but if you wanna play in performance mode and you have a 120hz VRR TV you should go with the Xbox version.

performance mode has tearing and is extremely unstable, so without VRR it's really bad, and the PS5 version doesn't have a 120hz mode, so as soon as you drop below 48fps it will be shit, and it does that a lot

if you wanna play in the 30fps mode the PS5 might be the better choice.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

PS5 has better performance, but if you wanna play in performance mode and you have a 120hz VRR TV you should go with the Xbox version.

performance mode has tearing and is extremely unstable, so without VRR it's really bad, and the PS5 version doesn't have a 120hz mode, so as soon as you drop below 48fps it will be shit, and it does that a lot

You don't necessarily need a VRR TV with series X as unlike PS5 it supports now relatively cheap Freesync Monitors.

Why oh why they didn't do the same with PS5 beggars belief.

fazzk7

Neo Member

if you wanna play in the 30fps mode the PS5 might be the better choice.
Thanks for the summary! Currently no 120 Hz VRR TV so I guess PS5

bbw_lover87

The game crashed my PS5 3 times this morning. All on the first big planet. It’s shutting down the console completely and to turn it back on again you have to separate it from the power and plug it back in. WHAT THE FUCK is this?!?!
Got the same too when i got there game crashed 2 time damn

ManaByte

Gold Member
9 hours in. Feeling close to the end. I think there’s one last ability to unlock based on some blocked progression. So so so so good. Story is 100x better than the original. Soundtrack is great as well. I love the High Republic version of the Force theme.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
The exploration areas are better than the Ragnarok ones, apart from that crater/dragon area.

It's a big upgrade from Fallen Order. Well-made and detailed environments, hefty and substantial side-missions, and most importantly, they don't repeat too much. You usually don't exactly know what you are getting into before you get there.

Another thing they do very well is all the different characters. In the first 4-5 hours alone I met so many creatures and people that I like. Especially that frog guy. He's the best.

Nankatsu

9 hours in. Feeling close to the end. I think there’s one last ability to unlock based on some blocked progression. So so so so good. Story is 100x better than the original. Soundtrack is great as well. I love the High Republic version of the Force theme.
9h in and already near the end? Are you rushing through or what? That sounds incredibly fast.

Also that B-1 battle Droid on the Koboh cliff, the one with dilema :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SCB3

Holy shit that first side mission is rough, facing
a fucking Rancor
this early, it can pretty much one you, a real begginners trap

ManaByte

Gold Member
9h in and already near the end? Are you rushing through or what? That sounds incredibly fast.

Also that B-1 battle Droid on the Koboh cliff, the one with dilema :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Not doing any side quests yet.

There’s more I want to say about it and why what this game does shows why I hated the art design of BioWare’s KOTOR so much, but it’ll have to wait due to spoilers.

Wow, picked up the game against my better judgement and holy shit is it not nice on PS5. HDR issues + performance mode frame rate drops + game isn't sharp. Guess it's "hope this gets patched soon" time

I haven't encountered any bugs on ps5 except the broken HDR bug.

HDR totally borked on PS5, performance mode runs like total shit it's appalling.

Why the fuck can't these publisher's just let the Devs finish a game properly before releasing...

Seems like a good game but the performance is killing the game for me right now.
There's a pretty quick fix for this that I posted earlier. It looks like the the game doesn't play well with system HDR calibration black levels set all the way to 0.

Last edited:

SCB3

Not doing any side quests yet.

There’s more I want to say about it and why what this game does shows why I hated the art design of BioWare’s KOTOR so much, but it’ll have to wait due to spoilers.
My biggest issue with KotOR was always how clean it was and how little the SW universe seemed to not advance at all in 4000 years until the Empire came along

Madflavor

I'm about 8 hours into the game, did a lot of exploration. I went to Doma's shop and purchased that Keycard that unlocks that door in the shop. As soon as I selected it my game crashed. I booted it back up, and I reloaded my save. Crashed at the loading screen. I booted it up once again, chose "Load Game" to try loading from a previous save, but there's only one save. I tried to load again, crashed again.

I can't believe this. Did I seriously just completely lose all my progress and have to start the game from the beginning due to a glitch?

Edit: I fixed it. I went through a laundry list of potential fixes until I booted the PS5 in Safe Mode and cleared my cache. Btw, terrible idea letting us have only one save file in this game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It seems they left RT ON when you choose performance mode, that's one of the main reasons why the game struggles in such mode.

Btw, there should be an option to deactivate Cal's hair physics, similar to what Capcom did with RE4R. They look so fucking weird and blurry...

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF
Say what you will about re4 but i was able to massively improve the performance of the quality mode by turning off RT, hair strands, depth of field, motion blur and chromatic aberration. That gave me back like ten fps and it was pretty much a locked 60 fps in the high res mode.

Last edited:

Freeman76

On XSX does performance get any better? I beat the first area and it was choppy as fuck, felt like 20fps at times even in perf mode

Nankatsu

I suppose you're not supposed to be tackling the rancor so early in the game? He chops my ass so easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom