• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Picard Season 3 |OT| The Next Generation's Fifth Movie

First episode is trash... opens with Beverly Crusher 1v3ing with a giant phaser rifle and committing war crimes ffs.

"Welcome aboard sirs, my Captain is a dickhead!" instantly let me know the asshole captain was going to be a white male :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Captain By the Book Dickhead wakes up to find his ship essentially commandeered, goes to the bridge... hears about an unauthorized shuttle departure...

Okay cool, classic:
"Beam them back!"
"Tractor beam!"
"Lay in an intercept course, full impulse!"
"Security, take Commander Hansen to the brig!"

Nope... "Seven you're in big big trouble ... also I'm just going to walk off the bridge so uhh Seven... I guess you still have the conn"

ManaByte

So does this just ignores season 1/2?
Basically. Characters from those seasons are in it, but are sort of reintroduced. Raffi explains she works for Starfleet Intelligence while Seven talks about how Janeway and Picard got her to join Starfleet.

AJUMP23

First episode is trash... opens with Beverly Crusher 1v3ing with a giant phaser rifle and committing war crimes ffs.

"Welcome aboard sirs, my Captain is a dickhead!" instantly let me know the asshole captain was going to be a white male :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Captain By the Book Dickhead wakes up to find his ship essentially commandeered, goes to the bridge... hears about an unauthorized shuttle departure...

Okay cool, classic:
"Beam them back!"
"Tractor beam!"
"Lay in an intercept course, full impulse!"
"Security, take Commander Hansen to the brig!"

Nope... "Seven you're in big big trouble ... also I'm just going to walk off the bridge so uhh Seven... I guess you still have the conn"
THe new Captian is the smart one, but he is going to come around to doing things Picards way.

On Titan when the walls fell. Borg lady 7 will be a Captain at the end.

ManaByte

They actually said ‘dickhead?’

ab2978fbecb9ab7d7d6d86fd3f80d1b7.gif

Pagusas

Elden Member
I liked it. Felt like I could jump from Nemsis to this without too much issue. Can just pretend Picard 1 and 2 never happened.

Last edited:
They actually said ‘dickhead?’
That wasn't a literal transcription but I mean... this is the show with Admirial "Sheer Fucking Hubris" so never say never. It was more Seven crying that the captain deadnamed her and wouldn't use her Borg identity and that he's a shitty dinner host.
First Contact Theme = Sold
It was kind of the opening theme, not the ending theme, except they did the thing they've done with movies over the last however many years where they put the opening credits right before the ending credits so that you get into the movie right away and have a contractually obligated creditsgasm at the very end. I wonder if that's an actual change for this show or if it was just for the first episode. Not a huge fan of the concept.

Anyway this is some real member berries shit:
season 20 20x1 GIF by South Park

Picard actually had a pretty nice theme already. And the FC theme here is kind of a cock-block... like it was just about to hit that climax and then... fuck you we're onto the TNG theme.

ManaByte

Picard actually had a pretty nice theme already. And the FC theme here is kind of a cock-block... like it was just about to hit that climax and then... fuck you we're onto the TNG theme.
It’s technically not the TNG show theme. It’s the ending of Goldsmith’s Life is a Dream from STV.

It’s technically not the TNG show theme. It’s the ending of Goldsmith’s Life is a Dream from STV.
That's a fun fact. I knew it wasn't the exact standard TNG theme since it didn't have the abrupt ending. It's all basically just the ST:TMP theme at the end of the day.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Watch it, liked it👍
Although I do find it odd the ships look more like the old designs.
It was understandable with other shows/films as they was set back then.
The insides looks more advanced and futuristic but they do in all the newer treks
But the Enterprise D still looks like it's from the future in comparison externally which is odd.

Last edited:

Locutus

So when does it get good? All the glowing critic reviews make me think it must pick up, but the first episode was not great.

I suppose this episode was…fine. As per usual, Frakes as Riker was great. The Titan’s bridge set is cool.

It was a real bummer to see Raffi again. She is the worst.

I hate to be the canon nerd, but I couldn’t believe it when Seven ordered the helm to leave space dock with “thrusters at one quarter impulse power.” How is it possible that a whole room of Star Trek writers don’t know that thrusters and impulse power are different propulsion systems in Star Trek?

For me, the first episode was not a promising start. I hope it gets better.

That wasn't a literal transcription but I mean... this is the show with Admirial "Sheer Fucking Hubris" so never say never. It was more Seven crying that the captain deadnamed her and wouldn't use her Borg identity and that he's a shitty dinner host.

It was kind of the opening theme, not the ending theme, except they did the thing they've done with movies over the last however many years where they put the opening credits right before the ending credits so that you get into the movie right away and have a contractually obligated creditsgasm at the very end. I wonder if that's an actual change for this show or if it was just for the first episode. Not a huge fan of the concept.

Anyway this is some real member berries shit:
season 20 20x1 GIF by South Park

The first time I heard swearing in Star Trek was the second time in my life I suffered a broken heart.

ManaByte

I hate to be the canon nerd, but I couldn’t believe it when Seven ordered the helm to leave space dock with “thrusters at one quarter impulse power.” How is it possible that a whole room of Star Trek writers don’t know that thrusters and impulse power are different propulsion systems in Star Trek?

Hell hath frozen over:

Pagusas

Elden Member

If you are going to be that guy, then actually check the thing you are complaining about to make sure you aren't the one incorrect. She did not say Thrusters at one quarter impulse power. She said "Aft Thrusters, One quarter Impulse Power".
8Sj8yxS.jpeg

Last edited:

Thaedolus

If you are going to be that guy, then actually check the thing you are complaining about to make sure you aren't the one incorrect. She did not say Thrusters at one quarter impulse power. She said "Aft Thrusters, One quarter Impulse Power".
8Sj8yxS.jpeg
That’s still kinda nonsensical isn’t it? Thrusters plus impulse? Anyway, plan to give Ep 1 a shot when I have some time tonight

Pagusas

Elden Member
That’s still kinda nonsensical isn’t it? Thrusters plus impulse? Anyway, plan to give Ep 1 a shot when I have some time tonight
Not really, Thrusters have to be used to clear the dock, then you engage impulse power to clear the station (ish, Kirk does it this way at least). She's giving a sequential order, one tightened up for TV/editing. Also this whole sequence was a nod to Star Trek VI.

One of my favorite fan additions to STVI actually shows this:

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Not really, Thrusters have to be used to clear the dock, then you engage impulse power to clear the station (ish, Kirk does it this way at least). She's giving a sequential order, one tightened up for TV/editing. Also this whole sequence was a nod to Star Trek VI.

One of my favorite fan additions to STVI actually shows this:

God every time I see anything ST VI I want to go watch it. That bridge and the movie Enterprise = 👌

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Someone has played Portal.
I thought exactly the same thing at that moment

I'd like to pretend that all the TNG movies didn't exist, except probably for Generations. Yeah it's the least loved in some ways but that film, despite huge flaws, was the only one to deliver a tiny piece of TNG-style themes and delivery from Picard, when it came to his desire for a family, death of his nephew, etc. First Contact was already too far gone into generic scifi action thriller and the franchise never recovered.

It's still all dark mood lighting - wouldn't everyone in Starfleet ships have permanent eye strain living in barely lit environments? - with the plot appearing to be more Abrams-Trek superweapons, pointy giganto-ships and terrorist attacks on the Federation, with a soupcon of skulking around degenerate nightclub environments and silly mystery box naming conventions ('red lady', 'hellbird', etc.).

Those are the worst aspects of the season, to be sure, and already on full display. Everything tries to be darkly lit scifi again, which is just tiring; and the Abrams style trash writing is still everywhere. Did Matalas secretly still use the old team for filling out the scripts? I hate this "magical mysterious keyword / key to everything" nonsense with a passion and it's extremely anti-Star Trek.

What the hell was that Hellbird "add 3 to every digit" nonsense? Crusher sends him a ridiculous keyword that requires he just happen to mention it to Riker? And she sends it to his old comm badge in a box which he very easily might not have heard sitting in a closet? All this extremely corny fate / mystery writing is just awful.

Don't get me started on "red lady," which also just happens to be in the Raffi scenes. I know they're not fully serious about fixing the problems of Picard S1 & S2 because they brought Raffi back. What the hell is wrong with these people? Every scene she is in (and sadly it looks like they'll pair her up with Worf on a mini side adventure in upcoming episodes, ruining his scenes with her presence) is absolutely awful to watch, she's a bad enough actress and character to singlehandedly ruin an episode if you keep bringing her onto the screen.

Bottom line so far: it has all the hallmarks of recent Nu-Trek sadly, but it is still infinitely better than S1-S2. Right now it feels like the OP title here, a "fifth TNG move." That's not a compliment, because TNG was ruined by its own movies. But this is clearly back in the range of those films (not right for the franchise, but mildly watchable with a few good moments), rather than being something as catastrophic and embarrassing as S1-S2.

Edit - I did appreciate the closing music and imagery, very nice. And other than being too dark, the production value of sets was good, nice little uses of things like LCARS. So much better than the designs from S1/2.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Edit - I did appreciate the closing music and imagery, very nice. And other than being too dark, the production value of sets was good, nice little uses of things like LCARS. So much better than the designs from S1/2.
They brought back a lot of the TNG crew members who are still around.

I thought exactly the same thing at that moment

I'd like to pretend that all the TNG movies didn't exist, except probably for Generations. Yeah it's the least loved in some ways but that film, despite huge flaws, was the only one to deliver a tiny piece of TNG-style themes and delivery from Picard, when it came to his desire for a family, death of his nephew, etc. First Contact was already too far gone into generic scifi action thriller and the franchise never recovered.

Those are the worst aspects of the season, to be sure, and already on full display. Everything tries to be darkly lit scifi again, which is just tiring; and the Abrams style trash writing is still everywhere. Did Matalas secretly still use the old team for filling out the scripts? I hate this "magical mysterious keyword / key to everything" nonsense with a passion and it's extremely anti-Star Trek.

What the hell was that Hellbird "add 3 to every digit" nonsense? Crusher sends him a ridiculous keyword that requires he just happen to mention it to Riker? And she sends it to his old comm badge in a box which he very easily might not have heard sitting in a closet? All this extremely corny fate / mystery writing is just awful.

Don't get me started on "red lady," which also just happens to be in the Raffi scenes. I know they're not fully serious about fixing the problems of Picard S1 & S2 because they brought Raffi back. What the hell is wrong with these people? Every scene she is in (and sadly it looks like they'll pair her up with Worf on a mini side adventure in upcoming episodes, ruining his scenes with her presence) is absolutely awful to watch, she's a bad enough actress and character to singlehandedly ruin an episode if you keep bringing her onto the screen.

Bottom line so far: it has all the hallmarks of recent Nu-Trek sadly, but it is still infinitely better than S1-S2. Right now it feels like the OP title here, a "fifth TNG move." That's not a compliment, because TNG was ruined by its own movies. But this is clearly back in the range of those films (not right for the franchise, but mildly watchable with a few good moments), rather than being something as catastrophic and embarrassing as S1-S2.

Generations can be a tough watch but I totally get what they were trying to do with it. I have a lot of respect for it as a somewhat failed project.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Generations can be a tough watch but I totally get what they were trying to do with it. I have a lot of respect for it as a somewhat failed project.
Generations LOOKS like how I wanted the TNG films to look, colorful but lots of dynamic lighting and high production qualities, but it still FELT like TNG, and that makes me so sad given it wasn't a great plot. As much as I love First Contact, I blame it alot for the sudden shift away from the TNG aesthetic and losing the feel of the series. Insurrection gets too much love, I find it a horrible film. And Nemesis is just dog shit.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Insurrection gets too much love, I find it a horrible film. And Nemesis is just dog shit.

People love Insurrection? I wasn’t aware of that, honestly.

I’m willing to say that ep 1 of season 3 is already better than Insurrection and Nemesis. I hate those films. Outside of Raffi’s scenes this is already a better watch than either of them.

Pagusas

Elden Member
People love Insurrection? I wasn’t aware of that, honestly.

I’m willing to say that ep 1 of season 3 is already better than Insurrection and Nemesis. I hate those films. Outside of Raffi’s scenes this is already a better watch than either of them.
Yeah, lots of TNG fans I've met say "it feels like a TNG episode and its the best of the TNG films" I hate those people.

Ulysses 31

Sounds like Season 3 actually is way better if even Nerdrotic has a lot of praise for it. :messenger_winking_tongue:

But mainly because some other guy had full reign for this season instead of the guy that did season 1 & 2.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Yeah, lots of TNG fans I've met say "it feels like a TNG episode and its the best of the TNG films" I hate those people.
It does feel like an episode, just not an amazing one. And it’s not the best TNG movie. Those people are on crack.

ManaByte

But mainly because some other guy had full reign for this season instead of the guy that did season 1 & 2.
Before he made the masterpiece that was 12 Monkeys, Matalas got his start as Rick Berman’s PA on Voyager and Enterprise. He was there to see the stage doors close for the final time on the last day of filming Enterprise.

Last edited:

Locutus

8Sj8yxS.jpeg
This makes me feel a little better. Thank you. I suppose I could wonder why she engaged the aft thrusters and impulse at the same time, but instead I will spend my day wondering whether Starfleet still prohibits impulse power inside space dock.

Ulysses 31

Before he made the masterpiece that was 12 Monkeys, Matalas got his start as Rick Berman’s PA on Voyager and Enterprise. He was there to see the stage doors close for the final time on the last day of filming Enterprise.
So a way better choice than Kurtsman ever was to do anything Star Trek then. :messenger_winking_tongue:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
If it felt like a TNG episode it would definitely be my favorite film. But it doesn’t.

I think people are confused by the minor things like it having a small planet and shore leave feel, but they ignore how the writing feels nothing like TNG, particularly the idiotic villain plot. Feels like an entirely different flavor of sci-fi, and a cheap one.

It's my first time hearing this. Insurrection's been sneered at since it's release and I've never heard anyone say much good about, in person or on the internet.

Personally I don't think it was bad but it wasn't anything great either but the move away from ILM was really noticeable for that film.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
One negative on the new episode, which still haven't gone away from S1/2: Patrick Stewart's acting. He was the central force of the TV series, but he just doesn't seem to know how to play Picard anymore. He is playing himself, and I don't want to see Patrick, I want Picard--and entirely different person.

Frakes/Riker jumps back into his character easily and convincingly, but I still just don't see the real Picard on screen at all in these scenes, and that's disappointing.

Last edited:
One negative on the new episode, which still haven't gone away from S1/2: Patrick Stewart's acting. He was the central force of the TV series, but he just doesn't seem to know how to play Picard anymore. He is playing himself, and I don't want to see Patrick, I want Picard--and entirely different person.

Frakes/Riker jumps back into his character easily and convincingly, but I still just don't see the real Picard on screen at all in these scenes, and that's disappointing.

I watched Patrick Stewart play McBeth live once, many years ago, and my main thought was that it was sometimes as though Picard had beamed into a Shakespeare holodeck play.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I agree but its really hard for me to be critical of him given he's 82 years old and every single shot of him makes it look like he's struggling just to stay conscious and alive.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I agree but its really hard for me to be critical of him given he's 82 years old and every single shot of him makes it look like he's struggling just to stay conscious and alive.
Fair, but it makes me realize how much I miss the vision of aging Picard from All Good Things:

Give me that fiery, aging Picard any day, brilliantly played in that episode. It turns out that younger Patrick Stewart playing a slightly senile / slipping version of himself is very compelling, but an actual slipping / borderline cognitive impaired Patrick Stewart is not compelling at all to watch.

Top Bottom