• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
Asking a few questions for thoses you are on the PTU 2.0 Alpha :

- Can you finally customize your avatar / character ?

- Does the PNJ looks more or less alive than the 1.3 Planetside Social thing ? The video of the "Discover the Planetside !" seems to be tons of bullshit (why is there no PNJ talking, moving, and terrible lifeless models ?).

- Is there any real Graphics Configuration panel ? I can't believe that you still CAN'T make a custom preset in the settings. Forcing players to have blur everywhere / special effects you don't want or drain FPS is perfectly stupid, especially for a game that claims "I AM A PC GAME".

Thanks in advance.

1) Not yet. You can change armors for the planetside but that is it.

2) what is a PNJ?

3) No graphics panel yet, they're still developing. Right now you can edit the .cfg, that is the PC way too.

- Does the PNJ looks more or less alive than the 1.3 Planetside Social thing ? The video of the "Discover the Planetside !" seems to be tons of bullshit (why is there no PNJ talking, moving, and terrible lifeless models ?).

- Is there any real Graphics Configuration panel ? I can't believe that you still CAN'T make a custom preset in the settings. Forcing players to have blur everywhere / special effects you don't want or drain FPS is perfectly stupid, especially for a game that claims "I AM A PC GAME".

Thanks in advance.

ALPHA!

Lutherian

1) Not yet. You can change armors for the planetside but that is it.

2) what is a PNJ?

3) No graphics panel yet, they're still developing. Right now you can edit the .cfg, that is the PC way too.

1) ok.

2) Sorry, I meant NPC.

3) I saw a User.cfg like every CryEngine game but that's quite painfull. Wouldn't hurt RSI with 99.000.000$.

@Cabbagehead :
Yeah, just watch the "Discover Planetside" video and then play the Planetside module. That's bullshit. "Alpha."

Zalusithix

Thanks in advance.

Basic character customization is a 2.1 goal if I remember correctly. Key word being basic.

The planetside module isn't anywhere near final, and will need the PU to feel alive anyhow. The PU would dictate the NPC behaviors etc. We don't even have persistence yet in the "baby PU", so it's more like "baby U" right now lol. Basically everything is a systems test at this point. Nothing will feel alive until the basic systems are all in and stable.

Also not sure what you mean by the "Discover Planetside" video. Unless you mean the 2014 "demo" with the planetside landing etc. That was a hacked together proof of concept. What they're aiming for essentially - not what you'd get in the first implementation of the module.

Config wise, there will obviously be one eventually. The engine is still being worked on and features added, so they probably aren't in too much of a hurry to make an in depth settings GUI for something that's still in flux. I wouldn't expect one until a bit before the SQ42 release where they'd need to test the implementation.

1) ok.

2) Sorry, I meant NPC.

3) I saw a User.cfg like every CryEngine game but that's quite painfull. Wouldn't hurt RSI with 99.000.000$.

@Cabbagehead :
Yeah, just watch the "Discover Planetside" video and then play the Planetside module. That's bullshit. "Alpha."
That is an old, non-networked demo.

"bullshit" is not some word I would use.

tuxfool

Banned
So I just saw what they will be showing on the 16th.... (self.starcitizen)
submitted 40 minutes ago by ee512 Trader

I can't actually tell you anything but all I can say is keep your hype engines fueled and possibly invest in adult diapers.

Reddit, so maybe take it with a grain of salt.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yeah, they're vaguely hyping something. "What design system excites you most for SC? ... Ben can't say yet. Tune in to next weeks' livestream to find out. There's a fantastic new game system being revealed during the Christmas livestream."

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...se_the_verse_december_subscriber_edition_inn/

Stability is much better now, back to 30-45 minutes. People are still getting about 20 FPS regardless of configuration once the servers fill up.

tuxfool

Banned
Its not nonsense if its a mater of fact and as other have explained.

Expecting something that isn't even there yet or not at all.

Research before you buy into something.

Somebody was asking earnest questions, and you decided to shitpost. It isn't the first time you've done this. You should take your own advice and "research" what people are saying. If you're not going to be useful, don't say anything at all.

Reddit, so maybe take it with a grain of salt.

TBH, a lot of people at CIG said the same thing. If they hadn't I wouldn't be posting the same thing.

Yeah, they're vaguely hyping something. "What design system excites you most for SC? ... Ben can't say yet. Tune in to next weeks' livestream to find out. There's a fantastic new game system being revealed during the Christmas livestream."

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...se_the_verse_december_subscriber_edition_inn/

Stability is much better now, back to 30-45 minutes. People are still getting about 20 FPS regardless of configuration once the servers fill up.
I... I am not ready

Cargo loading IN ZERO G

believingintensifiesqdjna.gif

Zalusithix

Cargo loading IN ZERO G

A fully functional grabby hands system in zero G with proper animations, center of gravity modification, and inertia would actually be quite impressive. Well done character movement in zero G while using the environment for movement and directional correction is impressive in its own right. Doing the same thing believably when at least one hand is busy holding an object would be doubly so.

I think it would be a very smart move for CIG if they had the S42 verticle slice ready to go for when $100M hits. Just think, with the amount of articles that will be released, it would look very nice if they all contained a hype trailer showing how good the game will be.

KKRT00

I think it would be a very smart move for CIG if they had the S42 verticle slice ready to go for when $100M hits. Just think, with the amount of articles that will be released, it would look very nice if they all contained a hype trailer showing how good the game will be.

Thats not possible though :)

Zalusithix

Going by the state of the "Morrow Tour" that we saw, a polished vertical slice most certainly isn't going to be ready by then. And SQ42 needs to be a relatively polished experience when it's released to the world. It needs to be a "look what we can do when not faced with the MMO hurdles" set piece to bolster public opinion on the project. A buggy, half finished jankfest will just give DS and his followers more ammunition for the whole "scam, fraud!" claim.

Going by the state of the "Morrow Tour" that we saw, a polished vertical slice most certainly isn't going to be ready by then. And SQ42 needs to be a relatively polished experience when it's released to the world. It needs to be a "look what we can do when not faced with the MMO hurdles" set piece to bolster public opinion on the project. A buggy, half finished jankfest will just give DS and his followers more ammunition for the whole "scam, fraud!" claim.
Very true. If the first episode is a solid release, then it will quieten a lot of the complainers.

Burny

A buggy, half finished jankfest will just give DS and his followers more ammunition for the whole "scam, fraud!" claim.

DS would hardly suddenly become the prophet who foresaw the downfall of SC. He would get mentioned in the following articles, but he seems a bit too neurotic to make a good figure head for the ensuing headlines.

The actual problem if that were to happen, would be that - despite collecting the largest crowdfunding budget of any project and being delayed for years - the game was still a "a buggy, half finished jankfest". That would not go down well. Neither with the "general gaming public", nor the most diehard Star Citizen enthusiasts.

tuxfool

Banned
DS would hardly suddenly become the prophet who foresaw the downfall of SC. He would get mentioned in the following articles, but he seems a bit too neurotic to make a good figure head for the ensuing headlines.

Certainly didn't stop the Escapist, even as trash tier as they have become.

Burny

Certainly didn't stop the Escapist, even as trash tier as they have become.

I thought we were talking about Derrek Smart's scam claims? Did the Escapist also claim that SC is a scam and impossible because they've tried and failed to release such a game in the past?

tuxfool

Banned
I thought we were talking about Derrek Smart's scam claims? Did the Escapist also claim that SC is a scam and impossible because they've tried and failed to release such a game in the past?

They certainly gave that guy a platform. It wasn't stated outright, but it might as well have been.

Burny

There was an article a few weeks before that.

That is unfortunate.

Doesn't change that it has nothing to do with Derek Smart, if Star Citizen were to fall short of expectations, which is just as well possible as it exceeding expectations or being just a decent game in the end.

The biggest damage DS has actually done to the project imo is providing some people an easy excuse to brush off critizism, whether it's justified or not.

Edit: Will somebody watching the lifestream today summarize the new info?

Zalusithix

The actual problem if that were to happen, would be that - despite collecting the largest crowdfunding budget of any project and being delayed for years - the game was still a "a buggy, half finished jankfest". That would not go down well. Neither with the "general gaming public", nor the most diehard Star Citizen enthusiasts.

Well, yes, if the game was released in that state, it would certainly be criticized by everybody. Myself included. I'm referring to a vertical slice being released mid development, and not the game proper. Normal expectations would give such a thing some leeway in the bug/jank department. Even so, I don't think the situation that creates is good for the project. Right or wrong, it just gives the detractors another easy target. Better to use SC to test the common systems needed, and let internal testing polish the rest of SQ42. They should have the capabilities to do that. Releasing a solid single player experience without all the interim alpha/beta issues should quell at least some of the concerns people have with the project.

If they feel they absolutely have to release a preview of SQ42, they better polish the shit out of it before exposing the general public to it. I have a feeling people are going to be far more critical on SQ42 when compared to SC - and people can already be pretty critical of SC. People expect more quality from single player experiences vs MMOs.

Geist-

We'll hit $100 million next week, no matter what. Nothing stops this train.

2.0 might be going live around the same time.
WLeverett-CIG - 2015-12-10 15:27:04 UTC - Discord said:
I suspect we'll have another build today, tomorrow at the latest. We'll also be considering moving this to Live, and if we don't make Live, we'll have another round of PTU invites.

The media storm will be immense!

jaaz

We are really close to 2.0 live--I feel it in mah bones. Maybe even tonight, but in all likely hood tomorrow, before the weekend.

If you're talking about their infamous article, the only mention of Derek Smart that I know of comes from Chris Roberts' response rather than the article itself.

They (the Escapist staff) talked about Mr. Smart during the podcast that addressed this article, released at the end of that tumultuous week. In it they said that while he can be a "smarmy bastard" a lot of what he had predicted regarding employee layoffs, etc. were turning true and that he "was the impetus" that eventually saw the article come to light. As a note, predicting layoffs isn't terribly amazing in the chaos that is the game industry, particularly so when Mr. Smart apparently has said that he gets the odd piece of inside information/office gossip from some employees; at that point it's not really predicting anymore, but he may spin it into something to perpetuate the belief that he's some kind of gaming Nostradamus (if these "predictions" are true surely his other ones surrounding the game will be true too).
Sure, the article wasn't built as a spotlight for Mr. Smart to throw around more claims, but for those following his madness his influence - indirect though it may be - was clearly felt in it. Certainly didn't help matters that apparently these stories the Escapist ran with in the article had been shopped around to other news sites but said sites deemed them as not credible enough.
I do agree that any general criticism or doubt will be swiftly deflected as just the rants of another "Derek Smart cultist" (this stuff was happening before the Escapist) but that's what happens when you rile up already riled up fanboys; look to other games here on Gaf for the same sort of responses to criticism.
/my $0.02 (because the rest of my money went to this game :p )

We'll hit $100 million next week, no matter what. Nothing stops this train.
Of course this was predicted back in January; Mr Roberts's evil plan is all coming together...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Unexpected patch:

PTU 2.0.0L said:
Important item of note:
We have a specific Issue Council thread where are requesting additional information from players regarding Error 0 disconnections.

Fixes:

Gameplay

- Fixed an issue in Vanduul Swarm game mode, where ally weapon restocks were not happening at the end of the wave.

Social Module/Persistent Universe:

Fixes:

Gameplay

- Fixed an issue where transitioning from zero-g to gravity zones would cause a player to take damage from falling or lose functionality.
- Fixed an issue where the elevator terminal in ArcCorp and the Hangar would sometimes close without any player input.

Ships
- Fixed an issue where the Hornet and Constellation were using the same shield set.
- Fixed an issue where the Constellation Andromeda and Retaliator were not being repaired when landing on the large landing pad.

Environment
- Fixed an issue where the weapons fire was drastically offset from weapons while the ship was in flight.

Technical
- Fixed several server-side performance issues.
- Implemented some additional fixes for the server performance bottleneck that would happen at extremely high instance activity.

Nice, when they said the Frankfurt office was working on the server-side performance I didn't expect it to be the next day. Now to see how those framerates are doing... edit: nope, not quite fixed yet for me. Still around 20-24 for full games.

Better hurry!

WLeverett-CIG - 2015-12-11 03:26:51 UTC We'll see how everything goes overnight and discuss what we do in the morning. As soon as we decide tomorrow, we'll let everyone know whether we'll invite or push to Live.
https://lurkdis.maxpowa.us/#124713482305142786

Yup, snagging some more GIF material. (trying to keep them reasonably small)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom