• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen’s live game director is leaving his position after nine years at CIG (which has not released one single game)

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It's not like this game is mired with publisher interference, or legal issues, or development hell......they are just stringing it all along, adding scope creep, adding high-priced DLC and promising upcoming features (for a decade+), all while the creators are all basking in the sun at the pool at their new mansions and the studio is full of excess. How do the lemmings not see what is going on?

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd like to reaffirm to those who are cynical and like to joke, the game is good and has large potential. When S42 launches and some are still singing the same tune, it will be very disappointing. Games like this need to succeed and clearly they've spent large sums of money to make one of the most ambitious games ever.

I haven't spent a dime still and will put my money where my mouth is when this comes out.

Critiquing games like this feels like election season. Lots of hyperbole and trolling but when a game comes out, those same cynics go away or simply troll about annoying things that they cherry pick instead of enjoying a good game.

killatopak

Games like this need to succeed and clearly they've spent large sums of money to make one of the most ambitious games ever.
Games that are self published need to succeed but a method to succeed like SC sets a bad precedent. I don’t support their monetary practice or their extremely long development times.

If this is the way future games will be, I’d rather not have SC succeed. IMO this could have gone the MMO route and have their planned systems implemented per expansion. The best case would be like No Man’s Sky but if the amount of systems they need is a lot then I have no issue with them being paid expansions. This has completely gone over the scope of their initial pitch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Games that are self published need to succeed but a method to succeed like SC sets a bad precedent. I don’t support their monetary practice or their extremely long development times.

If this is the way future games will be, I’d rather not have SC succeed. IMO this could have gone the MMO route and have their planned systems implemented per expansion. The best case would be like No Man’s Sky but if the amount of systems they need is a lot then I have no issue with them being paid expansions. This has completely gone over the scope of their initial pitch.
If other devs try to be like SC we wont be playing any game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

This is a 1 of 1 type of game. It's not something that I would compare to anything in the almost 40 years I've had gaming in my life.

For what this is doing, high potential that is not the vaporware it once was. Like I said before, I'm exactly the opposite of the indoctrinated legion of loyal fans (which I have nothing against).

I've stood in the sidelines and joined the hype when I saw fit. We are in those times. That is something I applaud and want success for this group even more.

If it's not good and sucks, it won't change that stance I have right now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i think the lesson here is if you want huge KS funding, pick a big game Gen X and boomers played in the 90s. They are trying to relive a game they played 30 years ago who are amped up on a modernized version, are in their 40s at minimum, got a job, got money, and are itching for nostalgia. And they will pay any price. Lets face it I dont think the typical 22 year old who plays mobile or mainstream GAAS are funding this game.

Give Chris Roberts credit for isolating that audience with a money pit game.

Last edited:
Squadron 42 is one of the most important games ever for me and I'm not the resident Sci-fi fan.

Luckily most of the foundation for SC and all of the main parts of S42 are ready.

One of the most anticipated games ever for me after the last big showing.
If they will really release it this time.

They probably could have released it a long time ago, but why should they as long as they have other means to create a huge profit.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Inevitable “thanks for your support but we are cancelling the game. No refunds” announcement incoming.

Gonna be the greatest bamboozle of all time. Will make crypto scams look tame.

Fredrik

They're selling vaporware at premium prices, preying on people's spacefaring fantasies. It's a shame, but hey, there's a sucker born every minute.
Anyone still believing in that project is either delusional or desperate. Wake up and smell the space dust, it's burning a hole in your pocket
;)
I played it during a free weekend, there is definitely the foundation of something great in there, calling it vaporware is wrong.
Problem is it’s too buggy and as a complete and polished game it’s still years away. And they’re trying to do open planet maps without procedural generation. It’s not going to work. I landed outside of a big city and there was literally nothing there. Just sand. Well no, there was a plant too… Couldn’t do anything with it.

The single player version could possibly be something if it’s linear and dense enough with content. But it’s probably years away as well.

Last edited:
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

those who know will know, those who don't have to ask :messenger_winking:
Stuey…I’m one of the guys here who has been on the fence regarding this game and it’s campaign, which just had a nice trailer not long ago. Sometimes GAF members are able to convince people like myself on trying a game or even buying it just by genuinely describing what they love about the game and why it’s considered worthy of a purchase.

I think there were people here honestly waiting for someone like yourself to convince them why they are wrong to be highly skeptical(especially with this latest thread), and instead you pretty much squander that potential to simply say that someone has to be a fan/player of the game to be in the know and believe in this game’s future.

Why?

Cyberpunkd

At some point they will have to start scaling back to prolong the cash burn as much as possible or even to cut loses and go away with all the millions still left.

Game is a scam, it’s never coming out. Don’t start with “it’s already out, they are constantly releasing new content” BS. Fucking GTA took less time to come out.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
again just saying things your favorite youtuber says isn't all that impressive.

i imagine every star citizen thread you will see yours and every other persons name say the same 3 things. having never actually tried the product or getting involved with anything around the game.

it's the same level of "critique" as people from era who jump into any JK rowling thread and scream transphobe when the actual information available says otherwise, but much like you they are unwilling to even try and see any further past that one thing your one favorite youtuber said one time.

I will repeat, those who know will know and those who don't will continue to make fools of themselves.

i literally called it with the inb4 that's how obvious this thread was going to be.
The information available is clear. The game was promised to come out nearly a decade ago. They keep bringing in more and more money on Macro transactions but still have not released it. No other information makes that OK.

I don't need a YouTube influencer to tell me that 12 years of development is not quite my tempo.

Even if they started with the best intentions (being generous with this assumption), whatever game that takes that long after collecting huge amounts of money is a failure. I get why its backers are in denial. It must feel terrible to realize that the money you sent to your future Russian supermodel wife (whose pics you showed to all your friends) actually was received in a Nigerian account.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Inevitable “thanks for your support but we are cancelling the game. No refunds” announcement incoming.

Gonna be the greatest bamboozle of all time. Will make crypto scams look tame.

that could legitimately happen and you would get people in a thread going "I was never duped, I paid $300 and got more than my monies worth in the techdemo, no this is the fault of all the haters, if only they had also given $300 each then the game would have come out 10 years ago, and be complete"

that's what Cultcitizen does to people.

Last edited:
wow, it took a long time, but are the rats finally starting to flee the sinking ship? Get me my popcorn! I can't wait to see how the finale of the greatest game scam of all time ends! WOOOO!

Mowcno

2014's GOTY!

Pre-ordering games is bad. Preordering games over 10 years in advance is something else. Not that it's the customers fault. They promised a game would release in 2014, took millions of dollars from people and then still haven't released it in 2024.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Don't know whether to call this game a 'scam' or not, I mean the game does exist, and it is pretty ambitious and people are having fun playing it despite any glitches or problems it has.

But it does seem like an infinite money glitch to vacuum up as much money as possible from people who believe in a dream(ship buying club and heavy rollers). About the only thing I can say to that is....I wish I thought it up and executed it.

But I do hope those believers get their game at the end of the day though....someday.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Rome wasn't built in a day. If you want short dev cycle, unambitious games with release dates, there's plenty for you out there.

Some people want this medium to grow.

You can grow the medium without defending scummy practices and terrible development/management that is becoming a borderline scam (if not already become one).

When the likes of Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky are more feature rich, complete, and have infinitely more to do in them in a quarter of the time Star Citizen has been in development? Things have gone very, very wrong for RSI. I am saying this as someone who has played the most recent builds and spent half a grand when the game was initially kickstarted.

The game isn't in an acceptable state. Its development should be criticized heavily. Its "ambitions" are all on paper with almost nothing to show for it after nearly a decade.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This game will never release. If it does people will play it and move on. They are keeping this illusion going so anyone who criticizes it, the devs and fans could simply say “but it’s not released yet” as if game development is magic.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You can grow the medium without defending scummy practices and terrible development/management that is becoming a borderline scam (if not already become one).

When the likes of Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky are more feature rich, complete, and have infinitely more to do in them in a quarter of the time Star Citizen has been in development? Things have gone very, very wrong for RSI. I am saying this as someone who has played the most recent builds and spent half a grand when the game was initially kickstarted.

The game isn't in an acceptable state. Its development should be criticized heavily. Its "ambitions" are all on paper with almost nothing to show for it after nearly a decade.

I've just heard soooooo many game developers say [paraphrase] "Our game is unrecognizable mid development. It really only starts resembling an actual game in the last few months leading up to release. That's why we can't share more with the public. They wouldn't understand."

Star Citizen has a lot of people not understanding, which is to be expected.

I empathize with your position but I am not in your position.

You spent $500 dollars on Star Citizen because you had expectations that weren't met. I understand how that naturally leads you to feeling scammed.

I spent $0 dollars on Star Citizen and believe the biggest problem facing the gaming industry is old style, unambitious, formulaic game design. So whenever I see a new trailer, or new info drops, I think "That looks f***ing awesome. Let them cook."

I also think you should probably admit that 3.0 was recieved as a resounding success by the Star Citizen community. Plus, their funding increases every year which means they're doing something right.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I've just heard soooooo many game developers say [paraphrase] "Our game is unrecognizable mid development. It really only starts resembling an actual game in the last few months leading up to release. That's why we can't share more with the public. They wouldn't understand."

Star Citizen has a lot of people not understanding, which is to be expected.
People understand perfectly well. When you and others keep making claims and gaslighting others that "people just don't understand", you are projecting your own misunderstandings onto others.

I empathize with your position but I am not in your position.

You spent $500 dollars on Star Citizen because you had expectations that weren't met. I understand how that naturally leads you to feeling scammed.

I spent $0 dollars on Star Citizen and believe the biggest problem facing the gaming industry is old style, unambitious, formulaic game design. So whenever I see a new trailer, or new info drops, I think "That looks f***ing awesome. Let them cook."
I, and many others, see more false promises and delays. They have had 10 years to "cook". Its time to shit or get off the pot.

I also think you should probably admit that 3.0 was recieved as a resounding success by the Star Citizen community. Plus, their funding increases every year which means they're doing something right.
I can't admit such as I don't think it was. If by the "Star Citizen Community" you only mean those who praise every aspect and refuse to see fault where there is some.

Whales will always double and triple down their investments to feel like they didn't waste money. As long as whales exist, their funds will continue to increase. We have more than enough data from Gacha titles to show this is the case. You don't need a large player base, just a few people with more money than sense.

RespawnX

There is no doubt that CIG's management is a mess. There is no other way to explain the five revisions of flight models, fps models and plans that have been missed by years. However, this is also due to the fact that ambitions have risen massively as the game has grown. The level of complexity that the developers are aiming for, whether it makes sense or not, is not even remotely comparable to any other game. Even redefining goals at the point where project leaders should rather not touch them.

Let's take No Man's Sky as a comparison. Yes, I like the game too and I think it's great how it turned out. But sorry, Flight Model is more of a 90s arcade flying game. There are no complex physics, no atmospheric effects or anything other than a few simulated things. The flight model in Star Citizen is almost as complex as that of Microsoft Flight Simulator, at least in terms of physics - not in terms of controls (and hopefully never will be).

Planets are geniusly generated in NMS but sorry, the formula behind it is obvious after 20 planets and it doesn't get any more exciting after that. A lot of content in Star Citizen is still missing due to the complexity of the network code and the demand for persistence - and there is not a single announced or existing game that aspires to the same scope. It was also originally planned to release Squadron 42 in chapters, which would form entire episodes. This plan was abandoned and it was decided to release the entire first part together and not as a preview version but as a complete stand-alone game. As a result, Squadron 42 changed its scope from a 1/5 (or whatever) game to a full game. Feature complete was then also gone.

I think that CIG themselves didn't understand for a long time what they were actually aiming for and what hurdles they had to overcome. The awareness has emerged in recent years, communication has changed accordingly and patch schedules have become much more realistic. Many gameplay functions were developed for the S42 as a sister project and are now slowly finding their way into Star Citizen.

You really have to be patient and I don't see the game being "finished" any time soon. But at least things are progressing and for me personally it's enough to have a few hours of fun every few months and discover new things. The few bucks I invested have been worth it for a long time. Everyone has to know how much they are willing to pay for their hobby.

Ozzie666

This thread has inspired me to re-visit Wing Commander 3 and 4.

I still can't tell if this is a scam, management issue or massive feature creep. People can spend their money how they want and if you get some value from this, then great.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People understand perfectly well. When you and others keep making claims and gaslighting others that "people just don't understand", you are projecting your own misunderstandings onto others.
But I didn't spend $500 dollars on a supposed scam. You did. Doesn't that suggest a certain degree of misunderstanding?
I, and many others, see more false promises and delays. They have had 10 years to "cook". Its time to shit or get off the pot.
Too many games that amount to nothing are made in 6, 7, 8+ years for me to be believe 12+ years making the most ambitious game of all time is noteworthy. Let them cook indeed.
I can't admit such as I don't think it was. If by the "Star Citizen Community" you only mean those who praise every aspect and refuse to see fault where there is some.
No, I've been checking in with the Star Citizen subreddit over the last few years. It has always represented an overly toxic civil war...until 3.0 hit. That updated softened the hearts of a large percentage of people. R RespawnX explained it better than I could.

Whales will always double and triple down their investments to feel like they didn't waste money. As long as whales exist, their funds will continue to increase. We have more than enough data from Gacha titles to show this is the case. You don't need a large player base, just a few people with more money than sense.
A forest consisting of many different types of trees is healthier and hardier than a forest of one type.

Star Citizen reaching absurd funding goals through wealthy players shows us a healthy and vibrant industry. To that, I say Cheers!

Top Bottom