• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix/Eidos today - your thoughts?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Y'know, this generation has surely been crazy when we see a complete u-turn on the quality with some of the publishers this generation (Activision, EA, Capcom,) but a lot of Japan (Square in particular) developers had got their pants caught down and had the worst impact the most. Square is the best example in particular; ff 13 versus is not even out yet and it could be likely by the time it is released, the next gen consoles would be out (or very close), and their crystal tools and management was a complete joke. But the most crazy thing of to me? How Eidos turned their misfortune into becoming a success again.

* Eidos's publishing has been a very solid success when Batman Arkham Asylyum and Just Cause 2 brought solid profit, with the potential for Just Cause 3 coming too.

* Deus Ex is the current example so far, it has sold over 2 million units, with this coming from a brand new start up studio who went with a fairly risky gamble and it has paid off. In the not too distant future, we will be seeing another beloved franchise returning again; Thief 4, and a bit further a new IP and most likely Deus Ex 4. This has already the potential of 3 strong franchises for Square in the future.

* Crystal Dynamic is currently on the work of Tomb Raider (reboot) and IO working on Hitman 5, two loved series that have great potential for profit and solid titles to play.

* Square has created a brand new studio in Montreal, "Square Enix Montreal" and has them working on another Hitman game who are working alongside with IO. It looks like they are going for the tactic of having annual game releases on some of their IPs, fixing the previous issue of their long development time.

* With the help of acquiring Eidos, Square Japan now has the infrastructure for better organization and management, thanks to their input, and with the help of Eidos's programming talent, they have a development framework (square luminous engine) that should be resolve all the issues they have had in the past (time development, costs for examples), and hopefully be a technical marvel and still competitive.

Looking at all this, to me it looks like Square will have a great future ahead and should be back on track for their known quality and beloved titles. There's been quite a few big mistakes they've done this generation so far (ff14's release state, I'm looking at you!) but it looks like they have learned and wish to completely turn everything around, but it's bonkers to think how much Eidos has done to change my perception on the company recently. What have been your thoughts so far with them?

Raide

They are hollow names that once belonged to some of the most famous development studios and publishers in the games industry. Now they play catchup to salvage some of their credibility before gamers forget who they are.

Square Enix made a smart move buying out Eidos. A good move for us gamers anyway. The sad fact is Deus Ex:HR would be a very strong candidate for GOTY in any other year, but it probably won't get a look in because of Skyrim, BF3, Arkham City, MW3 (shudder), Uncharted 3, and Portal 2. Although some of those are deserving candidates.

DaBuddaDa

The entire group has incredible potential: Tomb Raider, Hitman, Thief 4, Deus Ex Next, Eidos Montreal's new IP, all of the unannounced Square Japan stuff that we don't know about, Versus still in the pipeline...

It could all crash and burn, or it could all be amazing. It's definitely going to be one of the most exciting publishers over the next three years.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I just hope that Eidos making for them western games for western players will give the Japanese Square time to think again at what they're good at making and focus on delivering that to us. I just don't want anymore western-like games from japanese developers. I want japanese games from japanese developers and western games from western developers. Is that so difficult?

They are hollow names that once belonged to some of the most famous development studios and publishers in the games industry. Now they play catchup to salvage some of their credibility before gamers forget who they are.

Eidos regularly makes at the very least interesting games that, while they may not be great, have merit for existing. I'm thinking of Kane & Lynch, here. That's the worst high profile game they've released in recent years, I believe.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Since they bought Eidos, I've cared about Square a whole lot more.

Same here, Eidos has a rich library of titles, the only left I would love to see come back, having the resources and benefits from being under Square, would be Legacy of Kain. Square also has the opportunity to be less dependant on their Japan studios working on their strong IPs constantly and can be more flexible for trying new things.

SE side is doing fine with FFXIII-2 and Type-0 and the upcoming VersusXIII.

Eidos... Well, TR is more than enough for me <3

I'm sooo going to love them in 2012 and 2013 :p

Really good move buying Eidos, it feels at that times that Eidos is propping up the entire horribly mismanaged company.

I've not played Deus Ex 3 yet, absolutely intend to, but it sounds like the game is a resounding success on every level. I hope that is because of Square Enix's input, not in spite of it. Still, its interesting to juxtapose FFXIII/XIV with Deus EX, with hope that the developers of the pitiable former can learn from the efficient yet quality-focussed developers of the latter.

On a personal note, these guys control the Legacy of Kain IP now, which in its day (Soul Reaver, Blood Omen, Soul Reaver 2) was very profitable. A shame that they don't seem to have any idea of what to do with it

GCX

SE side relies way too much on Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts. Stuff like Bravely Default is nice but it's be a good thing if they put some effort to build a new high-profile series.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Really good move buying Eidos, it feels at that times that Eidos is propping up the entire horribly mismanaged company.

I've not played Deus Ex 3 yet, absolutely intend to, but it sounds like the game is a resounding success on every level. I hope that is because of Square Enix's input, not in spite of it. Still, its interesting to juxtapose FFXIII/IXV with Deus EX, with hope that the developers of the former can learn from the efficient yet quality-focussed developers of the latter.

On a personal note, these guys control the Legacy of Kain IP now, which in its day (Soul Reaver, Blood Omen, Soul Reaver 2) was very profitable. A shame that they don't seem to have any idea of what to do with it

You never know, Crystal Dynamic's "new IP" could be a reboot/restoration of Legacy of Kain. More and more I keep seeing people mentioning the series and how fond they were with the titles. I remember a while ago Square did a questionnaire on something related to Legacy of Kain? If Thief is coming back, Legacy of Kain has a bigger chance of returning at some point in the future. Hell, the modern fan art of Raziel got some spot light treatment across several sites and fans.

raziel.jpg

<3

Famassu

1) Square Enix as a developer is still at the top of their game, though they did falter in the beginning of this generation with their non-handheld development. Luckily it seems they've seen where they went wrong and they are on the road to better times. XIII-2 seems like a genuinely great JRPG (aside from the story) and I'm really interested in the new action RPG IP they are developing. On the handheld field, they've been one of the best providers of JRPGs, so I just hope they continue being as awesome in the future.

2) Square Enix as a publisher has made some of the shittiest decisions a publisher can make (why games like Front Mission Evolved & Mind Jack ever got made, especially by the devs that made them, baffles the mind. Perhaps if Mind Jack was given to Double Helix and Front Mission Evolved to Feel Plus, they would've been slightly better games, but even then I don't see why they would've/should've greenlighted those projects).

3) Square Enix acquiring Eidos has been great for gamers, seems like it really revitalized Eidos whose output I didn't really care for too much in the few years before it. I'm not sure if Deus Ex 3 would be what it is now if Eidos hadn't been acquired by Square Enix and I'm really liking what I've seen of the Tomb Raider reboot so far. Hitman is the only question mark of the old franchises they are takling with a new style so far. Seems like it could still be a good game, but maybe a couple of steps backwards in some ways in comparison to old games.

IoCaster

I really enjoyed Deus Ex:HR, but I have absolutely no interest in the Tomb Raider or Hitman reboots. I'm keeping an open mind for the Thief game and I hope we get some info soon.

As far as the Japanese side is concerned I haven't liked any of the Final Fantasy games that I've tried and I don't play on handhelds so there's nothing there for me. I would be interested in a Last Remnant sequel, but I know that's not likely to happen. So basically, I'm only interested in the Eidos half and even then just a couple of their franchises. *shrug*

Gsak

As much as I love the LoK series, especially the original Blood Omen, I doubt that a Kain game without Amy Hennig writing the story would be on par with the previous ones. At least in terms of storytelling.

I'd love for Naughty Dog to get the rights from CD and make a new game with Amy writing it.

However, if they indeed reboot/make a LoK sequel, please let it be closer to Blood Omen gameplay wise.

P.S: Sorry but I'll take Kain over Raziel any time. Raziel's story was great while it lasted. Now it's over. Let it stay that way. Oh and of course, it's either Simon Templeman as Kain's voice or no buy.

Grisby

I think it was a smart decision for Square to buy Eidos. Gives them a good leg for western releases with several high profile titles coming down the pipe.

Deus Ex was better than anything Square has put out this generation and I'm so looking forward to Tomb Raider.

RaijinFY

The potential benefits of buying Eidos will be most likely seen next-gen, not this gen. If they can leverage Eidos IPs correctly, this could lead to a very nice period for S-E in terms of profit.

wrowa

It turned out rather strangely. SE bought Eidos, but Eidos is saving SE's ass ever since and not the other way around.

Elios83

Square Enix is in the gutter but the Eidos deal has been great for them. Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Hitman and Thief are really good assets which enjoy both critical and commercial success.
Also DE Human Revolution is one of best game of the year.
Ironically the fool Wada had a lot of luck when Tecmo Koei refused their offer.

Famassu

Deus Ex was better than anything Square has put out this generation and I'm so looking forward to Tomb Raider.
The World Ends With You and Kingdom Hearts BBS are as good as JRPGs as Deus Ex 3 is as a WRPG, so that's not really true.

Seda

The Last Remnant is one of my favorite games.
Birth by Sleep is a solid Kingdom Hearts game.
Tactics Ogre redo was well done.

FFXIII failed for me, because the focus was on the plot and the plot wasn't good.
Apparently FFIV was a mess, although I have no interest in MMO's so I don't really care.

Eh, it's been a tough generation for the Japan side.

Apart from batman & the world ends with you, they haven't published anything that wasn't a port that I was over the moon about this generation. DQIX was pretty good but had a big drop in story/character quality compared to the high points of the series.

I used to like the kain/reaver games in the last two gens, but I've never had a great deal of enthusiasm for eidos otherwise.

Square on the other hand...in the nineties anything by squaresoft I had to have. Every new game was exciting. When Mizuno went out & Wada came in, things slowly started to sour. I don''t anticipate S-E releases now, and haven't done for a long time. The wackiness of stuff like SMRPG, Live A Live & Chrono Trigger, what I used to think of as the "flavour" of square seems to be gone.

A better question is what the **** went wrong with the old Eidos? They had such a huge amount of killer IPs and lots of talent in them, yet they still screwed up so badly.

Derrick01

Banned
Eidos is the one keeping SE afloat in terms of game quality, buying them was the best move SE's made this gen and I will give them credit for just funding them and staying the hell out of their business and not injecting any shitty jrpg stuff into their games.

But then Wada of course fucked up by not buying Rocksteady after Batman AA came out. I remember seeing that he was interested but didn't do it and then an even worse publisher bought them and we got the ridiculous mess of a game that is Arkham City on PC. So thank you Wada.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
SE have gone through a rough patch transitioning to the HD generation, but they seem to me to be recovering pretty well.

I give them credit for trying to address the complaints about FFXIII with XIII-2, and the enormous effort being made to transform FFXIV into something good. Obviously the jury's still out on whether they've succeeded or not, but it seems to me that they are making a real effort to improve. And realistically that's all you can ask.

You can criticize them for getting trapped into a mindset where they feel they must blow-out on production values while watering down their Japanese quirkiness for mass consumption, but on the other hand when you see what happens when they release a genuinely brilliant, very Japanese, but not visually impressive game like Nier... maybe they aren't so far off base from a business standpoint.

kswiston

I give SE props for how they have managed Eidos so far. Too many times, we see mega-publishers drain the live (and quality) out of their acquisitions. Eidos has produced some great games under the Square-Enix moniker, and the company seems to recognize and appreciate their contributions.

Now Square-Enix needs to shape up their Japanese developing branch. The first thing I would do is take away some of the autonomy given to some of their rockstar development heads. Games shouldn't take 4-5 years to develop, especially when the resulting products are not outstanding.

Zaptruder

Banned
Back in 2001/2002, I came up with an idea for a Final Fantasy that would've been quite well recieved by GAFfers I think.

I'm going to type it up; but the simple point I'm making is that, I could've made a better game then the shit they've come up with this generation.

It was to be the FF game in place of FFXV, the last FF game of this generation I thought back then (because every generation had 3 mainline FF games before this one).

It was going to involve more adult protagonists - some what manlier versions of the Prince from FFXIII V (with a similar hairstyle - I've got the artwork to prove it). Dude was going to reprise the role of a special forces operative - not really too far removed from Cloud, Squall and Lightning in that respect. Dude was going to be named: Rain. Very appropriate to an FF protagonist. Was actually flipping up between Storm and Rain - looks like FF wasn't far off the mark. There's also his bro-sef and his captain... whom I can't remember the name of anymore. These guys form a 2 party team. Like Kain to Cecil.

Game system was going to be a cross between FFXII and FFXIII versus - in that it's a real time action RPG, but pausable to allow access to additional options as well as allow the player to issue commands to party members.

Real time tactical battlefield - in battle team member swap outs like in FFX - except team members would cross over the battle field borders to change.

A lot of cool ideas - some deprecated, but some still very much applicable.

It would also involve robots and mecha combat as well, ala Xenogears.

And there would of course be an overworld. Fuck this no-overworld bullshit that they've been using for the last few games. So much shit.

The game would involve 3 acts - 1 stationed on the starter world - futuristic, no magic, sci-fi world, with robots and shit. At the end of the act, the space-jump ship the game world was preparing would be ready - our heroes would be assigned as security detail to the space jump ship fleet. This is kinda like a tutorial world; not much time is spent here, other than to establish the character backgrounds, and the game systems (including the robot systems).

Second act - the ship does its inaugural jump - but it fucks them up of course. Their test jump brings them to a planet that they've never seen... and the moon is fucking nuts - it's a moon of blue water/fire - and blue phantasm dragon snake things are leaping across its surface. The ships have jumped close enough for one of these dragons to attack - smashes the ships to bits - the main ship which our heroes are on crashes into the planet.

From the wreckage, our heroes start out with a bike, a sword and a gun, while in a desert. They quickly run out of ammo and fuel and are forced to trudge through the world. They discover it's a low-tech world; a bit FFIX steampunk, but with a lot of magic and magic creatures.

The world they're on is divided into 2 continents; story takes place primarily on one continent. This act comprises something like 50% of the game (assuming that act 1 is 10%). They travel, meet companions and discover the dastardly bad guy is the well liked immortal ruler of the most powerful kingdom on the continent. The bad guy is very pragmatic in character, but also quite ruthless. He concerns himself with the 'greater good' as he defines it, without much heed for the manner in which its achieved.

This means that his kingdom is a relative paradise - efficient, good economy, well functioning. But he's also been waging brutal war on smaller kingdoms - very much inspired by Genghis Khan - if they surrender, he folds them into his empire, but if they resist (and of course some do), he crushes them.

The heroes start by discovering smaller more distant kingdoms that haven't been reached by the large kingdom yet. This gives the player opportunity to empathize with their plights, even as the heroes travel across the landscape to find answers on where the survivors of the ship are and how if it's even possible to return from whence they came.

They're conscripted into the valiant, but ultimately futile defense of smaller nation kingdoms - these kingdoms have an asian theme to them. Once taken over, they're a guerilla band of adventurers that seeks to topple the 'immortal emperor' - the guy seems like the nexus of the kingdoms competency but also its terror - they think that cutting the head off will change everything.

Also, simultaneously, rumours and stories of 'another world' lead them in the same direction.

The heroes fight, and they get to the boss - he's amused and admires their effort. Then of course engages them in a fight, showing overwhelming superiority. He toys with them at first, but the fight moves to the second stage, and the numbers are heavily stacked in his favour - 99% of players will be crushed no matter what they do. The 1% that have been power levelling and all kinds of crazy shit will push him to stage 3 for a nice easter egg, where he retreats and they find themselves in a scripted beat down by his royal guards (who are inspired by The Five Star Stories royal guards, as well as Star War's imperial royal guards - they're elite, dressed in red cloaks, have different fighting styles and personalities and all serve as sub bosses throughout the game).

They're still alive at the end of the fight - they're left alone - the emperor and his guards have fled. But his bro... the 'kain' of the story has been kidnapped. Disappears. They find clues, which lead them to the other continent on the other side of the planet. The continent is fairly desolate - no civilizations - but crazy dinosaur beasts and the like - it's a prehistoric continent with dangerous life. The heroes aren't here for long - they track the emperor and his cohorts to some magic mountain in the center of the continent. The nexus of the world. Chasing them, they seem to be getting closer - until they get to the center of the mountain - the font of all magic in this world. They're too late - these guys have already opened the portal... and 'kain' is hooded, but appears to be brainwashed.

Some shit happens (no idea - detail to be written), and the world fucking explodes. That wasn't a portal to another world. It was a crazy ass spell to bring together the world that Kain and Rain came from to fuse it with the world they're with now. The reason is that there's something in the first world that the emperor needs - something that he needs to tap into, and this is what they needed to do to get there. The emperor's plan all along was to acquire artifacts from the various nations that would allow them to cast this spell. It was never about beating down the other nations.

Anyway - this moves us into the third act of the game. This is kinda like FF6's ruined world. The world merger has caused temporal instability as well - not everything has arrived at once - things merge together over time, and even after a couple years, things are still arriving from the magic world onto the newly formed tech-magic world.

The hero is of course one of these things - washed up on the shore 2 years after the event - he's one of the last things to have made it; so he comes into a world that's on the way to recovering and adapting to the dramatic changes wrought onto it.

Anyway, the story centers upon reacquring his team mates for a few hours. Once that's done, they figure out what's happening, where the emperor is, what can be done - that involves acquring the newly built space-time traveling ship. Massive motherfucker. It's more like a gliding skyscraper building then it is a space ship (although it doesn't look like a skyscraper). Big enough to house mechs and a base of operations - because that's exactly what it's going to be.

The plan is to kill the emperor and unsplit the world - the heroes learn that they'll need to travel back to the magic world before its merged - once they get the ship sufficiently improved, this is exactly what they do - so the game goes into a stage where it allows the player to travel freely back and forth between the two 'planets' - acquiring artifacts (the same artifacts used to merge the worlds) and overthrowing the emperor's bases in the merged world.

They also have access to both sides of the planet - it turns out the 'old world' is also full of awesome monsters and shit. Like the ultimate monsters/weapons are floating around this world, waiting for the players and their mechs (that's right motherfucker - EPIC) to come blow the shit outta them. The toughest fights are of course optional and available on this world, as well as whatever challenge towers is traditional to an FF game.

This old world is before the rise of the emperor, so feature smaller villages - cutting down on development effort.

Anyway, once the artifacts are assembled, the bases are down, the players advance on the emperor.

They have to fight their way through the remaining royal guards, a few in their mechs. They get to the emperor - his right hand man is Kain. Looks different - more awesome. Like Angel Kain. Anyway, the hero is forced to fight Kain singly (as the emperor has trapped the rest of his crew), mortally wounding him. Emperor then fights the crew - stage 1 normal, stage 2, larger, spectral guards come to his aid, stage 3 - fucking massive - player gets into their mechs to fight him. Stage 4 - enhanced glowy version, 1 v 1 between the hero and the emperor - Kain, in the background, sacrifices himself, releasing his power to Rain - this turns rain into a half/demon/man beast (like Dante's devil mode from DMC).

Show down ends - the boss is lying, near death - at this point, the story is supposed to reveal to the player how the whole point of what the emperor was doing was to cause instrumentality - that's right... merging the spiritual/soul essence of the entire human race into himself, and becoming a unified being of energy. Only now he's dying, and he can't - but the player still can - he can choose to initiate singularity... or deny it.

Accepting it is of course not canon, but available to the player as an alternative ending sequence. Canon - he rejects it, the world doesn't split,unmerge... the recollected artifacts were in fact the method by which instrumentality would initiate - not the method by which the world could be unmerged - it can't.

Game ends with sequences showing what the various characters and places touched by the character ends up doing with their lives in this new world.

Also, the game would include mini-games to allow the main character to romance various female characters. Each female would be romanced differently - one would require the right set of options to be chosen at specific moments throughout the game - the serendipity character. Another could be asked out, and brought out to places. Another still can be gifted items found throughout the game.

It would've been the FF game that we all would've wanted really.

Famassu

The first thing I would do is take away some of the autonomy given to some of their rockstar development heads.
I assume you mean Nomura. He is involved in a lot of games, most of them some of the more successful ones for Square Enix (critically & sales-wise). If he wants to take his time with ONE game, this one game being of particularly ambitious kind, I don't see why anyone should have problems with it. Deus Ex 3's development took, what, 4+ years, so let's give Nomura & Versus that much time, at least (it's only been in development for 3,5 years, of which something closer to 1 year went to help Kitase's team finish XIII).

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Deus Ex 3's main development time was actually only two years. The other "two" was actually building up the team and some pre-development. It was one of the reasons why the bosses become outsourced.

Grisby

The World Ends With You and Kingdom Hearts BBS are as good as JRPGs as Deus Ex 3 is as a WRPG, so that's not really true.
I've got TWEWY on my DS backlog. Haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game.

For me, I guess I should have said, DXHR beats out every single square game I've played this gen such as FF13 and Nier (titles I did have fun with mind you).

legacyzero

Banned
After FFXIII, Square/Enix is pretty much dead to me. I'll attempt to play XIII-2 just to see if they can redeem themselves, but I'll be approaching it with expectations extremely low.

Eidos on the other hand has impressed me. Human revolution was amazing, and Tomb Raider will make the series valid again, as long as it takes out all the damn QTE.

Durante

Deus Ex was surprisingly good, so if that's the kind of quality we can expect from them that's fine with me.

Even the Japanese part of Square-Enix wasn't without its highlights this gen, Nier, TLR (PC) and TWEWY are all great games.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Out of the games of theirs I've played, both batmans, deus ex, nier, ff13, ff14, the only games that impressed me at all was just cause 2.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Square's best games for me this generation have to be Nier, FF13 (to some degree), and TWEWY.

batbeg

I just hope as a publisher the Japanese side picks up a little in regards to their trailing technology and output. I have enjoyed what I've played from them this generation (The Last Remnant and FFCC Crystal Bearers being my only console games from them, tbh, but I enjoyed them both greatly in addition to their handheld output) and plan to pick up other titles in the future (NieR, FFXIII around XIII-2s release [I watched my roommates play this and didn't care for it, but it's so cheap these days I may as well dip into it for my mildly hyped XIII-2]). But their future is starting to look better and more packed with potential to me, though I'm still maybe just optimistic for what used to be my favorite publisher :(

Eidos side I haven't bought anything, though Batman is a definite priority after Zelda/Uncharted, and I'm likely to try Deus Ex and Lara Croft in the future.

Back in 2001/2002, I came up with an idea for a Final Fantasy that would've been quite well recieved by GAFfers I think.

Sounds like a better Star Ocean, but I'd play it.

Astery

my thoughts:
- Eidos saved SE's ass line up, and saved SE from the total joke era (front mission evolved, ff14 etc.) . SE starts climbing back with FF type 0's release IMO.

- Wada continues to whore into the idea of western and global products, which I couldn't care less, but it seems that he's ditching Japanese side developers other than team 1 which is a problem to me. Why do I suspect that you ask? Recent games from Tri-Ace are all no longer published by SE, that's kind of weird to me.

Aside from the horrid FF XIV they are really delivering the goods for me. FF XIII is probably my favorite game this gen, and FF XIII-2 looks to be even better. The portable stuff has been really amazing as well. Type Zero is fantastic from what I played of the demo. I know a lot of people feel that Square Enix is dead to them b/c they hated FF XIII and XIV, but to me they are pretty damn hot right now with plenty more good stuff on the way.

Can't really comment on Eidos too much, because I didn't enjoy Deus EX HR. Would love to see them do something with the Legacy of Kain license though. Should be interesting to see what comes out of this merger as the years go by.

Famassu

Eidos is literally the only thing Square has going for it.
my thoughts:
- Eidos saved SE's ass line up, and saved SE from the total joke era (front mission evolved, ff14 etc.)
The World Ends With You
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Dissidia 1 & 012
Crisis Core
3rd Birthday
Dragon Quest IX
Type-0

All quality games. XIII, XIV & FME alone don't make this a "joke era" for Square Enix when a majority of the other stuff they've developed & published has been at least decent. As I said earlier, some of their decisions as a publisher have been lulzworthy, but otherwise they've still had a stellar output in recent years. Eidos is heading into the right direction, but so far Deus Ex 3, Batman AA & Just Cause 2 are the only games worth mentioning from them.

They're far past their prime, but I still buy most of Square proper's big games, and some of their smaller ones. They can still make interesting, unique games (never played a shooter quite like 3rd Birthday). Problem is I can't connect with ANY of their stories or characters any more. It's all total gobbledeegook.

Eidos struck gold with Deus Ex and much of my future happiness hinges on what they do with Thief. They're definitely setting themselves up to be Square's crown jewel.

Hmm S-E and my thoughts?

Honestly all of their(most) games that had them buck a trend for something different has been rewarding to play. Dissidia FF, World Ends with You, Kingdom Hearts BBS, Last Remnant, Nier, & etc. These games were/are really interesting to play mainly because their stepped out of bounds of what we were used to seeing/playing. FFXIII-2 is looking solid as well for all the ideas it's throwing out there.

As far as Eidos goes, it was a solid merger I mean look at Deus Ex. I'm also excited to see what comes of Tomb Raider.

I like their "off shoot" projects and look forward to more of them.

Top Bottom