• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spin's 300 Best Albums of the Past 30 Years (1985-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They only have one album that deserves to be in there though. Hot Fuss = incredible, everything after = meh.

Nope.

TK_Sam's-Town.jpg

Hot Fuzz is also too low on the list.

deli2000

"What?! Album X isn't on here? Is this list a fucking joke?"

"What the hell is Album Y doing on a greatest albums list? What a piece of shit."

Not a bad round up as these usual line ups go.

Glad The Queen is Dead got #5. Oasis' Whats The Story and Kate Bushs' Hounds of Love are too low IMO but that's list warz for you.

I'm surprised Kate Bush made the list but Peter Gabriel did not.
No Seal is another oddity. Dude had one of the biggest albums ever in the 90s.

"What?! Album X isn't on here? Is this list a fucking joke?"

"What the hell is Album Y doing on a greatest albums list? What a piece of shit."

yeah yeah, I get what you're going for. But having Rage's debut album as well as literally everything from Tool completely absent in a "best of" list this big is bizarre, really.

It's like making a "best of the 80s" list and leaving out Thriller completely.

Cmd + F Aphex Twin... good, though SAWII over 85-92...!? Anyway,

Cmd + F The Knife... good! Nice surprise.

Cmd + F Blur... No Think Tank!? But 13... weird, love them both...

Cmd + F Boards... okay, cool!

All in all, not bad.

deli2000

Where is the hell is Mumford and Sons on this goddamn list? Spin call themselves a music publication, but fail to put the indie rock masterpiece that is Sigh No More at number fucking one on this list? Give me a break.

My biggest gripe over an inclusion is probsbly Parquet Courts at 299. Not only is Sunbathing Animal not not their best album, it's not even their best album of 2014.

Edit: Also missing a Deerhunter album unless my eteyes have failed me twice.

Dead

well not really...yet
Some decent stuff listed, then you get trash like Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj.

lol spin

Counting Crows August and Everything After is also noticeably absent.

Good to see Fiona's When the Pawn... on there though.

No Pearl Jam's Ten is a HUGE omission as well. Goddamn this list...

The more I look at this list the more it's hard to justify everything after 2002 or so, with all the questionable omissions from the 80s and 90s that should be in there.

No Rage self titled
No Tool period
No Use your Illusion 1+2
Metallica's "Black Album" totally missing (?!)
Pearl Jam "ten" and "vs" absent

uh..these were MASSIVE albums and artists, what the hell.

Servbot24

Banned
That top 5 is absolutely embarrassing except for Prince.

Edit: Actually most of this list is awful. No wonder some people think music is getting worse if this is what they have access to.

These lists are always rage fuel, so I try not looking at them... But then I did. My mistake.

So:

• Nirvana at number 1 is awful, but somehow I expected it. Most overrated album. Couple that with having the only Soundgarden album on the list at 199 is just salt on the wound.
  • I get that there can't be more than 3 albums per artist on the list, but not having "In Rainbows" in the top 300 is a crime. And in Radiohead's catalogue, it is its finest IMO (I would take "The Bends" off the list in exchange)
  • "The Soft Bulletin" should be higher. Masterpiece.
  • Good on having Bjork there with her two albums. Homogenic is pretty high, awesome.
  • More Beck would've been good. "Sea Change", maybe.
  • "Grace" from Jeff Buckley should be in top ten, at least. Probably the best debut album, from the one of the best singers to have ever lived.
  • Not having The Mars Volta or Tool seals the deal and invalidates the list for me. Really?
So yeah, another rage fuel music ranking for me. YAY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom