• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Miles Morales sold 70% less copies than 2018's Spider-Man

Mister Wolf

Similar. I played through the main story, enjoyed it greatly, but that was it - I had zero interest in completing sidequests and other tasks, because the gameplay mechanics just can’t sustain my interest for more than 25-30 hours. I basically have zero interest in playing other SM games unless they totally reshape how the game is played.

I got so bored of spiderman at the end I didn't even bother playing the dlc I paid for.

Illo

1. Not a full blown game but a smaller game
2. People wanting to play it on PS5 when they can eventually get one as their first PS5 game.
3. $50 is too pricey for the amount of content.
4. Game's marketing period was very short
5. Covid and during a time where money is tight for a lot of people.
6. A lot of people still don't know it released on PS4 and thinks it's a PS5 exclusive because of how it was marketed.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
2. People wanting to play it on PS5 when they can eventually get one as their first PS5 game.
6. A lot of people still don't know it released on PS4 and thinks it's a PS5 exclusive because of how it was marketed.

The price is good for the amount of content. It took me about 12 or so hours to beat the game. And that's with me doing some side quests but not all of them. It'll probably take me 16 hours or so to Plat the game if I wanted to.

Schrade

What a lot if these lists don't include is that to many people Spider-Man is Peter Parker, not Miles Morales. I know I have no interest in all these comics changing out the main hero for someone else.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
100% price for an dlc, should have been bundled with enhanced spiderman for $30.

Last edited:

Kokoro2020

I'm planning to get it once I get a PS5. I wanted to get the GameStop bundle that include the game, but they were sold out. I pre-ordered the other bundle they had instead, and when I have that, I want to try trading one of the those games for this.

Umbral

I had just finished Spiderman and was so sick of the gameplay loop by that point that I didn’t even bother with the included DLC. There‘s was also no chance in hell I was buying it over Demon’s Souls.

Dazraell

Most of people are probably waiting until they will get PS5 and game itself will be sold a bit cheaper. A confusing marketing what Miles Morales exactly was probably didn't helped either.

I absolutely loved Miles, however, I think it would have sold a hell of a lot more at a 40/60 pricing vs 50/70. Especially in Europe where it’s 60/80. It should be 40/60 euro here.

I hope that the data arrives with Sony to show that selling at this price increase has actually lead to lower profit due to lost sales outweighing the extra revenue from the increase.

Illo

What a lot if these lists don't include is that to many people Spider-Man is Peter Parker, not Miles Morales. I know I have no interest in all these comics changing out the main hero for someone else.
Miles Morales is just another Spider-Man from another universe, not a outright replacement.

The point of having multiple spider-man's was the idea that the identity isn't just one person but a mantle anyone can be.

Spiderman wasn't replaced in his main comic run. And many heroes take up the role in other comics all the time (on top of my head green lantern, ant-man, Robin, ect).

I get what you mean, but I'm sure the percentage of people choosing not to buy the Spider-Man game because Miles is the main character is a very small minority.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Hasn't been bundled yet.

People need to realise that most of the massive first party sellers on Playstation get the majority of those sales through bundles. ie. being given away for free.

MagnesG

Banned
Pretty sure people would want to wait a little bit more as it only has an 8 hour campaign, Sony fans need the company to be more generous and lower down the price a bit, maybe $20.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
I’ll buy it when I can actually get a digital edition PS5. Sure as shit am not buying from a scalper.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

The game released on PS4 and PS5, what's the reason behind this big decline in sales? for me i didn't buy it because i was already tired of Spider-Man after spending more than 30 hours on the original game, i think Sony made a mistake releasing it too close to the original game.
No peter parker... no buy

As a massive Spider-man PS4 fan who hasn't played Miles Morales yet, I'm waiting to get a PS5. I want to play it on optimal hardware my first time through. If scalpers hadn't killed the supply, I probably would've played it already tbh

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Price is too steep for the amount of content it has. Should have released at $30 instead of being shoehorned-in with a Spiderman (2018) remaster just to keep the price above $50.
This game is just a "Expansion" so the quality is not the same as the Original Game.... and i agreed with you... as expansion should be 20$ Dollars.

Dabaus

Banned
I haven’t read all the comments but Has any body said that perhaps, the majority demographic of people who spend money on games weren’t all that thrilled about Sony and marvel diversifying a beloved super hero? I mean with gaming and marvel both at an all time high in terms of mindshare, it being available on PS4 with a much larger installed base than 2018, and rave reviews how do would you explain a 70 percent drop in sales? I think it’s pretty obvious what’s going on here.

I haven’t read all the comments but Has any body said that perhaps, the majority demographic of people who spend money on games weren’t all that thrilled about Sony and marvel diversifying a beloved super hero? I mean with gaming and marvel both at an all time high in terms of mindshare, it being available on PS4 with a much larger installed base than 2018, and rave reviews how do would you explain a 70 percent drop in sales? I think it’s pretty obvious what’s going on here.
Um no, because if that's anyone's reason they should get fucked. A black Spider-man is not taking away from your precious white Spider-man and you've had over a decade to get over it. And Miles is hardly some unappealing character with his own series and movies receiving critical acclaim and commercial success.

I'm sure someone wants to create this narrative, but fuck them.

First this own article already makes it known that they actually don't really know how well the game did and don't know the physical sales. That Sony has made no claim.

2nd even if it sold less, it's pretty clear why. Maybe some obnoxious try hards mad at Marvels attempt to deverisfy it's characters and thus crying about something not aimed at them did'nt buy it. But it's also the fact I'm not sure why anyone would expect a much less hyped, less pushed, expansion pack to sell just as well as the base game. A game billed pretty much as a side game. One not even marketed as a PS4 title.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
To be honest it probably cost 30% as much.

This is one series I am pretty cool with an every-other-year cadence for though, I liked MM a lot.

Last edited:
bootleg spiderman
8 hours
70 bucks

i wonder why.
I mean if you want to show your ass, be my guest.

But a character that's had a life over 10 years and now his own successful media presence is not a "bootleg" Spider-man.

And please, as if comics since the very begining haven't simply remixed a character. It's pretty much been a thing since Superman.

Also it wasn't $70 in the US unless you wanted the deluxe edition.

Dabaus

Banned
Um no, because if that's anyone's reason they should get fucked. A black Spider-man is not taking away from your precious white Spider-man and you've had over a decade to get over it. And Miles is hardly some unappealing character with his own series and movies receiving critical acclaim and commercial success.

I'm sure someone wants to create this narrative, but fuck them.

First this own article already makes it known that they actually don't really know how well the game did and don't know the physical sales. That Sony has made no claim.

2nd even if it sold less, it's pretty clear why. Maybe some obnoxious try hards mad at Marvels attempt to deverisfy it's characters and thus crying about something not aimed at them did'nt buy it. But it's also the fact I'm not sure why anyone would expect a much less hyped, less pushed, expansion pack to sell just as well as the base game. A game billed pretty much as a side game. One not even marketed as a PS4 title.
You’re...kind of making my case. “If you don’t like switching the main hero you know and love for diversity then fuck you.” That’s why almost every woke movie has bombed when theaters were still a thing and spider mans sales cratered 70 percent. Because if you don’t like it then fuck you, what a sales pitch.

ExpandKong

Banned

But a character that's had a life over 10 years and now his own successful media presence is not a "bootleg" Spider-man.

And please, as if comics since the very begining haven't simply remixed a character. It's pretty much been a thing since Superman.

You can always spot the reeeeturners when they start saying stuff like “show your ass” :messenger_expressionless:

Kerotan

That might be a factor but people waiting to buy on ps5 is a bigger one.

Spiderman wasn't replaced in his main comic run. And many heroes take up the role in other comics all the time (on top of my head green lantern, ant-man, Robin, ect).

I get what you mean, but I'm sure the percentage of people choosing not to buy the Spider-Man game because Miles is the main character is a very small minority.
Please, you know what thier real problem is.
You’re...kind of making my case. “If you don’t like switching the main hero you know and love for diversity then fuck you.” That’s why almost every woke movie has bombed when theaters were still a thing and spider mans sales cratered 70 percent. Because if you don’t like it then fuck you, what a sales pitch.
I mean I hate to break this to you, but your "woke" movies.....are Marvel movies. With the most "woke" Black Panther probably being one of the most successful.

What I'm saying if you are going to cry about something pretty irrelevant such as a black Spider-man when he is hardly taking away from whatever is you want, you can really get fucked. But if your so fragile to see anything like a simple spin-off with a character who is'nt white as "woke" then you have a problem.

And also again, this article really has no source.

I don't see how you can read Marvel comics or watch Marvel movies if you have this mindset.

ExpandKong

Banned
Yeah I don't like resetera's obnoxious whatever and I've never posted there. I also don't get upset over a non white Spider-man.

Sure thing pal

It's $49.99 and has like maybe 30mins of cutscenes in it's 8-10 hour campaign.

Do you people even play the games you shit on?

Not a $50 side quest I don’t lol.

Dabaus

Banned

I mean I hate to break this to you, but your "woke" movies.....are Marvel movies. With the most "woke" Black Panther probably being one of the most successful.

What I'm saying if you are going to cry about something pretty irrelevant such as a black Spider-man when he is hardly taking away from whatever is you want, you can really get fucked. But if your so fragile to see anything like a simple spin-off with a character who is'nt white as "woke" then you have a problem.

I don't see how you can read Marvel comics or watch Marvel movies if you have this mindset.
Sales are down 70 percent my guy. This is when Sony’s reputation as publisher is well known, marvel and spider man are probably near peak popularity, and clearly people are aware it’s at least available for ps4 (which has a much larger installed base since 2018) is 30 percent of 2018 sales. Something else is going on here.

Sales are down 70 percent my guy. This is when Sony’s reputation as publisher is well known, marvel and spider man are probably near peak popularity, and clearly people are aware it’s at least available for ps4 (which has a much larger installed base since 2018) is 30 percent of 2018 sales. Something else is going on here.
This dosen't cite any official numbers and is just the digital numbers at that. So we don't actually know what the title sold. Source also claims it sold better then Uncharted similar expansion.

You can read whatever you want into it, but it's pretty clear that like pretty much every other expansion of this type it's not going to sell anywhere close to the base game. Nor does anyone probably expect it to. It's a spin-off, a side project. Not anywhere close to the marketing push of the original, complete with what one trailer at a showing before it came out?

And are people clearly aware? Eh...people here don't even know how much it cost.

When does a spin-off expansion sell just like the main title? Believe whatever narrative you want. I don't care.

Kenpachii

eb15fd2dc7cc1fae13091606bcd43a61.png

It's not hard man. Nobody knows who miles morales is besides sony.

I always buy the top version because i want everything so 70 is the price for it. If the base version is the same game. Then they did on top of it a shit tier job explaining what the fuck they are selling.

To give you a example of how bad the value this game is. i paid 78 bucks for a 140 hours ac valhalla game. 8 hours i would straight up call being scammed and return the game the next day to the shop.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

The first game is still quite fresh in the memory and the sequel seems like an expansion more than anything, full priced release is a tough pill to swallow.
Most people actually think it’s a PS5 exclusive.

Anecdotal but I have plenty of friends who wants to play Miles Morales but tells me they don’t have a PS5 yet so they haven’t bought the game yet.
Also this, I genuinely didn’t realise it was out on PS4.

Miles Morales is the future of Spider-Man, everybody is sick of the lame ass stick in the mud Peter Parker. Less sales is accounted for by the fact that PS5 doesn't have anywhere near as many users as the PS4 and it was marketed as a PS5 game.

When the user base increases, this game will have wild legs and will outsell the original Spider-Man, I am certain of that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Why are you even talking to these bigot sandwiches, just let the game talk for itself. When Spider-Man Miles Morales eventually outsells the original Spider-Man and they kill off Peter Parker in the sequel so that he can take over, their tears will be delightful.

Some people just can't get over the fact that their favorite superhero isn't theirs anymore. Miles Morales is an overall better character than Peter Parker, who is a product of an outdated white world. Miles is a hero for POC folkx who need somebody to look up to in a post Trumpian world. Insomniac knows where the future is at and people need to understand that.

Just buy Miles Morales and enjoy the damn game already. It is actually really good and Miles is a really interesting character.

karasu

eb15fd2dc7cc1fae13091606bcd43a61.png

It's not hard man. Nobody knows who miles morales is besides sony.

I always buy the top version because i want everything so 70 is the price for it. If the base version is the same game. Then they did on top of it a shit tier job explaining what the fuck they are selling.

To give you a example of how bad the value this game is. i paid 78 bucks for a 140 hours ac valhalla game. 8 hours i would straight up call being scammed and return the game the next day to the shop.
You're being silly. People do know who Miles Morales is. He's not as well known as Peter Parker but he was featured in an Oscar-winning movie that earned hundreds of millions of dollars. People have also been campaigning for him to show up in the films for YEARS. They wanted Donald Glover to play him. There's been one than one Spider-man for probably longer than you've been alive. He is in no way bootleg. Even in the 90's, there was Spider-Man 2099, Ben Reily, etc.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Because it's not a full sequel therefore wasn't marketed as bigly as 2018.

I'm also under the impression people want to wait till ps5 to play it, or they don't know it's on ps4.
This. I was waiting to buy it with my PS5 but I just bought it recently since I haven't been able to get my PS5 yet

Should have been:

1. Should have just worked on ratchet and had it for a launch title and made this game a full sequel

2. Made it full blown sequel and delayed ratchet next holiday/ early 2022 (my choice)

I honestly wished this was a full blown sequel, as miles is an important character but this is probably setting this up for a character switch/ co-op game for the second main game
This is just Spiderman DLV for the PS4 with some minor upgrades for the PS5. Remember that.

Top Bottom