• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Previews Drop at 8AM PT on September 15

Topher

Gold Member

surprised oh my GIF

Feels very different from recent big releases. There is little mystery here. Don't need to sell me at all that the game will be well made and fun to play. And I have no expectation whatsoever that it is going to be good enough to vault itself into the GOTY conversation. Will be surprised if the previews are anything but glowing, and if it doesn't score in the 85-89 range.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Let's hope the engine does not hold back the game, and the space exploration can be playable when you take off and land when you are playing with Venom. Insomniac will be taking creative decisions with RT performance mode and RT 30 fps. If you love Insomniac Games you will love Spiderman 2, If it is a little slow at the beginning I hope it doesn't take 20 hrs to get good. And I guess when we play the NG+ Spiderman 2 will be GOTG.
I am liking what I am seeing. This game indeed looks and feels next gen to me.

Last edited:
This was completely out of the blue lol.

But I am curious to see what they thought of the game.

Not a single outlet that goes to one of these preview events will be truly honest and critical though. Every single hyped AAA game follows this rule these days. It's all about let me tell you only the good things and make sure to be as enthusiastic as possible for youtube clicks! It's really one of the worst aspects of the industry these days. It's about clout, clicks, and being in the good graces of publishers.

vivftp

Lol they waited for Starfield to pass and now they can follow-up on the Starfield drama.

Why would you think this has anything at all to do with Starfield? Spider-Man 2 releases in just over a month and they're kicking off the marketing campaign running up to launch. This is all normal and expected. There's a decent chance that a State of Play is coming soon which will also have another trailer for the game as well.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Spider-Man hype is massive and growing!!
Small and shrinking
So Close Atp GIF by Tennis TV

killatopak

Honestly never played the first one or Miles but Venom is making me change that. I REALLY REALLY enjoyed Ultimate Spiderman.

Killjoy-NL

Why would you think this has anything at all to do with Starfield? Spider-Man 2 releases in just over a month and they're kicking off the marketing campaign running up to launch. This is all normal and expected. There's a decent chance that a State of Play is coming soon which will also have another trailer for the game as well.
Because it is smart marketing. Moreso since it's safe to assume Sony delivers and they too know it.

You think Sony PR doesn't follow their competition and acts accordingly?

Besides, I never said they intentionally timed it like this due to Starfield. It's just an added benefit

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Honestly never played the first one or Miles but Venom is making me change that. I REALLY REALLY enjoyed Ultimate Spiderman.
First one was a good game. Miles was even better. It excited me to see a massive bump in quality in Miles, and I'm eager to see how they improve upon Miles in SM2.

Give those two a go if you're interested in SM2. Catch up with the story and everything.

vivftp

Because it is smart marketing. Moreso since it's safe to assume Sony delivers and they too know it.

You think Sony PR doesn't follow their competition and acts accordingly?

Besides, I never said they intentionally timed it like this due to Starfield. It's just an added benefit

You said they waited for SF to pass and then are following up. That's a claim of intent.

Just because I see the sun when I wake up in the morning doesn't mean it's making an appearance just for me. Some things were always going to happen regardless. Sony normally holds a September SOP/Showcase and one is rumored to be dropping soon (quite possibly Thursday), and it's natural that Spider-Man 2 would be there. They're aligning the previews to drop just after the rumored SOP.

Everything very likely would have played out just the same whether Starfield existed or not.

Killjoy-NL

You said they waited for SF to pass and then are following up. That's a claim of intent.

Just because I see the sun when I wake up in the morning doesn't mean it's making an appearance just for me. Some things were always going to happen regardless. Sony normally holds a September SOP/Showcase and one is rumored to be dropping soon (quite possibly Thursday), and it's natural that Spider-Man 2 would be there. They're aligning the previews to drop just after the rumored SOP.

Everything very likely would have played out just the same whether Starfield existed or not.
Timing for the start of the marketing-campaign can definitely have been based on the release Starfield and drama surrounding the reviews/performance.

If I were on Sony's PR team, I would start marketing the game right now as well.
MS/Bethesda didn't do wonderfully and now Sony can steal the spotlight and add to the PS5-momentum, because people will be looking what Sony will do with their next major title following Starfield.

Doesn't have to mean that they planned it exactly like this months ago.

Edit:

And in regards to SOP, let's be real, they can create one and release it whenever.

Last edited:

vivftp

Timing for the start of the marketing-campaign can definitely have been based on the release Starfield and drama surrounding the reviews/performance.

If I were on Sony's PR team, I would start marketing the game right now as well.
MS/Bethesda didn't do wonderfully and now Sony can steal the spotlight and add to the PS5-momentum, because people will be looking what Sony will do with their next major title following Starfield.

Doesn't have to mean that they planned it exactly like this months ago.

Edit:

And in regards to SOP, let's be real, they can create one and release it whenever.

So you think Sony threw together all the props, venues and everything at the last minute. Then invited all of these influencers over to the event for this preview event, all on the spur of the moment because you think they were trying to capitalize on "drama"? Friend, I say this with kindness, but that's an incredibly silly console warrior mentality. That's simply not the way things work.

Also, a SOP can not just be pulled out of thin air. Trailers take time to produce and vertical slices of games have to be polished enough well in advance to be able to create those trailers. It's why devs used to complain it would take several months to prepare for E3. A SOP doesn't just drop on a whim, it would be planed out WELL in advance. Now the fact that they wait to announce the SOP does afford them some flexibility, but as I pointed out they've been consistent with a September SOP/Showcase for years now.

Killjoy-NL

So you think Sony threw together all the props, venues and everything at the last minute. Then invited all of these influencers over to the event for this preview event, all on the spur of the moment because you think they were trying to capitalize on "drama"? Friend, I say this with kindness, but that's an incredibly silly console warrior mentality. That's simply not the way things work.

Also, a SOP can not just be pulled out of thin air. Trailers take time to produce and vertical slices of games have to be polished enough well in advance to be able to create those trailers. It's why devs used to complain it would take several months to prepare for E3. A SOP doesn't just drop on a whim, it would be planed out WELL in advance. Now the fact that they wait to announce the SOP does afford them some flexibility, but as I pointed out they've been consistent with a September SOP/Showcase for years now.
Read what I said again. Some of what you say is putting words in my mouth.

Maybe if you wouldn't read my post as a "silly console warrior mentality", it might be more logical.

Especially in regards to the SOP, because when the reports of an upcoming SOP started popping up, it was clear that a definitive date wasn't set in stone yet.
Neither did I say or imply that a SOP can be created in a day or 2.

And obviously the marketing for Spider-Man 2 isn't entirely reactionary. That's a given.

Last edited:

vivftp

Read what I said again. Some of what you say is putting words in my mouth.

Maybe if you wouldn't read my post as a "silly console warrior mentality", it might be more logical.

Especially in regards to the SOP, because when the reports of an upcoming SOP started popping up, it was clear that a definitive date wasn't set in stone yet.
Neither did I say or imply that a SOP can be created in a day or 2.

And obviously the marketing for Spider-Man 2 isn't entirely reactionary. That's a given.

Welp this has gone on longer than I wanted it to. Even if we're not in agreement, I'm gonna just end it here. Enjoy the previews!

Top Bottom