• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

I liked the camera control on the episode as well kind of funny at times

The thing I loved most about this season of dandy was how they basically sprinkled the rules of the show all through it. Dimension hopping, dandy deaths, etc. It was all building up to this finale

Part of me feels the court case dimension thing as well will be brought up next episode

So is that army at the end the empire's guys? I assume they want him because of his dimensional powers. Does he even know he has these abilities? Is he totally in the dark about this?

The only lame thing is they haven't had them all die ridiculously at all in the second half of the show. It's like, he stopped dying all the time, but now all of a sudden they're exploring why he kept coming back.

DarkKyo

Epsiode 25

For an episode which seems to be written with the message of "this is a huge waste of time, but hey the finale is coming up next week!" it was pretty fun. In the end it was an episode which really had nothing to do with Dandy at all, and was mostly an excuse for the show to pretend to have a court case. I liked the camerawork a lot, and while it's clearly a very, very economical episode, I think it looked interesting most of the time. I think the only drawback is that there just wasn't much content. It's the sort of gag which would have been much better as a short bonus episode rather than a full runtime. I don't think it was actually bad though, until episode 19! *cough*

Next week is going to be insane in terms of animation. They're going to go all out for the finale with all the major supporting characters and stuff. Can't wait. Lol.

The sole purpose of the episode seems to once again point to Dandy's mysterious properties/power as the reason he gets tied up in unusual situations like these -- did you miss that part? lol or are you still trying to ignore that half of Dandy's character?

So is that army at the end the empire's guys? I assume they want him because of his dimensional powers. Does he even know he has these abilities? Is he totally in the dark about this?

He acts oblivious to it but who really knows. This episode he couldn't really address or learn of the pionium stuff because he was asleep :p

duckroll

The sole purpose of the episode seems to once again point to Dandy's mysterious properties/power as the reason he gets tied up in unusual situations like these -- did you miss that part? lol or are you still trying to ignore that half of Dandy's character?

I'm not ignoring it, it doesn't really change anything. His power is a gimmick, and the show has always treated it as such. It's basically a license to come up with whatever scenario they want for a given story in the series, which is pretty smart. He's an energy source which can create any sort of reaction, he can transcend time and space, he can hop dimensions, etc.

The story itself here though is just "Dandy fell asleep while he was being accused of murder and they determined it wasn't murder but something else altogether, all before he woke up. It's something which could have been a much shorter bonus episode and still have all the same content in.

Dandy's power is the definition of plot device, where it's used when convenient for the episode, usually those dealing with interdimensional travel. Next week will be great though.

DarkKyo

I'm not ignoring it, it doesn't really change anything. His power is a gimmick, and the show has always treated it as such. It's basically a license to come up with whatever scenario they want for a given story in the series, which is pretty smart. He's an energy source which can create any sort of reaction, he can transcend time and space, he can hop dimensions, etc.

The story itself here though is just "Dandy fell asleep while he was being accused of murder and they determined it wasn't murder but something else altogether, all before he woke up. It's something which could have been a much shorter bonus episode and still have all the same content in.

This isn't Gurren Lagann -- his power isn't some random energy source that is dependent on his spirit or will, and it's not some random throw away power that has been ignored by the show. It's a crucial element to the character that has had a powerful role in most episodes(you know, all the evidence I have been listing throughout the entire series that you have been passing off as a lunatic's fan theory). Did you not say back in season 1 that they wouldn't explain it, address it, or have a finale that wasn't another random short story? You took the risk of claiming things were the way you imagined them to be and those things turned out to be wrong. We both took that risk.

TV shows doing court episodes is one of my least favorite things. I only remember this opinion when a TV show, comedy especially, that has no legal framing attempts to do one. Dandy cut through the BS and went rapid fire to fly through the proceedings in a manner that kept it interesting.

Dandy is a bad friend and he should feel bad about his true feelings being aired like that.

Now the mystery about why he's different than everyone else should hopefully have a good answer next week. If this is the end, baby, let's go all out.

duckroll

This isn't Gurren Lagann -- his power isn't some random energy source that is dependent on his spirit or will, and it's not some random throw away power that has been ignored by the show. It's a crucial element to the character that has had a powerful role in most episodes(you know, all the evidence I have been listing throughout the entire series that you have been passing off as a lunatic's fan theory). Did you not say back in season 1 that they wouldn't explain it, address it, or have a finale that wasn't another random short story? You took the risk of claiming things were the way you imagined them to be and those things turned out to be wrong. We both took that risk.

Do you really think they have "explained" it in a serious way? What's Pyonium energy? It's a mysterious energy source which can transcend space and time, and no one really understands it or knows what it is. It allows Dandy to get into ridiculous situations with hilarious conclusions. What else is it? Do you think I'm missing something here? :)

It's funny you mention Gurren Lagann, because the drill power in Gurren Lagann isn't some "random" power either which is ignored by the show. It's a fundamental theme in the series. It's also made up bullshit which is there because it's "cool". Don't really see the difference here. My point was always that the series isn't some deep interconnected story. The stories are all stand alone, and they don't really have any impact on another story or on the climax. In the end, even when the Dandy is finally captured and his power is harnessed, that doesn't really mean much for the previous episodes!

I was definitely wrong about the finale not being a big "plot" episode though. But that's cool too, cause I'm looking forward to it too, and I want to see what they come up with regarding a weaponized Dandy. :)

DarkKyo

Do you really think they have "explained" it in a serious way? What's Pyonium energy? It's a mysterious energy source which can transcend space and time, and no one really understands it or knows what it is. It allows Dandy to get into ridiculous situations with hilarious conclusions. What else is it? Do you think I'm missing something here? :)

It's funny you mention Gurren Lagann, because the drill power in Gurren Lagann isn't some "random" power either which is ignored by the show. It's a fundamental theme in the series. It's also made up bullshit which is there because it's "cool". Don't really see the difference here. My point was always that the series isn't some deep interconnected story. The stories are all stand alone, and they don't really have any impact on another story or on the climax. In the end, even when the Dandy is finally captured and his power is harnessed, that doesn't really mean much for the previous episodes!

I was definitely wrong about the finale not being a big "plot" episode though. But that's cool too, cause I'm looking forward to it too, and I want to see what they come up with regarding a weaponized Dandy. :)

I can only imagine they'll dump a ton of exposition into the last plot episode, maybe explaining why Dandy has such strong levels of Pionium or whatever it's called/spelled. They also mentioned in this episode that Dandy lacks DNA? I find that troubling because I am starting to doubt he is human lol

It may just be a cheesy plot device to drive crazy story actions/elements forward but in that way it's been an integral force from the start and really does explain Dandy's(and perhaps his close friends') ability to die/zombify/be sent millions of years into the future and re-emerge next episode being good old Dandy again. Those may all just be silly moments and jarring ways to close out stories but at least we know it's like that for a reason(however vague the reason might be). They could have just as well not explained that stuff and the series would have been just as entertaining. I think we need to wait until the finale to reserve judgement on how well they tie all the "loose ends" of the series up in one final blow. Basically a lot is riding on the finale plot/explanation-wise.

The one other thing I have to say is I love how much the series barely touched on his power while having it become more and more prominent with each episode. What started as an "oh-my-god-they-killed-dandy!" trend slowly became more and more substantial as an actual plot device. Some characters(like Dr. Gel) began noticing their own repeating mortality rate, other characters began noticing there was something special and odd about Dandy. Then we learned he could access other dimensions and about him being imbued with Pionium.. little by little making Dandy a god-like entity all while still being a Dandy guy(in other words, being completely oblivious to anything outside of the norm). It's been a great ride through time and space and I can't wait to see how it could possibly unfold and conclude in the final episode.

duckroll

Yeah, actually the DNA point is pretty interesting. That's the one thing that this episode introduced which wasn't already alluded to in previous episodes. The reason why I think the pionium thing isn't really a huge deal in this episode is because it's already been mentioned so many times in the past, it's basically the macguffin that ties Dandy to Dr Gel. The lack of DNA does suggest that he might not even be a human though. Then again, i kinda wonder, are any of the human characters on this show even human? Honey looked human, but she's half-Cloudian! What about Scarlet? Damn, I wish there were more Scarlet episodes. :(

DarkKyo

Yeah, actually the DNA point is pretty interesting. That's the one thing that this episode introduced which wasn't already alluded to in previous episodes. The reason why I think the pionium thing isn't really a huge deal in this episode is because it's already been mentioned so many times in the past, it's basically the macguffin that ties Dandy to Dr Gel. The lack of DNA does suggest that he might not even be a human though. Then again, i kinda wonder, are any of the human characters on this show even human? Honey looked human, but she's half-Cloudian! What about Scarlet? Damn, I wish there were more Scarlet episodes. :(

So true.. they introduce Scarlet early on as a badass who can fight and all she gets an episode where she is a lonely spinster and an episode where she needs a fake boyfriend... then a couple bit part episodes.. what the hell is that! Unless she has a major role in the finale(and she might!) then they may have wasted a good deal of her character.

I think it would be ironic and quite possible if Dandy the alien hunter was actually the rarest alien in all of time/space.

I just wish there were more episodes period. Unlike other shows this one is so random and have so many people involved you'll never run out and of ideas.

Soma

Haha. The punchline to this episode was so silly that I can't help but be amused by it. Definitely a weaker episode but I didn't think it was bad. Had a really distinct visual direction through out the entire episode and the alien designs were great.

Really excited for the last episode. Animation from the preview looks insane.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Is the next episode the series finale? :(

Don't worry. The episode title is meant to be a hint. "Never Ending Dandy" = Dandy's going to become an episodic sandbox that gets passed around between different studios and directors to experiment with for the next 50 years.

As someone coming into this completely new, what version is the better watch dub or sub?

I loved both the English dubs for Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, but I generally tend to dislike 70% of the dubs out there.

Levyne

Banned
As someone coming into this completely new, what version is the better watch dub or sub?

I loved both the English dubs for Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, but I generally tend to dislike 70% of the dubs out there.

Well chances are then you'd go with the sub. Though I think the dub is fine.

Since there's only 3 primary characters it would just really depend on how you take to their performances. And the auto-tune on QT in the dub.

The English dub is by far the better of the too. The Funimation guys put a lot of soul into the lines the English voice actors read and their delivery is outstanding.

The dub was done so amazingly and it works so well with the "baby" that it seems almost like the only choice. Plus the dub version has the amazing lonely nights dub.

edit: no but seriously whose dick do I gotta suck to get an OST with a full english lonely nights?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That episode was pretty bad. It reminded me a little of the episode form Panty & Stocking, but then it went weirder than that. 😛

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Nope. Better jokes in the dub.

For instance:

"This is Plant Trendy, a popping joint where you will find the hippest couples in the universe dropping it like it's hot. If you want to show your bae that you da man, then you best turn up here. Er'body in the place be swaggin'. Don't matter whether shortie like hangin' outdoors or getting crunk in da club. If you got the scrilla, Planet Trendy got yo back."

Dub all the way, man.

Nope. Better jokes in the dub.

The dub messes up some things as well. Like when Dandy is singing during the concert and rubbing himself, the girls in the audience start screaming. The dub excluded that. They also changed the script in the first episode when Dandy wants Honey to guess what he does for a living. The dub made her sound like an airhead.

I just prefer the sub voices.

So one more episode and it's over?

a potentially great episode, but yes

i6DeGh6ZH3Dfv.gif

The dub messes up some things as well. Like when Dandy is singing during the concert and rubbing himself, the girls in the audience start screaming. The dub excluded that. They also changed the script in the first episode when Dandy wants Honey to guess what he does for a living. The dub made her sound like an airhead.

I just prefer the sub voices.

The lack of the audience screaming kind of pales in comparison to the song being miles better in English. And as far as the Honey thing goes, that payoff doesn't even come until episode 19, long after it's been forgotten. But even then, the character writing in the show isn't the most consistent thing in the world to begin with. These seem like really small complaints that don't actually affect the enjoyment of the show.

Jex

Dub is the only choice

I just don't see that being the case. For all the stupidity of all the sub/dub debates over the years, Space Dandy is one of the very few shows where you can say that both audio tracks are worth listening to. They each have their own different strengths.

Leaving aside questions of translation, the dub inserts it's own jokes and humour which is fine, I just happen to find most of those additions pretty tiresome. Plenty of people would disagree, but I find it horribly forced, especially the narrator. The songs are also better in Japanese.

I find the Japanese main cast to be flat out better with a greater range. In addition, all the supporting cast in Japanese are amazingly well played by a legion of great Japanese voice actors while the list of notable US dub actors is pretty thin.

Still, considering the complexity and variety of work required for the dub actors they do an amazing job and the script is really polished in English. It's also better to listen to a dub because it doesn't force your eyes to the bottom of the screen, when you should be paying attention to the visuals. This is really the problem with any subtitled work, of course.

You guys are really passionate about this issue! Thanks for all the suggestions, I just watched both versions (dub/sub) of the first episode and I think I'll stick with the dub.

With the exception of Kids on the Slope, when it comes to Shinichiro Watanabe the dubs have been my go to. (Cowboy Bebop's dub being legendary for a reason)

As a total newbie to the series, I dislike the auto-tune on QT but love Dandy's English VA.

Jex

You dub nerdz probably wouldn't know this, but QT's voice does actually feature some electronic distortion in the Japanese as well, it's just far subtler.

but the auto-tune on QT is so good! It pays off multiple times later.

Sub QT has an adorable voice that cracks me up when he's sarcastic or pitiable.

You guys are really passionate about this issue! Thanks for all the suggestions, I just watched both versions (dub/sub) of the first episode and I think I'll stick with the dub.

With the exception of Kids on the Slope, when it comes to Shinichiro Watanabe the dubs have been my go to. (Cowboy Bebop's dub being legendary for a reason)

As a total newbie to the series, I dislike the auto-tune on QT but love Dandy's English VA.

I really like the dubs in Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, but the Dandy dub just didn't do it for me. Dandy's dub voice is really good too, no argument there.

RPGCrazied

That episode was weird, but that was hilarious dandy
sleeping
the entire time. Next week is the finale, booo, really like the show. I hope a season 2 comes, but also hope for story arc's, having every episode its own story is something I'd like changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom